As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Robots in Disguise (Transformers 4! Coming June 29th 2014)

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    We live in a world where Seltzer and Friedberg continue to make movies

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Why don't they change the writing team on a movie that made over a billion dollars worldwide in ticket sales? That truly is a mystery.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Why don't they change the writing team on a movie that made over a billion dollars worldwide in ticket sales? That truly is a mystery.

But... they already did.

The team in 1 and the team for 3 are different.

Of course, the problem is Bay. Shuffling writers is just moving deck chairs on the Hindenburg.

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    the problems are many

truly awful scripts

a director with the brain of a 5 year old

hideous designs

mediocre acting

etc

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    the problems are many

truly awful scripts

a director with the brain of a 5 year old

hideous designs

mediocre acting

etc

and yet, the movies continue to make farcical amounts of money

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    because they are summer movies based on a popular franchise

the quality doesn't matter as long as it's a summer action movie with a popular franchise

the quality has nothing to do with the success of the movies

why mess with a formula that makes the studio that much money?

0BnD8l3.gif
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah, pretty much.

There is zero reason to mess with the formula, from a business perspective.

CYpGAPn.png
    because racism isn't cool

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

the quality doesn't matter as long as it's a summer action movie with a popular franchise

I unno.

I mean, yes. They're bad. But for some reason unknown to man, Bay makes money hand over fist despite making movies that are

1) Mostly incredibly bad

2) Longer than some presidential administrations

I mean, there have been movies based on stuff like Transformers that have done a lot less well.

I suspect evil wizardry.

yeah, I know there is no incentive to change the formula

i would honestly not expect them to

It just makes me sad to see true incompetence get rewarded

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/categories/social-entropy-
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

I unno.

I mean, yes. They're bad. But for some reason unknown to man, Bay makes money hand over fist despite making movies that are

1) Mostly incredibly bad

2) Longer than some presidential administrations

I mean, there have been movies based on stuff like Transformers that have done a lot less well.

I suspect evil wizardry.
    It is because the blend of dumb humor and action and military gung ho attitude appeals to the American public

everyone on this forum isn't really an average movie goer

we are all nerds

I definitely think the Transformers movies are not great, but there are a lot of people that love them.

CYpGAPn.png
    people that love the transformers movies are bad people

and stupid as well

I fervently believe this

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Eh, I wouldn't go as far as saying those who enjoy the movies are bad people, but rather they don't share the same type of humor as me.

I was talking to a friend last night who LOVES Family Guy, but hates stuff like Community and Parks and Rec. I'm not going to spend time trying to convince her she's wrong, nor am I going to think of her as a bad person for liking it.

That being said, the racism in TF2 is blatant and if people agree with it, then they're bad people, but if they like the pot jokes, testicle humor, and dog humping then more power to them.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    people who like robots that use the ugliest stereotypes about black people are bad

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Eh, I wouldn't go as far as saying those who enjoy the movies are bad people, but rather they don't share the same type of humor as me.

I was talking to a friend last night who LOVES Family Guy, but hates stuff like Community and Parks and Rec. I'm not going to spend time trying to convince her she's wrong, nor am I going to think of her as a bad person for liking it.

That being said, the racism in TF2 is blatant and if people agree with it, then they're bad people, but if they like the pot jokes, testicle humor, and dog humping then more power to them.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the first movie as a decent, fun film about giant robots killing each other.

The second one dragged too much for me to ever want to see it again.

Never saw the third one, I should probably check the movie channels to see if it's there yet.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Cybertron_Satellite
    The promotion is denoted by large Matrix of Leadership-shaped in-store displays, which run a video on the history of Transformers and are decorated by portraits of the franchise's great leaders: Generation 1 Optimus Prime, Rodimus Prime, Optimus Primal, Unicron Trilogy Optimus Prime, Animated Optimus Prime, live-action movie Optimus Prime, Prime Optimus Prime, and in the eighth and final slot, that region's Neighborhood Commander.
    (Meanwhile, Robots in Disguise Optimus Prime is weeping in a corner.)
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    The third one is the best of the three, if you can qualify any of them. Two was horrible, the only redeeming part being the forest fight. I find the third one to be mindlessly entertaining, much like the GI Joe movie. I'm not paying attention to any of the human crap anyway, and the last hour of DOTM has some genuinely good action beats.

Optimus is still a psychopath, but at least he has something resembling a personality, which none of the other Autobots can say.

Two was the worst movie I've ever seen

nonsense plot

racist twin robots

and the new yorker character, ugh

"We can't decide if we want him to be an offensive stereotype of a new york Jew, an italian-American, or a person from the middle east!"

"Make him all 3!"

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Really? The worst movie you've ever seen? Ever?

Also, self-proclaimed bad people because while I won't get close to claiming that the Transformers movies were well-written, artistic, cinematic masterpieces, they are fine as non-serious summer blockbusters and a far cry from the absolute dog shit they get treated like.

Fisticuffs, good sir.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
    have you seen wanted, by chance

or avatar

0BnD8l3.gif
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Really? The worst movie you've ever seen? Ever?

Yup

Unlike some other bad films I've seen, it doesn't have the luxury of "well, I guess they did what they could with their budget"

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Bay's first movie works. It's not great, but it's an acceptable action flick.

The others made a profit of like 400% on the initial investment and they were still a waste of money.

Dichotomy wrote: »

or avatar

I've seen 15 minutes of avatar

avatar was certainly more mediocre and inept

but it was more of an inoffensive blandness, like oatmeal

RoTF was like chugging vinegar.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dichotomy wrote: »

or avatar

But at least it wasn't a horrible sequel to a great film.

edit: I was going to make an actual argument, but then I realized how dumb a comparison this is.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    people that love the transformers movies are bad people

and stupid as well

I fervently believe this

f...fuck you buddy

I liked the fights and also the designs

but not much else really

I can still watch and enjoy the movies though, dumb as they are

2x39jD4.jpg
    I was just exaggerating

I don't actually believe people who like the movies are bad and stupid

there is a certain amount of fun to the films, even if they aren't good

but I DO believe that people who like Skids and Mudflap are bad.

edited April 2012
    Oh, well I can get behind that

you are good people, butler for life number one

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
    djBse.jpg
    love that top right panel

Middle left panel, are those supposed to be the feet of the robot getting blasted

2x39jD4.jpg
    Middle left, an autobot is being ripped in half

there's a decepticon behind him, holding his upper body, while a decepticon in vehicle mode has a grip on his lower half

oh I see it now, they're really close in color and I missed the head of the decepticon the first time

what comic is that from

2x39jD4.jpg
    wreck and rule you spawn of a glitch

wreck and rule
    Last Stand of the Wreckers

Oh okay, I was wondering because I thought they'd stopped hitting each other along party lines in the recent comics

2x39jD4.jpg
    I was just exaggerating

I don't actually believe people who like the movies are bad and stupid

there is a certain amount of fun to the films, even if they aren't good

but I DO believe that people who like Skids and Mudflap are bad.

Fair enough. They are terrible incarnate.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    last stand is really hard to read for me

so many autobots dying in horrible ways

Just finished RiD #3 & #4
    Yeah, Jazz has gone Uber-dick. Also, Arcee's lost it too ... is same continuity as Spotlight: Arcee, because that would make sense

This series makes me want toys of everyone's Cybetronian forms. It's practically unfair.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    Just finished RiD #3 & #4
    Yeah, Jazz has gone Uber-dick. Also, Arcee's lost it too ... is same continuity as Spotlight: Arcee, because that would make sense

This series makes me want toys of everyone's Cybetronian forms. It's practically unfair.

Prowl

Not jazz

Agreed re toys
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Oh okay, I was wondering because I thought they'd stopped hitting each other along party lines in the recent comics

Still some of it

Wars end

Hate continues

yeeaahhhh the violence and particularly the focus on dismemberment in last stand of the wreckers makes me really uncomfortable

like not even weirdo on the bus uncomfortable, I'm talkin' straight-up squeamish sick to my stomach this-is-Wrong-and-I-don't-like-it uncomfortable

0BnD8l3.gif
This discussion has been closed.