As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Skinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (it's a school thread)

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    but I only have this internet forum..

edited April 2012
    removed!

DJ Eebs on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    went to a presentation on how to apply your social sciences degree in a business career

pretty much what i expected

10 minutes of sad trombone?

surprisingly, no

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • WankWank Registered User regular
    A lifetime of Disney movies tells me that you should go for it, absolutely. But I feel like in the real world "closure" is a nebulous, often unattainable thing, and maybe you would be better off continuing in what you are doing, or finding some other goal. Do you feel like you have to prove something to your parents? Or just yourself

more myself

I don't know if closure's the goal or what

I also don't know if I want to leave that sitting there for too long either urgh

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    no you should do that and go in in person and get in their grill

they are seriously terrible

God if I could go there I would. But I just don't have the money, between spending $200 on my car registration (fuck county and state fee increases by the way, that's a third more than I paid last year) and rent being right around the corner.

edit- and Geebs, for what it's worth, I'd go for it if I was in your shoes.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • WankWank Registered User regular
    more myself

I don't know if closure's the goal or what

I also don't know if I want to leave that sitting there for too long either urgh
    It's four years of your life and I'm assuming you got quite a few left. Could be the best decision, could be not so great, probably is not the worst possible. I'd do it.

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    It is crazy how much changes in a few weeks, I started off excited about classes and fairly sure I'd spend sophomore year at CC and now I'm worried about my classes and hesitant about leaving. Educationally I don't think staying is the best decision but somehow I still feel hesitant.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    no you should do that and go in in person and get in their grill

they are seriously terrible

God if I could go there I would. But I just don't have the money, between spending $200 on my car registration (fuck county and state fee increases by the way, that's a third more than I paid last year) and rent being right around the corner.

edit- and Geebs, for what it's worth, I'd go for it if I was in your shoes.

oh that sucks, good luck then. sending multiple times is probably your best bet then, and calling

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    geebs stop being a pussy

8406wWN.png
    :...:

Damn you mobile emoticon menu, you lied to me

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    today's the last day I'll ever go to more than one class as an undergraduate.

got a class tomorrow and monday, then finals after but I only have one of those.

jesus

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    man i bet you can't wait to start in three months and three weeks and four days

lfYVHTd.png
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I asked for an extension of four weeks for my Senior Thesis and got one for four months.

Huh.

Brian Krakow on
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    that is a joke senior theses take at least four days to write

lfYVHTd.png
    just put on a pot of coffee and write it the day before

lfYVHTd.png
    cohen is your blood boiling yet

lfYVHTd.png
  • SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    I am finished with graduate school in 3 days.

Sort of freaking out.

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    hey guys i'm done with this semester

starting to clean out my studio space for the summer

someone get their acoustic guitar and play some green dayy

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I just got my exam rescheduled. Thank God.

It is now in my calendar as "MAKE UP EXAM. DON'T SLEEP THROUGH IT. YOU FUCKING IDIOT."

MadEddy on
    ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    So my last in-class final exam of law school was... something. It wasn't as difficult as I thought (this professor is notorious for writing obnoxiously difficult exams) but I still left questioning all of my answers. The only saving grace at this point is that the curve is going to be set so low that I might have a shot at a decent grade.

Now I just have to write a take-home exam tonight and a paper next week and I'm done with law school foreeeeeevvvvvvereeeeeeerrrrrrr.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Well I got 75% on this most recent test, whoops

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So apparently the Pell Grant that I got last summer to pay for classes was a fluke that I only got because those classes put me over the threshold to count as a sophomore. Which means I'm completely ineligible for any financial aid for this summer.

So no classes this summer.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I got an invite to these mooks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Key_International_Honour_Society

debating whether I should join

what do you folks think?

It's another bullet point for your resume. Why wouldn't you join?

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Can you get a Pell grant annually?

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    So apparently the Pell Grant that I got last summer to pay for classes was a fluke that I only got because those classes put me over the threshold to count as a sophomore. Which means I'm completely ineligible for any financial aid for this summer.

What!?

Damn, that's rough. Did you need to take those summer classes or did you just want them out of the way for convenience later on?

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular

nah man

it's like if you make a joke to a guy whose legs got eaten slowly by ants about how that's not such a rough experience I mean that guy is not going to get mad

he's just going to go a little glassy-eyed and roll away

• LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »

nah man

it's like if you make a joke to a guy whose legs got eaten slowly by ants about how that's not such a rough experience I mean that guy is not going to get mad

he's just going to go a little glassy-eyed and roll away
    oh my god

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    It's another bullet point for your resume. Why wouldn't you join?

because it costs money

Is it a one-time fee thing or do you have to pay membership dues annually? I joined a couple of invite-only honor societies in college that required a one-time membership fee just to build my resume. The fees were affordable so it wasn't a thing.

I guess you need to figure out whether or not you can afford whatever kind of fee this club wants from you.

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    did anyone else get solicited for those "who's who of highs chool" books where you pay money to get your name in it and then you pay money to buy it and then i don't know who else buys it or what the point is

i'm not saying that's what that honors society is but that's what i thought of

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

What!?

Damn, that's rough. Did you need to take those summer classes or did you just want them out of the way for convenience later on?

Yes and no. I'm dual-majoring in both a standard two-year degree, and a transfer degree program (basically lib arts). The classes I wanted to take this summer would have allowed me to complete both programs next spring, graduating with both degrees. No classes this summer means I still get my regular two-year (Networking Technology), but no straight up transfer degree, until I go back and take those classes (which, hopefully, will be after I have a good job).

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited April 2012
    Ubik wrote: »
    did anyone else get solicited for those "who's who of highs chool" books where you pay money to get your name in it and then you pay money to buy it and then i don't know who else buys it or what the point is

yeah, I kind of partly get the impression that it might just be something like that

where I give them money and then maybe they send me a certificate or some horseshit and never hear from or receive any benefit from them ever again

Shorty on
    Shorty wrote: »

yeah, I kind of partly get the impression that it might just be something like that

where I give them money and then maybe they send me a certificate or some horseshit and never hear from or receive any benefit from them ever again

You're paying for the CV bullet. Employers eat that shit up. If you can afford it, I would say go for it, just don't have expectations about how involved you'll be in the organization after you join (you won't be).

• Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    I won the "outstanding student in biology" award today. My professor gave me his instructor's biochemistry textbook (with a little dedication inside), which was quite nice of him. Too bad I can't understand anything past the first 20 pages.

Really not looking forward to organic chem in the fall.

@Butler_For_Life_#1

You took organic chem recently. How'd you get through it without losing your sanity?

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular

You're paying for the CV bullet. Employers eat that shit up. If you can afford it, I would say go for it, just don't have expectations about how involved you'll be in the organization after you join (you won't be).

Do they really count for that much? I mean, if you're straight out of school and don't have much in the way of job experience, then I guess it would be better than nothing. I got a few of those letters and pretty much ignored them after a cursory google.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    all school is just a padding for your resume

zkHcp.jpg
    MadEddy wrote: »

Do they really count for that much? I mean, if you're straight out of school and don't have much in the way of job experience, then I guess it would be better than nothing. I got a few of those letters and pretty much ignored them after a cursory google.

My thinking is that it's better than nothing. It may not be worth anything realistically, but supplementing your CV with these kinds of extracurriculars can't hurt you.

I'm not pushing it, trust me, but there really isn't any harm in joining honor societies if you can afford it.

This discussion has been closed.