As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xenoblade Chronicles] The Incredible Shulk MARK YOUR GODDAMN SPOILERS

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Yeah the battles are incredibly noisy and hard to keep up with. I basically have no sense of the numbers that appear and how much HP is a lot of HP. I just glance at HP bars whenever I have the time and if I see someone on the left has a red frame it's healing time.

sig.gif
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I generally try to heal if I see a big space in the bar.

I have no idea how much ether I have or what some of the other bars mean

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    There's ether in this game? Wait you mean the group attack bar at the top? I thought ether was just an element that some attacks have.

So far my "strategy" is, if there's a circle that's lit up, I click it. Except for healing, which is reserved for emergencies, and aggro reduction which is used when I have nothing else to do and some aggro on Shulk. Reyn seems to have a lot more options at his disposal but I let the computer handle that. I try to circle around and get behind baddies when possible because I know that makes my attacks better.

Speaking of which, if I'm behind an enemy, does an effect that works when attacking from the side also kick in, or do I really have to be on the left or right?

sig.gif
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    There's ether in this game? Wait you mean the group attack bar at the top? I thought ether was just an element that some attacks have.

So far my "strategy" is, if there's a circle that's lit up, I click it. Except for healing, which is reserved for emergencies, and aggro reduction which is used when I have nothing else to do and some aggro on Shulk. Reyn seems to have a lot more options at his disposal but I let the computer handle that. I try to circle around and get behind baddies when possible because I know that makes my attacks better.

Speaking of which, if I'm behind an enemy, does an effect that works when attacking from the side also kick in, or do I really have to be on the left or right?

you have to actually be on the left or right

there is some overlap, though, so if you're behind and to the left both will work

I think there is ether. I mean there is stuff that boosts your ether. Though now that I think about it, maybe it just means the efficacy of those stats and not a mana pool.

I'm only a few hours into the game, and I'm waiting until I go to the store and pick up those cables before I play any more

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    Yeah I mean attacks just work on cooldown. The only meters you have to manage are your HP, group attack/revive bar and your focus attack. There's not an MP number anywhere. The Ether stat is essentially your INT.

sig.gif
    oh, well I was wondering if I was just missing it because there are a couple things I do not understand, visually, yet

I understand the theory, but it's just kind of overwhelming to act intelligently under pressure in the middle of battle.

sig.gif
    Man there was one battle I was just fucking up all over the place. Kept dying even though it should have been an okay battle for me.

Turns out there were some pretty important things I was forgetting re: battling like focusing on one guy and also a thing that lets my party members attack the mechon

Got the cables. It Is indeed less muddy and gross looking.

Also is there any reason for me to hold onto materials and collectibles instead of just selling them all? I've already been filling out the collectipedia whenever I get the chance, so I know I don't need to worry about that

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    If you don't care about trading with NPCs (I've never bothered with that mechanic) then sure, gold is really easy to stockpile and your inventory is so huge that you can do whatever you want. Having a lot of cash makes getting expensive armour and arts manuals easier (ps arts manuals have to be consumed in the inventory menu, that threw me off for a bit).

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    The items with ! on them are side quest items but again, I rarely found a need to do side quests.

• WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    I need to keep going forward in the story.

But I still have uncompleted sidequests!

But I've already done so many that I'm 10 levels ahead of everything!

But I still have uncompleted sidequests!

My god Sharla put some clothes on. You're embarrassing yourself.

When you put a Chest Plate on her, it covers everything except her chest.

sig.gif
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Fuck any quest where you have to find a person. I've been toting Desiree's watch and Jui[....]'s biscuits around for like 6 game hours because I can't find them.

Delzhand wrote: »
    Fuck any quest where you have to find a person. I've been toting Desiree's watch and Jui[....]'s biscuits around for like 6 game hours because I can't find them.

http://xenoblade.wikia.com/

sig.gif
    edited April 2012
    My god Sharla put some clothes on. You're embarrassing yourself.

When you put a Chest Plate on her, it covers everything except her chest.

Oh my god this.

I have been waiting for new pants armor for her for the past 5 hours HOW IS A BIKINI BOTTOM EVEN REMOTELY USEFUL IN A COMBAT SITUATION IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE

Whyther on
    Protect yourself from harm with this "swimming oil". Yeah, go on, just rub it all over. Slowly.

You weren't aware about the defensive properties of oil/mist?

I was but I thought it applied to UV rays, not mechanical spiders and feral animals

Armour and weapons are a fickle thing in this game.

Because it's really cool that that stuff shows up in cutscenes but what you are finding swings back and forth between cool to fine to ridiculous.

I have honestly rejected certain superior armour pieces because of how dumb they look.

Yeah there is a helmet right now I have Rayn wearing that looks fucking ridiculous.

I should switch that shit out.

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I keep thinking I should put better stuff on Shulk (I currently have him in all Stellar gear), but I either don't have all the pieces of a set or it looks dumb.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    Yeah there is a helmet right now I have Rayn wearing that looks fucking ridiculous.

Is that the one with the spiked headdress

I cracked up the first time I equipped it and saw what Reyn looked like

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Yes.

Yes it is.

Also I guess it is interesting that the same stuff looks different on different people?

Artreus on
    Reyn is too far gone for me.

Nothing I find is sensible anymore for him.

Am I dumb for not really caring where my stuff goes in the skill trees because very few of the skills seem all that interesting?

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »

Is that the one with the spiked headdress

I cracked up the first time I equipped it and saw what Reyn looked like

ME TOO

god that helmet is ridiculous

edited April 2012
    How important is tension?

Seeing as how it is only ever explained in the game's instruction manual and literally nowhere else I'm assuming not much?

And for that matter: How and why does it go up and down?

Whyther on
    Tension is essentially the morale of your team members, as shown by how psyched/bummed out their portrait is. If they're hanging their hand in shame with purple behind them their tension is at its lowest point and you can get next to them and press B to give them a morale boost. Fire behind their portrait represents the highest level of tension.

It can increase from a well-timed burst affinity (those B button QTEs that pop up during battle) and it can drop if they needed to be revived or if they are hit with a powerful enough attack.

I'm not sure about what else it effects but I know that if your tension is low your accuracy drops dramatically.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    high tension = high crit rate, high acc, and I think evasion. Low reduces those things.

It also increases the odds of a chain attack continuing beyond 3 attacks.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Cool! That makes a lot of sense.

I don't know how I went this long without noticing/wondering what those QTEs were for

Those QTEs can also boost affinity (hence their name) so they're handy in the long-run too.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    You can also boost affinity by gifting team members those collectables you've been picking up

So don't sell them

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Reyn's big-ass spiky helmet looks slightly less dumb when you outfit him with a full heavy armor. Still pretty dumb though.

One thing I love about the game is they make even their dungeon crawls interesting by having frequent cut-scenes. Also, since I'm overleveled for everything, I don't have to stop to fight ants and shit and that helps the pace tremendously (makes up for how I slowed the pace down to a crawl earlier with all those quests).

sig.gif
  • PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    I admit it, I do the quests for the collective affinity, just to see if I can make everyone friends.

Oh wow holy shit it doesn't feel like I'm far into the game at all

but I've already put 20 hours into it how the hell did that happen.

sig.gif
    Piotyr wrote: »

Same. I'm about 24 hours in and just waiting for a thunderstorm...

Go to the time selection screen and advance the time one hour at a time. You'll get one in a couple minutes.

sig.gif
  • PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Same. I'm about 24 hours in and just waiting for a thunderstorm on the Bionis Leg...

Piotyr on
    On the other hand, it feels like I could've gotten to this point, if I'd just run straight to every story flag, in under 10 hours, so it seems like this game really is just as long as you want it to be.

sig.gif