As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

InFlux is all up on this PAX Australian Indie Showcase

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Yeah I totally don't remember either, the start of the mod was so long ago. I remember some amazing mspaint concept art though. I think I still have most of it somewhere.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Remington wrote:
    Not that I remember, but it's been a long time.

Hey, who was the guy that was all mad about my double barrel shotgun having two sight rails?

Quite a few people pointed out that it made no sense, not that it matters or anything.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    If somebody remembers this remind me, cause I only have a vague memory and I might be completely mistaken. When SS started didn't I shit out a quick logo for it that was used for a short time, before somebody else made an amazing one that shamed me, and then that one became the official logo?

I searched for the ones I did on my hard drive but all I have are these thumbnails! I had fun doing these.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/9343612#Comment_9343612
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/9340930#Comment_9340930

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1266/3353296176_45149b4957_b.jpg
    Got that now!

donhonk on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Remington wrote:
    Not that I remember, but it's been a long time.

Hey, who was the guy that was all mad about my double barrel shotgun having two sight rails?

Quite a few people pointed out that it made no sense, not that it matters or anything.

So wait, it was you?

*EDIT*
    And Don, while I think both your logo and the one we ended up using (who made that one, anyway? I don't even remember), in retrospect I think yours totally fits the SS "mood" more.

Remington on
  • Options
    Well thank you very much! It's sad that I haven't done more in the past 3 years in regard to design. Such a lazy soul I am. Once I find them in full res on my hard drive Ill upload them.

• Options
    Yeah, that is a bitchin' logo. I mail'd @Mustachio Jones a while ago trying to find out who made it, since it's the SSZSF logo, but he didn't know! GG.

It did also get used for the mod's steam list icon though.

• Options
    Also this mustn't be bottompaged.
    LaCabra wrote:

• Options
    So, how many of you guys would play a prototype version of the ball game for iPhone/iPad, which would be largely the glasshouse puzzle levels? Gameplay would be largely as it was in this old video, but with less clumsy control:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MPZP97oV4I

I've been looking into the viability of it lately while working on a patch for Vroom and I reckon we could bust out a collection of some of the puzzles we've already made for the full game, on iOS, pretty quickly. What do you guys think?

Graphics on iPad 2 look like this at the moment:

6352243292_eec10d9e3d_b.jpg

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    controlled by the tilt sensor on the ipad?

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Proooooobably not, that's everyone's first suggestion but it doesn't really work too well with a third person view like that. I'm thinking more like you can swipe the balls to roll them around.

• Options
    Another thing we have been doing is checking out DX11 tesselation. It is awesome. Notice the smooth edges of the large rocks in this screenshot:
    6368618819_9be258b17e_b.jpg

And here is a video I made today of the sun rising. And then going down again. And coming up again. Yeaaaaaaah.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGw-wHmWbYc

• Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    Stunning, beautiful, etcetera.

Them rocks' edges be smooooth, man. I wanna touch them. With a ball.

• Options
    Thanks bro.
    Here is some water and more tesselated rocks.
    6397740881_ba2ece51ac_b.jpg

It is completely unsurprising to me that Arkham City apparently runs terribly with DX11 on

• Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    I really will never not demand that the ball have a moustache, so I feel compelled to offer more feedback. I demand that each rock have a moustache.

• Options
    Does every moustache have to be unique?

• Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    And in character. But also make the game released, damn you. Do it in episodes and call it A Series Of Cubes.

• Options
    Hey dudes, this game is still being made. Here is a video of how some of these environments are turning out. I know the river looks like shit, eventually it will look awesome though so it's all good in the hood. Also various screenshots.

6873708797_8862168598_b.jpg
    6790155860_2f72788f7c_b.jpg
    6684324081_a0b0fb9b97_b.jpg
    6945745003_d4323756fa_b.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODwW1n8pj80

• Options
    Looks wonderful. I'm a big fan of balls. But in all seriousness, the merging of natural environments and these crazy scifi super structures could be neat.

• Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    The actual ball will be day 1 DLC but will be included with the deluxe collectors edition preorder.

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    So folks, there's good news on the internets! Especially for anyone who is interested in this ball-rolling puzzle videogame, or just guys from this forum making games.

A while ago I applied for funding from Film Victoria, to make this game, and we totally got it! So now I have some money to pay people (from Victoria, the state of Australia in which I live) to develop this game with me. Long shot, but is anyone a 3D modeller living in said state?

Anyhow, check it out, a piece of concept art.

6955725126_83a55a7522_b.jpg

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    LaCabra wrote: »
    So folks, there's good news on the internets! Especially for anyone who is interested in this ball-rolling puzzle videogame, or just guys from this forum making games.

A while ago I applied for funding from Film Victoria, to make this game, and we totally got it! So now I have some money to pay people (from Victoria, the state of Australia in which I live) to develop this game with me. Long shot, but is anyone a 3D modeller living in said state?

Anyhow, check it out, a piece of concept art.

6955725126_83a55a7522_b.jpg

Joe I can maybe get you someone. I'll have to get onto them though. They are a perfectionist.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    Sweet, have 'em resume/portfolio me. Mostly portfolio.

joewa@impromptugames.com

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Shame I live on the other side of the country.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    That's awesome to hear! Congrats, Impromptu Team!

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, congrats! I was worried you guys had split up or something.

• Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    Nah, no splitting up. Everyone at Impromptu are best friends forever. I, regretfully (so regretfully), am not contributing much as of late since I got a job in the industry and am being sapped for time in exchange for professional experience and a wonderful work environment (compared to my last job in retail). It's important to remember that Impromptu, up until now, has really only been 3 or 4 guys (one designer, one modeler, one programmer and one sound engineer... and he's a recent addition). So the work loads on the projects we've done are generally enormous. We wouldn't have come this far if we were merely team members. I think the relationship needs to be stronger than that. If it weren't, Joe (LaCabra) and I would have murdered each other over conflicting design decisions years ago.

The agreement Joe made with Film Victoria, as he mentioned, only allows him to pay money to people residing in Victoria. The upside is that the funding allows me to step back and focus on my career for a bit as Joe can now afford to pay another modeler for their time. I think it works out for the best for everyone.

If I'm coming off mildly defensive of my decision to step back from Impromptu it's probably because I am. I love Joe and I love Impromptu (Jorn is cool too, but he's a programmer and I never have a clue what the fuck he's talking about*) and no one has shown me anything but support in my decision to move on to professional environment art. However, there's a large part of me that would kill to be on the Impromptu payroll, working full time from my house and basically modelling whatever the hell I felt like. But, financially that's not possible. I do intend on sending models Joe's way occasionally, but so far intentions and reality have had a hard time seeing eye to eye.

All that being said, if there are any modelers out there in Joe's area, even if you're not sure of your work, there's no harm in sending a portfolio his way. Three or four people that have started with Impromptu have ended up with professional jobs in the game industry, so clearly Joe knows how to eat amateurs and shit out professionals. Really, you owe it to yourself.

*Just kidding, Jorn. I love you forever.

• Options
    Aww c'mere you. <3

• Options
    edited April 2012
    6962946546_c239e1283d_b.jpg

Volcanoooo.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    That looks pretty cool. Also, glad to see you guys are still going, as much as I understand that people making games go for long periods when, even if they are making a lot of progress, there isn't really much to say or show to people, but it's always nice to see them pop up again.

• Options
    Thanks dude, good to know people are still reading the thread. :P

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    So is the overworld purely for travel, or is there going to be gameplay there too? It looks incredibly pretty, which I guess means you've spent a lot of time on it.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    You spend a lot of time there exploring and collecting the resource you need to unlock the next glasshouse, ultimately working your way toward this increasingly active volcano (image posted again because it's changed a bit). Something is going on with the elusive natives, and there is a certain amount of whale.
    7112419073_37dffbc9a6_b.jpg

• Options
    Here's another new art. This should be a fun area to make.
    7123031531_dfd2bac5f7_b.jpg

• Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    Saw Shotgun Sunrise on Desura so I decided to see how you guys are doing. Turns out, fantastic! The concept art here is absolutely amazing. Still cannot wait to play this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Thanks Yodbro. :)

Random screenshot goooo
    6959866484_e99f17718d_b.jpg

• Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    I agree...it's good to see that this project is still alive. I eagerly anticipate the opportunity to throw money at you.

• Options
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Wow, that is bullshit. Hope you don't mind me quoting that on the Game Industry thread.

• Options
    Nah go for it.