As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Texas Loses All Its Medicaid Money (for Women) Due to Its [War on Women]

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Cognitive dissonance is their fucking bread and butter.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I've wondered if these people can see how hypocritical they are?

"We want smaller government and to get rid of big brother for FREEDOM! But we also want to control your health decisions and force our beliefs on you cause ours are more freedomy. FREEDOM!"

I have a hard time believing they even know what freedom is.

Freedom to make sure that everyone lives they way God intended

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I swear, every day they come closer and closer to invoking The Handmaid's Tale as a template for the future.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The War on Women continues to be a total myth:
    On April 17, smack in the middle of Sexual Assault Awareness Month, Gov. Rick Scott vetoed $1.5 million for the Florida Council Against Sexual Violence. The Legislature allotted the funds to the organization in order to support 30 rape crisis centers as they face impending reductions in collections, which currently is the bulk of their budgets. [...]

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    In other news, Rick Scott is pissed off at the world because he has two first names.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    In other news, Rick Scott is pissed off at the world because he has two first names.

Maybe he should deal with that problem the way real men do, i.e. by becoming Batman

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Maybe he should deal with that problem the way real men do, i.e. by becoming Batman

Former governor Rick Scott found dead this evening after being shot in the face by a local gang member. More at 11.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Former governor Rick Scott found dead this evening after being eaten by wolves.

I cannot see a politician's name in a sentence that starts like that one without thinking of that sketch.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Scott needs that money to pay for the welfare drug screenings.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    That's our Lila!

*laugh track, applause*

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Am I allowed to hate her? Or is that too much?

Maybe I just really don't like what she says.

Urge to kill rising....

No! Back in your cage!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    A shame, she's pretty and young. Unfortunate when they're so dumb.

• mythagomythago Registered User regular
    Am I allowed to hate her? Or is that too much?

I dunno, are you a Christian or something? They're not allowed to hate. Otherwise, go for it.

Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
    :twisted:

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I don't hate her, because she is doing a better job tipping off the rest of the country to the out-of-touch ineptitude of most extreme conservative activists better than any of us could. Same reason I don't really mind when a crazy liberal comes out and says or does something dumb. It reminds those of a moderate mind how idiotic extreme politics is, and how dumb it makes everyone involved look.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Despite the fact that I know I'm being made fun of, I have no idea who Mr. Broder is....so I am going to Google it now.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Despite the fact that I know I'm being made fun of, I have no idea who Mr. Broder is....so I am going to Google it now.

No, no, no. You never say you are google searching something you do not know.

YOu just do it and then respond so it appears you know what you are talking about.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular

YOu just do it and then respond so it appears you know what you are talking about.

The internets are strong with this one.

What's an internetz?

DAMN! I'm doing it wrong!

:P

steam_sig.png

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Don't forget to throw in some contempt in there along with pretending the thing you just looked up is totally something you always knew.

• mythagomythago Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I swear, every day they come closer and closer to invoking The Handmaid's Tale as a template for the future.

I suspect the costumes are a little too Catholic for them.

(As a digression, The Handmaid's Tale was less a warning for the future - remember, it has a happy ending - and more an examination about how women collaborate in, and indeed form the foot soldiers in, maintaining an oppressive patriarchy.)

Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Re: this year's Time 100 - nytimes.com/slideshow/2012/04/26/fashion/20120426-SCENE-10.html
    Cardinal Timothy M. Dolan was honored by Time for putting “himself and his church back in the center of the national political conversation.”

But guests were still buzzing about a joke that Mr. Colbert had made moments ealier. “Perhaps the most influential person on the list is here, Sara Blakely, the inventor of the Spanx,” Mr. Colbert said. “No one, no one has done more to control women’s bodies, except maybe Cardinal Dolan.”

Fuck. Yes. Stephen.

edit: full speech, just as awesome http://thepage.time.com/2012/04/25/clinton-and-colbert-at-the-time-100/#ixzz1t6QTiNYT

KalTorak on
  • MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Re: this year's Time 100 - nytimes.com/slideshow/2012/04/26/fashion/20120426-SCENE-10.html
    Cardinal Timothy M. Dolan was honored by Time for putting “himself and his church back in the center of the national political conversation.”

But guests were still buzzing about a joke that Mr. Colbert had made moments ealier. “Perhaps the most influential person on the list is here, Sara Blakely, the inventor of the Spanx,” Mr. Colbert said. “No one, no one has done more to control women’s bodies, except maybe Cardinal Dolan.”

Fuck. Yes. Stephen.

edit: full speech, just as awesome http://thepage.time.com/2012/04/25/clinton-and-colbert-at-the-time-100/#ixzz1t6QTiNYT

Hooooly shit....I hope there's a video of that speech somewhere. Hopefully a video that shows reaction shots of Dolan ala Obama's roast of Trump. That was amazing.

Maratastik on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Not really a GOP thing, but I didn't feel that we needed a third or fourth concurrent [Women's Issues] thread (or if we do, it would be lovely for the Mods to merge all of the threads into one larger macro thread), so here's some news:

Fort Wayne, Indiana, Diosese says IVF "immoral," fires school teacher who attempted artificial insemination.
    In an official statement yesterday, the Diocese said the Church is against IVF because it, "very frequently involves the deliberate destruction of embryos or the freezing of embryos, which the Church holds to be incompatible with the respect owed to human life."

Herx informed the church that no embryos have been destroyed during the process of her treatments.

So, basically, the Church fired her for creating life, just because sometimes in some cases (but not hers explicitly) it damages embryos.

For good measure, several male staff members of the school have gone on record as having vasectomies and using condoms, which the Church has yet to comment or take action upon.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I would also like a consolidation of issues. It is getting a little confusing deciding which thread I might want to post a reply into.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    ...this is getting fucking ridiculous. It really is.

"Women are for making babies! If they're trying to stop themselves making babies, they're immoral sluts! But if they don't make babies the exact way we want them to, even if they don't have the opportunity, they're baby-murderers, even when they aren't!"

The Catholic church needs to reinstate the post of devil's advocate and put one in every church and Catholic school.

Was that an actual thing? Devils advocate? I just thought it was a phrase. I admittedly don't know too much on catholic history.

steam_sig.png

edited April 2012
    Was that an actual thing? Devils advocate? I just thought it was a phrase. I admittedly don't know too much on catholic history.

Yeah, his job, IIRC, was to say "This is why the person nominated shouldn't be a saint." They changed the title and responsibilities so that his job is "Convince me why the person nominated should be a saint. I am almost scientific in my skepticism."

But yeah, they need to bring him back, and then make him the sort of guy who picks apart every press release and decision before it's actually done.

Shadowen on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

Yeah, his job, IIRC, was to say "This is why the person nominated shouldn't be a saint." They changed the title and responsibilities so that his job is "Convince me why the person nominated should be a saint. I am almost scientific in my skepticism."

But yeah, they need to bring him back, and then make him the sort of guy who picks apart every press release and decision before it's actually done.
    Maybe they got rid of him because his jobs just got to easy - "because he was a Nazi loving POS" is not a difficult decision to make.

Oh. I just made myself sad.

The more you know.

Thanks Shadow :)

steam_sig.png

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Not really a GOP thing, but I didn't feel that we needed a third or fourth concurrent [Women's Issues] thread (or if we do, it would be lovely for the Mods to merge all of the threads into one larger macro thread), so here's some news:

Fort Wayne, Indiana, Diosese says IVF "immoral," fires school teacher who attempted artificial insemination.
    In an official statement yesterday, the Diocese said the Church is against IVF because it, "very frequently involves the deliberate destruction of embryos or the freezing of embryos, which the Church holds to be incompatible with the respect owed to human life."

Herx informed the church that no embryos have been destroyed during the process of her treatments.

So, basically, the Church fired her for creating life, just because sometimes in some cases (but not hers explicitly) it damages embryos.

For good measure, several male staff members of the school have gone on record as having vasectomies and using condoms, which the Church has yet to comment or take action upon.
    Holy shitfuck. This is not just a war on women anymore, it's pretty much open season on women.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    lol the Church

Maybe they should focus on more churchy stuff and less on reproduction

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm not a fan of the church's stance on these things, but the idea that IVF and abortion are both bad because they destroy viable embryos (and thus ensouled human life) is internally consistent. In my social circle there is more flak against the church for NOT condemning IVF. (Edit: To clarify, by flak I mean that saying abortion = bad but IVF = good is just pandering for the creation of more believers rather than sticking to a religiously consistent opinion.)

Now to be completely consistent they need to okay the use of contraceptives.

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan of the church's stance on these things, but the idea that IVF and abortion are both bad because they destroy viable embryos (and thus ensouled human life) is internally consistent. In my social circle there is more flak against the church for NOT condemning IVF. Now to be completely consistent they need to okay the use of contraceptives.

Except that's not the issue. The issue is the church pressing its beliefs on secular employees.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Angel, I agree that's a problem, but the belief-pressing matter has been news for a while now, esp. with regards to financing birth control/other medical procedures. This is the first I've heard of the IVF thing though, so I focused on that.

• PhantPhant Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan of the church's stance on these things, but the idea that IVF and abortion are both bad because they destroy viable embryos (and thus ensouled human life) is internally consistent. In my social circle there is more flak against the church for NOT condemning IVF. Now to be completely consistent they need to okay the use of contraceptives.

Except that's not the issue. The issue is the church pressing its beliefs on secular employees.

Considering the mention about male employees it sounds like sexual discrimination too!

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Phant wrote: »

Considering the mention about male employees it sounds like sexual discrimination too!

Yeah, these apparent "ideals" are not being upheld equally in all cases. If this woman can get fired for using IVF, the guys getting vasectomies and using condoms should as well.

edited April 2012
    Marathon wrote: »
    Phant wrote: »

Yeah, these apparent "ideals" are not being upheld equally in all cases. If this woman can get fired for using IVF, the guys getting vasectomies and using condoms should as well.

Yeah, this is the point I was getting at. The church should think it's a good thing for men to get vasectomies and use condoms. They don't. It's one thing for the church to disagree with me, it's another for it to disagree with itself while also yelling at the moon.

Dropping Loads on