As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - Extra Credits Season 4, Ep. 11: Harassment

2»

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    Does Xbox keep audiologs when reports are filed?

Well, we're finally reaching a point in bandwidth / storage solutions where this may be doable, though still not really viable perhaps.

• Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    The point isn't to solve this issue in a forum thread.

There are numerous complexities that make it impossible to provide a blanket solution. If you're working on a game or are a big fan of a game, you should try and think of specific ways to tailor these ideas to address those games' specific harassment issues.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »
    Does Xbox keep audiologs when reports are filed?

Well, we're finally reaching a point in bandwidth / storage solutions where this may be doable, though still not really viable perhaps.
    Previous examples might suggest that, no, audologs are not currently kept. There was even a PA comic not too long ago immortalizing an XBLA mod who had initially been vilified by the person he banned due to the mega-troll posting edited video of the conversation.

• Options
    ReenenReenen Registered User new member
    edited May 2012
    Hi,

First time poster, and this video is the one that makes me do it. I want to download the video, and share with my friends. In our country bandwidth is quite expensive and HD space much less so. Is there a way to download this video? Is it legal/allowed?

I've tried to watch it through on my phone like 5 times, but then I get interrupted, and my phone doesn't allow for "pausing". So it's new bandwitdh everytime to get it! :-/

Reenen on
  • Options
    SnapDraconSnapDracon Registered User new member
    edited May 2012
    I'm a bit surprised how amenable everyone seems to be with inviting the institution to step in and solve the issue for us. If someone is a tool, I mute them. Done. Tool gone.
    It hasn't occurred to me to petition Microsoft, or Nintendo, or the State, to step in and regulate online gaming for my safety and comfort. My experience with these institutions is they have a pretty clumsy hand in these things and never, ever stop regulating where I want them to stop.
    That, and charge for the "service."

SnapDracon on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Bringing this back to give you all a headsup on something important related to the topic.

A blogger out of CA, Anita Sarkeesian, put together a small Kickstarter proposal to do a small web-based series discussing the use of misogynistic tropes in video games, following up a similar series she did on films. It's a sort of analysis that is quite appropriate.

For daring to do this, she has been the subject of a campaign of hate and harassment :

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/internet/2012/06/dear-internet-why-you-cant-have-anything-nice

The good news is that she has well exceeded her target, and has stated that she will move ahead with the series, despite the attacks. But the fact that these attacks happened in the first place is a black mark against the gaming community.

We're better than this, folks.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum