As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the good old GOG.com thread, go find the new GOG thread.com

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Glal wrote: »
    Is it gonna make them millions? No? Not worth the effort. It's not about making a profit, it's about the volume and they don't give a crap about peanuts.

How much effort could there even be? Just give gog the damn file. What a shame. People worked their asses off on some of these games and they're in danger of being lost forever.

This is why I love indie developers and kickstarter. The big publishers are the greediest companies in America and have no passion about what they actually do.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    You got it right. Triangle was the best. SKEWER EVERYONE!!!!

• BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    I've always wanted to give Skies of Arcadia a go too. Really, I'd just love to see classic RPGs from the PS1/Dreamcast in general pop up on GOG, they're not going to make their IP owners any money being bought used on ebay.

(Of course, most of the ones we want to play are probably plagued with nightmare contract issues with old voice actors and the like. Bah.)

If you've got a Wii or Gamecube the Gamecube version of Skies of Arcadia is worth it.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    I've always wanted to give Skies of Arcadia a go too. Really, I'd just love to see classic RPGs from the PS1/Dreamcast in general pop up on GOG, they're not going to make their IP owners any money being bought used on ebay.

(Of course, most of the ones we want to play are probably plagued with nightmare contract issues with old voice actors and the like. Bah.)

If you've got a Wii or Gamecube the Gamecube version of Skies of Arcadia is worth it.

I'll second this. I played the GC version about a year ago. It holds up surprisingly well.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

It's $100 on Amazon.

I adore the game, and own it on DC and GC, but $100 might be a little steep.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I snagged a copy for ~$30 on ebay. Best way to get it anymore.

• BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

It's $100 on Amazon.

I adore the game, and own it on DC and GC, but $100 might be a little steep.

Ouch. There's a chain in Western PA / Eastern Ohio that sells all kinds of preowned games, movies and music, it's great, got a copy there for less than $15.

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Heh, Skies of Arcadia was one of the first things I bought when I got my Gamecube.

Because it was cheaper than a used copy of the Dreamcast version.

steam_sig.png
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Holy shit it WAS Soul Reaver! Bought, no contest.

Come onnnnn sequels!

Euphoriac on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Also Myst V came out if nobody else noticed.

I'm planning on playing that eventually, but the sad and hopeless tone of the game is making me put it off for now... And I still have to play IV first.

Man, nobody has III and IV.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Even though it has its faults, Myst IV is probably my favorite of the main series (Uru is my favorite overall). It just looks gorgeous and I really like the feel of it. I remember enjoying 5, but I really should play it again as I haven't since it was first released. I think I remember it tying into the 3rd Myst book.

• AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    GSM wrote: »

I'm planning on playing that eventually, but the sad and hopeless tone of the game is making me put it off for now... And I still have to play IV first.

If it makes you feel better about no one having Myst IV for sale, Myst V has more to do with Uru than Myst IV. It was kind of a way to cap off both the stories of Myst and Uru, but Uru Live ended up coming back a few years later and continued the story a little further.

I'd really like to see Myst III released digitally, too. It was a bit too easy, but had one of my favorite Ages in the series (Edanna).

soempty.jpg
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Some EA games are on sale including Syndicate, the Crusader games, and Magic Carpet.

Are the crusader games worth it? I've had my eye on them for awhile.

I also always hear people talk about Magic Carpet, but I don't get it. What makes it good?

anoffday on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I bought Might and Magic Worlds Of Xeen off GOG and it's as awesome as I remember it. But is there any way to not make the screen stretch to widescreen when playing these old DOS games?

edit: Apparently it's Alt+Enter

Magic Pink on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I really want to get Crusader, Syndicate and Magic Carpet this weekend. Played the Crusader demo so much as a kid, would be good to have it now.

forumsig.png
  • ThemadcowThemadcow Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hmmmm... might get Syndicate just for the sake of old-school nostalgia but nothing else there looks vaguely tempting. Magic Carpet wasn't a great game when it came out (more like a technical demo) so god knows how it is to play now.

*edit* Hmmmm... didn't really notice the Crusader games at the time but they do look interesting.

Themadcow on
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ooh, the Crusader games, wanted those for a while.

Do they still stand up?

EDIT: Also, are Nox or the Lands of Lore games worth it?

Lord_Snot on
    Lord_Snot wrote: »

Do they still stand up?

I'm wondering too. If I get 1 Crusader game, which is the one to get?

edited April 2012

Do they still stand up?

Nox is pretty awesome. Lands of Lore are point and click adventure games tho and are the bane of my existance. But they must have been good enough to make 3 of them.

Magic Pink on
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular

Do they still stand up?

Nox is a blast. Probably the best diablo-like I've played.
    In some ways, I like it better than diablo.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Lands of Lore is nothing like a point-and-click adventure game.

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Yeah, Nox is fantastic. If you like Diablo clones at all, definitely grab it.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Lands of Lore is like Legend of Grimrock.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Another interesting thing to note about Soul Reaver is that it was written and directed by Amy Hennig, who would go on to do the Uncharted games.

Right. Except the story in Soul Reaver is actually good. =P

I know it says the multiplayer servers for Nox are down, but I'm sure there's a way to play today, right? It'd be good times if we got it working and played some games.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    You'd probably have to resort to LAN play over a VPN.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Just a heads up regarding Nox, I have had a really annoying issue with the game. I have tried a dozen things to fix it, with no luck. My character likes to stutter whenever he says anything, and he says goofy crap pretty much any time you do any action so it was a nonstop chain of "Ye-ye-yes!" while playing the game. I'm on Vista so I can't really say how it would affect someone on 7, but just be a bit wary.

Zxerol wrote: »

I will admit to not having the vaguest idea what the hell I'm thinking of then.

You'd probably have to resort to LAN play over a VPN.

Yeah, it says that on the game description.

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Just a heads up regarding Nox, I have had a really annoying issue with the game. I have tried a dozen things to fix it, with no luck. My character likes to stutter whenever he says anything, and he says goofy crap pretty much any time you do any action so it was a nonstop chain of "Ye-ye-yes!" while playing the game. I'm on Vista so I can't really say how it would affect someone on 7, but just be a bit wary.

For what it's worth, I didn't have this issue on 7.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I bought populous the beginning last night on Lord Snots recommendation but the colors aren't right. Like the writing is a little blurry. Any fixes?

anoffday wrote: »
    I know it says the multiplayer servers for Nox are down, but I'm sure there's a way to play today, right? It'd be good times if we got it working and played some games.

I tried a game on thread and a hamachi server when it came out on GoG.. A little bit of interest but nobody actually ever played.
    Quest is fun, but if you can get enough people together for a CTF game, it is a BLAST.

• KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    To those wondering about Crusaders:

I bought them during X-mas, and tried them out. Found the control scheme really weird and awkward. It doesn't control like you might think, like how other isometric games just let you point/click to move around. This was all keyboard, and I honestly couldn't get comfortable with it.

It still looked really cool, though.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The second Crusader I played way back in the day, and honestly I found it the most fun on the first few (easy) levels where I could romp around and just blow up absolutely everything.

• OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I will admit to not having the vaguest idea what the hell I'm thinking of then.
    A shot in the dark: Legend of Kyrandia? Also made by Westwood, bad guy in the first game is an evil jester who wants to turn everyone to stone.

OldSlacker on
    edited April 2012
    So Nox is really good. I chose Conjurer and taming a spider and watching him chase around and kill one of those annoying bitches that throw rocks at you is good times. Totally worth 3 bucks. I also picked up Crusader No Regret.

edit: So I knew I heard of Westwood before. They also made Red Alert 2 which I played the heck out of as a kid. Now I want to play RA2. Why isn't that available anywhere?

anoffday on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Syndicate added to the backlog.

And fuck yeah for Soul Reaver. I remember reading about the PSX version in various issues of GamePro on on the schoolbus and really wanting to play it. Never did actually get around to it even after I got a PSX.

steam_sig.png
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    AaronKI wrote: »
    GSM wrote: »

If it makes you feel better about no one having Myst IV for sale, Myst V has more to do with Uru than Myst IV. It was kind of a way to cap off both the stories of Myst and Uru, but Uru Live ended up coming back a few years later and continued the story a little further.

I'd really like to see Myst III released digitally, too. It was a bit too easy, but had one of my favorite Ages in the series (Edanna).

Not really a fan of Edanna. I was constantly getting lost because everything looked the same, and yet I managed to complete it without understanding what I was doing or having any fun. :(

The whole ecosystem puzzle thing just didn't work for me. It didn't feel as "D'ni-built-to-last" as the mechanical areas. And let's be honest, "training ages" is the laziest reason for puzzles ever (although Saavedro's story was really well done). I've only ever played the demo for IV, but I liked what I did get to play.

There's a thought. What if GOG had free downloads of vintage game demos? That would be pretty cool...

We'll get back there someday.
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    edit: So I knew I heard of Westwood before. They also made Red Alert 2 which I played the heck out of as a kid. Now I want to play RA2. Why isn't that available anywhere?

They're behind the whole Command & Conquer series, up until Generals, I think. At that point EA had turned one of their own studios into "Westwood LA" or something. The real Westwood guys have been at a studio called Petroglyph since. They did Univese at War and the Star Wars: Empire at War. UaW sucked, though, and land portions of EaW also sucked. They kinda suck at land-based combat.

We don't even care... whether we care or not...