As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel vs. Capcom 3] - Salt levels reaching critical mass

• IttiamIttiam Registered User regular
    Cap's best tactic against Ghost Rider is L and M shield slashes combined with double jumps. Doing regular jumps will put you over the bottom end of Rider's chain and shield slashes can keep popping him for damage. You might get lucky and have the shield slash pull Rider into combo range, but mostly you just whittle Rider down because his air chain spam will have him eating shield repeatedly. Those jumps should keep you above the assist spam, too.

And if Rider keeps doing that pillar of fire attack when you get close, remember that Cap's charging start and hyper charging both ignore projectiles so you can punish Rider right through the fire.

You might want to revise your character order, too; Cap can do awesome damage against assists, especially projectile assists, but it really helps him to have some meter to work with. He can also frequently pull off huge turnarounds by using charging star into projectiles, canceling to hyper charging star to catch the point and assist characters, then use XF2 to cancel into another low shield slash to OTG the opponents into another hyper charging star. Not to mention that Doom at XF3 is stupidly overpowered thanks to his speed and power boosts.

Yeah I was thinking about making Doom my anchor and Ryu my point. But Doom will mostly be going against an XF3 Akuma...who is crazy fast and often catches me with hurricane kick spam that he strings along until I die. They changed Ryu for ultimate so that his hyper hurricane kick has a higher priority than Akuma's regular hurricane kick (wasn't like that in the original), so I've been using Ryu as an anchor to keep his insane Akuma rush-down off me. But maybe I can just Plasma Beam my way to victory. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

• Luncheon LoafLuncheon Loaf Registered User regular
    As a Ghost Rider player, I think that unless your name is Hawkeye, Magneto, or Dr. Doom (maybe Taskmaster, but I don't have much of a problem against him for some reason) trying to zone him out is a losing battle, even from the air. You just can't zone him out unless you can do it from absolute full-screen. Shield slash becomes inert if you get hit. If he's worth half a shit he'll abuse the range on jump+H when you try to double jump shield slash and just win you out. Cap's strength is ability to close distance with charging star and open you up with left/right mixups and overhead crossups. Just block Jump+S (no advance guard) and run in imediately cancel into charging star and hyper charging star if he gets aggressive. With Cap, you want to be up in Ghost Rider's grill.

Doom is great against LV3 Akuma. Just fly away and wait out the xfactor. He can't catch you or beam you because his fireballs and beams all go downward.

xbl: halophilicNC
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Ittiam wrote: »
    Cap's best tactic against Ghost Rider is L and M shield slashes combined with double jumps. Doing regular jumps will put you over the bottom end of Rider's chain and shield slashes can keep popping him for damage. You might get lucky and have the shield slash pull Rider into combo range, but mostly you just whittle Rider down because his air chain spam will have him eating shield repeatedly. Those jumps should keep you above the assist spam, too.

And if Rider keeps doing that pillar of fire attack when you get close, remember that Cap's charging start and hyper charging both ignore projectiles so you can punish Rider right through the fire.

You might want to revise your character order, too; Cap can do awesome damage against assists, especially projectile assists, but it really helps him to have some meter to work with. He can also frequently pull off huge turnarounds by using charging star into projectiles, canceling to hyper charging star to catch the point and assist characters, then use XF2 to cancel into another low shield slash to OTG the opponents into another hyper charging star. Not to mention that Doom at XF3 is stupidly overpowered thanks to his speed and power boosts.

Yeah I was thinking about making Doom my anchor and Ryu my point. But Doom will mostly be going against an XF3 Akuma...who is crazy fast and often catches me with hurricane kick spam that he strings along until I die. They changed Ryu for ultimate so that his hyper hurricane kick has a higher priority than Akuma's regular hurricane kick (wasn't like that in the original), so I've been using Ryu as an anchor to keep his insane Akuma rush-down off me. But maybe I can just Plasma Beam my way to victory. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Ryu's Shinkuu Tatsu always had startup invincibility, but that's not the primary way you should deal with Akuma anyway. What you want to do is push-block so that he whiffs a kick or two and either reposition yourself or lay into him when he's vulnerable. If he's in X-Factor, you probably want to run away as Loaf suggested, by staying above his beam paths.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    Doom is great against LV3 Akuma. Just fly away and wait out the xfactor. He can't catch you or beam you because his fireballs and beams all go downward.

Just make sure you're at max height when you're lasering because if you're not, Akuma can super jump, demon flip, and catch you with a dive kick. I've caught many Doom players this way.

edited April 2012
    I'm not even saying lasering. Just fly up there and wait out the xfactor. If he super jumps at you unfly, block and FOOT DIVE! Or just flydash to the other side of the screen and listen to them swear over the mic. :P I mean, you'll probably throw out a finger laser to cover your descent and jump back up but I wouldn't commit to a barrage of finger lasers for the very reason you mention.

Luncheon Loaf on
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Hey Templewulf, I figured out how to escape Spider-man's UWT reset with Zero.

So now all three of my guys can get out of it with the hardest being Nova, amusingly :).

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Hey all, I've been playing UMvC and I love it. But I'm having trouble. I tend to play Cap/Doom/Ryu, my brother started playing Deadpool/Ghostrider/Akuma and he is absolutely destroying me. We used to be about 50/50, but now he wins like 80% of the time. I just can't seem to handle his keep-away game with Deadpool and Ghostrider. Does anyone have any advice for dealing with that?

What are your assists? Doom has the best beam in the game so maybe call doom beam assist a lot. Not sure what cap can do against non-projectile keep away.

Taskmaster can usually handle non-morrigan keep away and is pretty straightforward. Maybe try him?

iron man also has a good beam (keeps them grounded)

also switch doom to last, and ryu to the middle

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    Use Doom beam and then charging star through the projectiles.

Or Hidden Missiles and then charging star through the projectiles.

Point is, charging star through the projectiles.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Just be careful with where your charging star will leave you. The recovery time on it is pretty long, so if you use the heavy version (which will get you across the screen), some projectile assists won't last long enough to let you recover safely. And keep in mind that hyper charging star ignores all projectiles, so you can do things like hyper charging star right through Akuma beams.

My biggest shortcoming when using Cap is easily a problem with using charging star too much, resulting in either having to burn hyper to escape safely or use X-factor way too early. It's a stupid mistake to make, too, since I usually have Haggar's lariat assist for help and could easily just call him and cancel one of Cap's attacks into his flip to safely end an attack sequence behind the opponent.

Bizazedo wrote: »

So now all three of my guys can get out of it with the hardest being Nova, amusingly :).

Boo-urns! Is it his command dash or what?

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    @Luncheon Loaf

Thanks for the matches, hope it wasn't too boring for you. Eventually I'll figure a way in on Ghost Rid

• Merton BlaskMerton Blask Registered User regular
    Seems like my lab time's finally clicked; got off my fancy five web throw combo with Spidey in an actual match, and Iron Man's Krispy is connecting for full hits a lot more often. Suppose the next step is actually learning how to play as Doom, right now he's just hanging around and box-jumping j.Ms like it ain't no thang.

Anyone else sitting squarely at 8/9th Lord, skill-wise? Send 'Merton Blask' an invite, I could use some player matches with my fellow scrubs.

It would be like if the Queen woke you up every morning. Too special.
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    Boo-urns!

I love you

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    @Luncheon Loaf

Thanks for the matches, hope it wasn't too boring for you. Eventually I'll figure a way in on Ghost Rid

No problem, dude. I only had to go because my wife wanted to watch tv. Sorry I didn't have a mic for feedback.
    You just need to press the attack more. I controlled the tempo the whole time so i was dictating what you were allowed to do. Get aggressive, but still try to remain as safe as possible. This will give you more opportunities to punish bad plays of your opponent which is where most of the damage in this game comes from. I'll dig out my mic or switch on the Kinect next time.

Boo-urns!

I love you

But can it bloom on the battlefield?

Use Doom beam and then charging star through the projectiles.

Or Hidden Missiles and then charging star through the projectiles.

Point is, charging star through the projectiles.

Well a regular charging star doesn't always go through deadpool's "have gun, will shoot!" move. It looks like it's going to go through it, but the last couple bullets catch my Cap mid-act.

I changed Doom to my anchor and that seemed to help for awhile, but mostly I'm still getting owned. My biggest problem is dealing with his Akuma. I've had all three characters left with over half health each, and he rips them apart in 20 seconds. It's gross. I just don't know how to counter Akuma's hurricane kick spam. If he catches me once with it, he can string it and it just decimates my character. I imagine the only thing to do is to block, and try to advance guard the very last kick? That's the only thing I can even think to try, really. Is there a better counter for it? I could be missing something.

• RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    These videos are from vanilla MvC3 but might still give you an idea how to combat tatsu if he's just mindlessly spamming it all the time. Granted, if he's in xfactor it's going to be harder to immediately combat. Consider using a snapback to force Akuma in early, particularly over Ghost Rider (who is not a very good anchor at all).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIXwlLkCGhQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPeHmnUVYkA

Videos

Thanks, that helps a ton. When you keep getting your butt handed to you by the same thing over and over again, you start to think there isn't a way around it. But those videos! There's so many ways! Awesome, thank you!

edited April 2012

Nice reference :).

No, amusingly it's tech forward and j. S. It will actually hit Spidey before the web grabs Zero.

Bizazedo on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Videos

Thanks, that helps a ton. When you keep getting your butt handed to you by the same thing over and over again, you start to think there isn't a way around it. But those videos! There's so many ways! Awesome, thank you!

Pretty standard tactic in dealing with Akuma is pushblocking the last tatsu hit just to keep him off of you. If nothing else, it should give some space to get away or call an assist to bother Akuma while you try something.

Akuma's low health is also something to exploit. Even if you can't manage to kill him in a single combo (which a ton of characters can do on their own and DHC will put almost everything over the top against Akuma), a single solid combo will put him in the danger range for chipping him to death. You have to be very careful about it because of how fast his beam super is, but I've beaten plenty of Akumas just by forcing him to advance through projectiles and chipping him to death.

And if nothing else, pick up a character with invincible assists; Akuma just doesn't have the health to be able to ignore repeated hits from any source. Combine the hit from an invincible assist with a super and Akuma will already be looking at a third of his life knocked off and a lot more than that if you combo from the assist.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    These videos are from vanilla MvC3 but might still give you an idea how to combat tatsu if he's just mindlessly spamming it all the time. Granted, if he's in xfactor it's going to be harder to immediately combat. Consider using a snapback to force Akuma in early, particularly over Ghost Rider (who is not a very good anchor at all).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIXwlLkCGhQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPeHmnUVYkA

Oddly enough though, while Ghost Rider is a shit anchor (easily one of the worst), if it does come down to a one on one fight, he is surprisingly adept at hard countering some of the higher tier characters as long as you're patient. Wesker can be smacked right out of a lot of his teleport retardation due to the recovery lag, and GR works best at a range that also happens to be Dormammu's primary workspace. While I would never intentionally run GR as an anchor, hope is definitely not lost if he is the last one depending on who's he's facing. It basically come down to being absurdly patient and hoping you've got your opponent dialed in.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Man, yesterday I literally played this all day and what a day. My 21-20 ranked record ended up at 55-92. Which is still shockingly way better than my Vanilla MvC3 record, but jeez.

I got into a funk where I just lost a bunch, and started tooling around with my team (Morrigan/Cap/Nemesis), and somehow, at the end of the day ended up with Cap/Chris/Thor really doing well.

I started the day a 9th Ranger, feel back down to Fighter, and ended the day a 9th Judge. The Cap/Chris/Thor team is super, super defensive, which I've never played, but I really like playing that style now. People seem to freak out at higher levels. I was beating a LOT more higher ranked opponents who had no idea what to do when everything was getting advancing guarded away. They wasted a lot of meter just chipping away. And I got much smarter with using assists too - Chris' gun fire is pretty great when Cap's shield toss connects - gun fire - then connects again returning.

And Thor is a great beast of an anchor because he just has so much damn HP it gives me some space to be an idiot.

As much as I hate that most of my day was spent losing, I'm not nearly as angry as I was when I'd get destroyed in Vanilla MvC. I felt like I learned a lot which I guess is the whole point.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Now that I understand the game a little better I'm thinking of trying out an Avengers team for the week in honor of the movie. I tried Cap/Hulk/Thor and wasn't feeling it at the time, but I've been looking through the guide on break tonight and I want to give Cap/Hulk/Iron Man a try.

Plus it'd be nice to have more than one team to use.

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    You rarely see Iron Man doing anything special. Even when you see a good Iron Man in a match, it's nothing spectacular. Kinda sad.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    You rarely see Iron Man doing anything special. Even when you see a good Iron Man in a match, it's nothing spectacular. Kinda sad.

if only someone good would play him

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    edited April 2012

Every once in a while, you see Alukard do some cool stuff with him. It's not often though because at that level of play, his opponents know how to shut him down pretty good.

I missed this on the Fight for Youth stream. Pretty rad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAgPtXxn68k&feature=player_embedded#!

House of Paincakes on

Nice reference :).

No, amusingly it's tech forward and j. S. It will actually hit Spidey before the web grabs Zero.

Yeah, I don't think the frames on that reset are favorable anymore. I can't get it to meaty anyone, though I am surprised you even have enough time to air S out of it.

• blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular

Every once in a while, you see Alukard do some cool stuff with him. It's not often though because at that level of play, his opponents know how to shut him down pretty good.

I missed this on the Fight for Youth stream. Pretty rad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAgPtXxn68k&feature=player_embedded#!

That match is amazing.

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    I know Capcom isn't interested in any more patching that doesn't include some kind of paid DLC, but it'd be really nice if they'd fix the matchmaking system. And by "fix", I mean remove lobbies entirely and return to the old system (minus the "failed to join match" nonsense). It gets very annoying when people can simply dodge you any time they want to to preserve their precious rank.

edited April 2012
    I really haven't had a problem with people dodging me. To be honest, I prefer to see my opponent's gamertag because there are some players who I know I don't have a good connection with despite it showing 4 bars. Additionally, I think the players who are worth playing (i.e. are actually good) aren't going to be dodging anyone.

Besides, player matches are where it's at!

One thing that does bug me about ranked matches is it doesn't log gamertags in your "recently played" list for ranked matches, only player matches. When someone disconnects on me in ranked, it makes it harder to send them LOL messages.

House of Paincakes on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Ugh I had 2 real solid wins end in ragequits. Part of me wants to reset my rank. Its like I forgot how to play for 2 whole days. Another part says who cares? Just decided to end today on a win, 51-100. Not AWFUL for an average person I don't think...

But to think 2 days ago I was 21-20!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I really haven't had a problem with people dodging me. To be honest, I prefer to see my opponent's gamertag because there are some players who I know I don't have a good connection with despite it showing 4 bars.

Besides, player matches are where it's at!

Well, I guess it doesn't matter if player matches keep their lobbies.

It seems like, in ranked, beating someone once causes 70% of opponents to start dodging me forever. This includes people with very high ranks who play any-rank matches, though it's less common there. It happens in H&H too, and it turns the leaderboards into a contest of who's the best at avoiding difficult opponents. But yeah, I agree with the lag bar not being very reliable for judging other people's connections (it's helpful if someone else in my house has started Youtubing/torrenting/etc. though).

edit: the gamertag thing is probably intentional, because nothing causes your XBL "rep" to go down faster than to play a fighting game and be decent at it.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    That kid is amazing with Tron. Wow.

Yeah, I don't think the frames on that reset are favorable anymore. I can't get it to meaty anyone, though I am surprised you even have enough time to air S out of it.

The tech forward and swing start before Spidey even begins the UWT. I was playing a long set with a buddy and he kept trying to move further and further away. Eventually he started doing the reset at different times in the combo because it requires me to tech forward and hit S almost immediately. Like, it's not an always get out of jail free in the least. Once he started varying when in the combo he'd do it it become much harder.

edited April 2012
    the gamertag thing is probably intentional, because nothing causes your XBL "rep" to go down faster than to play a fighting game and be decent at it.

True. I remember checking my rep back in the height of SF4 (when scrubs were at an all time high) and what I found was pretty funny.

House of Paincakes on

The tech forward and swing start before Spidey even begins the UWT. I was playing a long set with a buddy and he kept trying to move further and further away. Eventually he started doing the reset at different times in the combo because it requires me to tech forward and hit S almost immediately. Like, it's not an always get out of jail free in the least. Once he started varying when in the combo he'd do it it become much harder.

I wonder if Maximum Spider is fast enough to connect at that height. He's invincible on the way up, so it would be a pretty funny counter to tech attempts.

• JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    What does everyone think about team aerial combos? Legitimate tactic or a crutch for weak or lazy players?

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    watching the Civil War vods

Chris G's morrigan wall makes me want to rip my fucking hair out and i'm just watching

edited May 2012
    Jombalaya wrote: »
    What does everyone think about team aerial combos? Legitimate tactic or a crutch for weak or lazy players?

Definitely not a crutch, in fact it's arguably more of a risk to use them than to not. The benefits aren't exactly huge so players who use a lot of TACs aren't getting that much out of it when you consider that they should be countered 33% of the time.

However, for certain team combinations, TACs are absolutely crucial but they're pretty character specific.
    -Wolverine --> Frank West --> picture into hyper, DHC into Wolverine's speed-up, hard tag Frank West, another picture into hyper
    -Firebrand --> Dormammu --> stalking flare DHC into luminous body, unblockable swoop
    -Any character --> Dr. Doom for crazy corner combos (a la ChrisG or MarlinPie)

On the whole though, TACs aren't that great IMO so it's not like weak and lazy players are getting an advantage.

watching the Civil War vods

Chris G's morrigan wall makes me want to rip my fucking hair out and i'm just watching

Yeah, it's definitely tough to watch and I'm sure much worse to actually play. He's gotten a lot better at it too in recent tourneys. It will be interesting to see how far that takes him in EVO. I have yet to see a hard counter for it. I think it would do a lot to balance things out if she didn't gain any meter during that mode (like just about every other "power-up" hyper).

House of Paincakes on
    Getting rid of one of her aerial fireballs would be another good thing. One action, like Phoenix.