As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    I don't have much interest in D3 but I have wanted to try torchlight. This is q sweet deal but have never tried. Should I get it? Sell me!

camo_sig2.png
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I don't have much interest in D3 but I have wanted to try torchlight. This is q sweet deal but have never tried. Should I get it? Sell me!

Its like Borderlands without the guns and attitude. It was one of the first games I purchased once I had a gaming capable PC and played it a lot, until I got into Terraria and Dungeon Defenders.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Have you played any Diabloesque games before? Torchlight is one where you can tell your dog to go sell crap for you. Plus the game is SUPER moddable, unlike Diablo.

If you haven't played any Diabloesque games before, just imagine that you click a lot of things and there are shiny explosions of pixels everywhere and it will tap directly into the part of your brain matter that desires loot (some of which may even be phat loot).

• Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Have you played any Diabloesque games before? Torchlight is one where you can tell your dog to go sell crap for you. Plus the game is SUPER moddable, unlike Diablo.

If you haven't played any Diabloesque games before, just imagine that you click a lot of things and there are shiny explosions of pixels everywhere and it will tap directly into the part of your brain matter that desires loot (some of which may even be phat loot).

This, it's my favourite Diablo-style game, even better than Diablo 2, IMO. A really fun game, with lots of colourful loot, and it's great fun to play.

• starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I've played Diablo 1 and 2, but I always felt a little...confined by character choices/classes. Which is why I'll be skipping 3.

I like being able to make and remake and remake characters to try different things. or spec/respec.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    So, just got an e-mail from Cryptic Studios, telling me my account information may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party, and that I can go to the Champions Online or Star Trek Online websites to recover my password, etc.

I have never played Champions Online or Star Trek Online.

City of Heroes/Villains? A Beta or trial?

Phishing?

I got one today to, and did some quick research to find out they were Compromised in 2010 and are just NOW announcing it. And it seems it's Cryptic's database at the time, but since PW now has STO their behind the announcement?

50433.png?1708759015
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

I like to call Torchlight an awesome 15 hour game that unfortunately took 18 hours to play through. I was loving the looting and the blowing things up and the dungeon crawling for most of it, but the last few levels kind of turned into a slog to the end. I was so powerful that nothing could really slow me down and it actually got tedious rounding up a room full of dragons and making them explode.

That said, the first game was pretty much a "here's our engine and a little bit of story slapped on to it, please buy it so we can afford to do the game we really want to do" so Torchlight II is going to be a day one for me; I really want to see what they've come up with.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Like co-op

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    What's a better investment?

Wired 360 controller
    Wireless adapter for PC to use the 2 360 controllers I already have
    PS3 controller since my laptop has bluetooth

Which controller is more comfortable for you? I dig the dual shock, but most people prefer the 360 pad.

The cheapest option is to use the PS3 controller, since you'd just need a USB cable and some free software.

Wired 360 controller will cost more and might not be easy to find, but it would be pnp.

Wireless adaptor would be the best, but I've heard a few people complainin that the official ones burn out quickly.

A wired 360 controller is $25-30 on Amazon. Sony's PS3 controllers are wireless, so you'd pay about $10 more. Plus, most modern PC games support the 360 controller out of the box.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Penumbra wrote: »

Its like Borderlands without the guns and attitude. It was one of the first games I purchased once I had a gaming capable PC and played it a lot, until I got into Terraria and Dungeon Defenders.

I haven't played much borderlands but how the heck are Borderlands and Torchlight anything alike?

steam_sig.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Penumbra wrote: »

I haven't played much borderlands but how the heck are Borderlands and Torchlight anything alike?

Very broadly speaking, in terms of the focus on looting ever-spiffier equipment.

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    I just hate that Torchlight II is using bitterness as a selling point.

steam_sig.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I've played Diablo 1 and 2, but I always felt a little...confined by character choices/classes. Which is why I'll be skipping 3.

I like being able to make and remake and remake characters to try different things. or spec/respec.

without hijacking the thread i'd actually suggest you look into the diablo 3 skill system when you have the time, it leans a bit more towards what you seem to desire

i can't remember if respec potions were in torchlight by default by now or if you had to mod it, but either way you can get them in the game.

there's basically three classes: Melee Guy, Ranged Guy, and Magic Guy

liEt3nH.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

Torchlight 2 sounds perfect for you then with the customizable characters and builds.

Steam: offday
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Edit: Not worth it.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

This is for realsies the best thing about Borderlands. You can respec for a small fee, which allows you to switch between a build tailored toward singleplayer when you're on your own, or a build centered more on multiplayer when you're co-opping with your friends.

You can also pump a bunch of skill points into a skill you're unsure of to see how well it meshes with your playstyle, and not have to worry about making a huge mistake with your character. You never have that moment where you realize your level 20 character is now worthless because you picked the "wrong" skills.

• BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Torchlight II is up for preorder now at $19.99: http://store.steampowered.com/app/200710/

Special preorder deal: preorder the game and get the first Torchlight for free. Only problem there is who doesn't already own Torchlight?

Anyone know if it'll work gifting someone the preorder? Looking forward to playing this with friends, wanted to gift it to them and get them the free copies of Torchlight 1. Also, I assume when it gets the Mac version you get it for free if you have the PC one, right?

• EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Torchlight was the 3rd game I ever bought on Steam, so it's nice to see the sequel heading our way at last. I assume we're going to set up a lot of groups to run it together. Hopefully it isn't region locked!

• testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    There was some serious cuteness for the Evochron contest. In the end I'm calling a tie.
    Here are the winning entries:

@Sir Carcass
    FunCage-cute-baby-animal-11-480x333.jpg
    The way the kitten is looking at the little mouse... you just know it's going to turn bloody in a few moments, for now... SO CUTE.

@Ashe
    cute-adorable-baby-animals-0102-baby-rabbit1.jpg
    It's a baby bunny going "YAY!" 'Nuff said.

Friend me on Steam to accept your prizes!

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Torchlight II is up for preorder now at $19.99: http://store.steampowered.com/app/200710/

Special preorder deal: preorder the game and get the first Torchlight for free. Only problem there is who doesn't already own Torchlight?

Anyone know if it'll work gifting someone the preorder? Looking forward to playing this with friends, wanted to gift it to them and get them the free copies of Torchlight 1. Also, I assume when it gets the Mac version you get it for free if you have the PC one, right?

If you gift the pre-order it should work just like buying it for yourself. Your friend gets T1 and the T2 pre-order. If he already owns T1 he should get a spare copy to gift.
    And yes, you get the Mac version for free if/when the game gets converted and becomes Steamplay.

camo_sig2.png
  • TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    SO how does one go about joining the steam group? I wouldnt mind playing some Civ 5 if theres ever a group playing that as well, noticing a lot of games i play in peoples sigs.

Add me on Steam and I'll add you later tonight (though admittedly it won't be until like, 11 CST.)

Added you.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

without hijacking the thread i'd actually suggest you look into the diablo 3 skill system when you have the time, it leans a bit more towards what you seem to desire
    Yeah, Diablo 3 is way different, in terms of skill systems, than Diablo 1 and 2. The only penalty for "respecs" is a short cooldown timer when you switch your skills. It freely encourages experimentation and constructing/deconstructing builds the way you want. Instead of investing a ton of points into a single skill, not knowing whether those skills will benefit you at the endgame, you unlock more and more options for your existing skills, as if you had a build that put 1 point in everything, and all of those skill choices are viable in different contexts.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • aboyfromhellaboyfromhell Registered User new member
    edited April 2012
    Anyone know how I can buy the 4-pack of TL2 to get 4 copies in my inventory to gift?

aboyfromhell on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Anyone know how I can buy the 4-pack of TL2 to get 4 copies in my inventory to gift?

You can't. 4-packs always grant you one ungiftable copy and 3 giftable copies.

• JeixJeix Registered User regular

You can't. 4-packs always grant you one ungiftable copy and 3 giftable copies.

Wow, I am glad you mentioned this. I can totally see myself doing this by mistake.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    There was some serious cuteness for the Evochron contest. In the end I'm calling a tie.

@Sir Carcass
    The way the kitten is looking at the little mouse... you just know it's going to turn bloody in a few moments, for now... SO CUTE.

@Ashe

Daawwwwww.....

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    I'm so excited for Torchlight 2!

50433.png?1708759015
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Blendtec wrote: »

If you gift the pre-order it should work just like buying it for yourself. Your friend gets T1 and the T2 pre-order. If he already owns T1 he should get a spare copy to gift.
    And yes, you get the Mac version for free if/when the game gets converted and becomes Steamplay.

Excellent, thank you!

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

@Sir Carcass

@Ashe

Oh wow, that was super classy of you! Thank you so much. I couldn't decide if kittens, puppies, bunnies, or mice were cuter, so I found a picture that had all of them. All it needed was a smiling baby giving them all a hug.

Are there any PA MP servers for this game still going?

• .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm totally pumped for Torchlight 2 but now this fantasy/magic version of Civilization struck my attention out of the blue and I'm intrigued! http://store.steampowered.com/app/203630/

If it is essentially Civ 5 in a fantasy setting that sounds awesome to me.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    I'm totally pumped for Torchlight 2 but now this fantasy/magic version of Civilization struck my attention out of the blue and I'm intrigued! http://store.steampowered.com/app/203630/

It does look that way. I too am intrigued.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    so uh, i just got my first PC?
    i bought dead space 2, what else should i get? i grabbed SMNC, and own like, 5 games.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Depends on how far back you want to go. And what you like. You could just buy anything anyone raves about in this thread, too.

i bought dead space 2, what else should i get? i grabbed SMNC, and own like, 5 games.

One of Us, One of Us!

50433.png?1708759015
  • AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    Risen 2 preload is up. The reviews have been a bit mixed. I hope it's more a case of the game being too hard or niche for reviewers (Gothic 2, Risen) more so than there being actual major problems with the game (Gothic 3).

• vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    .Tripwire. wrote: »

It does look that way. I too am intrigued.

Totalbiscuit did a quick look on the game and yep, it's pretty much Fantasy Civ 5, even the UI is similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ydHz7X4GF8

That said, this is a good thing and I want it.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

Alpha Protocol
    Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed 2, and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
    Audiosurf
    Bastion
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Ben There, Dan That / Time Gentlemen, Please!
    Borderlands
    Braid
    Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, Earned in Blood, and Hell's Highway
    Bulletstorm
    Call of Duty, Call of Duty: United Offensive, Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty 4
    Cave Story
    Civilization V
    Company of Heroes and Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
    Costume Quest
    Crimson Skies
    Crysis and Crysis: Warhead
    Dark Forces, Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, Dark Forces 3: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, and Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy
    Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
    Darwinia
    Dawn of War II: Retribution
    Dead Space
    DEFCON, Darwinia, Uplink
    Defense Grid: The Awakening
    Deus Ex, Deus Ex 2, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    DIRT 3
    Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
    Dungeons of Dredmor
    Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy)
    Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout: New Vegas
    Freedom Fighters
    Freedom Force and Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich
    Frozen Synapse
    Galactic Civilizations II
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    GRID
    Grim Fandango
    Hitman: Something or other
    Homeworld 2
    IL2 Sturmovik: 1946
    Jade Empire
    Just Cause 2
    Killing Floor
    King's Bounty: The Legend
    Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Legend of Grimrock
    Lego Star Wars and Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
    LIMBO
    Mafia and Mafia II
    Max Payne and Max Payne 2
    Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries
    Men of War: Assault Squad
    Metro 2033
    Mirror's Edge
    Monkey Island
    Mount and Blade Warband
    Napoleon: Total War
    Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
    No One Lives Forever and No One Lives Forever 2
    Overlord and Overlord 2
    Painkiller
    Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode 1 and 2
    Portal and Portal 2
    Proun
    RAGE
    Recettear
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat
    S.W.A.T 4
    Sam and Max: Season 1 and 2
    Sequence
    Sid Meier's Pirates!
    Sim City 4
    Sins of a Solar Empire
    Skyrim
    Space Marine
    SpaceChem
    Spelunky
    Splinter Cell and all its sequels
    Super Meat Boy
    Sword of the Stars
    System Shock 2
    The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay and Assault on Dark Athena
    The Longest Journey
    The Ur-Quan Masters / Star Control 2
    The Walking Dead
    Thief, Thief 2, Thief III
    Tomb Raider: the newer ones
    Total War: SHOGUN 2
    Trackmania United Nations
    Tropico 4
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
    VVVVVV
    World in Conflict
    World of Goo
    Worms: Armageddon
    X-COM: UFO Defense, Terror from the Deep, and Apocalypse
    X3: Terran Conflict
    Zeno Clash

Plus anything with 5 or 4.5 stars on GoG.com, like:
    Alpha Centauri
    Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
    Arx Fatalis
    Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II
    Beneath a Steel Sky
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Descent 3
    Dungeon Keeper 2
    Freespace and Freespace 2
    IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946
    Jagged Alliance 2
    Master of Magic
    Master of Orion 2
    Outcast
    Planescape: Torment
    Psychonauts
    Sacrifice
    Tex Murphy
    The Witcher and The Witcher 2
    Wing Commander I through IV
    Duke Nukem 3d
    Blood

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

-this list has been snipped for time

In short, All of steam.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Actually, I never got around to getting it...
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Yeah, Diablo 3 is way different, in terms of skill systems, than Diablo 1 and 2. The only penalty for "respecs" is a short cooldown timer when you switch your skills. It freely encourages experimentation and constructing/deconstructing builds the way you want. Instead of investing a ton of points into a single skill, not knowing whether those skills will benefit you at the endgame, you unlock more and more options for your existing skills, as if you had a build that put 1 point in everything, and all of those skill choices are viable in different contexts.
    My only real complaint that there didn't seem to be a way to hotkey skill changing. Even just being able to click on that skill slot on your toolbar to select another would be a real time/wrist saver.
    Corpekata wrote: »
    I got a cheap 10 buck wireless adapter for my 360 controller and it works flawlessly.

Safest route is probably the wired controller though. PS3 should work fine but you'll get to mess with some software when running it all the time generally so it can be a small hassle.

If you get one of the wireless dongles, they're all basically licensed Chinese knockoffs at this point since MS doesn't make them anymore. Some come with driver discs, some don't, but I've heard that even the ones that do the drivers on disc don't work well. I had to go to the MS website and download the latest 360 pad driver for mine. After that though it's worked like a champ. The battery even seems to last a lot longer.

steam_sig.png
  • hadokenhadoken Registered User regular

Honestly, If I was you I'd avoid buying games unless I'm actually going to play them. Having all the games I've got on steam has kinda ruined the special feeling that getting a new game used to be.

Also http://store.steampowered.com/app/209100/ RE: Racoon city has a heaps cool trailer, I wonder if it would translate to PC very well though.

This discussion has been closed.