As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game of Thrones 2nd ed. - Game 1 - My kingdom for a barrel

• sartorisartori WA, USARegistered User regular
    MrBody wrote: Β»
    Yeah I was just wondering why the need for ships when they already had a close direct land route to King's Landing. Then for some reason they needed Greyjoy's ships when Greyjoy is on the wrong side of the continent. That's like starting in Genoa, Italy and sailing all the way around to Venice instead of just traveling from Verona. Clearly this confusion is hindering my enjoyment of prostitute acting lessons!

So which House does the inappropriate breast feeding lady belong to? Was Tyrell the one with the butch chick knight?

Like Darian said: because King's Landing is a port city heavily fortified by land, simultaneously assaulting the harbor is pretty much required unless you want to have a very long siege (months). You can't starve the city out by land because they can just get resupplied at sea. I also think Robb would assault Lannisport before King's Landing, and he would probably want a navy for that as well.

The breast feeding lady is Lysa Arryn, Cat's sister and Lady of the Eyrie. The butch chick is Brienne of Tarth, a minor house that I think is sworn to Tyrell.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Tarth is sworn to Baratheon, actually. The island of Tarth, their demesne, is in Shipbreaker Bay. Tyrell is a Great House, but I think so far the only characters we've seen in the show are Loras Tyrell, Renly's boyfriend (and foster brother) and Margaery Tyrell, Renly's wife (and foster sister). And of course the majority of Renly's army are Tyrell bannermen. Basically, the Tyrell faction in the game represents Renly, and it's weird that Baratheon has the Renly house card.

Edit: ah, mustering, excellent. Maybe I can keep my fleet then.

jakobagger on
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I would figure they'd have mustering go in reverse throne order, since it's a disadvantage to place first. Odd that it's in regular order since that means - when it comes to mustering - it's a bad thing to hold the Iron Throne.

MrBody on
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I would figure they'd have mustering go in reverse throne order, since it's a disadvantage to place first. Odd that it's in regular order.

I guess it's mostly about consistency - the Iron Throne decides turn order, period. I mean occassionally it's also a disadvantage moving first in the march phase, if you want to stall. Some players prefer to be in last place. Personally I like being able to strike first, epsecially with raids. Apart from that, there are also situations where mustering first is an advantage, specifically when two players can both muster ships into the same sea area (eg. Flint's Finger and Winterfell in Bay of Ice).

This thread is really bringing out the nerd in me.

jakobagger on
    edited April 2012
    It's really weird watching movies or shows based on nerdy fantasy books if you haven't read the books. I was totally lost on who was who in the show (aside from knowing all blond people are evil) until checked this game out, just like I was totally lost with the Lord of the Rings movies (aside from knowing Frodo had to throw the ring into a volcano) until I played the videogames.
    Particularly I thought GoT season 1 was weird. Was that all the first book? Seems the overall story (civil war politicking) didn't even start until the finale. Just like they started with the death of the king's original hand, I thought they could have started with Sean Bean's death. Episode 1 he arrives in King's Landing and finds out the secret, episode 2 he's executed. Queue civil war by episode 3. Season 1's overall plot moved pretty slow while season 2 is throwing three or more new characters at you every scene.

MrBody on
    Well, maybe you should read the books then! Lord of the Rings and A Song of Ice and Fire are both fantastic. Unless you have some moral objection to reading books?

The books may have Tyrion Lannister, but they don't have Peter Dinklage. No dice!

edited April 2012
    If nothing else, try the audio books. I got my copies from the local library, and they are awesome for commuting even though I've read the series twice.

sartori on
    @Styyx to muster.

No stress or anything, just making sure you don't miss it.

Updated OP with the official FAQ. I also learned that I accidentally posted the first edition rulebook the first time around. That was corrected a couple days ago but I urge everyone to browse through it again.

I'm learning the first rule of hosting: take the amount of work you think it's going to take, then quadruple it! Then you'll still mess a bunch of things up.

So I was digging around, and found this fully functional Photoshop file under a PBEM resource center. Would people want to make the switch to that immediately, or stick the current map/"artwork"/cards setup we're using now (at least for the remainder of this game)?

• StyyxStyyx Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Muster 1 ship in the Golden Sound.
    Upgrade the footman in Lannisport to a siege tower.
    Upgrade the footman in Harrenhal to a Knight

Styyx on
    edited April 2012
    @Styyx to muster.

No stress or anything, just making sure you don't miss it.

And I am very stressed with your current position on the map.
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    Muster foot in Winterfell and ship to the shivering sea.

Can't you only muster ships in the sea space adjacent to a port?

Styyx on
    edited April 2012
    Okay, let me know what you think of this. Do you want to just use this format from now on?

boardnewturn2justboard.jpg

Detailed board + cards (this will replace checklists and power token counts)

MrBody on
    edited April 2012
    Thank christ for those fonts, they are so much easier to read. I like.

sartori on
    edited April 2012
    nm!

sartori on
    sartori wrote: Β»
    Thank christ for those fonts, they are so much easier to read. I like.

Yeah I guess we'll go with this from now on. In addition to the easier fonts, it's less work for me to update.

Question for this new format: for discarded House Cards, do you want me to just remove the card, or put a red "X" through the portraits so people can still see what each card does at all times?

edited April 2012
    Enough of my chatter.

Stark to muster.

MrBody on
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Winterfell: Muster ship to Bay of Ice and foot to Winterfell
    Muster Foot to White Harbor
    Muster Foot to Moat Cailin

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    hey just in time going to head out for the night soon.

Sunspear - muster 2 ships to east summer sea
    Starfall - muster footman
    Storms End - upgrade footman to knight

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Pyke: muster two ships in Ironman's Bay.
    Flint's Finger: upgrade footman to knight.
    Seagard: muster knight
    Riverrun: muster knight.

Ships can be mustered in any free sea area adjacent to the mustering stronghold, or in a port if there is one. So Winterfell has three different places to muster ships to.

jakobagger on
    edited April 2012
    Just a friendly reminder that Greyjoy and Stark are at their current supply limits and may only support additional lone units.

MrBody on

Ships can be mustered in any free sea area adjacent to the mustering stronghold, or in a port if there is one. So Winterfell has three different places to muster ships to.

So you can muster a ship out of any stronghold? Are you sure?

Styyx wrote: Β»

Any stronghold or castle adjacent to water, yes. The advantage of ports is you can muster ships there even if the sea area is blocked by enemy ships. But otherwise ports are not needed to build ships.

Styyx wrote: Β»

Any stronghold or castle adjacent to water, yes. The advantage of ports is you can muster ships there even if the sea area is blocked by enemy ships. But otherwise ports are not needed to build ships.

Yah I guess I just misread the rules on that one.

edited April 2012
    Man sorry for missing that reshuffle card text, this turns has been kind of rough going.

Once Tyrell musters we will get back to bidding.

To speed things along, post here if you wish to keep your old Iron Throne bid the same or if you're planning on changing it. I will be keeping mine the same.

MrBody on
  • HarlonHarlon Registered User regular
    Oldtown: Upgrade Footman to Knight, Muster Footman
    Highgarden: Muster two Ships to the West Summer Sea

3DS FC 1048-9228-8841
    Man sorry for missing that reshuffle card text, this turns has been kind of rough going.

Once Tyrell musters we will get back to bidding.

To speed things along, post here if you wish to keep your old Iron Throne bid the same or if you're planning on changing it. I will be keeping mine the same.

Keeping old Iron Throne bid.

edited April 2012
    Harlon wrote: Β»
    Oldtown: Upgrade Footman to Knight, Muster Footman

So mustering a knight in other words :p

boardturn2.jpg

Clash of Kings bidding resumes. Everyone send me their Iron Throne track bid. (those shield markers under everyone's house cards are everyone's available power tokens.

MrBody on
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Keeping old bid.

38thDoE on steam

• Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    bid is in

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    All bids received.

Greyjoy - 5
    Baratheon - 2
    Lannister - 2
    Tyrell - 1
    Stark - 0
    Martell - 0

Current Throne holder Baratheon decrees himself over Lannister and Stark over Martell.

Greyjoy receives Iron Throne marker.

Current power totals:

Greyjoy - 0
    Baratheon - 3
    Lannister - 3
    Tyrell - 3
    Stark - 4
    Martell - 4

Proceed to Fiefdom track bidding. All bids to me.

MrBody on
    @38thDoe for Fiefdom track bid

Bid Posted!

38thDoE on steam

All bids received.

Lannister - 1
    Tyrell - 0
    Stark - 0
    Martell - 0
    Greyjoy - 0
    Baratheon - 0

Current Throne holder Greyjoy to determine order of ties.

Man, Lannister got that far too cheap, you guys. Oh well, a lot of the blame lies with me I guess.

Anyway, first to last: Greyjoy - Stark - Martell - Baratheon - Tyrell

Current power token count:

Greyjoy - 0
    Baratheon - 3
    Lannister - 2
    Tyrell - 3
    Stark - 4
    Martell - 4

Proceed to King's Court track bidding. All bids to me.

Are we playing the version where there are specific consequences for winning and losing the wildling card? Do we find out what those are since the card was flipped or? On hand tracker it just says wildings attack.

38thDoE on steam

Are we playing the version where there are specific consequences for winning and losing the wildling card? Do we find out what those are since the card was flipped or? On hand tracker it just says wildings attack.

The card that just says wildlings attack is the Westeros card. After we bid to stop the wildlings, we flip the topmost wildling card to see what the consequences of our victory/defeat are.

ah, okay, and Lannister already knows what that is because of the raven.

38thDoE on steam

ah, okay, and Lannister already knows what that is because of the raven.

I actually don't know; I decided to put the first Wilding Card I looked at on to the bottom of the deck.