As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]!

1858687888991»

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i would just like to say that everything J said about character building is wrong, and even grognards with spreadsheets and calculators aren't minmaxing out of the sheer joy of it, they are doing it because they are compulsive and are unable to create a character without attempting to maximize its effectiveness. alright, yes, some of them enjoy it, but they're mutants.

i would also suggest that the people who do enjoy minmaxing are the minority, and most players just want to be able to make a character with an intuitive system. i mean, when the rulebook is deliberately trying to fool you? fuck your game.

that said, adversarial GMing in a system that allows for player creativity while constraining the GM from just killing people by fiat is a wonderful thing though very hard to achieve.

finally, i don't believe there is any actual evidence that Planck time would be the smallest unit of time possible, right? It's just the smallest discrete unit of time that we have had reason to calculate or deal with. Just as the spatial equivalent is not necessarily the dot matrix of reality. In fact it is likely not.

CAUGHT UP.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Bards!

lol keyboard turner
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgj0RDJ9RA

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    There's a Gears of War board game?

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    How about they make an MMO without a leveling system. They give you a hundred points at the start and then you're off to raid boss hideouts and loot dungeons within the first hour.
    But then there would be no psychology and you'd have to make the gameplay actually fun!

I've been saying for a while that an MMO that I would play the hell out of is one with no levels and gear is fully custom. Like, you pick out what your armor looks like and that's what you start with, but you gain 'enchants' for it as a method of gear progression. You can change the look at any time for a price (Buy a new set of armor, basically). No clown suits unless that's what you want.

Also, scalable questing. You wanna raid that dungeon alone? Okay, but you probably won't get much out of it. Got 4 friends? Okay, it scales up. Got 40? Okay, it scales further. Rewards scale faster, though, so you gain more individual rewards by grouping, but you can grind dungeons by yourself all day if that's what you want.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    And Pony, some of the fight slowness last night was neophyte characters who were holding back against a group of idiots.

some of it, like the Toughness issue, comes up in all M&M games

the Toughness mechanic is REALLY WONKY and needs to be looked at with a hard eye

Toughness makes sense in a four color campaign where your gonna be punching people through buildings and it doesn't even really faze the character. For more gritty campaigns the solution I'd look at is making the toughness save Attack PL + 20 rather then +15. It means high toughness characters will take bruises more often but shrug off dazes and stuns. And low toughness characters will splatter if the dice don't go their way.

so, a solution I came up with to some of my problems with the Toughness mechanics and also "roll wonkyness" (SCIENTIFIC TERM DO NOT STEAL) is to do it like this:

You don't roll toughness or defenses. Those are flat +10 values.

When someone attacks you, they make ONE 1d20 roll. They add their attack bonus to that roll result to determine if they hit you (by comparing it against your Dodge/Parry), and then they add their damage bonus to see if they hurt you, and if so by how much (comparing it against your Toughness).

When it's an attack that has no attack roll normally (like a Fort-based Affliction), the attacker is STILL rolling against the respective defense of the person they're going against.

It makes it uniform, simple, and makes every attack resolved with one dice roll per thing, always

what do you think.

I'm slightly confused. So every character has a flat toughness of +10? Or is it toughness +10?

Toughness +10

take all your defenses (Parry, Dodge, Fort, Will, and Toughness) and add +10 to them, that's the DC people have to roll against. Obviously, on your character sheet, keep your bonuses like they are because those bonuses get screwed with, but in combat, when someone is rolling to hit your Parry defense, they're rolling against your Parry bonus + 10

I'm gonna need to chew on it, but my first reaction is that players are really, really gonna have to focus on keeping their defenses at the PL. The current system has some slack where you can be a couple of points shy of PL for say Fort and still have a decent chance of making a save. I'd need to do the math to be sure but I think if you're less then PL for defenses you're fucked. And what about area effect saves/dodge checks?

fuck it

i give up

fully none of what i'm explaining is getting through to you

i fucking give up

i have to seriously consider what i am doing and why i am bothering anymore

Pony, relax man. I can see how that would simplify combat, and it would likely make combat faster by making it a bit more dangerous. My concern about it is that it might force more focus on spending more points on defenses rather then fluffier things which isn't a side effect I think you wanted.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    [chat], lets get married so we can just stop all this dating sillyness. I'm done with it.

A sexless marriage sounds pretty good right now.

Well, I love you Paws, but I'm not in love with you.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    [chat], lets get married so we can just stop all this dating sillyness. I'm done with it.

A sexless marriage sounds pretty good right now.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    A gummi bear tabletop game on hexes

Rolling dice with simple richocet mechanics to calculate which way you bounce off an enemy

I'd play it

• Options
    And now it looks like I preemptively rejected Paws. Awesome!

sig.gif
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    omg post got eaten

i am getting really sick of this

gist of it is adversarial rulebooks are terrible design, and planck time is not the smallest possible unit of time as i have understood it

• Options
    Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    1oXh5.png

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Ah keyboard turners. I remember we had to sit our ret paladin out for half the mimiron fight because she keyboard turned and couldn't get out of the explosions fast enough.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    How about they make an MMO without a leveling system. They give you a hundred points at the start and then you're off to raid boss hideouts and loot dungeons within the first hour.
    But then there would be no psychology and you'd have to make the gameplay actually fun!

League of Legends could do without the leveling system. Level 30 - what is that? Why are they holding out? Give me my damn points and let me ace some noobs.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    fucking fuck this bullshit

i'm tired of being the guy in the video for Sting's "Lose My Faith"

swinging a sword at the ocean

i'm done

i'm done trying to hold this god damn game system bullshit down and make it work

i find the system vexing, nobody seems to understand my complaints

i propose changes, nobody gets my solutions

i'm preeeeetttttty sure the problem, by process of elimination, is me or its other people

in either case, i'm fuckin' done

i have tried, time and time again, with getting this shit to work and to get everyone on the same page and it's just not happening

not even sure why i bother, any enjoyment i get out of doing it gets fucking plastered by how much it infuriates me

there's something to be said about the definition of insanity being trying the same thing repeatedly, expecting different results

• Options
    And I could totally see Disco's picture while I was typing my other post, then when I posted it it not only went above Disco's image but it was time-stamped for one minute before it.

I'm fucking causality right in the eye today. How'd you like getting eye-fucked, causality!

sig.gif
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Feral wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    mrflippy wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »
    MMO theorycraft comes mostly from the very fine tuning dungeons in MMOs have.
    If you have a suboptimal build, you may endanger the goal for the entire team.

Shit, during my hightier WoW days you'd actually play with mods that predicted your latency in order to autocancel the current cast and start the next, to do more damage.

Back in my EQ days, we had to cast all of our spells by hand and remember when spells were going to wear off. None of this addon nonsense. I hear you guys don't even lose experience for dying anymore either.

when you wanted to regen mana you'd actually have to read your spell book

god everything about EQ was awful

and every time they made it better

oh the neckbeards

the neckbeards would wail

and rend their garments

A while back at board game night there were a couple of people in the store going on about how great EQ was and MMOs these days are all just "dumbed down" and too accessable to the unwashed masses.

Then they segued into how much more they liked Pathfinder than 4th ed.

I can't imagine a way to more succinctly encapsulate a certain breed of gamer.

• Options

And comic book.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

Yes, co-operative little modular dungeon. Each turn you go but you also draw a bad guy card and do whatever it says with the baddies.

Like Doom meets those co op D & D ones kinda.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i find that the boobies are the best part

• Options
    Richy wrote: »
    And now it looks like I preemptively rejected Paws. Awesome!

It hurt before I asked it! :D

D:

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i think i actually graduate a year from now.

whoa

I will give no congrats until you graduate. But I am proud of you.

Unless you are going to be a useless Philosophy major!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWhtPByViJU

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.