As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My tv has digital tuner, but Comcast says we need digital equipment

ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So yesterday my tv started showing a message on every channel that my TV isn't ready for Comcast's digital network. I called and they said that we need digital equipment. However, my TV does have a built in digital tuner. Its a Samsung LN32550, here is the product site: samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/LN32B550K1FXZA

I asked if the problem is specifically in regards to having a digital tuner, they said yes. However, they weren't sure why I wasn't getting a signal with a built in tuner.

Has anyone run into this? Is there something I have to set up on my tv? Thank you!

steam_sig.png
PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
ShinyRedKnight on

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Not all digital tuners are created equal, and the one in your TV may not have Comcast's descrambling code. In fact, it likely doesn't. Comcast heavily scrambles their digital and HD services.

Has it ever worked? Did it suddenly just stop working? You seem to indicate as much, which is strange. It never should have worked at all, unless Comcast just recently started scrambling signal in your area.

e: I would call Comcast and ask if they started scrambling signal.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    They probably converted your local network to SDV (switched digital video). They've been rolling it out across the country over the last couple years to free up bandwidth for internet service, and it requires a box even if your TV has a ClearQAM/digital tuner.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    There's that too. They did it here recently, and gave me a free upgrade to 40/10 internet when they did. I was pleased.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    Alrighty, I was worried that if it doesn't work now it wouldn't work with the box. I'll call them up and get it. Thanks!

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight