As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    @am0n It means that once you reach max level, you will not find "stronger" gear, you will find "different" gear. Like say the normal lvl80 armor has +10 strength and + 10 vitality.
    But now you want your character's build to be more damage based. So you go for armor that has +15 strength and + 5 vitality. So then, that armor is "stronger" for your personal build/playstyle, but it's not "stronger" than my normal lvl 80 armor. It's just different.

Basically, you will not wave your e-peen around with stuff that outclasses everyone in this game.
    You WILL wave it around with stuff that might look awesome though!

So yeah, GW2 is about personal skill and how you play the role you assigned yourself, it's not (thankfully) about wasting your life away on "the best item OMGZ"

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Hmm, okay. Do you have any links to more on this from the developers? Or some information on end-game plans? I'm trying to google it now, but curious, besides wuwuv and pvp e-sport, what the game will have in the way of pve end-game.

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Explorable mode dungeons, which start at level 30 (out of 80).

Xagar on
    am0n wrote: »
    Hmm, okay. Do you have any links to more on this from the developers? Or some information on end-game plans? I'm trying to google it now, but curious, besides wuwuv and pvp e-sport, what the game will have in the way of pve end-game.

There is no endgame. The game is the endgame. The entire damn game is there to be played.
    Levels basically mean nothing, they just put them in cause the WoW crowd couldn't understand a game without levels in it.
    You make your own goals, you work towards what you want.
    Even explorable dungeons aren't "end game". You do them if you want to, not because you have to.
    Want that cool looking armor? Do the dungeon! Want to make your own unique armor? Become a master crafter! Want to find all the hearts? Explore! Jump puzzles, hidden secrets, PvP, it's all there.

DO NOT THINK IN WoW TERMS. It's the worst mistake you can make and just confuses the shit out of you.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    I'm not thinking in WoW terms. I'm thinking in the terms I enjoy.

@Xagar thanks. I'll look more into those.

• Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    Yeah I like endgame and phat loot. But I'm trusting the aesthetic improvements of new and hard to obtain weapons will hold sway.

I think they will. I was furious at the look of some of the armour available endgame SW:TOR.

steam_sig.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    The best example to use to think of progression is the fact that going back to lower level areas to play new content will be normal and a good way of finding something to do.

Leveling is basically just there to pace your character and give you time to learn the traits and skills as they're available. Maxxing out your character so you can go anywhere will also feel good. Otherwise progression is pretty open ended.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    DrCongo wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Louie wrote: »
    I still have no clue as to what class I am going to play!

roll a d8

it is how I decided to play a Guardian :P

Hi5! I decided on a human male engineer with the help of my trusty D6 and D8.

Haha hi5!

I already have a race chosen for each class in the BWE, do I didn't roll for those:

Norn Guardian, Ranger
    Human Mesmer, Elementalist, Thief
    Charr Engineer, Necromancer, Warrior

I have doubts that you will be able to accomplish this list.

it was mostly just so I'd only have to roll a d8 and not try to find my d6s

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    GW1 was the same way with gear, so this isn't like new territory or anything. The super-expensive prestige sets were things people would put a lot of time and effort into, but the payout was purely bragging rights and a new look, the stats themselves were identical to any other standard set.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
    I tend to think of Guild Wars 2 as a normal game with MMO elements :P

There is a serious deficit of bullshit to deal with and the barrier to just playing a bit is very low. Instead of playing a lot and maxxing your character out the game is more about selecting the right gear, traits and weapons for your play style and then developing tactics that will make you succeed.

I seriously love that new stuff won't make me stronger.
    I don't want to be crazy mc huge dude who for some reason can kill a man in two strikes instead of 4 because his new blade is kinda sharper, I guess?
    I want to just be awesome and run around and have fun. Maybe do some of the hard challenges and get a cool looking item that everyone will ask me about.
    Or just design a cool look with crafted items and walk around the world solving problems! :D

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    It's that only so for max level though? While you level your gear will increase in power. Better gear is one of the advantages higher level players have in WvW.

edited April 2012
    Easy place to understand the gear setup is via GW1's wiki:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Deathbringer
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mallyx's_Hatred

Basically, as Greens ('Unique') the stats are 'maxed' out ahead of time and cannot be changed. The first one can be found fairly early in the Nightfall campaign as a boss drop (which are typically not too hard to farm) in an explorable area. The second is from the end boss of the Domain of Anguish, an Elite area that basically wipes the floor with people who come in unprepared. The differnece between the two is purely down to appearance and stat distribution. Which is 'better' for you would depend purely on your loadout (and in fact neither is that great for Dervishes IMO :p) and which one you think is more pimping.

You'll also notice that the stats of both scythes can be replicated, the advantage being that the Greens have preset 'perfect' (20% chance) stats rather than having to buy the components from other players.

I don't know how much of this will be the same in GW2, but everything at least sounds like they're sticking to the same overall goals.

In GW1 I went through about 5 max level scythes before settling on a primary one, and the more hardcore of any class would carry multiple weapons to swap between (F1-F4 were bound to weapon slots...F5 too? can't remember) on the fly depending on situation.

steejee on
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Oh and of course we totally forgot about transmutation stones which allow you to put stats you want on an item you think looks awesome.
    So you could run around in the lowest level looking armor but with max stats.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    And your favorite dye being added to every armor you wear and being able to change your dye as many times you like. And unlocking dye instead of buying it.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    *ahem* Guys, I have to work all day today, won't get home until late. Which probably means I won't play GW2 BWE untill tomorrow morning.

So with that in mind, could we please stop posting in this thread. My hype-boner is near critical stage, and I'm not sure how much more I can endure without series complications.

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It appears I have mysteriously come down with an illness today.

(Actually allergies are killing me and I need to get some sleep before servers come up but I can't breathe)

Toxic Pickle on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I am about to spontaneously combust from excitement.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Come on guys, the game isn't THAT amazing....

OMG OMG OMG JUST A FEW HOURS OMG

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Xagar wrote: »
    Why don't you try it out? It takes like three minutes.

Well, I got a bad virus, and I wanted to run all my scanners to make sure my computer is clean before I get out of safe mode and hit the internet (I just got the code late last night too). Now I'm at work... I literally haven't had three minutes.

And I won't have three minutes untill I'm back home, 7 hours from now. So hopefully there's no time limit for entering the code! I highly doubt there is though. That would be silly! Especially since I found no warning... though I didn't look that hard.

trust me, I wouldn't have entered that sucker in asap if I could!

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    How many hours is it until it starts?

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm working from home today so as to be maximally prepared for when the beta servers turn on. However, still going to go to the gym tonight like a motherfucking adult.

:(

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Guys, help. I can't decide. Charr warrior, human ranger, or charr necromancer? HELP ME!!! D:

My altoholism will destroy me in this game. Five hours, 58 minutes.

Vi Monks on
    edited April 2012
    It's scheduled to start in six hours. Whether it will be on time or we'll be able to log in is unknown.

Edit: also yeah, as long as you possess the code you ought to be able to enter it at any time. The only concern is if you hadn't already bought it since ArenaNet is out of stock for the time being.

Sarksus on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular

I typically don't make posts like these because they are inane and mostly pointless but i am really excited guys aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Guys, help. I can't decide. Charr warrior, human ranger, or charr necromancer? HELP ME!!! D:

Yes.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • charrbroiledcharrbroiled 'dis guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Remember, Teamspeak tonight! Loads of people should be in there having a blast tonight-through-Sunday. For tonight, all I need to do is go to the supermarket and pick up goodies for the weekend. Once that is done, I head home and be on hopefully about 3 hours after it "officially" starts. Also, Corehealer & (hopefully) I will be streaming for those whom are working/can't play tonight.
    Entriech wrote: »
    still going to go to the gym tonight like a motherfucking adult.:(
    Meh, I'm taking this weekend off to "rest" my muscles for the grind starting Monday. :P

charrbroiled on
    4d93c4f1d9d6247c.png
    Guild Wars 2: Tyreh, asura Warrior
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Sarksus wrote: »
    It's scheduled to start in six hours. Whether it will be on time or we'll be able to log in is unknown.

Edit: also yeah, as long as you possess the code you ought to be able to enter it at any time. The only concern is if you hadn't already bought it since ArenaNet is out of stock for the time being.

My only concern is I got a gamestop dud code... heard there was allot of those. Luckily the gamestop guys are awesome at my store, so they'll hook me up with a new one asap if that's the case!

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »

Yes.

You are not helpful.

<3

• charrbroiledcharrbroiled 'dis guy Registered User regular
    The temptation to call out of work is overwhelming.

Save it for the release. Beta isn't *as* important. :P

4d93c4f1d9d6247c.png
    Guild Wars 2: Tyreh, asura Warrior
  • TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    The temptation to call out of work is overwhelming.

edited April 2012
    Wow: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/04/27/guild-wars-2-sells-out-of-digital-editions/

ANet has stopped sales of the two digital versions due ensure Beta capacity won't be overwhelmed, so I guess the BWE won't be 1-2 servers at heavy/full and a bunch near empty, but rather most every server at high capacity.

Last night I patched (got a 40-50meg one) and was noting afterwards that GW2 probably has the first login screen in an MMO that made me feel excited to play, probably just the music. One of my biggest gripes with RIFT was that while it did have some decent music, I barely ever heard it and it was not very exciting. AoC's music had a similar effect for a while at login - excitement - at least until the other problems with the game got to me.

steejee on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Sarksus wrote: »
    LESS THAN NINE HOURS

I better go take a nap. So I can play all night.

• TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    I fully expect the TS server to be crowded tonight.

And it will be glorious.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Fucking Tera starting today and also GW2 beta weekend
    This weekend will consume me

t5qfc9.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Napping really hard so time passes faster!

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Zzulu wrote: »

Tera open beta started last weekend.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yesterday I came down with a fever and I was worried I would miss the whole damn beta weekend. Now it's gone! Hooray!

So I'm still trying to decide what class/race to play. I can't decide ):

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    Zzulu wrote: »

Tera open beta started last weekend.

Tera early access starts this weekend. Leads up to their release on May 1st.

• BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Oh son of a...

My new computer just listed as Out For Delivery, three days early, which means I must decide between playing GW2 on this crappy computer or not playing GW2 and try to mad-rush through setting it up to play GW2 on the new super machine.

Oh god, the Fed Ex guy will get here right at 3pm, I just know it.

First-World-Problems.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
This discussion has been closed.