As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    wait, does it preinstall? I don't remember mine doing that

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    wait, does it preinstall? I don't remember mine doing that

Mine just downloaded. When I went to run the Installer, it basically said it can't because the game's not out yet. I'm assuming we've downloaded everything we need, and that when release comes, we'll just have to run the Installer and we'll be ready to go.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Basil wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    I finally wandered across some Hell footage and was amused by how fast the critters move.

Those goats can haul ass.
    where's this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Zd7YD3uuM

At 8:55 they show some goats running around and being adorable. A few other clips in there of players being horribly murdered, too.

My problem with this is, if they are saying the game doesn't get interesting until Nightmare I wish I could just choose to start a character on Nightmare. I wish Blizzard valued my time a little bit more. Not that that I am not going to have fun playing on normal, but when I start trying out the other classes I'm probably going wish I could just skip ahead. I feel that way with Diablo 2 and it's too bad they didn't improve it for 3.

If that was an option I think everybody would feel obligated to do it for alts, but it sort of cheapens the experience of raising a character from scratch. If you twink your character and speedrun the game you should blaze through Normal in no time at all anyway.

Zek on
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    For anyone who's wanting to catch up on diablo lore, but can't or won't play the old games:
    Here it is

Aww man, I remember ALL this stuff. It's been forever, but all these voices totally strike a chord in me.

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Blizzard has made it so that all the base skills unlock by the time you get out of normal, so I view it as a testing ground for skills and basic builds.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    You can't install it guys, just download.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    yeah that's what I thought
    hopefully it installs quick on the release night

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    yeah that's what I thought
    hopefully it installs quick on the release night

Apparently it has to decrypt first, so will probably take about as long as it would to install from a disc.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    I'm stupidly excited I am off work on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    For anyone who's wanting to catch up on diablo lore, but can't or won't play the old games:
    Here it is

Say what you will about the original Diablo, it had such incredible atmosphere. I played the shit out of that game, but I don't think that's nostalgia talking. It really captured some of the danger of the old rogue-likes.

Also, every voice actor was top notch.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Here it is

Say what you will about the original Diablo, it had such incredible atmosphere. I played the shit out of that game, but I don't think that's nostalgia talking. It really captured some of the danger of the old rogue-likes.

I would have no problem playing it today if I wasn't spoiled on auto-run.

I try to play it again and ersdrougrsd;kgujdioungbdo WALK ACROSS TOWN.

• Options
    I loved Diablo I six days a week, man. That game was amazing. It still is, but I'm so accustomed to running around everywhere now that it just feels too slow and boring to creep walk through the original. I still love it, though. Seriously, that game's just phenomenal.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Here it is

This.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Downloaded D2 & D2 LOD from battle.net to mess around, get a diablo kick, etc.

Got this error. Thrilling to see that downloading the game directly from them, it's not patched and the patch it tries to apply doesn't work. Any ideas?
    Blizzard BNUpdate v2.72 compiled on Oct 16 2003
    Log created at 8:13 pm on 04/27/2012

ERROR: unable to open archive 'D2DV_IX86_1xx_113d.mpq'

RESULT: Patch failed

EDIT: Should've known I needed to run as admin, since I had to do that with the downloaders. Leaving my post in case any other addicts run into the same issue.

Bobble on
  • Options
    Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Can't wait for this game. Been in the beta a long time. Picking up my CE at midnight. See y'all at release!

Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just set up my new computer before the beta ended...

oh god...

so smooth...

buttery smooth...

May 15 cannot get here soon enough.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Am I an old guy that just likes my discs and artifacts? I'm a Steam and digital distribution fan, but I'm getting a physical D3 copy.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Am I an old guy that just likes my discs and artifacts? I'm a Steam and digital distribution fan, but I'm getting a physical D3 copy.

I wanted a physical copy at first too. Opening up that new Blizzard game box gets me all nostalgic. But I dunno... I'm not actually someone who keeps their game boxes in a cool display or anything. There would really be no point in me getting a physical copy, and it would mean I'd either have to go to a midnight release or wait basically an extra day to play it, compared to the digital pre-download version.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »

I wanted a physical copy at first too. Opening up that new Blizzard game box gets me all nostalgic. But I dunno... I'm not actually someone who keeps their game boxes in a cool display or anything. There would really be no point in me getting a physical copy, and it would mean I'd either have to go to a midnight release or wait basically an extra day to play it, compared to the digital pre-download version.

But then you can't take your Diablo 3 case, line it up with Diablo 1 and 2, and exclaim "AT LAST, THE THREE PRIME EVILS HAVE BEEN UNITED!"

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

But then you can't take your Diablo 3 case, line it up with Diablo 1 and 2, and exclaim "AT LAST, THE THREE PRIME EVILS HAVE BEEN UNITED!"

Man i definitely don't have those boxes hanging around.

Plus those were back in the days of giant PC game boxes. I don't remember Baal being a midget.

• Options
    Anid MaroAnid Maro Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I usually feel that way, but for better or worse D3 is online only. Even for single player.

Way I see it, if I can play it then I can download a fresh copy. If I can't download a fresh copy, then I can't play it either.

Right now I'm holding out to see if Target will do a $20 gift card special on release week, otherwise I'll go digital and enjoy the midnight release.

Might lose my patience and do the digital anyhow. I think the wife pestering me to clear out my boxes of old crap (game discs, systems, electronics, et cetera) is somewhat influencing my decision. A disc doesn't seem like much, but enough of them can take up a lot of space.

Anid Maro on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Is there anyway to buy the first Diablo and get it to work on Windows 7? Amazon is offering new copies... at $25 bucks a pop. No Blizzard, sorry, your 12 year old game is not worth that much. I paid $20 for D2 + LoD Battle pack and I felt THAT was overpriced too.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Someone mentioned respecs in Diablo 2, but I see that was patched in with version 1.13. I'm actually playing with a high resolution mod and found out the other day that this mod is incompatible with version 1.13 (I'm still using 1.12). Anyone know of a mod like that which works with 1.13?

Blizzard games are the only physical PC games I've bought over the last few years, but even then it's only when it's a collector's edition.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Is there anyway to buy the first Diablo and get it to work on Windows 7? Amazon is offering new copies... at $25 bucks a pop. No Blizzard, sorry, your 12 year old game is not worth that much. I paid $20 for D2 + LoD Battle pack and I felt THAT was overpriced too.

You can get it used and not skip a beat. Blizzard didn't start using cd-keys until Starcraft, so Diablo doesn't have any real registration process - Incidentally this is also the reason it's not available on battle.net as a digital download.

(Now, why Blizzard just doesn't offer it up for free at this point as a marketing gesture would be something to take up with them.)

Donnicton on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Someone mentioned respecs in Diablo 2, but I see that was patched in with version 1.13. I'm actually playing with a high resolution mod and found out the other day that this mod is incompatible with version 1.13 (I'm still using 1.12). Anyone know of a mod like that which works with 1.13?

Blizzard games are the only physical PC games I've bought over the last few years, but even then it's only when it's a collector's edition.

Just get a trainer and reset your skills whenever you want.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-OhWPVt4Pk&feature=related

I kind of dislike where they are going with Diablo lore. They are really D&Ding it up, making it more like a generic fantasy setting.

I loved how the lore in Diablo 1 felt like it was based on Christianity. It really helped sell the whole gritty horror gothic thing they had going on. Who knows maybe just having the guy explain the lore is a poor way to be introduced to it.

Here is the Diablo 1 manual to remind everyone of the awesomeness, http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/misc/Diablo.PDF.

There are quotes by Milton, Blake and the Egyptian Book Of The Dead in there, and the in depth description for each monster is awesome.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Have you read the book of Cain? It is basically all about Heaven and Hell. I don't think the D3 universe is making any changes like that.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

I've changed just because of how easy Steam has made everything. I still love getting physical copies of stuff (I consider my stuff a collection/library and it's much more satisfying on a shelf than a list in a program on my computer) but it's just not always the most reasonable move.

that being said since I got the CE I will have a physical copy of D3. right next to me collector's edition of SC2 and Cataclysm (and maybe mysts of pandora by the end of the year... and definitely heart of the swarm)

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited April 2012

I love steam and dd, but I still tend to always get boxed versions of Blizzard games for some reason.

D3 Collectors Edition gets bonus points for having super sexy box art that also gets bonus points for reminding me of the Quake 3 box art.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNNFBhsskEU_zDvBQfbqqXJ7R8GmxP8EIcadG3dLXMsGCDEDCEOQimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHD-gLXTL2dPrYhV4C59LwxTDLz5mzWv7763OQi3_ISR_6p5Jt

On a side note, but I was thinking of skipping the midnight release, what with having to wait till 2 AM local time to be able to play. Then I realized today that if I skip it, I'll have to wait till around 5 ish Tuesday evening to pick it up. Fuck that noise, I'll stay up.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »

I love steam and dd, but I still tend to always get boxed versions of Blizzard games for some reason.

D3 Collectors Edition gets bonus points for having super sexy box art that also gets bonus points for reminding me of the Quake 3 box art.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNNFBhsskEU_zDvBQfbqqXJ7R8GmxP8EIcadG3dLXMsGCDEDCEOQimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHD-gLXTL2dPrYhV4C59LwxTDLz5mzWv7763OQi3_ISR_6p5Jt

On a side note, but I was thinking of skipping the midnight release, what with having to wait till 2 AM local time to be able to play. Then I realized today that if I skip it, I'll have to wait till around 5 ish Tuesday evening to pick it up. Fuck that noise, I'll stay up.

Is it made of tin?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »
    Savant wrote: »
    Here's an idea for explosive zombie dog build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#heYVTQ!aTd!ZZcZYc . Set the primary and secondary to whatever matches your taste. Of course you are going to want some gold radius extension gear for more zombie dogs for you to explode.

Also you would want a big slow weapon to get he most out of each dog blowing up.

this is a good link for a sacrifice build discussion: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?825129-Best-Consistent-Sacrifice-WD-Ever!!!

to echo some of their tips: I'd swap of circle of life for gruesome feast, CoL is best suited for builds where you arent using summon ZD as an active skill slot.
    Final Gift rune for Zombie Dogs synergizes well with GF.
    I'd also think about putting in Mass Confusion with the Devolution rune- enemies slain while confused have a 50% chance to rise as a new zombie dog. It has a much shorter cooldown than BBV.
    SteevL wrote: »
    D3's upcoming release has made me go back and try and get through Diablo II, which I never did complete. I've always made it to Act 2 and ended up quitting for one reason or another.

A few weeks ago I finally made it to Duriel and he kicked my ass. I died about 10 times before giving up, and I didn't touch the game again until a few days ago. I started grinding my Barbarian up a little more and giving better gear to my henchman and decided that I was ready to face Duriel once again.

Turns out I wasn't ready! Oh well. I'm not using a guide, so I probably specced my character out poorly anyway.

Duriel was the bane of my existence in D2 HC play. Run some tombs till you have the levels/gear to take him. At least he doesnt lag like hell the way he did in the early days of d2.

Yeah, I thought about mass confusion, you'd be able to cast it more often. I think you'd get less dogs out of it per cast though, because it would only go off when a confused guy dies and the AOE on BBV is pretty big and it lasts 20 seconds. It's sort of a trade off if you want the dogs more often or if you want to save it for big fights against elites and such.

Gruesome feast looks pretty good, but it's a bit less of a dog-blowing-up build if you go for that, so it's something I'd want to play around with in practice if I tried it. I'm probably going to use it in my other builds at least, since I don't think I'd try out a full on dog bomb build until geared up later on.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Here it is

This.

b943fc62ce9aa3628d41aeda402006f0

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Here it is

This.

b943fc62ce9aa3628d41aeda402006f0

As much as I love Diablo 1, I still dread trips to Wirt and the Witch over everything else in the game.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    BhaalenBhaalen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I'm going for world first 60. My friend and I were hoping to do this 2 man, but because of the way health scaling works in coop, thats no longer an option. We NEED 2 others, and time is running out. Where can I find 2 reliable no lifers. I'm worried all this hard work will be negated. :(

Bhaalen on
    Be careful. Your productivity will drop if you click this link.
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

You can get it used and not skip a beat. Blizzard didn't start using cd-keys until Starcraft, so Diablo doesn't have any real registration process - Incidentally this is also the reason it's not available on battle.net as a digital download.

(Now, why Blizzard just doesn't offer it up for free at this point as a marketing gesture would be something to take up with them.)

Giving it away for free would basically ruin it with cheaters, since they could do it consequence free.

• Options
    GhostGhost Registered User regular

Is it made of tin?

Ivory. Why do you think it cost so much?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Bhaalen wrote: »
    So I'm going for world first 60. My friend and I were hoping to do this 2 man, but because of the way health scaling works in coop, thats no longer an option. We NEED 2 others, and time is running out. Where can I find 2 reliable no lifers. I'm worried all this hard work will be negated. :(

I don't want to catch your insanity, but: What about the scaling is the problem? I assume you mean the mobs?

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular

I'm probably gonna no life it for the first two days honestly. Probably gonna blow through normal on solo then team up with people for nightmare and beyond.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Finally beat Duriel this morning. He only killed me once this time! The fact that you can heal your companion with potions was a revelation to me and pretty much saved me.

• Options

Why would you need 4 people? Isn't that just slowing you down by giving everything more health?

Also do we even know if there is going to be a world first 60 achievement/feat of strength type thing?

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.