As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    Thanks!

Guess that'll have to do. Maybe the necro will make a return in an expansion.

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Streltsy wrote: »
    No hordes. But witch doctor class can summon 3 zombie dogs permanently.
    He can also summon fetishes (little guys from act 3 in D2), but they only last for 20 seconds and the spell has a long cool down.
    And he can summon a gargantuan zombie which is similar to a golem.

And has a passive that ups his zombie dog count to 4.

Which I wonder about. The number there is always highlighted, which makes me ask if that number can be increased beyond 4 with whatever the affix for that skill is on gear. If that is, in fact, how that sort of thing is going to work.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    After playing the open beta this weekend, I am even more unsure which class I want to roll first. I really like the witch doctor but it doesn't seem like he does any damage. The spiders are neat but you have to spam jars all day to do any serious deeps. The zombie dogs were pretty beast, but the poison dart didn't seem to do much damage either. It definitely seems like a class that won't "come into its own" until you are a few levels in with some decent gear, which is fine, but very different from how the monk/barb/wizard can just start nuking stuff right away. I haven't tried the Demon Hunter but I heard it is even more OP.

Agree with you and suckafish in that I also don't like spiders. Darts are far superior IMO.

Disagree that the WD has low power early on. Once I got firebats it was off to the fuckin races. Then Soul Harvest turns you into a monster. Its basically double damage all the time. I roll with: dogs, triple dart, soul harvest and firebats. Dogs tank, run in and cast soul harvest to get (nearly) double damage, firebat everything close to you until out of mana, triple dart far away targets, rinse and repeat.

valiance on
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I think if I were to pick "most ridiculous skill in beta" it would be Soul Harvest.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Walt wrote: »
    I think if I were to pick "most ridiculous skill in beta" it would be Soul Harvest.

Only gets better too. 650 Int at level 60 for a full 5 stacks.

Makes me wonder about what stats will be like on high end gear though. Maybe that wont actually be that much by the time we're dying in Inferno.

Edit: Also, on the subject of WD skills, I still want to know how this rune for Hex actually works in game.
    Angry Chicken
    Transform into an angry chicken for up to 5 seconds that can explode for 215% weapon damage as Physical to all enemies within 12 yards.

What happens to me when I explode my chicken self?

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    Angry Chicken
    Transform into an angry chicken for up to 5 seconds that can explode for 215% weapon damage as Physical to all enemies within 12 yards.

What happens to me when I explode my chicken self?

Finger-licking.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    As promised (although I got delayed in doing this) Here are the pics of the awesome mouse that was sent to me!

http://imgur.com/a/0GJCM

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    Shhh!

World's best janitor
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    lu tze wrote: »
    Shhh!

They know..

I think it was one of those skills mentioned in one of the interviews... wherein a tester approached them and said "You cannot play X class without X ability!" and they laughed at him or her.

I can see it getting a nerf cannon, or at least a nerf dart in the retail game, but it will still be a good utility skill regardless.

In the meantime, in my Witch Doctor playthrough it essentially functioned as a "win button", and it should allow characters with less-than-ideal investments in intelligence compete, damage-wise.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    As promised (although I got delayed in doing this) Here are the pics of the awesome mouse that was sent to me!

Looks nice! Any side buttons, or just nice shiney mouse with braided cord?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    Does cold damage slow enemies? Some of the wizard skills specifically say they slow enemies (Ray of Frost) but some say they deal cold damage, but don't specifically mention slowing (Blizzard, Hydra with Frost rune). Would a skill that applies weapon elemental damage slow enemies if the weapon deals cold damage?

Also, is being slowed the same as being "chilled"?

Like, if I attack an enemy with Ray of Frost, the skill description says it slows enemies, but would the passive "Cold Blooded" kick in for an extra 20% damage against chilled targets at that point?

Does the official site have information on these game mechanics? I couldn't find much info on the magic properties on the game guide site.

• Options
    edited April 2012

Two button on each side! The buttons feel a bit light, but the mouse is comfortable. It also pulses red on the D3 symbol and around the scroll wheel.

I was really happy about the side buttons because I use them for Vent.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    that's a nice mouse, congrats.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Shurakai wrote: »
    Shhh!

They know..

I think it was one of those skills mentioned in one of the interviews... wherein a tester approached them and said "You cannot play X class without X ability!" and they laughed at him or her.

I can see it getting a nerf cannon, or at least a nerf dart in the retail game, but it will still be a good utility skill regardless.

In the meantime, in my Witch Doctor playthrough it essentially functioned as a "win button", and it should allow characters with less-than-ideal investments in intelligence compete, damage-wise.

Yeah, soul harvest with 5 full bars turned my spells into death rays.

However, it does have a short range and mobs will be way more dangerous later. It might be the case that closing to use it is pretty risky.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    So followers. I never got to use the templar in the beta.

Do we have to activate their skills ourselves, or are some/all of them autocast?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Streltsy wrote: »
    No hordes. But witch doctor class can summon 3 zombie dogs permanently.
    He can also summon fetishes (little guys from act 3 in D2), but they only last for 20 seconds and the spell has a long cool down.
    And he can summon a gargantuan zombie which is similar to a golem.

And has a passive that ups his zombie dog count to 4.

Which I wonder about. The number there is always highlighted, which makes me ask if that number can be increased beyond 4 with whatever the affix for that skill is on gear. If that is, in fact, how that sort of thing is going to work.

I'm sure there will be some uniques to buff that number up a point or two. It's just too easy an idea not to take. Hell, I wouldn't put it past them to have objects that turn your zombie dogs into skeletons.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Was this mentioned here yet?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4662357867?page=1#8
    In my actual experience (admittedly, with a full build that reflects where the game was in difficulty a month ago), I had to push my demon hunter up to level 32 to get out of Normal, and up to 55 to get out of Nightmare.

So we might actually be maxed a for a chunk of Hell instead of reaching it towards the end.
    I wonder how Bashiok's grandmother is doing with the current build.

That wasn't Bash
    Not sure what that has to do with anything. I still wonder how Bashiok's grandmother is doing with the current build.

Then why even quote me!

I bet she's doing just fine though.
    Well, your post just reminded me that the blues keep making posts saying that the challenge seems to pick up a lot more than people are expecting. Now I'm imagining Bashiok's grandma chain-dying in Act 4 Normal. :D

• Options

Do we have to activate their skills ourselves, or are some/all of them autocast?

They are conditional autocasts. A couple of the early ones are "Cast heal when you are low" or "Taunt enemy when you are low"

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

Two button on each side! The buttons feel a bit light, but the mouse is comfortable. It also pulses red on the D3 symbol and around the scroll wheel.

I was really happy about the side buttons because I use them for Vent.

I'm the same, very cool that it has those.
    It's always lame when I play League on my laptop and have to use alt for voice (which invariably means I accidentally click while talking and start pinging a bunch).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    edited April 2012

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/follower/

Has all their skills and stuff.

Didnt miss out on much with the Templar in beta, he does next to no damage at such a low level and never really needs to tank anything since nothing is to much of a threat that early.

Scoundrel still has a sweet mustache though.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The thing with Soul Harvest is that it doesn't scale as well since it gives a static Int bonus per level. That Barbarian shout that increases damage by 30% or whatever is like making every point of Strength gained on new gear 30% better. Soul Harvest just stacks Int on top of however much you have from gear. Basically the worse your gear is, the better Soul Harvest is. I'm sure when people are working through Inferno it won't be such a powerhouse.

It's actually rather odd that it just straight up increases Int by a level-based amount. Pretty much everything else in the game has some sort of percentage scaling.

There was also a discussion a couple days ago about if the game had a Corpse Explosion equivalent. I don't recall anyone mentioning it, but I was looking at WD skills last night and there is a rune for the WD's acid rain spell (I believe) that basically turns it into corpse explosion.

forty on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular

From what I saw, their skills are either passive or autocast. The templar you get in the cathedral before the Skeleton King has a choice of these two abilities at level 5.

A) Heal myself or an ally for about 100 hit points, on a 15 second or so cooldown
    B) Taunt an enemy when the player is below 50% health.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    TophuTophu Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

My friends and I did a 4 witchdoctor run during the beta weekend. It was fucking ludicrous.

Ever wonder what 64~ spider pets and 12 zombie dogs looked like? Well here ya' go.
    http://imgur.com/a/BOjay#0

On some fights I got down to about 5-10 fps. It was pretty gnarly to say the least.

Tophu on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/follower/templar/skill/

Worth a look if you haven't yet.

• Options
    Basically the worse your gear is, the better Soul Harvest is.

Wouldn't it be the other way around? Since 1 int = 1% more damage, wouldn't the higher your base DPS, the bigger the gain off the added int?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

From what I saw, their skills are either passive or autocast. The templar you get in the cathedral before the Skeleton King has a choice of these two abilities at level 5.

A) Heal myself or an ally for about 100 hit points, on a 15 second or so cooldown
    B) Taunt an enemy when the player is below 50% health.
    He actually uses heal pretty intelligently, did a decent job of tanking the Skeleton King for my Witch Doctor.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Wouldn't it be the other way around? Since 1 int = 1% more damage, wouldn't the higher your base DPS, the bigger the gain off the added int?
    Well, Int is additive. Although I guess upgrading a weapon would make Soul Harvest better. So really it's: the lower your Int is (generally I think that will mean the worse your non-weapon gear is), the better Soul Harvest is.

Simplified example (ignoring crit, etc.):

Spoilered for vertical length:
    Let's say you're at a level where Soul Harvest gives you +200 Int.

Scenario 1:

w/o Soul Harvest:

100 DPS weapon
    100 Int from gear

DPS: 200

w/ Soul Harvest:

100 DPS weapon
    300 Int from Gear and Soul Harvest

DPS: 400 (Soul Harvest effectively doubled your damage)

Scenario 2:

w/o Soul Harvest:

100 DPS weapon
    300 Int from gear

DPS: 400

w/ Soul Harvest:

100 DPS weapon
    500 Int from Gear and Soul Harvest

DPS: 600 (Soul Harvest effectively increased your damage by 50%)

Soul Harvest is increasing your DPS by the same amount (200) in both scenarios, but as a % damage increase, it becomes less powerful the more Int you have.

forty on
  • Options

Well, Int is additive. Although I guess upgrading a weapon would make Soul Harvest better. So really it's: the lower your Int is (generally I think that will mean the worse your non-weapon gear is), the better Soul Harvest is.

Scenario 1:

w/o Soul Harvest:

100 DPS weapon
    100 Int from gear

w/ Soul Harvest:

100 DPS weapon

Scenario 2:

w/o Soul Harvest:

100 DPS weapon
    300 Int from gear

w/ Soul Harvest:

100 DPS weapon

Soul Harvest is increasing your DPS by the same amount (200) in both scenarios, but as a % damage increase, it becomes less powerful the more Int you have.

So it's like a diminishing return?

Could be in place to keep it from getting out of control I guess.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular

Scenario 1:

w/o Soul Harvest:

100 DPS weapon
    100 Int from gear

w/ Soul Harvest:

100 DPS weapon

Scenario 2:

w/o Soul Harvest:

100 DPS weapon
    300 Int from gear

w/ Soul Harvest:

100 DPS weapon

So it's like a diminishing return?

Could be in place to keep it from getting out of control I guess.

it's not really a feature that's in place, it's basic division

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, that's just how numbers maths* works.

*before you even start.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's just how numbers maths* works.

*before you even start.

Maths, you say?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Serifinow... serif... serip.. that guy is a fucking genius and isn't on television enough.

Fake but real edit: Serafinowicz!

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    MatzMatz Bronze Grandmaster FurieRegistered User regular
    ultimakay wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »
    Come May 15, will the servers be up midnight or some time later in the day?
    For the Americas region, comprising the U.S., Canada, Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, and South East Asia, the game servers will go live at 12:01 a.m. PDT on May 15.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/5203659/Diablo_III_Midnight_Launch_Events-4_25_2012#blog

edit: For Europe
    For the European region, the game servers will go live at 00:01 CEST on May 15
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4278737/Diablo_III_Launch_Events_Across_Europe-25_04_2012#blog

Interesting. 12.01am PDT on May 15 is actually 7.01pm on May 15 in NZ. That will fit quite well for me picking up the game during the day and then finishing work (provided the servers don't collapse).

2uenpg3.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    _J_ wrote: »
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • Options
    NamonNamon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I wish they had an option that showed your numerical hps over you health globe or something. Call me silly or goose or both, but ever since my FF days I love to see my hps staring back at me as my real indication of power gain. Otherwise this game is total tits and I am having a hard time deciding between Wizard, Monk, or Barb.

Namon on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Well you can just mouse over the globe and it will tell you your numbers.

• Options
    Namon wrote: »
    I wish they had an option that showed your numerical hps over you health globe or something. Call me silly or goose or both, but ever since my FF days I love to see my hps staring back at me as my real indication of power gain. Otherwise this game is total tits and I am having a hard time deciding between Wizard, Monk, or Barb.
    I'm pretty sure they do. Check the settings, they've hidden all sorts of quality of life bollocks in there.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I finally wandered across some Hell footage and was amused by how fast the critters move.

Those goats can haul ass.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    MatzMatz Bronze Grandmaster FurieRegistered User regular
    I don't normally play melee chars in these types of games (sorc and zon I did to death in D2) but have to say that after playing the beta, I really, really enjoyed the barb (only got the monk to level 3 -only had time for about 20 mins- but liked that too). Leaping into groups and smashing them across the room really appealed to me. Played with a few DH's as well and the "machine guns" they were unloading at times looked good to. Lots to like in this game and will be difficult to choose who to go with first.

2uenpg3.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    _J_ wrote: »
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    Waaaaay to much D3 beta and I still have to beat with the Wizard!

• Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    Matz wrote: »
    I don't normally play melee chars in these types of games (sorc and zon I did to death in D2) but have to say that after playing the beta, I really, really enjoyed the barb (only got the monk to level 3 -only had time for about 20 mins- but liked that too). Leaping into groups and smashing them across the room really appealed to me. Played with a few DH's as well and the "machine guns" they were unloading at times looked good to. Lots to like in this game and will be difficult to choose who to go with first.

I have always been a sorc guy myself, but there is a real good chance day 1 is a barb. I loved not only wrecking bitches frenzy style, but having my friends on mumble like "DEAR GOD YOU'RE LEAPING INTO MASSIVE GROUPS OF ENEMIES ARE YOU INSANE" only to laugh hysterically that they go flying across the screen.

sic2sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.