As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] 2007: II

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Make ProBowlers players play Wipeout.

• ryvenryven Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    We took a safety in the top 10 . I am kind of sad . Wanted Claiborne.

im a bucs fan too - don't worry, we'll be more than happy with barron. he fills a huge need and will solidify it

we also traded back into the first for doug martin, who could potentially take over blounts starting job down the line. so id say we did pretty well and filled two huge holes with good talent

ryven on
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Okay, after doing some reading...

What were the Jets thinking with that Coples pick?

I haven't done any reading yet, but that doesn't sound like you read anything good. D:

• fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    He was like the fourth best (Griffin, Jones, Weeden) quarterback in his conference last year, so... no, no he is not.

Though the Weeden pick is also awful. Dude is 28.

Kurt Warner was 27 when he was signed by the Rams.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    fortis wrote: »
    He was like the fourth best (Griffin, Jones, Weeden) quarterback in his conference last year, so... no, no he is not.

and Chris Weinke was 28

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    y2jake215 wrote: »

and Chris Weinke was 28

And Warner had been a pro in the Arena league for several years. And he was signed for free, not a first round pick.

Weeden = 2 years older than Jamarcus Russel.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Make ProBowlers players play Starcraft, Marvel vs Capcom, and Competitive Karaoke.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    As a 'Boys fan, I appreciate their attempts, so far, to sure up their defensive coverage. But as a 'Boys fan, I view every move made by our "GM" as a time bomb.

In regards to the Pro Bowl, I agree it should just be canned. It's really just a farce at this point. I was going to suggest just having a glorified skills competition, but then I realized that would just be "The Combine: Pro Edition". Plus they already do this around the Pro Bowl anyhow, on like ESPN: The Ocho.

Decoy on
  • fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »

and Chris Weinke was 28

And Warner had been a pro in the Arena league for several years. And he was signed for free, not a first round pick.

Weeden = 2 years older than Jamarcus Russel.

Yeah, the arena league, lots of real competition right there. And how do you know the Browns would have picked someone better if they hadn't chosen Weeden? Thats right, you don't. Nobody does. The draft is a pretty stupid thing to judge at the time it happens.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I just don't see Weeden being much better than McCoy with the same staff around him, but I guess we will see.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Apparently Mayhew has decided your secondary is irrelevant if you score all the points throwing the ball?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Whoa TB being aggressive. This all feels so new and strange.

• pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Apparently Mayhew has decided your secondary is irrelevant if you score all the points throwing the ball?

I really don't understand this pick at all. I'm calling it now: RB in the 3rd round. No corners until round 7

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Happy with Miami's draft so far. Don't know our second and third rounders for who they are, but know we needed a OT and DE

Martin is excellent. Vernon meh.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Man, my 49ers are on a trade roll so far....

Current draft remaining:

4th, 5th, 6th, 6th (Colts), 6th (Carolina), 7th

Next year:
    1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd (from Panthers), 4th, 5th, 5th (from Colts), 6th, 7th, 7th (from Bengals)

Ten picks next year? Sure a lot of late picks but they can always be packaged to move up. Not bad for a team that's pretty well stocked already. :D

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    The skins picked up another QB?

camo_sig2.png
    Heir wrote: »

One who is not that great, but every member of the media loves.

(Again, bias warning applies)

• YallYall Registered User regular
    So happy with the Bills draft. We might actually make the post season this year!

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

I think it's mostly that they just get tired of talking about whoever the actual top prospects are (or possibly, tired of hearing todd mcshay talk about them)

so when they get the opportunity to talk about a different quarterback for a few minutes they just get excited

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Nate Ebner to the Pats. Little note on him. The ESPN scouts went through and gave the draft class ratings, like they do every year. Unless you have ESPN Insider, you only get to see the rating of a player once someone's taken him. They are as follows:
    90-100 Rare Prospect
    Player demonstrates rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. Is a premier college player that has all the skill to take over a game and play at a championship level. He rates in the top 5 players in the nation at his position and is considered a first round draft prospect.

80-89 Outstanding Prospect
    Player has abilities to create mismatches versus most opponents in the NFL. A feature player that has an impact on the outcome of the game. Cannot be shut down by a single player and plays on a consistent level week in and week out. He rates in the top 10 at his position and is considered a second round draft prospect.

70-79 Solid Prospect
    Still a standout player at the college level that is close to being an elite player. He has no glaring weaknesses and will usually win his individual matchups, but does not dominate in every game, especially when matched up against the top players in the country. He will usually rate in the top third of players at his position and is considered a third round draft prospect.

60-69 Good Prospect
    This player is an good starter that will give a solid effort week in and week out, but he is overmatched versus the better players in the nation. His weaknesses will be exposed against top competition. He is usually a prospect that is missing something from his game. For example, he has the size and skills to be an outstanding prospect, but lacks the speed. He will usually rate in the top half of the players at his position and is considered a middle round draft choice.

50-59 Adequate Prospect
    These are usually players that play at a high level in college, but lack some measurables or skills to play at that same level in the NFL. He may be a player that has a lot of developmental qualities, or could be a player that will contribute right away on special teams or in a situational capacity. He will usually rate in the second-third at his position and is considered a fifth round draft choice.

21-49 Borderline Draft Prospect
    These are players that teams like something about, but certainly do not have the full package in terms of NFL talent. A lot of times, teams will take chances on character players or developmental type athletes with this grade. And often, these are players that come from smaller schools or did not standout at the college level. NFL teams are looking for 'diamonds in the rough' with this type of prospect. He will usually rate in the bottom third of players at his position and will be considered a late round draft choice or un-drafted free agent.

20 Free Agent Prospect
    These are players that did not make our original 'evaluation list' but are prospects that need to be monitored. Especially in the pre-season, these players will fluctuate up and down depending on performance in their final year of eligibility.

10 Not a legitimate Prospect
    These are players that lack NFL measurables and/or skills. They are players that we feel would not even make a solid contribution as a training camp body.

Andrew Luck got a 99. Robert Griffin, Trent Richardson and Morris Claiborne got 97's. Bruce Irvin and Kirk Cousins got 83. Brandon Weeden got 86. Terrence Ganaway, a pick by the Jets just now, got a 47, about normal for the 6th round.

Nate Ebner was so lightly regarded that the ESPN scouts didn't even bother giving him a number.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    seems more likely to have just been an oversight than anything

ed: also, why does espn's draft widget thing show some of the later rounds having more than 32 picks? Shouldn't there be 32 picks in every round?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Considering that the ESPN on-air crew was totally flummoxed by the mentioning of his name and were making jokes about him being in triple-digits on the depth chart of that position...

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    doing a little bit of messageboard reading, he's apparently a rugby player who walked on at ohio state as a junior and got scholarship'd as a senior. Mostly a practice player, had single digit tackles on special teams both years

seems like nothing more than a shot in the dark, but supposedly he's a physical beast

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    seems more likely to have just been an oversight than anything

ed: also, why does espn's draft widget thing show some of the later rounds having more than 32 picks? Shouldn't there be 32 picks in every round?

Compensatory picks awarded by the league when a player leaves get added on at the end of rounds.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
    doing a little bit of messageboard reading, he's apparently a rugby player who walked on at ohio state as a junior and got scholarship'd as a senior. Mostly a practice player, had single digit tackles on special teams both years

seems like nothing more than a shot in the dark, but supposedly he's a physical beast

The Pats could have gotten him in the post-draft free agenct flurry if they wanted. That's a guy that if you want him at any point before, during or after the draft, the other 31 teams are going to go 'All yours, buddy' and then run away snickering.

maybe they thought some other team would draft him, who knows

also I somehow forgot the nfl does compensatory picks, I guess. I dunno why I thought it didn't

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    Pleasantly surprised by the Bengal's draft. A lot of talent that was predicted to go much higher until recently falling to them. Still, the Bengals have been a bad enough team drafting that when they draft someone you like, instead of being happy you start to wonder if everyone was just wrong about the player.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Gosling wrote: »

The Pats could have gotten him in the post-draft free agenct flurry if they wanted. That's a guy that if you want him at any point before, during or after the draft, the other 31 teams are going to go 'All yours, buddy' and then run away snickering.

Hey, remember Stephen Neal? Pats saw something in him despite not even playing football in college. Can't write Ebner off yet

and I mean, if you want the guy, take him. They probably just didn't like anyone else there, and why not. Will end up cutting those guys eventually

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular

I don't think there's a huge shot at Cousins evolving into a beastly NFL QB, but he's decent, and makes sense if the Skins want to vet another traditional QB in case RG3 goes down with an injury. I was (biasedly) hoping the Broncos would take Cousins, but I'm ok with where he went.

Undrafted free agents being tracked here. A few names are already on the board.

Cousins is not as bad as Michigan fans think he is, but he's not nearly as good as MSU fans think he is either. He's a perfectly decent middle of the road QB that won't go losing you games, but I wouldn't rest my hopes on him putting you on your back and winning them either.

Kellen Moore has gone to Detroit. Still waiting on Case Keenum.

edited April 2012
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Cousins is not as bad as Michigan fans think he is, but he's not nearly as good as MSU fans think he is either. He's a perfectly decent middle of the road QB that won't go losing you games, but I wouldn't rest my hopes on him putting you on your back and winning them either.

This is actually basically my opinion and most Michigan fans. We're just annoyed by the media anointing him the greatest leader since Eisenhower. And giving him too much credit for the utter disaster that was Michigan football in the Rodriguez era. In normal times, we're 3-1 against MSU while he started (Rodriguez kind of failed hard at recruiting Michigan) and no one gives a shit.

enlightenedbum on
    edited April 2012
    Case Keenum goes to the Texans. He doesn't leave town.

EDIT: And Vontaze Burfict falls from potential first-rounder to undrafted 'oh, okay, fine' tryout with Cincinnati. Of course it's Cincinnati.

Gosling on
    edited April 2012
    Gosling wrote: »

EDIT: And Vontaze Burfict falls from potential first-rounder to undrafted 'oh, okay, fine' tryout with Cincinnati. Of course it's Cincinnati.

We have a reputation to maintain. With Simpson gone, underperformer-who-can't-stay-off-the-weed was an area of need this draft.

Tiger Burning on
    Congrats to Pitt, who had 0 players drafted.

edited April 2012
    No, no. Congrats to UCLA, who had more players declare without getting any of them drafted (13) than any other college. Pitt is second with 11. (Portland St. and Washington St. are tied for 3rd with 9. Yes, I went and looked.)

UCLA and Pitt both have four undrafted free agents at the moment. Washington St. has two. Portland St. has one.

Gosling on
    I don't understand why kirk cousins goes in the fourth but kellen moore goes undrafted

not that I'm some QB savant or something, but moore was pretty great with a supporting cast that can't have been much better (if at all) than cousins'.

NREqxl5.jpg
    Boise was way more talented than MSU. Though I mostly agree.

This discussion has been closed.