Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

D'aww [chat]

1394042444588

Posts

  • wazillawazilla Registered User regular
    I should read the hobbit one of these days.

    But I want to finish reading all my weird Murakami books first.

  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck you must go on i cant go on ill go onRegistered User regular
    PARKOUR DOG ES OP

    obF2Wuw.png
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    An actually-existing proverb: 少不看水浒,老不看三国, translated: young people shouldn't read heroic epics, old people shouldn't read cynical amoral narratives.

    ronya on
    Steam
    shryke wrote: »
    Talking to ronya is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, that has been shit out and then eaten again by a bulldog.
  • Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    So [chat], if I were given the power to guarantee that one book was never discovered my my kids, which one should it be?

    None of them. Let them be exposed and teach them to question until they get satisfactory answers.

    A reasoned person need not fear any knowledge.

    Children are not reasoned people yet!

    That's what the teach them part is there for. They won't become reasoned people if they're insulated from things, especially bad things.

    Have them read Atlas Shrugged and show them why its crap.
    Show them Godfather 3 and teach them why its horrible.
    Indeed, give them the prequels so that they may learn.

    Non-parent detected. Legit children cannot even make more advanced structuralistic judgements until they hit their teens or so.

    They don't know why the fuck Godfather III was too on the nose and artless, they just know that Daddy Hates This Thing for some reason. Guess I'll hate it too, because my undeveloped monkey brain tells me to do so.

  • GonmunGonmun Canada eh!Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    every child should be made to read 1984 and animal farm though

    repeatedly

    Probably, but if my own public school education is any indication, teachers read this post and thought you just typed "Lord of the Flies" like 7 times.

    I managed to not have to read that book all the way through school. My class was the smallest so instead we read Flowers for Algenon. Interesting read.

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~

  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    bowen wrote: »
    Message passing is not function calling and eventually you will figure out why the syntax is all different.

    For the most part: "Because Apple"

    Ugh, come on.

    It's because it has to simultaneously co-exist with existing C syntax, allow for mingling with C++ without getting confusing, and offer new features. I mean, you can't call functions that don't exist but you can certainly pass messages to objects that don't respond to them. It's actually pretty awesome.

    This is what I saw as the biggest draw to it. I mean I can see its uses but it just screams "I WANT TO BE DIFFERENT" more than anything else.

    bowen on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    children should also not be allowed to read enders game

    hatchet
    the hobbit
    catcher in the rye

    is this sarcasm

    I'm not sure because we are using the internet

    The Hobbit is fucking huge.

    My mother read it to me and my brothers.

    Also the more I think about it, I'm pretty sure people only have children because they lose the waiting game with their siblings.

    Dis' wrote: »
    Cancer is when cells stop letting the body mooch off their hard work - clearly a community of like-minded cells should isolate themselves and do the best job each can do, even if the rest of the body collapses!
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    every child should be made to read 1984 and animal farm though

    repeatedly

    Probably, but if my own public school education is any indication, teachers read this post and thought you just typed "Lord of the Flies" like 7 times.

    I managed to not have to read that book all the way through school. My class was the smallest so instead we read Flowers for Algenon. Interesting read.

    the abridged or unabridged version

    either is pretty terrifying at nine, though, I can attest

    Steam
    shryke wrote: »
    Talking to ronya is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, that has been shit out and then eaten again by a bulldog.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    So [chat], if I were given the power to guarantee that one book was never discovered my my kids, which one should it be?

    None of them. Let them be exposed and teach them to question until they get satisfactory answers.

    A reasoned person need not fear any knowledge.

    Children are not reasoned people yet!

    That's what the teach them part is there for. They won't become reasoned people if they're insulated from things, especially bad things.

    Have them read Atlas Shrugged and show them why its crap.
    Show them Godfather 3 and teach them why its horrible.
    Indeed, give them the prequels so that they may learn.

    Non-parent detected. Legit children cannot even make more advanced structuralistic judgements until they hit their teens or so.

    They don't know why the fuck Godfather III was too on the nose and artless, they just know that Daddy Hates This Thing for some reason. Guess I'll hate it too, because my undeveloped monkey brain tells me to do so.

    I'm not saying show little kids this stuff, clearly they're not developed enough. But you can select age appropriate lessons. Insulating children is stupid. You don't show a three year old Scarface, but you don't never let them see it. Which the original question asked.

    Lh96QHG.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Bro!Registered User regular
    Alright, the stuff for Leigh's last weekend before she goes home has been prepared. I have a nice B&B booked in the Hill Country. Maybe do some horse back riding or tubing depending on the weather. Or I'll suffer through some wine tastings.

  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck you must go on i cant go on ill go onRegistered User regular
    @ronya

    imagine somebody comes to you and says "what is the empirical evidence for the effectiveness of conventional stimulatory spending in a recession, for and against"

    what would an austrian, keynsian, and you say

    im reading a policy exchange report and i dont have the evidence base to know where the major misleading steps are

    http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/publications/category/item/controlling-spending-and-government-deficits-lessons-from-history-and-international-experience

    obF2Wuw.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Oh my god. This Community episode is awesome.

    best title for an ep ever

  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    If I were a betting man I'd imagine obj-c's and NeXT's reason for being other than Job's intervention at their near founding was because it increases the amount of work to be involved with the community so every tom dick and harry from windows doesn't take their old C++ code and go "whoop iphone app!"

  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Also, being a parent doesn't make you a magic education wizard.

    Lh96QHG.png
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    Children shouldn't read twilight.

    “This is America. We’re entitled to our opinions.”
    “Wrong. This is Texas. And my opinion is the only one that counts."
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    children should also not be allowed to read enders game

    hatchet
    the hobbit
    catcher in the rye

    is this sarcasm

    I'm not sure because we are using the internet

    the giver - promotes abortion
    charlotte's web - promotes lying
    the lion the witch and the wardrobe - promotes running away from home
    the secret of nimh - promotes theft
    a wrinkle in time - promotes vigilantism
    enders game - promotes racism
    hatchet - provides potentially fatal survival "advice"
    the hobbit - promotes neckbeardism
    catcher in the rye - bad language

    Animal Farm and 1984 on the other hand teach a healthy distrust of liberalism and one's government, respectively

    Spoiler:

    919UOwT.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    @Gooey

    What the ever living fuck was The Giver supposed to be about?

    Why why why is it an English study book. There's just nothing fucking there.

    Dis' wrote: »
    Cancer is when cells stop letting the body mooch off their hard work - clearly a community of like-minded cells should isolate themselves and do the best job each can do, even if the rest of the body collapses!
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Bro!Registered User regular
    PARKOUR DOG ES OP

    Once they master Parkour, they are moving on to Ninjutsu. When the cats finally declare war, they will get an ugly surprise.

  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The Giver does fucking suck. So horrible. Hatchet is terrible too.

    AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    Or the bible.

    “This is America. We’re entitled to our opinions.”
    “Wrong. This is Texas. And my opinion is the only one that counts."
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    Oh who am I kidding Christians don't really read the bible.

    “This is America. We’re entitled to our opinions.”
    “Wrong. This is Texas. And my opinion is the only one that counts."
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    Foxproooooooooooooooo ugh.

  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS
    Sheep wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Yup.

    x2GsO.png

    Fiber connection?

    Yeeeep.

    My gateway is also one hop away.

    All your internets.

    I has them.

    we need a bandwidth off

    I have a gb uplink at my office.

    I also have two ten gigabit uplinks at my other office.

    >:-)

    QlBGc.jpg
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck you must go on i cant go on ill go onRegistered User regular
  • TomeWyrmTomeWyrm Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    So [chat], if I were given the power to guarantee that one book was never discovered my my kids, which one should it be?

    "The King in Yellow"

  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    actually now that i think about it i think it was infanticide in the giver, not abortion

    i think they killed a baby because the community had too many or something

    @electricitylikesme i have no idea

    919UOwT.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Also, Arthur C. Clarke - Childhood's End - I do not like it at all.

    Dis' wrote: »
    Cancer is when cells stop letting the body mooch off their hard work - clearly a community of like-minded cells should isolate themselves and do the best job each can do, even if the rest of the body collapses!
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck you must go on i cant go on ill go onRegistered User regular
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Yup.

    x2GsO.png

    Fiber connection?

    Yeeeep.

    My gateway is also one hop away.

    All your internets.

    I has them.

    we need a bandwidth off

    I have a gb uplink at my office.

    I also have two ten gigabit uplinks at my other office.

    >:-)

    you monster!

  • Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Also, being a parent doesn't make you a magic education wizard.

    I'm showing mad restraint on your behalf here, AMan. Truly, the job of magic education wizard must belong to the childless wonders in the Texas Education Agency who justify science textbooks containing a chapter on creationism, because they once taught in a public school for 3 years, and are married to one of Rick Perry's cronies.

  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    So [chat], if I were given the power to guarantee that one book was never discovered my my kids, which one should it be?

    None of them. Let them be exposed and teach them to question until they get satisfactory answers.

    A reasoned person need not fear any knowledge.

    Children are not reasoned people yet!

    That's what the teach them part is there for. They won't become reasoned people if they're insulated from things, especially bad things.

    Have them read Atlas Shrugged and show them why its crap.
    Show them Godfather 3 and teach them why its horrible.
    Indeed, give them the prequels so that they may learn.

    Non-parent detected. Legit children cannot even make more advanced structuralistic judgements until they hit their teens or so.

    They don't know why the fuck Godfather III was too on the nose and artless, they just know that Daddy Hates This Thing for some reason. Guess I'll hate it too, because my undeveloped monkey brain tells me to do so.

    I'm not saying show little kids this stuff, clearly they're not developed enough. But you can select age appropriate lessons. Insulating children is stupid. You don't show a three year old Scarface, but you don't never let them see it. Which the original question asked.

    I dunno, man. I'm like 99% right with you on the not shielding your kids from things once they're mature enough to handle it, but... is there really a moral imperative to open every single door for your kids?

    Is there something inherently wrong with the idea that if there was one evil, hateful, destructive thing you could be certain they never discovered or even heard of as children, you should take that opportunity?

    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Here's one, Moby Dick, I tried reading it in third grade and I still haven't forgiven Melville for it. Billy Budd; however, is fantastic.

    Lh96QHG.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Oh who am I kidding Christians don't really read the bible.

    A recent poll says one third of Americans have read the Bible the whole way through at least once.

    Angryspider2_zps663851d1.jpg
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    TomeWyrm wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    So [chat], if I were given the power to guarantee that one book was never discovered my my kids, which one should it be?

    "The King in Yellow"

    He's kinda a pushover we killed him with a shotgun

    speakin of which feel like dustin off ashcan pete this weekend

  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle sometimes a boy just needs to get out of the house and meet some girls Registered User regular
    ...am I on speakerphone?

    I'm a published writer and have a very unique and interesting writing style. I'm also sharp and witty. My profile is well-written and hilarious. My messages are likewise brilliant. And I've been doing this stuff for...four or five years. I know what "works" in terms of good internet dating writing. "Works" in the sense of leading to a "date" with a human female.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    children should read redwall

    cuz

    i read a lotta fuckin redwall

    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar | 3DS: 3110-5421-3843 | SS Wishlists |
  • DeebaserDeebaser At the corporate garage sale This is cheap and plentifulRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    "enterprise shuttle lands in new York"
    Says the caption on the TV

    Have I been an extra in a shitty time travel episode all my life or am I having a psychotic break?

    I'd love to tell you differently because either one of your options would be more interesting... but it's just the Plain Old Space Shuttle Enterprise.

    Oh, it clicked after a second, but it was a strange brainfart

  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    When I was in the sixth grade, I owned about a dozen Goosebumps books.

    *weeps*

    Angryspider2_zps663851d1.jpg
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    spool's comment reminds me: internet censorship, where do we stand on that?

    Because when I got to thinking about it, the types of things young kids could get up to on the net is kind of terrifying, but I'm not sure what, if anything, should really be done about.

    I know my parents never really bothered with it. But I remember dial up modems, and holding a pillow over the speaker because I didn't know how to turn it off on late-night pornography sprees while I was discovered masturbation.

    Dis' wrote: »
    Cancer is when cells stop letting the body mooch off their hard work - clearly a community of like-minded cells should isolate themselves and do the best job each can do, even if the rest of the body collapses!
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    emnmnme wrote: »
    When I was in the sixth grade, I owned about a dozen Goosebumps books.

    *weeps*

    gerseburm berks?

    bowen on
This discussion has been closed.