As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tim Schafer's [DÜDLE] Legend

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    EDIT: I just realized that these silhouettes only work when interpreted as a front view. Look at them like back views and they fall apart, specifically in the legs. They're supposed to work either way, right? Or am I wrong and these are fine?

... I have no idea what you are talking about here, dude. Like, I don't even know how you would draw a three-quarter front view that also worked from the back. The knees would be on backwards for a start.

Or perhaps I've misunderstood what you're saying.

• TamTam Registered User regular
    @ChicoBlue

I'm finding this hella frustrating
    am I not supposed to use the opacity slider either?

14uchlw.jpg

• NicNic Registered User regular
    comradesuperman.png

Rough sketch that I gave basic colours.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Tam wrote: »
    @ChicoBlue

I'm finding this hella frustrating
    am I not supposed to use the opacity slider either?

14uchlw.jpg

Definitely use the opacity slider. You can just hit the numbers on your keyboard to quickly switch the opacity %.

Try just laying down your initial sketches and tones in the way that you normally do and are comfortable with, and then switch to the default brushes to tidy up edges and tighten up forms.

I was more suggesting that you might try adding that sort of thing to your current workflow, rather than altering your way of doing things completely.

Also, I mucked around with your face again to make some suggestions.

Establish your light sources firmly.

Try chiseling out some planes on your faces and make sure that the values follow them accordingly.

Try varying up the value of your shadows. Shadows would only be that dark if the guy is standing in a black room with a strong light source shining on him.

tamb.jpg

oooooh ok
    whoops
    that makes a hell of a lot more sense

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Guys I am so tired of this thread

can we get a new one by like ... cinco de mayo? That'd be awesome. I promise to do my part.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ...how can you possibly get tired of le dudle thread? And chico, that is actually not only helpful for tam, but that helps me a bit as well. So thank you.

Prospicience on
  • Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    EDIT: I just realized that these silhouettes only work when interpreted as a front view. Look at them like back views and they fall apart, specifically in the legs. They're supposed to work either way, right? Or am I wrong and these are fine?

... I have no idea what you are talking about here, dude. Like, I don't even know how you would draw a three-quarter front view that also worked from the back. The knees would be on backwards for a start.

Or perhaps I've misunderstood what you're saying.

Uhhh... yeah, I'm being dumb. I'm blaming it on being really tired when I did those silhouettes.

There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Chico I am not sure if that light source you're sighting in the example is accurate enough.

How far is the light source from the face? Is he in a room or outside? I ask because you've got his face lit up in this bizarre tween grey area that's part sunlight and part nearby, but your bounce light suggest that he's under an oversized/diffused light source! Those bounce shadows are confusing to read ahahahaha

EDIT: I realize that this might be nitpicking haha

Godfather on
    Godfather wrote: »

Honestly some of the stuff people point out here - myself included in hindshight- makes me smile for exactly this reason. It's just as much for us as it is for the person we're giving the advice to.

Chico I am not sure if that light source you're sighting in the example is accurate enough.

How far is the light source from the face? Is he in a room or outside? I ask because you've got his face lit up in this bizarre tween grey area that's part sunlight and part nearby, but your bounce light suggest that he's under an oversized/diffused light source! Those bounce shadows are confusing to read ahahahaha

He's clearly a man standing in a diffusely lit grey room with a weak light source very near and a reflector above him pointing at his forehead.

You're right, though. It's far from perfect.

Picking nits is integral to improvement.

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Dudes, do any of these colours work? It's for a beauty salon or something:
    finessecol.jpg

I'm pretty sure that first combo is owned by Kotaku.

edited April 2012
    I'm pretty sure every possible combo is already being used by someone :/

Mayday on
    edited April 2012
    I used a similar combo in a design class and everyone said it was the Crown Royal colours.

But they were all college students.

Picking out just two colours to work with can be the most maddening thing.

That said, I vote you remove the Orange glaring one on the bottom left from the running.

ChicoBlue on
    edited April 2012
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Picking out just two colours to work with can be the most maddening thing.

That said, I vote you remove the Orange glaring one on the bottom left from the running.

Client's wishes, what can you do.
    And you're right with the orange of course. EXTERMINATED!

BTW. Did you guys know that if there's a paid commercial font made from a non-digital original, there's a good chance someone created a copy of it (from the same source), released it for free and it's completely legal?

Mayday on
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

He's clearly a man standing in a diffusely lit grey room with a weak light source very near and a reflector above him pointing at his forehead.

You're right, though. It's far from perfect.

Picking nits is integral to improvement.

Stop using big words! It hurts my thinking box ahahaha

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    The pink and the red one on the left column, or the purple one in the right column as a distant third.

If this is for marketing you want something easy to parse while driving at 20 miles an hour past a store sign. The bright colors may catch the clients eye, but they wont be readable. The Pink and the red ones convey a mild classiness (muted reds always seem elegant with that style of font) while the neutral background makes for easy reading.

But thats, like, just my opinion man.

• ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    couple of mes
    iIDd8.jpg
    sBevA.jpg

second one isn't quite done

I think you are lost sir, the Yellow Submarine is that way!

Those are sick projeck, the colors/shapes are incredibly well put together. I really like this new thing you've got goin' on.

Haaands!

hands_1.jpg

hands_2.jpg

edited April 2012
    Nineteen, those are sick.

Another thing I'm working on.
    buffaloPrelimSML.jpg
    Desperately need a scanner.

Prospicience on
  • ShankboneShankbone Registered User regular
    I think we all miss Stephen Gammell's works
    5 minute nostalgia sketch
    SpkAH.jpg?3

We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight.
    Sign language.

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    1900, those hands are awesome. What do the little letters mean?

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Nineteen...those are great!

edited April 2012
    Thanks, guys!
    lyrium wrote: »

Male and female. Had to do ten of each (there's a page missing because it was crap).

EDIT: Also, ball point pen. Really easy to draw with. Who knew?

Nineteen Hundred on
    projeck step away from the prog rock and put your hands behind your head

• SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Very nice batch of hands there Nineteen. I'm also really enjoying the art lessons with Tam and Chico.

My latest scribble (one layer, no ref, messing around with the soft round brush in PS):
    sk0006.jpg

I really need to start putting some more work in on these. I just get so sleepy after working all day. Bleh.

Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Thanks, guys!
    lyrium wrote: »

Male and female. Had to do ten of each (there's a page missing because it was crap).

EDIT: Also, ball point pen. Really easy to draw with. Who knew?

Ahh that explains it. A lot of the Ms look like Hs and I was like hmmm

• hamshams Registered User regular
    emilyzombie.png

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    That's a pretty nice zombie there, hams.

Lots of zombies lately. Is there a new zombie movie out?

L4D just came out with a new Big patch and new walking dead ePisodic game... But zombies are always in I think.

What lovely hands!

• Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    I got a zombie ...

in my pants. :shock:

Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    That's the worst place for a zombie.

steam_sig.png
    PierceNeck wrote: »

Well that depends! Are the teeth still intact?

• sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    @mayday I like the pink on cream, blue on blue and orange on yellow ones.
    @hams loving that zombie!

edited April 2012
    PierceNeck wrote: »

Well that depends! Are the teeth still intact?

hahaha /highfive

E: since I was the last one to post.
    Buffalo Soldier
    Buffsoldier.jpg
    Still a WIP. Not sure if I should just keep it "kill", I think the buffalo bill reference might be a bit too underhanded.

Prospicience on
This discussion has been closed.