As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I'll roll a lancet then I suppose. Is race choice a huge deal? Because I really think I'd rather roll a loli to about the prudes, but if it well negatively impact my tanking I'd have to rethink that.

steam_sig.png
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    I'll roll a lancet then I suppose. Is race choice a huge deal? Because I really think I'd rather roll a loli to about the prudes, but if it well negatively impact my tanking I'd have to rethink that.

There are race specific abilities, but Elin make fine Lancers

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • AcidCatAcidCat Registered User regular
    I have to just say it once - TERA's combat is so, so much better than GW2's. I just thought for the longest time that GW2 would be some second coming, but TERA really surprised me, the combat model matters, honestly I think it is the most important thing to me in an MMO.

• couttscoutts Registered User regular
    Installing this right now, about 80% done, in terms of healing are both Priest and Mythic viable?

Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    coutts wrote: »
    Installing this right now, about 80% done, in terms of healing are both Priest and Mythic viable?

Yea, they're both pretty excellent afaik.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I thought I was supposed to get an earring and necklace for the CE preorder.
    Are they not in until launch either?

Rizzi on
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Earring yes, necklace no

Earring and gold lvl 35 rings you can redeem by going to item claim in the social menu

the necklace is a CE item and won't be available until launch.

Just like our goddamn lions.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Ah, that makes sense.

I want that lion so bad I can taste it.
    Lion flavor in my mouth.

• TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    Are there any EU-based guilds yet? I've been playing through up to Lumbertown on a sorceror and it's good fun but I'd prefer to play with good people really, and I'm keen to try out a ranger or a lancer

there were a few EU people in the thread but I wasn't sure how big the EU presence was for this game. If any of them can shed some light on that front I'd be more than glad to have it added to the OP

• ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    AcidCat wrote: »
    I have to just say it once - TERA's combat is so, so much better than GW2's. I just thought for the longest time that GW2 would be some second coming, but TERA really surprised me, the combat model matters, honestly I think it is the most important thing to me in an MMO.

Yeah really. I waited 5 years to play gw2, but now I can't even bother to play it after its first day of BWE. The combat is really that much more fun.

Well I'm on Velik, so if anyone else is playing on the EU servers and wants to join me I'll start a guild up there.

• BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular

This is how I'm finding it too. Now, there are like a million other things that make GW2 fantastic. But at the very base if it all, the combat is TERA is just better.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Tornelco wrote: »
    There were a ton of Sorcs in the starting zone today as I was leveling my archer, there is pretty much a universal tank shortage that spans all MMOs, If I had to pick 2 classes that are played the least I would say Berserker and Lancer (with archer as third). But this is all totally groundless guessing based on what I've seen.

I personally am very much enjoying my Archer, but it is disheartening to think that other Archers who have gotten to high levels might have reason to re-roll. I love their mobility on the battlefield, not to mention the very cool animations that come with different shots, jumps, and close-range attacks.

I will say that, while the evidence for a tank shortage is present (many groups advertising that they need a tank and then are 'gtg'), I see tons of Lancers running around. Also, groups advertising their need for DPS is quite common, giving me hope that this will be one game where maybe the shortage isn't quite so stark.

That said, I do also have my Lancer which I played a bit yesterday. For some reason, I couldn't quite get into it the way I did in the beta, though I'm not quite sure why. I basically felt like I was getting frustrated with things taking so long to die, so I'd stop blocking to try and burn them down, which meant I was taking too much damage. This is what happens after playing an Archer all day I suppose. :P

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    [€dit] hurf

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    I agree. You spend so much time in combat in an MMO. The combat system is incredibly important and Tera's is straight up better. At least at low levels, we'll see how it turns out at level cap

t5qfc9.jpg
    edited April 2012
    TPSou wrote: »
    Are there any EU-based guilds yet? I've been playing through up to Lumbertown on a sorceror and it's good fun but I'd prefer to play with good people really, and I'm keen to try out a ranger or a lancer

For all future Euro-Tera players, buy the American version from the Tera website and join the PA guild. It plays really well even from Europe and you'll end up with a much much better publisher for the game (En Masse) instead of the European one (Frogster)

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Zzulu wrote: »
    TPSou wrote: »

For all future Euro-Tera players, buy the American version from the Tera website and join the PA guild. It plays really well even from Europe and you'll end up with a much much better publisher for the game (En Masse) instead of the European one (Frogster)

But if you want to play the Euro Version, buy the Physical CE and sell me your map!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    Sadly it's a review copy so I didn't get a choice, I'm glad the EU servers do hav e a decent population at the moment though, lots going on. Also glad to hear people saying in some way Tera is better than GW2 so far, couldn't face putting down £50 for an MMO at the moment

• Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Eww, ellin archer, worst idea ever. The way they stomp their foot down every time they shoot makes me want to vomit.

Human archer, soo much better...

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
    So lancer isn't bad. I can see doing this. Admittedly combat starts off pretty boring, and this definitely isn't Vindictus/Dragon's Nest as far as fast paced and exacting combat goes.

On the other hand, man is it nice to not just be a 'click dude, wait til it dies' game. It's satisfying enough blocking and such.

steam_sig.png
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    Eww, ellin archer, worst idea ever. The way they stomp their foot down every time they shoot makes me want to vomit.

Human archer, soo much better...

I went with a castanic archer because the human archer didn't look like she was actually shooting a bow. Something about the basic attack animation just made me meh.

I did go human for my priest though. They get some amazing looking armor at end game.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    So anyone have any idea how well Warriors are accepted as Tanks?

I played a Warrior in the JP version up to around Lv12 and enjoyed it a lot. I want to be able to Tank though, but would hate it if all parties only want Lancers as tanks.

• MukkMukk Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well, I'd say that if you're able to tank well as a warrior, go for it. But it is more difficult and you'd have to be familiar with boss attacks and so on. Speaking from my very limited experience healing both lancers and warriors, the lancers seem better simply because they're easier to play. I won't say no to warrior tanks but I do expect a more difficult run.

Edit: I've heard that warriors are getting improvements to their tanking abilities.

Mukk on
  • JerechoJerecho Registered User regular
    Both tanks are getting a revamp, but no date yet.

I think you'll be fine tanking on warrior. Will a lancer be MORE accepted? Yeah, probably, especially at first. But a tank is a tank, and they're normally needed.

I've healed warrior tanks in guild and didn't have any problems. And they weren't even set up properly for tanking. Practice matters on that class though, def.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Mukk wrote: »
    Well, I'd say that if you're able to tank well as a warrior, go for it. But it is more difficult and you'd have to be familiar with boss attacks and so on. Speaking from my very limited experience healing both lancers and warriors, the lancers seem better simply because they're easier to play. I won't say no to warrior tanks but I do expect a more difficult run.

Edit: I've heard that warriors are getting improvements to their tanking abilities.

And really, I think this is one of the "problems" with skill based gameplay. If Lancer can tank with a much lower skill cap than warriors, people will (at least in pugs) want Lancer as their tank 99% of the time because the skill of your tank is going to be an unknown quantity. This is just in terms of straight up ability to survive, too, before getting into the fact that the warrior's mobile tanking makes it harder for the rest of the group to do *their* jobs.

So if you want both tanks to be "viable" (viable in terms of accepted by the broader playerbase) you have to change warrior and/or lancer so that they can be played effectively at similar skill levels, and this probably means damaging a number of things that make both of those classes unique and fun to begin with. It's kind of a catch 22.

You saw this a lot with WoW's various tanking classes (healers as well, really), and I'm really hoping it doesn't happen here.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    When using the LFD tool, Warriors queue as DPS...

Kinda makes me want to play one.

Steam
    It isn't really that lancer is 'easier', I mean they are both not what I'd call difficult. Definitely different styles, but a really good lancer/warrior are definitely much different then bad lancer/warrior.

The difference is in regards to everyone /else/, I feel.

A lancer just sits there. everyone piles up behind the mob and goes wild. Most dont have super regular/effective rear attacks.

Warriors aggro draw and stun are linked. Lancer has seperate aggro and stun mechanics. (Which is important when people draw more aggro at higher levels and you need to hold off on shout til the mob attention wanders a bit.)

Lancer can heal itself and healers have an easier time healing them since they just sit in one spot unless forcefully moved. Lancers have ways to move smaller adds towards them if one wanders off.

I think the big issue is people who play warrior either have to be as aware of their team as they are of themselves when dodging, or their team has to be used to a warrior tank so they aren't caught standing in the wrong place.

I dunno, I'd like to try a warrior tank at some point, but I think the lancer being able to effectively lock down an enemy into a one on one style confrontation while everyone else just does their thing is probably more useful as far as efficient dungeon runs.

steam_sig.png
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It isn't really that lancer is 'easier', I mean they are both not what I'd call difficult. Definitely different styles, but a really good lancer/warrior are definitely much different then bad lancer/warrior.

The difference is in regards to everyone /else/, I feel.

A lancer just sits there. everyone piles up behind the mob and goes wild. Most dont have super regular/effective rear attacks.

Warriors aggro draw and stun are linked. Lancer has seperate aggro and stun mechanics. (Which is important when people draw more aggro at higher levels and you need to hold off on shout til the mob attention wanders a bit.)

Lancer can heal itself and healers have an easier time healing them since they just sit in one spot unless forcefully moved. Lancers have ways to move smaller adds towards them if one wanders off.

I think the big issue is people who play warrior either have to be as aware of their team as they are of themselves when dodging, or their team has to be used to a warrior tank so they aren't caught standing in the wrong place.

I dunno, I'd like to try a warrior tank at some point, but I think the lancer being able to effectively lock down an enemy into a one on one style confrontation while everyone else just does their thing is probably more useful as far as efficient dungeon runs.

Not sure what level you are at yet but later on when you are fighting BAMs you will have to move a lot more. Not really to avoid their attacks since you can block mot of those, but because the BAMs themselves start jumping all over the place and you have to move around and pick them back up to keep aggro.

Lvl 20+ is where the game really starts to shine for all classes really.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    And fortunately it doesn't take very long to get there

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Those take a whole lot of killing for being lower level than you guys.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • TheRealDestianTheRealDestian Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Those take a whole lot of killing for being lower level than you guys.

Probably because we don't have any true DPS classes in the party.

One slayer would've made that take half the time.

Also, I posted it for the joke, which may have sounded funnier to my guildies at the time, heh...

TheRealDestian on
  • Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    Jesus, the Bams near the Elin city or whatever it is are BRUTAL for a warrior tank, or just melee in general. Extremely unpredictable and will one shot you with there little glowy eyes attack. Tried doing the quest for them with a group of melee and it just wasn't gonna happen.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    The fimwhatFUCKYOU dragon guys? Yeah, they are a piece of work.

I soloed that quest on my Slayer BARELY.

• jmiketjmiket Orlando, FlRegistered User regular
    This is B.Dad the bawdy berserker in game, and I just want everyone to know that the 9 minute estimated Bastion queue finally popped after only 40 minutes...

Nothing dropped for me, and being 25 it might've actually subtracted experience, but I did it! Thanks to the people who were almost guilted into running me through a couple hours ago. It would've been magic. I know how you worry...

Entering the queue as a DPS is bound to make the wait long. The avg is 9mins because for every 40min DPS wait there is a 30sec healer wait and an instant tank wait.

Steam
  • ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/classes/topics/LancersWarriors-Your-tanking-will-change-next-update-

Tanking changes.
    Crevox wrote:
    Be advised that next update, your tanking will change greatly. Lancers will no longer use mana for blocking, and warriors will no longer have a cooldown on their dodges. Instead, both will consume a new resource called stamina:

Warriors and Lancers will also have their tanking abilities tweaked a bit. Warriors may be looking at the possibility of gaining the ability to parry, as per popular player request.

Note that this update won't arrive in Korea until summer, and nothing is final. Everything could change.

This discussion has been closed.