As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    floobie wrote: »
    Is it possible to build a laptop as thin, well built, and with battery life comparable to a 15" Macbook Pro? I'm genuinely curious.

No.

• floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    That is the impression I'd gotten. For the hell of it, before buying my MBP, I tried to find a comparable non-Apple notebook that was as portable, as powerful, and had similar battery life. I couldn't do it. Finding more powerful laptops was easy, but they were all a lot bulkier and had half the battery life. The opposite was also true... loads of portable notebooks with great battery life, but none of them were as powerful as the 15" MBP.

I do agree: Apple's unibody notebooks are basically the best laptops in existence. My old unibody Macbook, which literally looks like new and still holds 80% of its original charge, even though it's going on 4 years old, and accompanied me to school every day for three years (most of which consisted of sitting on dirty lab benches covered in pointy, abrasive rock and mineral samples), and is now being used by my mom to help teach sticky-fingered, destructive children drawing and painting, is a testament to that. My friend's ever so slightly older (like 2 months) non-unibody Macbook Pro, on the other hand, hasn't held up nearly as well.

floobie on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Fiskav wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    So, any thoughts on what video cards might get tossed in the new MacBook Pro 15"s?

Wait, what? New Macbook Pros?

http://macbookpro.macrumors.com/

Interesting. I wonder if the price will go down... my MacBook aluminium from 2008 is getting a little old.

I seriously doubt it. I'm going to be selling my mid 2010 13" Pro to help fund one. I've been wanting something with a little more graphical "oomph" so I can play Secret World and Guild Wars 2 via Boot Camp.

Yeah, I didn't get my hopes up too much.

Anyway, I'm debating whether to sell my current Macbook and buy a new Pro with Boot Camp (for PC-only Steam stuff), or to keep my existing Macbook while building a new laptop from scratch.

How are you planning on "building a new laptop from scratch"?

• FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    So, any thoughts on what video cards might get tossed in the new MacBook Pro 15"s?

Interesting. I wonder if the price will go down... my MacBook aluminium from 2008 is getting a little old.

I seriously doubt it. I'm going to be selling my mid 2010 13" Pro to help fund one. I've been wanting something with a little more graphical "oomph" so I can play Secret World and Guild Wars 2 via Boot Camp.

Anyway, I'm debating whether to sell my current Macbook and buy a new Pro with Boot Camp (for PC-only Steam stuff), or to keep my existing Macbook while building a new laptop from scratch.

By building one? Buying the hard drive, etc.

But I think I'll just go with the new Macbook Pro and Boot Camp.

Where are you getting the monitor, battery, mobo, case?

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Unless you have a machine/fabrication shop (or at least a nice CNC router), you won't be building a laptop.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust

Unless you have a machine/fabrication shop (or at least a nice CNC router), you won't be building a laptop.

Yeah, I have a feeling @Fiskav is a little muddled about these kinda things.

• FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
    Im curious to see what battery life will look like with Ivy Bridge processors. Although Im surprised at how okay I am with my current laptop, Ive had it since 2009 and it still feels new. I typically replace desktops every 3-4 years, but Im thinking I might be able to get a 5 year lifespan out of my laptop.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm hoping they'll bolster battery life by dumping the optical drive. Feels like there's a lot of space to work with there.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I'm hoping they'll bolster battery life by dumping the optical drive. Feels like there's a lot of space to work with there.

Best upgrade I ever made to my MacBook Pro was removing my optical drive and hard drive and replacing them wih two SSDs.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the SSD trend spread to Pros.

admanb wrote: »
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the SSD trend spread to Pros.

I'd just about bet on it becoming the standard config. If not with this next refresh, then within a year.

Maybe if they get rid of the optical drive or find a way to find 2 hard drives in there. Im not sure most people are ready to have only 250GB of space in their $2400 laptop.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Maybe if they get rid of the optical drive or find a way to find 2 hard drives in there. Im not sure most people are ready to have only 250GB of space in their $2400 laptop.

It wouldn't be hard. I run two hard drives (120GB SSD and 500GB HDD) in my early 2011 mbp

919UOwT.png
    Gooey wrote: »

It wouldn't be hard. I run two hard drives (120GB SSD and 500GB HDD) in my early 2011 mbp

But you lost your optical drive right?

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm trying to make an Android micro-SD card for my Nook Color using this guide

I've got the micro-SD in a regular SD-card adapter in the SD slot on my Macbook Pro (mid-2009, OS 10.6.8). However, when it's connected that way, I can't erase/format/whatever the card; Those options are all grayed out in Disk Utilities, and trying to do it through the terminal (like in that guide) tells me I don't have permission or whatever

When the micro-SD is inserted in the Nook Color and hooked up to my Macbook, I can do that stuff. However, it didn't seem to work as per the guide (it got to the installation screen but then turned off and had B&N stuff on the SD card)

How come Disk Utilities won't let me do anything with the card? Is it something to do with the adapter?

edit: and yes I have the SD card switch on unlocked

Garlic Bread on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Could be? Where's the "lock" switch on the adaptor set?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

But you lost your optical drive right?

Yeah. Which is the way they seem to be going. I wouldn't be surprised if the next MBP is in the current chassis with the cd slot removed.

919UOwT.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    while the current chassis looks really nice, I'd be grateful if they came up with a way to get rid of the sharp corners, or at least the ones my hands/wrists come into contact with.

KalTorak wrote: »
    while the current chassis looks really nice, I'd be grateful if they came up with a way to get rid of the sharp corners, or at least the ones my hands/wrists come into contact with.

Yeah. A simple 45-degree angled bevel would solve all those issues, and still look great.

So, anyone know what a mid 2010 Core2Duo 13" MacBook Pro with a bad logic board is worth? Mine just went and I had to get a new 13" to replace it immediatley due to school. I figure someone will want it for parts if I put it on Craigslist.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    roughly i would say 2-300 but that could be way off

camo_sig.png
    mts wrote: »
    roughly i would say 2-300 but that could be way off

Yeah, I'm gonna toss it up on Craigslist for $300 and see what happens.

The i5 is nice, but I'll just sell this one for close to what I paid when the new 15"s come out. Luckily I had the cash in the bank to get this.

i would say price it higher than you think and the worse that happens is you have to lower your price. though you can add the Portland Hipster apple tax to it and probably get a little more :rotate:

camo_sig.png
    mts wrote: »
    i would say price it higher than you think and the worse that happens is you have to lower your price. though you can add the Portland Hipster apple tax to it and probably get a little more :rotate:

Already sold it for $300. ; )

edited May 2012
    Nevermind. Figured it out.

Esh on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    so guys I come to you in times of need. My new work computer just arrived, I'm transitioning to the i7 1.8ghz macbook air with the 256gig SSD

I'm going to bootcamp on here and do 128gigs for each OS. I'm good on windows but I'll be using the mac side much more often than I normally do (I have been using a iMac for years as a mac troubleshooting machine but not as my primary workstation) and I need suggestions on software and whatever is essential!

I use Alfred but beyond that I'm really a blank slate as, again, I don't use MacOS too much anymore these days. So what are your suggestions!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I like my MBP (2011), but, battery life aside, my MSI FX420 is a lot more powerful, and has a lot more features, it's not really much bigger and not noticeably heavier.

OTOH, there is no laptop casing that comes close to the unibody aluminum sexyness.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    i am wondering if i need new battery in my macbook (08 i think, version 5,1) battery life is atrocious and barely manage 2ish hours on it. granted i have 8GB of ram and i put in a scorpio blue, but it should last longer than that i reckon. has 847 cycles on it and it says condition is normal

i forget the criteria apple uses

camo_sig.png
    maybe there's a essential software post i'm missing, anybody know of one?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Dropbox, Caffeine, Self Control, Pidgin, VLC...

What do you do with it? That'll help for recommendations.

no clue i was more looking for cool mac programs i might not have ever heard of before (Caffeine is a perfect example for instance)

I need a good IM client (i heard adium?), something better than textedit I suppose, something a bit more fully featured than Terminal would be good for SSHing, and anything else people just think is cool on the mac that might not be available anywhere else

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Adium is pretty nice.

Watts is kind of nice, itll remind you to recalibrate your battery.

• elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    Notational Velocity or nvALT for text editing. Sparrow is great if you use GMail. Reeder for RSS. the official Twitter app isn't perfect but probably the best one available right now, until Tweetbot comes out.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Dropbox, Caffeine, Self Control, Pidgin, VLC...

What do you do with it? That'll help for recommendations.

Caffeine is without a doubt the first app I install. Always.

Seconding Sparrow; running it on both the Mac and my iPhone. Perfect for using Gmail features that are annoying to use with regular clients.

DoublePane is a pretty niche app - it lets you quickly maximize a window, or put it on the left/right half of the screen if you need two windows side by side. I use it a lot when coding - console on one side, editor on the other.

Augh, I meant Adium, not Pidgin. Adium is has a lot of great skins and themes for it. Bowtie is pretty cool as well.

• floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    - Transmission (for torrents)
    - unrarx (opens .rar files)
    - CCleaner (it exists for OS X, and it does a pretty good job cleaning crap up)
    - Libreoffice (open source office suite... definitely worth downloading if you don't use Office or iWork but can see yourself needing an office suite occasionally)
    - Tuxguitar (good open source guitar tab reader/editor)
    - iStat Pro widget (great system monitor for the Dashboard)
    - Virtualbox (should you decide that booting into Windows separately is a pain in the ass)

floobie on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    I need a good IM client (i heard adium?), something better than textedit I suppose, something a bit more fully featured than Terminal would be good for SSHing, and anything else people just think is cool on the mac that might not be available anywhere else

I'm a big fan of Adium for IM. Especially since I can connect it to my twitter and use it for facebook chat.

If you want something for ssh-ing.. filezilla is pretty nice. Turns all ssh transfer into drag and drop.

Check out TextWrangler if you want an alternative to TextEdit. Its especially great if you have to do any coding.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    Handbrake - for ripping your DVDs