As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• TenekTenek Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/26/11409166-first-thoughts-obama-maintains-map-edge?lite
    There are 231 electoral votes in the Democratic column (either in the solid, likely, or lean categories), and there are 197 on the Republican side; 110 electoral votes are toss-up. In our previous NBC News map, which we released in late February, the Democratic advantage was 227-197. The only changes from February until now were that we moved New Hampshire from toss-up to Lean Dem; we moved Indiana from Likely GOP to Lean GOP; and we moved Georgia from Lean GOP to Likely GOP.

*** Breaking down the seven toss-up states: As you see above, we have seven states in the toss-up category: Colorado, Florida, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. And if we were to push some of these states -- based on polling, past performance, and what we’ve heard from the campaigns/parties -- we’d give a slight edge to Obama in Colorado and Pennsylvania, and we’d give a slight edge to Romney in North Carolina. And that leaves us with four pure toss-ups: Florida, Nevada, Ohio, and Virginia. One other point here: There aren’t enough toss-ups in the Midwest for Romney. He HAS to put Michigan and Wisconsin into play to put map pressure on Obama, especially if the GOP’s Hispanic problem continues to make the Western swing states uphill climbs.

I don't see where a NC lean to Romney comes from. Polling has leaned the other way

In fact, looking at tossups...
    Florida - Obama up between 2 and 7 in every poll, won in 08
    Nevada - Obama has been up at least 5 in every poll and won in 08
    Ohio - Obama up in every poll, ~5% won in 08
    Virginia - polling inconsistent, Obama consistently led until recently and won in 08

The tossup lean to Obama in CO and PA apparently means between a 5 and 10 point lead.

I'm not sure how the hell PA got on the toss-up list after voting Democratic five times in a row. It occurs to me that they might not want to publish a map that says "Hey, Obama already has enough to win!" though.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Somebody should make a rebuttal video with almost 1:1 talking points about "If we want America to succeed."

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »
    I'm not sure how the hell PA got on the toss-up list after voting Democratic five times in a row. It occurs to me that they might not want to publish a map that says "Hey, Obama already has enough to win!" though.

That's basically what it comes down to. It's in the interest of the media to keep the race 'close'. If it isn't, they can just put states into the 'tossup' column until it is.

It's like how the recent 'close' race in Alberta between the Progressive Conservatives and the Wildrose Party ended up PC-61 WRP-17.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    That video is painful to watch, because it is so devoid of any factual information and is just huge scaremongering

I can't wait till it starts making the rounds on my conservative friend's facebook posts....

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ-4gnNz0vc

Let the mudslinging ads for election year 2012 begin.

I managed twenty seconds before I had to stop myself punching my monitor. Not so much the message as it(only 20 seconds of it), but the messenger.

Speaking as a member of the arrogant entitled white male douchnozzle community, we do not make good spokesperson for this kind of ad. Even in the worst of times, we got it better then anybody else.

Having that arrogant entitled white douchnozzle critiquing anybody, lessens the message.

Was he pro Obama or Romney? Romney right?

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

I was linked this yesterday, because "I want to see your reaction to it".

So, naturally, instead of hooting and hollering like an angry howler monkey, I watched the whole thing, then calmly informed him that people who want to believe unsourced conspiracy theories are going to believe them regardless of reality, and people with the mildest bit of education will not.

There is so much wrong with that video that it isn't even worth rebutting. So, good response choice.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Neither?

I think it is either pro-china and/or anti-america.

Didn't really get much other than that from it.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I think Gingrich would gladly take the office of President of the Moon.

"The Moon belongs to America, and anxiously awaits her astro-men. Will you be among them?"

The Izzard Statute of Flag-Based Acquisition states our ownership exactly.
    ...and we didn't even have to take lip from 200 million native moon men about how they already lived there!

Now let's get moving on Mars. Or better yet the fucking sun? You think solar energy is free, you dirty European hippies? Well, enjoy it while it lasts...

You laugh now, but wait until I get the rights to the Sun. I will charge everyone for use of its energy. Men, women, children, plants.

Prices subject to change:

$5 for a tan or photosynthesis.

$2 for vitamin D production and every kilowatt of power transferred to electricity.

And if you don't pay....

1268750813-simpsons_sun-jj-001.jpg

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular

I'm guessing by those comments and the amount of likes that video has that America is on board for free market capitalism.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Kipling217 wrote: »

I managed twenty seconds before I had to stop myself punching my monitor. Not so much the message as it(only 20 seconds of it), but the messenger.

Speaking as a member of the arrogant entitled white male douchnozzle community, we do not make good spokesperson for this kind of ad. Even in the worst of times, we got it better then anybody else.

Having that arrogant entitled white douchnozzle critiquing anybody, lessens the message.

Why is it almost always an upper middle class American white guy saying something like "the government has made us slaves", when they are objectively one of the most privileged individuals to have ever existed in the history of the human race.

Hell, if you made a scale that covered every person just in fucking North America today, and ranked them in order of quality of life, "upper middle class white American" would be so far up the scale as to be touching the end of it.

override367 on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yesss, the comments. Everyone should read all the comments underneath that video.

emnmnme on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Because he can.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I wasn't too sure who that video was supposed to be attacking at first. The tone sounded like anti-Obama, but I was interpreting the context as against the GOP. At least at first, then the rest started to sink in.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote: »

I'm guessing by those comments and the amount of likes that video has that America is on board for free market capitalism.

The amusing thing of course is that other than a few false crisis he mentions about bureaucracy and hypocrisy regarding spending I actually support most of those policies. With minimal cuts, a change in music and tone, and even minimal changes to the dialogue I could put out the same video with the same points and say "If I wanted America to succeed"

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »

That's basically what it comes down to. It's in the interest of the media to keep the race 'close'. If it isn't, they can just put states into the 'tossup' column until it is.

It's like how the recent 'close' race in Alberta between the Progressive Conservatives and the Wildrose Party ended up PC-61 WRP-17.

The problem is that the media is in kind of a quantum state in which by simply reporting news about the election they influence its outcome.

Ergo, in the event that one side seems to be poised for landslide victory, if the media either reduces their coverage (due to a belief that the outcome is unchangeable) or actively reports a belief that the election is virtually resolved, it could easily be argued they are encouraging lower turnouts on both sides.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    I got up to about 3:30.
    If we want America to succeed.

To lead the world into a brighter tomorrow.

To pave the way for prosperity for all.

To dream of a better tomorrow in the face of great adversity.

We start with energy.

We lead America away from a precious, finite resource.

We would make the government stop propping up the oil companies with subsidies, making expensive energy cheap.

We would pass legislation that would stop the reckless burning of petrochemicals, saving them for live saving plastics.

If we want America to succeed, we must teach our citizens to be responsible citizens of our planet, aware of the delicate balance that is incredibly beneficial to human life.

We would move to cleaner sustainable sources of energy, solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, (nuclear), and biodiesel.

We would move toward sustainable harvesting of our planet's natural resources, and we would feed the world through advances in agricultural technology.

We would teach our children that wealthy men in positions of power will do anything they can to keep others away from their power.

We would abolish the tax cuts and deregulation that have allowed the rich to get richer while the poor get poorer to the detriment of our country's national debt.

We would empower small businesses and entrepenuers by standing up against anti-competitive corporations.

We would enable a new era of innovation by flooding our public schools and universities with funding, lifting up a new generation of scholars, inventors, and dreamers.

We would demand journalistic integrity, and hold those that are bought off by corporations and politicians accountable in the public eye.

If we want America to succeed, we would hold Investment Bankers accountable for the mortgage collapse, investigate, prosecute those responsible, and pass regulations to prevent Americans from losing their homes to the greed of Wall Street Fat Cats.

We would stand up to agribiz corporate giants, and tell them they cannot charge farmers for seeds they never planted, and that we are tired of deceptive marketing practices shoving foods down our throats that are slowly killing us.

We would teach everyone about unchained free markets leading to corporate monopolies and cartels, destroying any chance of innovation and driving prices for an inferior product up for everyone.

We would employ a new generation in trades based around clean technologies, that will not run out in the foreseeable future.

Every concern we would approach rationally and no crisis is insurmountable if we pool our collective resources.

Thoughts?

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    If that video doesn't get made and posted as a response on Youtube, I am going to be sad. That's good stuff so far.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I want to, but I'm afraid I'm not pretty enough for the camera, and I don't have any video editing skills, or camera equipment.

Was hoping for some collaboration here. I need a sad animal story where something we did to them adversely affected them in a real way. Also the rapid fire bullshit after that part was disorienting. I'll try to approach it again later if nobody else has any input. I just want to see this get done, fight fire with fire.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

We start with energy.

We lead America away from a precious, finite resource.

We would make the government stop propping up the oil companies with subsidies, making expensive energy cheap.

We would pass legislation that would stop the reckless burning of petrochemicals, saving them for live saving plastics.

If we want America to succeed, we must teach our citizens to be responsible citizens of our planet, aware of the delicate balance that is incredibly beneficial to human life.

We would move to cleaner sustainable sources of energy, solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, (nuclear), and biodiesel.

We would move toward sustainable harvesting of our planet's natural resources, and we would feed the world through advances in agricultural technology.

We would teach our children that wealthy men in positions of power will do anything they can to keep others away from their power.

We would abolish the tax cuts and deregulation that have allowed the rich to get richer while the poor get poorer to the detriment of our country's national debt.

We would empower small businesses and entrepenuers by standing up against anti-competitive corporations.

We would enable a new era of innovation by flooding our public schools and universities with funding, lifting up a new generation of scholars, inventors, and dreamers.

We would demand journalistic integrity, and hold those that are bought off by corporations and politicians accountable in the public eye.

If we want America to succeed, we would hold Investment Bankers accountable for the mortgage collapse, investigate, prosecute those responsible, and pass regulations to prevent Americans from losing their homes to the greed of Wall Street Fat Cats.

We would stand up to agribiz corporate giants, and tell them they cannot charge farmers for seeds they never planted, and that we are tired of deceptive marketing practices shoving foods down our throats that are slowly killing us.

We would teach everyone about unchained free markets leading to corporate monopolies and cartels, destroying any chance of innovation and driving prices for an inferior product up for everyone.

We would employ a new generation in trades based around clean technologies, that will not run out in the foreseeable future.

Every concern we would approach rationally and no crisis is insurmountable if we pool our collective resources.

Thoughts?

I'm a fan.

edited April 2012
    I want to, but I'm afraid I'm not pretty enough for the camera, and I don't have any video editing skills, or camera equipment.

Was hoping for some collaboration here. I need a sad animal story where something we did to them adversely affected them in a real way. Also the rapid fire bullshit after that part was disorienting. I'll try to approach it again later if nobody else has any input. I just want to see this get done, fight fire with fire.

Probably put in something about puppy mills.

Or those shrimp without eyes in the gulf coast, probably from the BP oil leak. But shrimp are ugly, and people love puppies. Except republicans, who are pro-puppy mill, anti-puppy.

Burtletoy on
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    If that video doesn't get made and posted as a response on Youtube, I am going to be sad. That's good stuff so far.

That's definitely awesome, almost exactly what I imagined. You just need to stay BANG on to their timing and make the points as close of possible to theirs but with a dash of actual truth which turns them instantly into good things. Oh, and get someone either much less annoying, or VASTLY more annoying to do it (comic effect).

So, Natalie Portman or the Monopoly Man :)

You don't even need that. You can use their EXACT story.

"We'd make sure to safeguard things that can't be replaced, the things that make this a beautiful country for future generations and we would consider the true cost of uncontrolled logging."

OWLS IN DANGER!

"We'd teach people that if you can never get something back, it's worth erring on the side of caution. That cheap paper isn't worth the sacrifice of Americas wilderness"

OWLS ACTUALLY BEING EATEN BY BIGGER OWLS

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Most Americans don't even know what the word means

Most Americans don't even know what the word means

What the GOP espouses isn't anything remotely exhibiting Free-Market Capitalism.

A more apt term would be something like, "Oligarchic Anarcho-Capitalism," where the only objective is too grow corporate revenues in any manner possible.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Upvoted.

Good luck, though, r/politics is basically about drugs and how much Obama sucks.

Salvation122 on

Upvoted.

Good luck, though, r/politics is basically about drugs and how much Obama sucks.

Yeah, after watching the guy that said "If I wanted America to fail I would elect either Paul or Romney." get six downvotes in 5 minutes I realized it might not be the best place. I don't really go in r/politics. I stick to netsec and malware mostly, mostly. I thought it'd be a more liberal place because not a single redditor I know are conservative, and most of them are all up on Obama's dick!

I'll continue working on it here later even if it fails to get traction there. I think it is definitely something worth doing.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The Romney campaign has been accused of being stuck in the 1950s. But it also seems mired in the 1980s -- it again invoked Cold War threats on Thursday, as it tried to attack the Obama administration on foreign policy.

Romney and his surrogates have revealed an ongoing Cold War fixation. Former Reagan Defense Secretary John Lehman and former Bush administration Ambassador Pierre Prosper, on Thursday derailed Romney messaging in a conference call with reporters by raising the specter of the "Soviet Union" and slamming Obama for not protecting Czechoslovakia -- a country that was peacefully dissolved in 1993 and now exists as the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    I, for one, am thoroughly disgusted at Obama's refusal to intervene against Nazi Germany in Poland.

We start with energy.

We lead America away from a precious, finite, foreign resource.

We would pass legislation that would stop the reckless burning of petrochemicals, keeping/preserving saving them for live saving plastics and fertilizers.

If we want America to succeed, we must teach our citizens to be responsible citizens stewards of our planet, aware of the delicate balance that is incredibly beneficial to human life.

Thoughts?

A few minor changes

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Personally, I'm shocked that schools are no long practicing the life-saving hide-under-your-desk-during-Red-nuclear-strikes technique. More like "No Child Left Alive"!

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Obama seems blind to the threat of Austria-Hungary.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I, for one, am thoroughly disgusted at Obama's refusal to intervene against Nazi Germany in Poland.

Forget them, what about this Boxer Rebellion I heard of in heathen China? They're kicking all the Christians out! We need the Chinese to make our cheap shit, but they have to listen to good Christian folk to know what the hell they're doing!

Shadowen on
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    People have been screaming for years about building a wall at the border. Personally, I think ignoring the threat that the Huns pose really emphasizes just how out of touch Obummer is.

TheCanMan on
    And where was Obama when brave senators like Davy Crockett were giving up their lives to keep Texas out of Mexican hands?

Probably at his mosque, eating dogs. Again.

What does Obama plan to do about the invasion fleet being massed by spain to invade the UK? On his watch he has allowed Europe to descend into a squabbling lair of despots answering to a militant pope! Can we really allow 4 more years of inaction over the inquisition?

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    And what of the neopolitan disease ravaging Naples? What of King Charles II's imperialist dreams of conquest and the Borgia Pope's (that Spanish bastard) laying down before him? Americans need to know.

Burtletoy wrote: »

We start with energy.

We lead America away from a precious, finite, foreign resource.

We would pass legislation that would stop the reckless burning of petrochemicals, keeping/preserving saving them for live saving plastics and fertilizers.

If we want America to succeed, we must teach our citizens to be responsible citizens stewards of our planet, aware of the delicate balance that is incredibly beneficial to human life.

Thoughts?

A few minor changes

Changes updated to Reddit copy, thanks.

• RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Your stories are all far too historically accurate to capture the true essence of the GOP smear machine. You need something like:

And where was Obama when the Japanese bombed pearl harbor, the state he is "supposedly" from? Probably taking pictures of the planes as they flew over China before dropping bombs on the U.S. Manchurian Candidate indeed.

Roz on
    Shadowen wrote: »
    And what of the neopolitan disease ravaging Naples? What of King Charles II's imperialist dreams of conquest and the Borgia Pope's (that Spanish bastard) laying down before him? Americans need to know.

Mitt Romney -

America faces no greater threat today than the past, as President I pledge to put an end to yesterday! To order our generals to engage in multiple theaters across the past and prevent state funded past-terrorists from having ideas and concepts which threaten American liberty today. Rogue states such as the Holy Roman Empire, Greater Norway, and the Mongolian Empire have too long been a thorn in America's side while hiding behind the so called 'fundamental laws' of cause and effect and entropy. I say that fundamentalism has been a problem for too long, and that as a Christian nation we cannot allow the laws of science to prevent us acting on our best moral principles!

This discussion has been closed.