As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]nequa don't live here no mo'

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    I have to say that Speed Racer was a terrible movie, from any kind of perspective. I think it was so bad, that it is actually harmfull to the whole world of cinema, I have the same opinion on transformers movies, all of them. The "depth" of the image, or the FPS used, I think are lost in the public toilet that that movie was... and yes, I saw it.. at least a part of it. *puts on helmet and ducks for cover*

I loved Speed Racer.

It is effectively a longer, 'live action' version of a saturday morning cartoon.

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    I've never understood 3d as an attraction. A good film is immersive without it, and a bad film with it isn't going to be saved by it.

I really liked it in Coraline. There were two implementations of it, so the depth of field actually changed depending on whether she was in the real world or the other world. It was really cool because it made the other world almost seem like a set, like the moon rising in the background was maybe a few feet behind the treeline.
    Coraline definitely did 3D verrrrry well.

Tron Legacy 3D had amazing credits.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    I have to say that Speed Racer was a terrible movie, from any kind of perspective. I think it was so bad, that it is actually harmfull to the whole world of cinema, I have the same opinion on transformers movies, all of them. The "depth" of the image, or the FPS used, I think are lost in the public toilet that that movie was... and yes, I saw it.. at least a part of it. *puts on helmet and ducks for cover*

I loved Speed Racer.

It is effectively a longer, 'live action' version of a saturday morning cartoon.

John Goodman, and really everyone else on the cast, looked like they were having a blast making it also.

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    The only time I ever remember being impressed by 3D was when I was 11 years old at Disney World where they had a 3D Muppets movie. However, it was not adapted for 3D, it was made for 3D.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    I didn't even know 48fps was a thing until a few minutes ago.

Maybe it wont be too bad once you've adjusted to it. I remember the first time I saw a blueray movie on a hd tv. (first experience with both) It looked so real that it made me uncomfortable and I didn't like it. But then I adjusted to it, and now it doesn't bother me one bit.

No dude, it looks completely horrible, makes everything look extremely cheesy, and completely annihilates the movie going experience.

Keep that shit far away from my movies.

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    @fug, speaking of "fucking hilariously long shifts" and whatnot, I was just called not 30 minutes ago telling me that my "scheduled" show-time was moved up to 1700 (5pm) and I was not scheduled to work til Saturday. 5Pm... til noon tomorrow............. I was like fuck that, and thank the living GOD it worked out, or I might have killed myself by drinking a few too many monsters and coffee...

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    The only time I ever remember being impressed by 3D was when I was 11 years old at Disney World where they had a 3D Muppets movie. However, it was not adapted for 3D, it was made for 3D.

I liked Mickey Mouse Rizzo

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I thought from a technical standpoint Avatar was pretty amazing visually in 3D.
    The movie itself was like the cast of Fast and Furious doing other stuff on an Alien planet.

Though I haven't seen a 3D movie since, so I don't really know how poorly or well people who aren't James Cameron are doing it.

Mustang on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Yeah, James Cameron is a crazy enough guy to make sure that he has the best tech possible, and if it isn't possible he'll have it invented.

Shame about the script, though.

• Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    James Cameron movies aren't really about interesting plot, though. Aliens, Terminators 1 and 2, The Abyss, Titanic and Avatar succeed as interesting movies because of their well-defined and varied characters. They might be well-defined boring cliché archetype characters, but they're executed with expert precision. The movies are good in the same way that Hitchcock films are good despite generally having subpar acting.

Avaraham, have you used the Mango Studio programs? Are they most excellent? I am a digital drawing/inking curmudgeon, but the other features look kind of interesting.

AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    I did not like Aliens.

I spent most of Aliens rooting for the Aliens because I hated all of the characters except Ripley.

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    you are a bad person
    edit: this was directed at kochi

Tam on
    I loved Alien! The art direction was so beautiful. Then I watched Aliens and was like .....

but not really you know
    like whatever man

edited April 2012
    No love for Bishop, 'stang?

As far as liking Alien goes, it gets credit for being a textbook example of how to do a sequel. It expands the original work (what Weyland-Yutani is and does, for instance, and how Earth had changed while Ripley was asleep), while still being totally reverent of it.

It's also excellent because it shows how prejudice can naturally develop, and uses that as a plot point in how Ripley treats Bishop after her encounter with Ash. When do we get to see a protagonist have legitimate prejudice that we picked up with them?

Compare that to the status quo that Alien3 sets up (everyone dead for some reason and the end of the last movie was meaningless now because we said so~!).

I can see how it wouldn't be liked, though, since it's so different than Alien.

(Prometheus do not fail us.)

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    Oh I forgot about Bishop. Yeah, I liked Bishop.

Aliens was an action movie, Alien was a thriller sci fi kinda horror. Aliens threw so many god damned Aliens at me I just didn't give a shit anymore and wasn't scared at all. And I am a very easily scared big baby pants. And the art direction wasn't nearly as cool, I mean, some of the shots in Alien legit took my breath away.

Sooo excited for Prometheus!!

• .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    For me Aliens was great fun because I love old school action films but it doesn't hold a candle to Alien, which completely nailed its great atmosphere. I was saying in SE recently that I prefer sci fi about isolation and claustrophobia and Alien did it wonderfully. It's always how I want an Aliens or Dead Space game to go, but they naturally opt for throwing tons of enemies at you for the action of it.

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
    You couldn't really do a second horror movie and still use Ripley if a well-funded group is going back to the planet to catch some. The genre-shift was informed by the plot, which is way better than trying to shoehorn it back into the original genre. There were bits that were way too toyetic, though--like the power loader exosuit.

I remember the models used for ships and vehicles being more impressive in Aliens, but I haven't seen them in a while. Time for a rewatch of both.

AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Any time I feel like being scared during a game, I play Amnesia.

steam_sig.png
    I don't imagine a game where you walk around for ten hours and then shoot one thing at the end would be very exciting.

Any time I feel like being scared during a game, I play Amnesia.

Whoa
    Why is your icon a CRS

Because I'm considering turning my 150g into a shrimp tank. So I have shrimp on the brain.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Because I'm considering turning my 150g into a shrimp tank. So I have shrimp on the brain.

Yes!! Do it!! I've been breeding CRS in a lil fluval Ebi, it is the best thing, because I'm also doing planted. 150g is fucking massive though. What's in the tank now?? How many tanks you got? Would you be transferring whatevers in the 150g out to somewhere else? I tried having some other fish with my CRS but that shit just does not work, them lil babies are delicate flowers.

omg shrimpchat

I also got some black bees in there too, it's so awesome watching the racism between the black bees and the crystal reds

tumblr_lzm16jF3q41ro0nnoo1_250.giftumblr_lzm16jF3q41ro0nnoo2_250.gif
    tumblr_lzm16jF3q41ro0nnoo3_250.giftumblr_lzm16jF3q41ro0nnoo4_250.gif

Kochikens on
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Mustang wrote: »
    I don't imagine a game where you walk around for ten hours and then shoot one thing at the end would be very exciting.

Well, ten hours per enemy is a bit of an exaggeration, but playing the last AvP I remember trying to cross a bridge and like five xenos charged across it, from an alien infested tunnel I had to enter. I'm not hating on the experience, but it just feels like more of the same I guess. In Dead Space I was loving the atmosphere but eventually stopped feeling the tension because of how often I realized I would run into enemies.

I think I liked the Thing game but forget how it played - I should revisit it. Cryostasis and Cold Fear should be up my alley too.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I saw the trailer for Prometheus at the cinema when I was watching the Avengers (which was a good movie btw) anyway, i said to my friend which is more of a movie buff than I
    that as it is a Prequel to the rest of the Alien movies I find it weird that it seems the technological aspect of the movie looks to advanced looking than what it did previously and
    makes it awkward. I will probably watch it and love it though as i kinda did with the rest.

edited April 2012
    Kochikens wrote: »

Yes!! Do it!! I've been breeding CRS in a lil fluval Ebi, it is the best thing, because I'm also doing planted. 150g is fucking massive though. What's in the tank now?? How many tanks you got? Would you be transferring whatevers in the 150g out to somewhere else? I tried having some other fish with my CRS but that shit just does not work, them lil babies are delicate flowers.

omg shrimpchat

I also got some black bees in there too, it's so awesome watching the racism between the black bees and the crystal reds

tumblr_lzm16jF3q41ro0nnoo1_250.giftumblr_lzm16jF3q41ro0nnoo2_250.gif
    tumblr_lzm16jF3q41ro0nnoo3_250.giftumblr_lzm16jF3q41ro0nnoo4_250.gif

Currently I don't have anything in the tank, I haven't had it setup since my last move. I used to keep african cichlids. I have 40g as well, and used to have a 30 cube but gave that away.

Yeah it's huge, which means SO MANY SHRIMP. I was gonna go with an ADA style aquascape, and if I kept fish with them they'd probably just otto's and possibly guppies.

However, I haven't decided if I want to go that route or SW and farm corals for monies.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Oh shit, ADA, omg.

A guy who was trained by Amano recently came to Vancouver and set up a business doing rich peoples tank and selling a bunch of ADA stuff. Fucking 100$ for a pair of scissors. But those tanks are so fucking pretty I'd love to try it. But, well, CO2 and that crap is expensive!! What sort of filtration you got on the 150g? It would be so expensive to set up a 150g pretty ass ADA style thing. But soo worth it. Remember though, with a tank that massive I bet you got a bigass bitchin filtration system, but when you got shrimpies you gotta put pantyhose over the intake to stop the babies from gettin sucked up.

SW is awesome, always wanted to do it. Never had the time or cash. My Ebi setup was for my birthday though. So fucking hard to get shit crawl along the ground like in the ADA tanks without CO2. A great thing about shrimp though, is that with CRS you can sell them back to the pet store once you've got a wicked breeding colony going. Also it's really cute watchin em eat spinach or grabbin shrimp food and HAULING ASS with it

Edit: All these videos are so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v3EIVnhpCs&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/user/aquadesignamano/videos

also I am rambly as fuck due to being nervous about an interview in a few hours

Kochikens on
    edited April 2012
    holy shit that is an amazing fish tank

also good luck kochi
    don't
    choki

Tam on
    Go to the youtube video channel, be amazed at how every single fucking fishtank is absolutely stunning. I mean, compositionally, it is just. Fucking brilliant. And if you watch a video where they're setting up the tank, how much purpose is there in rock placement. How they'll put something down and I'm all like shit that looks great then Amano walks over and is like NOPE, THIS ROCKS GOES HERE. YEAH. And it just looks 100x better and it's like how the shit did you even do that

edited April 2012
    wait wait
    we talkin about my boy Yoshitaka here
    edit: nope I guess not

Tam on
    I wish I knew where Amano gets such sweet lookin rocks.

steam_sig.png
    I never considered fish tank as artwork before.......now I want one.

edited April 2012
    I think he sells the smaller ones?? And i know ive seen him say what type of rock the big ones are before

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=76_7_14

Kochikens on
    I really like a lot of the designs in this video. Some of the waterfalls are really neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsa8VhLGh2s&list=FLp2i3SiShMQSpQUJQOwxiSQ&index=1&feature=plpp_video

steam_sig.png
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I want your opinions, is there anything wrong with being hard on yourself?

I spent most of my night being preached at how I'm too hard on myself. I view it as having a high standard, but apparently it pisses people off :( even though I am making concerted efforts not to. ...

ninjai on
    I maintain I have 0 talent. Others get mad because they believe I have more than 0 talent.

So basically I can't help you because I do the same thing.

steam_sig.png
    Hm. There is a tiny little mouse in my house.

Get him a lil motorcycle.

This discussion has been closed.