As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Are three word names possible? Because, I have ideas.

Think I've seen beta videos with people having a space between each letter.

Which made me facepalm so hard.

• KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    eobet wrote: »
    So, when the game is finally released, everyone will mad rush to create characters with the names they want?

I will, yeah

keep in mind that gw2 doesn't have the Two Word Minimum requirement for names, so one word names are all available

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • charrbroiledcharrbroiled 'dis guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There's a size comparison chart, here you go

http://secretagentcat.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/height-chart.jpg

charrbroiled on
    4d93c4f1d9d6247c.png
    Guild Wars 2: Tyreh, asura Warrior
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    24 24 hours to goooo. I want to be sedated.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    So, when the game is finally released, everyone will mad rush to create characters with the names they want?

I will, yeah

keep in mind that gw2 doesn't have the Two Word Minimum requirement for names, so one word names are all available

Yes

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Draygo wrote: »
    i will be avoiding as much youtube as possible after the event. I want there to be things for me to discover on my own in the first few zones.

That's one reason im kinda happy that I think imma be Sylvari... I don't have to worry about spoiling anything this weekend!

Still need to see a size comparison of Sylvari to Human....

WaM! Is such a thing in existance?

Sylvari NPCs are a thing, you just can't play a Sylvari yet. So go up to one as a human and size em both up. Simple.

23 h 44 min 10 secs...

488W936.png
  • MarsloMarslo is, the dirty frenchmen MontrealRegistered User regular
    I don't want a pickle
    Just want to ride on my charr - sickle
    And I don't want a tickle
    'Cause I'd rather ride on my charr - sickle

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    i will be avoiding as much youtube as possible after the event. I want there to be things for me to discover on my own in the first few zones.

That's one reason im kinda happy that I think imma be Sylvari... I don't have to worry about spoiling anything this weekend!

Sylvari NPCs are a thing, you just can't play a Sylvari yet. So go up to one as a human and size em both up. Simple.

23 h 44 min 10 secs...

Ooooh, I never thought about that! Excellent idea!

As for the chart, I'm assuming that would just be a medium height of each race? Makes sylvari look depressingly tiny. I need to see how a max height sylvari matches up to an average human

I will, yeah

Yes

yesssssssss

mrsatansig.png
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    There's a size comparison chart, here you go

http://secretagentcat.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/height-chart.jpg

Further cementing the fact that charr are the best race. Just look how tall they are!

23 hours, 27 minutes.

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular

23 h 44 min 10 secs...

As for the chart, I'm assuming that would just be a medium height of each race? Makes sylvari look depressingly tiny. I need to see how a max height sylvari matches up to an average human

That chart is not exact. But I think sylvari are meant to be a bit shorter than humans.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    I may need to take an elephant tranqualizer tonight.

Looking forward to Wuvwuv tomorrow.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Enig wrote: »

23 h 44 min 10 secs...

That chart is not exact. But I think sylvari are meant to be a bit shorter than humans.

Yea I know that. But I'm hoping that if I max the sylvari height slider it will be about where a normal height human would be.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I may need to take an elephant tranqualizer tonight.

Looking forward to Wuvwuv tomorrow.

I'll be self-medicating with a large amount of vodka and energy drink whilst grinding out zkeys. (Note to self: stop at the liquor store and supermarket on the way home tonight.)

Sleep is for the weak.

26904.png
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    According to the physical description in the wiki, charr are the height of one-and-a-half humans on average.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    In Tyria all things are measured in # of humans

PSN: Scotty85
  • AlxHelAlxHel Registered User regular
    Hi guys, I'm from the Euro side of things....and quite new....as the NDA is lifted do we know if we can take screenshots or is it only videos?

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    warder808 wrote: »
    I'm not embargoed, so I am one of only about 30 non-ANet employees who can say, "I thought Lion's Arch was the best when those other lousy players weren't in it!"

Except that's not true, it was kind of lonely being there all by myself. Beautiful and super-awesome-looking, but lonely. ;)

I moved the day before I visited ANet last week, and it took three techs to get my phone/DSL line working. Thus I have just now posted my Guild Wars 2 impression. Something to read while y'all are downloading the client! http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2012/042512b.html

I will soon be posting the information I got from having a lore-related chat with Jeff Grubb, who is a very cool guy. I'll be sure to link that once it's up, since it's probably of more interest to those of who you have been living and breathing Guild Wars 2 info.

Get any of the questions we asked answered by Anet folks?

I did! I have videos of the Q&A sessions to edit and post, but let me check my notes and answer some for you now:

1. (Do conditions go away when downed?) I think conditions go away when you're downed judging from my gameplay experience, but don't quote me on that. We can all test that ourselves soon!

2. (Incentives for small guilds in PvP?) The way WvWvW works is set up just fine for small guilds. There are lots of smaller objectives to capture, and small groups can also join up with a squad leader and get leadership from larger guilds that way.

3. (Keeping players on original home servers rather than crowding top Wuvwuv servers?) Right now, the team thinks that the monetary charge to change home servers is sufficient deterrent to keep people from switching servers too often. They don't know for sure how it will all shake out until they go live, though, so they'll be keeping an eye on things.

4. (Is there an easy skill/trait loadout system like GW?) There isn't a build save/load system because of how differently skill builds work in GW2.

5. (Can you build a non-wuvwuv PvP team out of people from multiple home servers?) Not right now, but they think that's a good idea! :)

I think that's most of the questions people asked. Please feel free to ask me anything more about my experiences with the studio or the game, we had a lot of access to the devs during the weekend, so I learned a lot of cool info tidbits.

WaM: The studio is totally boss. I wrote a bit about it in my Preview Weekend Blog. Also, your tats are cool. :)

DaemonSadi: I've been reading RPGamer since '99 or so, but have only worked for them for about 2.5 years. I have sadly not made it out to E3 yet. Since I'm East Coast I tend to cover things like Toronto FanExpo and PAX East.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

23 h 44 min 10 secs...

There's certainly overlap in the human and sylvari height measurements. I made a minimum-height human and though I didn't exactly take out a measuring stick, I think most of the sylvari NPCs in Lion's Arch were taller than she was.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    AlxHel wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm from the Euro side of things....and quite new....as the NDA is lifted do we know if we can take screenshots or is it only videos?

Starting this weekend it is completely open. You can talk about it, take screenshots, videos, etc.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png

23 h 44 min 10 secs...

There's certainly overlap in the human and sylvari height measurements. I made a minimum-height human and though I didn't exactly take out a measuring stick, I think most of the sylvari NPCs in Lion's Arch were taller than she was.

WOOHOO!!!!

This is just what I needed to hear.

Thanks!

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So guys.

EcZtC.jpg

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    It's been far too long since that was posted.

22 hours, 38 minutes. :rotate:

I'm really curious to see how dodging works first-hand. Hoping that it isn't just some dice roll, and that positioning actually does matter. I'm really hoping for an MMO with combat closer to Dark Souls than World of Warcraft.

mrsatansig.png
    edited April 2012
    I'm really curious to see how dodging works first-hand. Hoping that it isn't just some dice roll, and that positioning actually does matter. I'm really hoping for an MMO with combat closer to Dark Souls than World of Warcraft.

How would it be a dice roll?

If an attack connects with you and you are not currently dodging >> It hits
    If the attack doesn't connect OR it connects while you are mid roll >> it misses

No dice roll here!

DemonStacey on
    edited April 2012
    From what I've heard I am a bit skeptical of Tera doing well in a western market.

There are two components to the dodging. The first is immunity to damage during the roll, and the second is the physical movement. Both of these things are very useful and not random. It is down to the player to make the best use of dodge.

You can also "dodge" by physically moving out of the way or using a mobility skill. Melee attacks will miss if you move out of the arc of the weapon, and projectiles have a true flight path which can be avoided.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    That is good to hear. I wasn't sure if it was like other MMOs where you'd activate a certain ability, and there's a 50% change to dodge or something weak like that.

I have been pretty far out of the loop when it comes to Guild Wars 2 stuff over the past year.

mrsatansig.png
    edited April 2012
    That is good to hear. I wasn't sure if it was like other MMOs where you'd activate a certain ability, and there's a 50% change to dodge or something weak like that.

I have been pretty far out of the loop when it comes to Guild Wars 2 stuff over the past year.

Yea wow, nothing like that. I mean, you can dodge attacks in this simply by moving your character. Like regular physical attacks. If you move away from the swing they miss.

DemonStacey on
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    so you double tap movement keys to dodge but i hear talk of binding it as well - does that mean you dodge in the direction you are currently moving when you press another key?

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
    Louie wrote: »
    so you double tap movement keys to dodge but i hear talk of binding it as well - does that mean you dodge in the direction you are currently moving when you press another key?

Yeah, that is my understanding.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    2. (Incentives for small guilds in PvP?) The way WvWvW works is set up just fine for small guilds. There are lots of smaller objectives to capture, and small groups can also join up with a squad leader and get leadership from larger guilds that way.

So, the answer is no, there's not really much incentive to keep guilds from merging as much as possible.
    5. (Can you build a non-wuvwuv PvP team out of people from multiple home servers?) Not right now, but they think that's a good idea! :)

Frankly, this kind of sucks. The "everyone has access to same servers" thing seemed so great. Hopefully they fix this quickly.

What is this I don't even.
    I completely disagree on considering that to be a 'no' for Question #2, it is in fact a great big YES. The smaller objectives are very important in wuvwuv, if you cut off the enemies supplies they will get 'starved' out by not being able to even repair the door.

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    So tomorrow, the wall of boners will finally find release.

I think we're going to need a mop.

Thought I would repost this guide. Some obvious points but a useful read.

http://www.killtenrats.com/2012/04/18/10-helpful-hints-for-the-guild-wars-2-beta-weekend-event/

camo_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

So, the answer is no, there's not really much incentive to keep guilds from merging as much as possible.

Why would they have incentives for small guilds? I think the incentive is more player-oriented. Many people will prefer to be in a smaller tightly-knit group than a large zerg guild.

The important thing is that small guilds can still participate in the territory aspect of WvW by owning smaller things like towers/camps. Obviously a larger group of people are going to accomplish more just because of numbers, but at least smaller guilds can have objectives.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Will projectile attacks track target movement and always hit unless you dodge?

camo_sig.png
    You can zig zag out of the way of projectiles, but I think it depends on distance.

edited April 2012

No. Projectile attacks have a trajectory at the time of firing and if the target moves, or someone else steps in the way, they will miss their target.

Edit: Environmental objects will also block projectiles, of course.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png

I'm curious about this too. It seems like there has to be some sort of aim assist or projectile tracking or whatever you want to call it. Since there's no way to lead shots with a ranged weapon, then it would be incredibly easy to avoid ranged damage while you close in by just zig-zagging around. Though maybe the projectile's hitbox is big enough so that this isn't feasible. I'm sure they've already thought of this and accounted for it, so I'm not really worried. Curious how it works though.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    My question about small guilds would be will the rate of advancement in the influence stuff be remotely decent if your guild isn't huge. I doubt it, but oh well, it's to be expected.

This discussion has been closed.