As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

D'aww [chat]

1828384858688»

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    "babe, but I haven't played video games in five days! I need to Bro box tmmw"

Her: "is there a hashtage more trivial than firstworldproblems?"

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    My brother wrecked his car the other day and it burned to the ground. So there's that.

Daaaang. Get rear-ended and the fuel tank went or what?

nibXTE7.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Also depending on your placement you may end up in a town in the middle of no where with nothing to do after work till the weekend because you are so far away from everything. In fact I know two people when I lived there placed like that.

Small town Japan is incredibly boring. I lived in one as well. I was lucky enough to be able to ride to Tokyo and Kofu on the weekends and some weeknights but you might not be that lucky. Basically I am saying be prepared for a lot of boring time if you aren't in a big city.

And sometimes if you are because of work hours and such.

That's true, I have no idea where I might end up.

That said I'll pass the time banging women eitherway. :P

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    My life became a lot more productive when I started making long term "to-do" lists with dependencies structured like RPG quest journals.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

Stone.
    Cold.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Just got in a car accident 100 feet from my house. Not sure who was at fault, but probably me. Absolutely terrifying. No major damage to either car but her driver side door is all fucked up. Christ fucking christ.

sorry to hear that man. Got insurance? Have you called them? Did you file a police report? Are you OK physically? Is the other person OK?
    Everyone is fine. We live like 400 feet away from each other. Police did an accident report at the scene. No one was hurt, just shaken up. I've never been in an accident, so it was terrifying and my heart won't stop pounding. We both have insurance and I filed a claim. Ugh. Our streets need stop signs like hella bad. Twice I've almost been in a wreck outside my house but this time it actually fucking happened.
    My brother wrecked his car the other day and it burned to the ground. So there's that.

Jesus, is everyone all right? That's nutty.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

i saw some instagram pics <3

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    My life became a lot more productive when I started making long term "to-do" lists with dependencies structured like RPG quest journals.

give me an example

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

Stone.
    Cold.

Mrs Deebaser don't fuck round

• Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    Am I really procrastinating the reading of a comic book?

yGxvf.png
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

give me an example

I know right.

This is the sort of thing that could assist me.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    Organichu wrote: »

Syndalis took some goodies

*sigh* Why is this teacher demanding that we print out a huge picture of our food to show the class. I'd much rather print out like 5-6 small pictures and pass them around the class.

I get the feeling that kinkos is about to rip my dick off.

Organichu wrote: »

Syndalis took some goodies

are you home or phone posting

my aunt always doubles up on words that end with 'ed'

so it's wanteded, neededed, etc

Phone posting, waiting for the after party to start

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i will not hear a bad word about the music in this game

it's... it's... fine

give me an example

It's half mental with bits on paper. So, I have long term objectives like "Finish decorating this house" and "Obtain degree" broken into subtasks. The trick is to keep breaking stuff down into progressively smaller steps until you have stuff you can grapple with on a day-to-day scale. For me, there are two main reasons this is useful: 1) I have terrible planning paralysis - I don't like starting stuff unless I have a clear idea how I'm going to finish it. This is a serious problem for objectives where parts of the plan depend on what happens when you try to implement earlier parts of the plan, and 2) having stuff I can do right now and know it moves me towards an objective is motivation to actually do stuff rather than kill time.

give me an example

It's half mental with bits on paper. So, I have long term objectives like "Finish decorating this house" and "Obtain degree" broken into subtasks. The trick is to keep breaking stuff down into progressively smaller steps until you have stuff you can grapple with on a day-to-day scale. For me, there are two main reasons this is useful: 1) I have terrible planning paralysis - I don't like starting stuff unless I have a clear idea how I'm going to finish it. This is a serious problem for objectives where parts of the plan depend on what happens when you try to implement earlier parts of the plan, and 2) having stuff I can do right now and know it moves me towards an objective is motivation to actually do stuff rather than kill time.

hmmm interesting

i may try this

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I use a similar system, too. It feeds the completionist in me.

Edit: for my brain think good.

thatassemblyguy on
    Actually to give you concrete examples, if my life really were an RPG, my current active quest steps would be:

-The Double Pulsar activity that I need to do for my uni course
    -To sort and store the tools that are lying out from the last round of decorating

Basically things that are very difficult to put off because everything I need to do them is right there.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    So this Tribes thing.

How does it work?

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Also depending on your placement you may end up in a town in the middle of no where with nothing to do after work till the weekend because you are so far away from everything. In fact I know two people when I lived there placed like that.

Small town Japan is incredibly boring. I lived in one as well. I was lucky enough to be able to ride to Tokyo and Kofu on the weekends and some weeknights but you might not be that lucky. Basically I am saying be prepared for a lot of boring time if you aren't in a big city.

my my aren't we confident that we wont get labeled as a loser weeaboo gaijin.

give me an example

hmmm interesting

i may try this

For me it's basically just a useful mental tool to force myself to focus on the task in front of me rather than trying to wrap my head around the long term objective.

WHOEVER IT IS THAT KEEPS TAKING THE USERNAME QUID I WILL FIND YOU AND END YOU.

Elendil wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    i think it's probably Quid

I'LL KILL HIM/HER

Inquisitor wrote: »

my my aren't we confident that we wont get labeled as a loser weeaboo gaijin.

Very :D

Quid: Download it, and then shoot mans and capture flags while going real fast.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Perspective:
    “I feel sad he be going to jail, even though he committed atrocities,” says Paye Sendolo, 42, from Monrovia. “Why does Liberia never get to have ex-president? They are all killed and now he’s in prison, taken from us too.” In Liberia, sadly, patriotic shame about the country’s bloody past only seems to afflict those who had no control over it. What most Liberians yearn for is a normal past, present, and future. Normal countries have former presidents as statesmen. “Great men like Bush and Blair,” Sendolo adds, sadly ...

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
    Elendil wrote: »

No, I think it was Quid

You got the accent all wrong

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular

ronya wrote: »
    Perspective:
    “I feel sad he be going to jail, even though he committed atrocities,” says Paye Sendolo, 42, from Monrovia. “Why does Liberia never get to have ex-president? They are all killed and now he’s in prison, taken from us too.” In Liberia, sadly, patriotic shame about the country’s bloody past only seems to afflict those who had no control over it. What most Liberians yearn for is a normal past, present, and future. Normal countries have former presidents as statesmen. “Great men like Bush and Blair,” Sendolo adds, sadly ...

Damn.

That uh, that is depressing.

This discussion has been closed.