As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• khainkhain Registered User regular
    Radiance doesn't stack unless dota 2 changed it. Illusion bash is weird on dota but effectively they can't and I don't think they can crit either.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    illusions crit but the number displayed isn't the actual amount of damage dealt - the crit pop up will show 'full' damage, as if you were hit by a non-illusion, but will deal damage appropriate to how much the illusion actually deals.

also mana burn still works on pl images - it works for all melee images

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    Gotta play some outworld destroyer when phantom comes and destroy all those illusions super fast

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I need to find some other characters to play in real games than Veno...he's the only one I feel comfortable playing against real players. Any suggestions for some other good pushers? I've played Shadow Shaman, and enjoy him as well, so I'll probably start playing him more.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Watching Na'vi vs M5 in the Star Series finals...

Are Na'vi even human? Their team fight skills leave my jaw on the floor, and that Shadow Demon jungle was redonkulous.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I need to find some other characters to play in real games than Veno...he's the only one I feel comfortable playing against real players. Any suggestions for some other good pushers? I've played Shadow Shaman, and enjoy him as well, so I'll probably start playing him more.

I've been pushing pretty well with Nature's Prophet.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Watching Na'vi vs M5 in the Star Series finals...

Are Na'vi even human? Their team fight skills leave my jaw on the floor, and that Shadow Demon jungle was redonkulous.

No, pretty sure they'd be the first cyborgs to pass a Turing test.

Lone Druid ban from M5...why? He's been doing horribly in pro games in the past couple weeks.

Although, I feel like that's because teams keep doing weird builds on him where he puts boots and orb of venom on the bear, and then builds a hood/pipe on lone druid...lolwut? Shouldn't you be building straight up damage items on him, like Radiance on the bear and then something like Butterfly on Lone Druid?

edited April 2012
    In response to Gnome, I really like Shadow Shaman, but I also love Pollywog Priest in HoN (his counterpart). I will say, though, that I typically do better with SS than Priest - not sure why. Though she's not a pusher, I've been having a lot of luck with CM, too. CM + Riki lane is sooooo awesome.

And speaking of Shaman, Dendi just picked him in the current match:

Should be very fun to watch. :)

Undead Monkey on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    M5...just picked Clinkz...woogijawha?

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    M5...just picked Clinkz...woogijawha?

My first instinct was "well Navi picked Morphling, I wonder if Clinkz can ult Morph's double" but I'm just as dumbfounded as you are.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    I am not quite sure why he makes such a good Radiance carrier though. I suppose you can more easily keep your enemies in the aura by spreading out your illusions, but the bonus damage feels like a waste considering it does nothing for his illusions. Would a more attack speed/pure stat build not be more powerful for pushing and focus damage?

• FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    I LOVE Clinkz and rock as him.

He is super duper fast at getting places. Once you get a lil farm, his ganks are great with his max searing arrow and a point or 2 in Q

When he gets Orchid, even better at finding people all alone and wrecking them.

I wonder why both DotA (and, consequently, Dota 2) and HoN have such an aversion to strength-based female heroes? I'm not crying for sex equality, or anything, I just find it odd.

• SkabSkab Registered User regular
    I wonder why both DotA (and, consequently, Dota 2) and HoN have such an aversion to strength-based female heroes? I'm not crying for sex equality, or anything, I just find it odd.

Well, Dota 1 was limited by models available. Not that many female units in WC3. Don't know about Hon, though.

steam_sig.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

I know when I think of a female, the first thing I think of is a thin, agile, attractive girl (Arianny Celeste <3). The female barbarian from Diablo 3 isn't exactly next on that list either. There probably is some small sexism involved considering the hero designers are mostly male. Comes with the territory I guess.

HoN does have a female Hammerstorm though. I AM THE GINGER AVENGER! I don't even use regular Hammerstorm anymore.

KoopahTroopah on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    Would be totes neat for some representation of body types that aren't just thin waisted big boobed ladies but this is the fantasy genre soooo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    I know when I think of a female, the first thing I think of is a thin, agile, attractive girl (Arianny Celeste <3). The female barbarian from Diablo 3 isn't exactly next on that list either. There probably is some small sexism involved considering the hero designers are mostly male. Comes with the territory I guess.

HoN does have a female Hammerstorm though. I AM THE GINGER AVENGER! I don't even use regular Hammerstorm anymore.
    Would be totes neat for some representation of body types that aren't just thin waisted big boobed ladies but this is the fantasy genre soooo

That's fair, and I certainly think of human females the same way. But since this is a fantasy game, though, there are no limitations on race. When you have a hero who is a giant scorpion, anything is possible.

There is certainly no reason why, say, Alchemist couldn't have been a female gnome riding an ogre, or C-Phant couldn't have been a female elephant. It all just smacks of lack of imagination on part of the developers.

Vic wrote: »
    I guess the excuse is that they did not want to genderswitch the heroes from regular DotA, and the Warcraft universe they are taken from is the same kind of generic sexist fantasy that most other games of the genre take place in.

Fair enough. I guess we'll just have to see what direction the new heroes (after porting from regular DotA) take.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    I guess the excuse is that they did not want to genderswitch the heroes from regular DotA, and the Warcraft universe they are taken from is the same kind of generic sexist fantasy that most other games of the genre take place in.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    We could always hope it'll be different for heroes added after they're done porting all the old ones.

Yeah, I agree with Peewi and Vic. I think its just remnants from the past and going forward designs will be really neat not only mechanically, but in terms of "flavor"

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular

Leshrac's Diabolic Edict eats towers
    Defiler's ult is great against towers
    Furion's creeps.
    Chen and Enchant creeps from the jungle
    Warlock's ult.

Page- wrote: »
    As Skab said, the main reason that dota doesn't have female strength heroes is that wc3 lacks character models. It's been like that for a long while now. So everyone just assumed Pudge was a girl and that was that.

As for PL and his radiance, it's pretty much the same reason every hero gets a radiance: it makes him a fearsome pusher and fucks up the other team's initiation. He already has one of the best single target nukes in the game, but with radiance it actually does more damage and can be used to push, or he can throw it uphill and prevent the entire enemy team from using their blink daggers, or throw it at an enemy he's chasing to do the same. It changes him from a pretty good pusher into an amazing pusher. He can still get a diffusal, and since he doesn't need the manta as well he can go straight into a heart. Once he gets a radiance, diffusal, and heart he's basically unstoppable.

So does he get picked in competitive games, or is he just a pubmurder hero?

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    As Skab said, the main reason that dota doesn't have female strength heroes is that wc3 lacks character models. It's been like that for a long while now. So everyone just assumed Pudge was a girl and that was that.

As for PL and his radiance, it's pretty much the same reason every hero gets a radiance: it makes him a fearsome pusher and fucks up the other team's initiation. He already has one of the best single target nukes in the game, but with radiance it actually does more damage and can be used to push, or he can throw it uphill and prevent the entire enemy team from using their blink daggers, or throw it at an enemy he's chasing to do the same. It changes him from a pretty good pusher into an amazing pusher. He can still get a diffusal, and since he doesn't need the manta as well he can go straight into a heart. Once he gets a radiance, diffusal, and heart he's basically unstoppable.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    valiance wrote: »

Defiler's Death Prophet's ult is great against towers
    Furion's creeps.
    Warlock's ult.

Fixed a HoN name >.>

Lycan and Lone Druid are also good pushers, as well as broodmother with her spiders/insatiable hunger and enigma with his conversions. Beastmaster helps mid game pushes with his aura.

No he does not get picked in competitive games. He's a melee carry with minimal lane presence that needs 45 minutes of straight farm to do anything and is still easy to counter with aoe, which ever team will have.

However, he does have a lot of really strong dual lane combinations. A PL-KOTL lane is super obnoxious, and it looks like KOTL might get added soon.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    valiance wrote: »

Defiler's Death Prophet's ult is great against towers
    Furion's creeps.
    Warlock's ult.

Fixed a HoN name >.>

Lycan and Lone Druid are also good pushers, as well as broodmother with her spiders/insatiable hunger and enigma with his conversions. Beastmaster helps mid game pushes with his aura.

Beastmaster has his axes and hawk too: the former decimates creepwaves, and the hawk is very useful for scouting enemies coming to prevent the push. Sand King can also do a competent pushing job with his caustic finale, but in his case you'll probably use him as a counter-pusher because a) said caustic finale wrecks gigantic creepwaves caused by Broodmother and Nature's Profit, and b) his blink-ult initiation is fucking devastating (LoL comparison, think fiddlesticks' ult but less CAWCAW and more murder).

I'm on a Sand King phase if people didn't notice. :D

No he does not get picked in competitive games. He's a melee carry with minimal lane presence that needs 45 minutes of straight farm to do anything and is still easy to counter with aoe, which ever team will have.

However, he does have a lot of really strong dual lane combinations. A PL-KOTL lane is super obnoxious, and it looks like KOTL might get added soon.

the days of zsmj hyper farm pl are long gone, sadly. although rice time medusa got real boring real fast

• nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular

the days of zsmj hyper farm pl are long gone, sadly. although rice time medusa got real boring real fast

shut up, undies

i

will

be

the

next

zsmj

19ZUtIw.png
    please dont take this from me

19ZUtIw.png
    i am the next zsmj

flexin my 16/0 veno game

yeah i bought a heart all at once

and it was good

ok thats p good i GUESS

19ZUtIw.png
    all about sunstrike dunks though

buyback after dying to faceless void put first point in exort of the game invoke triple exort blind dunk him in fog of war

8-)

19ZUtIw.png
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Where the hell is the patch tonight

steam_sig.png
    nealcm wrote: »
    all about sunstrike dunks though

buyback after dying to faceless void put first point in exort of the game invoke triple exort blind dunk him in fog of war

8-)

straight jordans

Don't worry. Naga actually does get picked in competitive games (pinoy!) and is cooler than PL and Medusa combined.

stream
    i admit song of the siren seems to be a cool as hell ultimate and makes for some funny shenanigans

but all i want to do is rush radiance on every character, page

all i want to do is play spectre and phantom lancer

19ZUtIw.png
    Naga is a good radiance carrier and can farm super fast. But also has huge lane presence and counters a lot of really popular heroes.

stream
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Death Prophet with 20 stacked Bloodstone and Heart of Tarasque is amusing.

I had more health than our Pudge.

MrGrimoire on
  • SagaxusSagaxus Registered User regular
    Naga tells BKB carries to fuck off. She also tells their team to fuck off. Really she tells a lot of things to fuck off.

a4i9N.png