As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat]!

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I have a specific hunger for gummy bears.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I like to think I'm pretty flexible with RPGs.

BUT I FUCKING HATE DARK HERESY AND GRID COMBAT.

Right, so how would you like to play Shadowrun? *hides the new map grind I got*

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Oh god, bounce away my friends, hurry! Bounce here and there! Everywhere!
    lJiqu.jpg

• Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular

I agree with you on grid combat. I think that's the one aspect of 4th edition that I dislike the most; everything is built around placing little miniatures on a grid.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Running from Qeynos to Kelethin

Forgetting to get a bind

Falling out of a tree

yesssssssssssssssssssss

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Man I feel like I'll never join you guys in the after-graduation orgy.

Three fucking years goddammit. I'll be fucking old by then!

Time does fly, yo!

I have one year left on a five year program now and I studied at another university-esque school for two years before that.

Feels like yesterday I started the education I'm on right now. Getting older fucks with the time perception or something.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    I want to nap, but if I nap, I'm fucked.

Chastity belt.

Alternatively, how so?

yGxvf.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Running from Qeynos to Freeport.

Camping spawns.

Traveling 30m just so you could join up with a group.

Reading your spell book.

Shouting LFG.

Idiots asking my bard for SoW.

Every class that wasn't bard.

Forgetting to get a bind

Falling out of a tree

fuck gendered marketing
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Aaaaand my post got lost in the void between two pages.

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

grids are the worst

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Right, remembering the times I accidentally overhealed in Dragonrealms and made my own chest explode. Cured of the urge to play.

Aaaaand my post is now back again.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    my first EQ character was a human ranger, before all the neat ranger changes.

it was the worst

Echo wrote: »
    Guild Wars 2 feels like it's designed entirely for the late 20s-early 30s gamers that grew up with MMOs but now have jobs and shit and has all these quality of life things and generally slaughters a whole herd of holy MMO cows.

Well, slaughtering holy MMO cows was pretty much their raison d'être.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i am the best

obF2Wuw.png
    edited April 2012
    Grid combat is fucking awesome.

Disco Terrier on
    yGxvf.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    The best part of Diamond Age on audiobook is that I squeal like a little girl when a new character starts to narrate. The narrator does amazing accents and will jump from Yorkshire to London to RP to Brooklyn to Texas in as many lines.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    And Pony, some of the fight slowness last night was neophyte characters who were holding back against a group of idiots.

some of it, like the Toughness issue, comes up in all M&M games

the Toughness mechanic is REALLY WONKY and needs to be looked at with a hard eye

Toughness makes sense in a four color campaign where your gonna be punching people through buildings and it doesn't even really faze the character. For more gritty campaigns the solution I'd look at is making the toughness save Attack PL + 20 rather then +15. It means high toughness characters will take bruises more often but shrug off dazes and stuns. And low toughness characters will splatter if the dice don't go their way.

so, a solution I came up with to some of my problems with the Toughness mechanics and also "roll wonkyness" (SCIENTIFIC TERM DO NOT STEAL) is to do it like this:

You don't roll toughness or defenses. Those are flat +10 values.

When someone attacks you, they make ONE 1d20 roll. They add their attack bonus to that roll result to determine if they hit you (by comparing it against your Dodge/Parry), and then they add their damage bonus to see if they hurt you, and if so by how much (comparing it against your Toughness).

When it's an attack that has no attack roll normally (like a Fort-based Affliction), the attacker is STILL rolling against the respective defense of the person they're going against.

It makes it uniform, simple, and makes every attack resolved with one dice roll per thing, always

what do you think.

I'm slightly confused. So every character has a flat toughness of +10? Or is it toughness +10?

Toughness +10

take all your defenses (Parry, Dodge, Fort, Will, and Toughness) and add +10 to them, that's the DC people have to roll against. Obviously, on your character sheet, keep your bonuses like they are because those bonuses get screwed with, but in combat, when someone is rolling to hit your Parry defense, they're rolling against your Parry bonus + 10

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

Me. Me. Me. I want to play Shadowrun. I'll even tolerate your grids. I don't get enough opportunity to play Shadowrun.

• NiladenNiladen Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Running from Qeynos to Freeport.

Camping spawns.

Traveling 30m just so you could join up with a group.

Reading your spell book.

Shouting LFG.

Idiots asking my bard for SoW.

Every class that wasn't bard.

Forgetting to get a bind

Falling out of a tree

Waiting for the boat back to Freeport for 30 mins from the Sister Isle after hunting the Cyclops, getting kicked while zoning, waiting another 30 minutes...

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Okay, we are talking about EQ. Holy crapppp. I loved that game so muchhhh.

Fansy was my hero.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    How about they make an MMO without a leveling system. They give you a hundred points at the start and then you're off to raid boss hideouts and loot dungeons within the first hour.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    i remember loving playing anyone other than a human or barbarian because sometimes I just couldn't see shit in the game

Bards!

lol keyboard turner

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    It's Aaron's birthday so I guess I'm gonna suck his donger some.

And Pony, some of the fight slowness last night was neophyte characters who were holding back against a group of idiots.

the Toughness mechanic is REALLY WONKY and needs to be looked at with a hard eye

Toughness makes sense in a four color campaign where your gonna be punching people through buildings and it doesn't even really faze the character. For more gritty campaigns the solution I'd look at is making the toughness save Attack PL + 20 rather then +15. It means high toughness characters will take bruises more often but shrug off dazes and stuns. And low toughness characters will splatter if the dice don't go their way.

so, a solution I came up with to some of my problems with the Toughness mechanics and also "roll wonkyness" (SCIENTIFIC TERM DO NOT STEAL) is to do it like this:

When someone attacks you, they make ONE 1d20 roll. They add their attack bonus to that roll result to determine if they hit you (by comparing it against your Dodge/Parry), and then they add their damage bonus to see if they hurt you, and if so by how much (comparing it against your Toughness).

When it's an attack that has no attack roll normally (like a Fort-based Affliction), the attacker is STILL rolling against the respective defense of the person they're going against.

It makes it uniform, simple, and makes every attack resolved with one dice roll per thing, always

what do you think.

I'm slightly confused. So every character has a flat toughness of +10? Or is it toughness +10?

Toughness +10

take all your defenses (Parry, Dodge, Fort, Will, and Toughness) and add +10 to them, that's the DC people have to roll against. Obviously, on your character sheet, keep your bonuses like they are because those bonuses get screwed with, but in combat, when someone is rolling to hit your Parry defense, they're rolling against your Parry bonus + 10

I'm gonna need to chew on it, but my first reaction is that players are really, really gonna have to focus on keeping their defenses at the PL. The current system has some slack where you can be a couple of points shy of PL for say Fort and still have a decent chance of making a save. I'd need to do the math to be sure but I think if you're less then PL for defenses you're fucked. And what about area effect saves/dodge checks?

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    So who was in charge of telling me that The Diamond Age is fucking heartbreaking?

YOU FAILED IN YOUR DUTIES.

when you mentioned you were reading that the other day I actually wrote most of a reply in warning. But it seemed too spoilery so I didn't post it.

But yeah. Even for an author famed for his inability to finish a story, Diamond Age falls apart at the end.
    The decision for the main character to go to China and work a shitty job in a sketchy ass brothel has to rank among the most heinious of literary crimes. Makes no fucking sense at all.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    tyrannus wrote: »
    my first EQ character was a human ranger, before all the neat ranger changes.

it was the worst

hi5

My first character was a ranger. It was awful.

Bards were civilization.

Echo wrote: »
    Bards!

lol keyboard turner

Did you miss the part where he was kiting like 20 guards?

It's easy to miss, it only happens for two whole minutes.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    mrflippy wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »
    MMO theorycraft comes mostly from the very fine tuning dungeons in MMOs have.
    If you have a suboptimal build, you may endanger the goal for the entire team.

Shit, during my hightier WoW days you'd actually play with mods that predicted your latency in order to autocancel the current cast and start the next, to do more damage.

Back in my EQ days, we had to cast all of our spells by hand and remember when spells were going to wear off. None of this addon nonsense. I hear you guys don't even lose experience for dying anymore either.

when you wanted to regen mana you'd actually have to read your spell book

god everything about EQ was awful

and every time they made it better

oh the neckbeards

the neckbeards would wail

and rend their garments

A while back at board game night there were a couple of people in the store going on about how great EQ was and MMOs these days are all just "dumbed down" and too accessable to the unwashed masses.

Then they segued into how much more they liked Pathfinder than 4th ed.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!

grids are the worst

Depends on the campaign style. Using Shadowrun as an example. If the team is an elite group of mercs that live, eat and breath tactics? Give me a grid. If we're a group of Ocean's 11 style thieves then leave the grid at home.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Grid combat is fucking awesome.

I am a fan for dungeon crawls, or shooty board games like Gears of War. All moving dudes and positioning and AOEing and stuff.

Certainly for Polaris or something it would not be good.

Grids and hexes allow having plastic mans and painting them while drinking beers and showing off your masterful use of a sloppy ink wash over basic dry brushing. I like that part!

Ultimately I am a fanboy for FATE splitting the difference between vague talk only and graph paper only.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Oh god, bounce away my friends, hurry! Bounce here and there! Everywhere!
    lJiqu.jpg

High adventure that's beyond compare!

• mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    I watched some developer talk video that was linked over in the Diablo 3 thread and I really like their design philosophy for the game.

There was also a Q/A session linked over there and one of the questions was "Seriously guys, now Im really curious. What the hell were you trying to do in D2 if you werent seeing which builds could make it to 99?" The answer was, "Entertainment. Play a game, have some fun, waste some time. Playing video games isn't serious business for everyone."

So awesome.

Honk wrote: »
    Man I feel like I'll never join you guys in the after-graduation orgy.

Three fucking years goddammit. I'll be fucking old by then!

Time does fly, yo!

I have one year left on a five year program now and I studied at another university-esque school for two years before that.

Feels like yesterday I started the education I'm on right now. Getting older fucks with the time perception or something.

These two months of college have gone away like whoosh definitely.

I just don't wanna do college really. I want to work and buy an apartment and stuffs!

yGxvf.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    It's Aaron's birthday so I guess I'm gonna suck his donger some.

And they say romance is dead ...

• PonyPony Registered User regular

what do you think.

Toughness +10

I'm gonna need to chew on it, but my first reaction is that players are really, really gonna have to focus on keeping their defenses at the PL. The current system has some slack where you can be a couple of points shy of PL for say Fort and still have a decent chance of making a save. I'd need to do the math to be sure but I think if you're less then PL for defenses you're fucked. And what about area effect saves/dodge checks?

fuck it

i give up

fully none of what i'm explaining is getting through to you

i fucking give up

i have to seriously consider what i am doing and why i am bothering anymore

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    How about they make an MMO without a leveling system. They give you a hundred points at the start and then you're off to raid boss hideouts and loot dungeons within the first hour.
    But then there would be no psychology and you'd have to make the gameplay actually fun!

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
This discussion has been closed.