As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The War of Art: Vanguard kind of likes how Satan's asshole smells

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Art medium for decoration, or army carrying case?

paint-can.jpg

edit: Sorry I am done now.
    crap... best totp

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    Just dump the pot directly on to the mini.

When my friends and I started back in... 1994 or something, one of my freinds had some Plague Marines. His method of painting them was to dip them in black enamel paint, then when it was semi dry, dip them in purple enamel paint. Then not shake them off, and hang them upside down to dry. So they had a drip forming on top of their heads that dried, and were this weird, thick, shiny, swirly mixture of black and purple.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Did that actually look good?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    There's no way it actually looked good.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I hate when people do shit like that.

Take some fucking pride in your work, god damn.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Eh, minwax dipping can get decent tabletop results

Ain't gonna fault a dude for not wanting to shade 100+ orks by hand

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Eh, minwax dipping can get decent tabletop results

Ain't gonna fault a dude for not wanting to shade 100+ orks by hand

That's… nothing like what -Loki- said his friend did. At all.

Also, friends don't let friends paint with enamels. Yikes.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    He did dip them into a pot of paint though

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    Also, friends don't let friends paint with enamels. Yikes.

When I got started 20 some years ago, enamels were all I could get because my dad & brother built model tanks and cars and I was a kid with no income.

I ruined so many good minis.

Yeah, I started out with enamels too, but I also started out on model aeroplanes rather than more detailed minis and switched over wholesale to acrylics when I took up 40k. I never looked back.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    In his youth, my father painted WW2 models. He's an architect, so he has a pretty strong artistic streak, and he would make these little diorama's of tanks and infantry doing...war stuff. Anyway, when I first started getting into Warhammer at the age of eleven he was pretty supportive. He got out all his old models and paints and started trying to teach me how to paint models.

Not a lot of it stuck, but he made damn sure I had proper equipment from day one. I kind of wish I had listened more closely when he was talking about highlighting and detail work since I still struggle with those aspects of painting...and he had trophies for diorama's he had done. Diorama's that were two feet by two feet square and had at least 50 28mm infantry on them, all of whom had lifelike faces.

Here I am, painting eyes solid colors and raging over face wrinkles fifteen years later. My point was, out side of a tangent on how I managed to eschew a good opportunity, I never had to paint with enamels.

Yeah my dad painted WWII tanks like a boss. Now my biggest gripe is painting large models like tanks.

I should really bug him and se if he remembers how he did all that.

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    I think when I first started showing an interest in painting minis and stuff my dad was worried I'd become an art major or something.

My Bones minis finally arrived.

You seriously can paint them right out of the package. I'm not too keen on the rubbery plastic they use though.

But still, 3 skeletons cost me like $3.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    It occurs to me that if I'm going to get 6 bikes, an attack bike, and 5 terminators done tomorrow, I better get started tonight.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    How big, typically, would a display board for an army be? 2'x2'? 4'x4'?

steam_sig.png
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    2x2 is a pretty reasonable size for most armies at ~2000pts, unless you're running tonnes of infantry anyway.

• OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ceramite White (the new citadel base white) is awesome, though it's still a pain in the dick to highlight with. Trying to do the really small, white glinty parts on this model, wasn't able to pull it off so I just re-colored those parts. Here's one of the Viktorias from Malifaux so far. I'll get an actual pair of camera shots later to show off the nice shading and highlighting done on her coat.

YU5zh.jpg

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    Having spare models I don't really care about lying around is the best thing. I got tired of painting men-at-arms, so I did some more work on this cheap Chaos warrior.

WIP-Chaos.png

That looks badass.

I am going to have to break my oath for this weekend. I'm going to the movies tonight and spending all day tomorrow at my cousin's house. He's home from Afghanistan for a couple weeks. So... I may get something done Sunday. If I do, I'll feel like I completed the Suez Canal, at this rate.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Man enough of your weepy bullshit. If you spent half the time painting mans as you spent crying about having to paint mans you'd be a 3 time Golden Demon winner from all the practice.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go look at my largely-unprimed Bretonnian army and complain about having to try to come up with some heraldry before crawling under my desk and sobbing quietly.

Dr_Keenbean on
    GIS-ing "medieval French heraldry" and man those fuckers sure liked their fleur-de-lys. And they also apparently hated all future painters of miniature French heraldry too, since they made 'em tiny and put them everywhere.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I could whine about painting, but since I figure out what I want to paint next I guess I shouldn't.

The BTP Frostbite Skaven inspired me so I'm doing something similar with my IoB rats (only with darker, more canon fur and far less skill). Have a test model done that came out ok, just waiting on some paint to come in so I have more brown options. Also, more primer so I can spray my other stuff. The two bottles I had didn't go nearly as far as I hoped it would.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I haven't painted two much lately. Still working on my Menoth DotF. I'm like 1/3 done my third one. Hoping to get her and another done this weekend. I NEED to finish this army by year's end. So I can start another one.

Man enough of your weepy bullshit. If you spent half the time painting mans as you spent crying about having to paint mans you'd be a 3 time Golden Demon winner from all the practice.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go look at my largely-unprimed Bretonnian army and complain about having to try to come up with some heraldry before crawling under my desk and sobbing quietly.

Turns out I'm not going to the movies tonight, so I'll be putting those bikes together after all. Hah! Thanks for the tough love motivation. At least, I'm going to pretend that's what it is.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    He did dip them into a pot of paint though

Minwax wash isn't paint though. It's the equivalent of using washes to do your final blending (like what I do with my skeletons - paint all the colours and some stark highlights, then use devlan mud to dirty it up and blend it all together). You also vigorously shake minwax off so it doesn't drip and run while drying. What he did was simply dip them in black enamel, hang them upside down until they were half dry, then dip them in purple enamel, then hang them upside down again.

And as to @valhalla130's question. No, it looked terrible. As everyone else said it would.
    J wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Does anyone have a good base tone to use for rotting skin? I want to get started on my Zombies, but the rotting flesh I got from GW is almost the consistency of a wash.

P3 thrall flesh.

Thank you muchly. I need to grab some brush on varnish, so I'll drop into the FLGS today and grab some. Need to really crack on with my VCs.
    Having spare models I don't really care about lying around is the best thing. I got tired of painting men-at-arms, so I did some more work on this cheap Chaos warrior.
    WIP-Chaos.png

This is also why I really want Warhammer Quest to come back. The Fantasy range is chock full of basic infantry that look absolutely amazing, but painting 50 of them makes you not want to bother with some of the details (seriously - my VC's have more models in two units than my whole fucking Tyranid army). Warhammer Quest lets you do that since you're only painting a few of them.

-Loki- on
    edited April 2012
    double post

-Loki- on
    As far as brush-on varnish goes you can get Liquitex stuff from craft stores and it works just fine. Plus you get a ton of it any it's probably way cheap, comparatively.

Eh, I'll see what the store carries. I already have some Vallejo brush on satin, which I'm liking a lot on my Infinity stuff. Might get some Vallejo brush on matt.

Yesssss my micro sol and micro set arrived. Now I can use decals without them looking like absolute dogshit! Hopefully I'll have my decal paper this week because fuck freehanding Blood Ravens shoulder pads.

And speaking of Warhammer Quest one of my replacement books just arrived from Jolly England.

edited April 2012
    I really want to order a complete set of Warhammer Quest sets, including the various heroes, but two things stop me.

1. It's fucking expensive. A basic Quest box goes for about $300au.
    2. The second I complete the set, GW will announce a limited time box that is completely compatible with the whole Fantasy range, with rules for creating your own campaigns, and I'll die.

-Loki- on
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Dark Elves! Just another 23 Corsairs and 19 Black Guard to do!
    S5003750.JPG
    S5003754.JPG
    *dies*

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    Weren't you doing High Elves?

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Hmm, if only I could just buy a giant tub of badab black on the cheap.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I have a High Elf army, but I've been working (using the term very loosely) on my Dark Elves for about a year.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Dark Elves are way cooler than High Elves

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    My FLGS did not have P3 Thrall Flesh. I am disappoint. Seemed they only had a sampling of P3 paints now, they used to have a large rack, not only about 30 collours all up.

Also, I feel stupid. I've had my camera for a year and a half, and only just figured out how to turn on macro mode. Here's a kind of blurry close up of a WIP Infinity model.

359491_sm-.JPG

• OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    The game store I used to go to apparently put up its P3 line in clearance. They're not going to restock and the current one I go to doesn't have any either. :( God damn.

makosig.jpg
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Buy it all buy it all

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited April 2012
    There's nothing good left. I wanted Thamar Black and Coal Black. :( Damn place's seen better days. Owner's pretty much forsaken anything that isn't GW-related.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.