As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

National Association for Zero Intolerance [30 Rock]

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I remember they almost weren't allowed to include Andy Dick in the opening credits for Newsradio.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I somehow doubt that a bunch of middle aged writers are going to be aware of Penny Arcade's existence.

Lh96QHG.png
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Speaking as a writer approaching middle age, I take offense to that. :P

Had News Radio not included Andy Dick, it may have been a better show. "Buttah-FOO-co. FOO-co."

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Dick Wolf was definitely just a reference to Law & Order. And there are most likely young writers on the 30 Rock staff so I wouldn't pin their lack of Penny Arcade awareness on age.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I demand, and deserve, more Hazel Wassername.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • either,oreither,or Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    What has happened to 30 Rock? It doesn't feel like the show it was a year ago any more let alone during the first few seasons. It's not terrible and there are far worse things to watch but it's just so crushingly inane now - the show opening with Liz listing her greatest flaw as her humility on some company test? Ugh.. Tonights episode would have been a really good chance to develop Jenna's character but she was back where she started by the end of the episode; it will be interesting to see if they go anywhere with Pete and Jack's storyline but I imagine that that will have all been reset by next week too. It's like every character has been replaced by their wacky alternate universe counterpart, and the meta-humour now just seems to be the show pointing out how ridiculous it has become (listing the unbelievable things attributed to the teenage Pete for example). I don't know whether I want to see the show come back next year and have the opportunity to go out on a high note or for NBC to just take it out back and shoot it now.

either,or on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS friend code: 4811-7214-5053
    Yeah, last night's ep and the even the one before it I thought were pretty bad. I thought this season started off pretty damn good but it's trailed off hard the past few weeks.

And nothing they've done the past couple seasons comes anywhere close to the absolute brilliance that is, say, Season 3.

It's sad, but the show may not have much left.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    They've done some good stuff this season, but that last episode just felt like filler. I found myself surfing the net about halfway through. The one funny joke was Pete unde the training dummy "it's the alpha". Terrible episode.

Tracy called Jenna "Jane" in that hospital scene, right? I'm not crazy?

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    gundam470 wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    You guys, I'm watching some of 30 Rock on Netflix.

Why is Season 3 so crazy, stupid good? So. Good.

Because of Salma Hayek's boobs.

o_o

I just found a reason to watch a season of 30 Rock.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    either,or wrote: »
    What has happened to 30 Rock?

I think pretty much every show drops off after 2 or 3 seasons. 30 Rock probably beat the average in that regard.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
    Season 3 of 30 Rock is seriously amazing. But yeah, Hayek's boobs are like woah.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    gundam470 wrote: »
    Season 3 of 30 Rock is seriously amazing. But yeah, Hayek's boobs are like woah.

Probably my favorite exchange in 30 Rock:
    Salma's character is about to tell Liz a secret:

Liz (trying to guess)- "You're a man?"
    Salma- "Seriously? Do you want to see me naked?"
    Liz- "...kinda."

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Yes, he did. Right after the line, "I've never made a mistake, so I don't know what that feels like."

Intentional.

• SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I still thing 30 Rock's one of the best comedies on TV right now (which might not be saying a whole lot). Yes it's fallen in quality from it's peak, but they still churn out the occasional great episode (like the latest one). I mean when you look at the drop in quality of something like The Office, the drop in 30 Rock isn't even close to that.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    guys, right near the end of this last episode
    [talking about Liz having kids]

Jack: This isn't a choice, Lemon
    Liz: Ugh! You are being so trans-vaginal right now!

amazing

Joolander on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    30 Rock is still good IMO.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Back in MY day, sitcoms weren't funny. We'd gather around the old black-and-white and watch Andy Griffith not because we enjoyed it, but because it was American. And it toughened us up!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Back in MY day, televisions weren't made to entertain people. They were built to house depleted uranium rods and let off excess radiation from nuclear power plants. And we watch TV because we mined that uranium by clawing deep down into the earth with our bare hands to get to the radioactive ore. Then we'd break down the different minerals and metals by chewing the ore with our gums, because we didn't have teeth since we were still infants.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Back in MY day, televisions weren't made to entertain people. They were built to house depleted uranium rods and let off excess radiation from nuclear power plants. And we watch TV because we mined that uranium by clawing deep down into the earth with our bare hands to get to the radioactive ore. Then we'd break down the different minerals and metals by chewing the ore with our gums, because we didn't have teeth since they broke after all the Bazooka Joe.

Taramoor wrote: »

Yes, he did. Right after the line, "I've never made a mistake, so I don't know what that feels like."

Intentional.

I figured it was intentional because of the way he overenunciated it.

But I also entertained the possibility that I had gone mad.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I just started watching this show. I finished marathoning Parks & Rec up to current and decided I'd stay on board the NBC train for a bit and start watching 30 Rock. I've heard its good, I loved Tina Fey on SNL, and Tracy Morgan is a nice perk too, so I figured why not.

I'm 4 episodes in so far, and its a bit weird. I'm enjoying it well enough, I guess. However, for being an ensemble show, I find it strange that so much of the ensemble are barely in it at all. It feels more like the Tina, Alec, and Tracy show, with a bunch of nobody's as background filler. Ensemble seems to be the genre of sitcoms I watch the most (HIMYM, Big Bang, Community, P&R, New Girl), but for some reason 30 Rock feels really different to me. It doesn't really feel like an ensemble cast.

The entire writing staff feels like they should be important. But thus far, they have been marginalized and they are all so kooky that I don't know how interested I even am in seeing them developed.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Are you starting with Season 1? I started with 1 and hated it, then started loving it with Season 2. It's kind of like The Office (US) in that it needed to struggle through a season before finding its voice.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yeah, I started with season 1.

When I started season 1 of P&R I hated every minute of it. Then magically, somewhere in the middle of season 2 it transformed into one of my favorite shows ever. I'm hoping that will be the case with 30 Rock as well.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yeah, I started with season 1.

When I started season 1 of P&R I hated every minute of it. Then magically, somewhere in the middle of season 2 it transformed into one of my favorite shows ever. I'm hoping that will be the case with 30 Rock as well.

Yeah, but that's because the first season of P&R was a terrible wreck that mistakenly thought it was supposed to be a shot-for-shot recreation of The Office, with Leslie as Michael Scott and Paul as Jim. Except Paul had the charisma of a dry sponge and DumbLeslie was so much "funny" as she was "horribly grating."

With 30 Rock, I think it peaks around season 3 or 4, and then starts spinning its wheels hardcore. The first seasons had so many intriguing plotlines that just simply never get resolved, to this day, and the same old jokes are used over and over again. Like, did you know that Jenna is a psychotic fame-whore who will do anything for attention? And that Tracy is a retarded manchild who is prone to random acts of stupidity? And how Kenneth is a hillbilly rube?

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    and also immortal and part of a very strange cult.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Part of it is also that it's one of those shows that become much funnier once you know the characters well. With both the Office and 30 Rock - both shows that I struggled to watch at first and then wound up loving - I went back and rewatched some of the first season episodes. They were much better than I'd remembered them, because some character could utter a word or make a face and suddenly, in context, it would become hilarious.

Incidentally, my favorite moment:

Jenna suddenly disappears and reappears right behind Kenneth. He turns and sees her and gasps and says, "Vampyr!" It was so randomly awesome.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I thought the show dragged last season but this one, with the exception of one or two episodes, decided to unleash the wacky.

I approve of wacky.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    How has no one commented about the live show yet? The Jon Hamm scene in Blackface was probably the funniest thing I've seen in television in the past 7 years.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    The live show was epic in, like they always are.

Seriously, they should do a live show every season moving forward.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    I usually catch up on Fridays; can't wait.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I find it sad that the East Coast had
    Paul Mccartney

while the west coast had
    Kim Kardashian

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    He played a very minor role. I want to see the west coast version now.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Last year Hulu had both up next day.

Lh96QHG.png
    fPoxa.gif

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I usually dont want to rewatch an episode immediately after viewing it, but the live episode was really fucking good. I think the constant flashbacks was a little too Family Guy, but it was still super fantastic. Like, really really good. Quiero mas.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I thought Paul L'Astname's version of Zou Bisou Bisou was pretty good

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Jokerman wrote: »
    How has no one commented about the live show yet? The Jon Hamm scene in Blackface was probably the funniest thing I've seen in television in the past 7 years.

Im glad you said that. That was easily the hardest Ive laughed at something on TV in as long as I can remember.

Oh god that animated GIF just made me laugh so hard at work I had to step out of the room.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • either,oreither,or Registered User regular
    That was amazing. I take back all the mean things I've said about you 30 rock! I loved "Hi, I'm nazi doctor Leo Spaceman. I know it's live! I want people to know."

steam_sig.png
    3DS friend code: 4811-7214-5053
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    jesus that was jon hamm

also Donald glover!