As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Danger Doom or Gnarls Barkley: Too Big?

FTVFTV Registered User regular
edited August 2006 in PAX Archive
Just wondering if Danger Doom or Gnarls Barkley would draw too many people just to see them should either or both of the duos (umm, the trio?) end up performing some day at a PAX. (Danger Mouse, like MC Chris, is Adult Swim approved) I'm sure they won't be there this year, so I suppose it would depend on how big PAX will be next year. Anyway, I would probably explode in joy should I hear Danger Mouse and either of his buds were coming to a PAX, what would any of you think?

FTV on

• LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    I haven't really listened to either of them, but I dunno if they'd fit. MC Chris isn't at PAX because he's 'AS approved' or whatever. It's because he raps about nerdy things and is a huge nerd. And they might be a bit too big. Stop me if I'm wrong about them, as I don't really know much about them...

I think what might be better would be Game Over, Freezepop or another gaming related group that I can't think of at the moment.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VCWJVvE0Fk

While his music is not nerdy...

Doc on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    Doc wrote:

Yeah, I saw that on the Wiki.

Legacy on
  • FTVFTV Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Ha! I hadn't seen that. I knew those guys were huge freaking nerds! But dang, MTV? Maybe I should just stick with hoping They Might Be Giants makes it to PAX '07.

FTV on
  • the doughthe dough Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    On one hand I am a huge Doom fan, I have many of is albums, including KMD's Black Bastards and one time I almost got my hands on a copy of Operation:Doomsday. My brain would explode if I ever got to see the man live. On the other hand I don't really feel like Doom belongs at an event like PAXs. While he does pepper his rhymes with nerdy references (comic books, sci fi stuff) he isn't aligned with geekdom in the same way that MC Chris or the majority of the other performers are. As far as Gnarls Barkley goes, that would definitely attract way more people than Dangerdoom, as Doom has a much much smaller audience, will never make it on the pop charts etc. A surge of people attending PAX merely to see Gnarls Barkely would certainly dillute the geeky goodness that we all revel in for those three beautiful days. I also severly doubt that it would ever happen.

the dough on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Doc wrote:

I couldnt tell, certainly the costumes pass but as far as lyrics goes, incoherant mumbling isnt nerdy.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    eelektrik wrote:
    Doc wrote:

I couldnt tell, certainly the costumes pass but as far as lyrics goes, incoherant mumbling isnt nerdy.

Doc on
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    that was not incoherent mumbling

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    On the contrary, incoherent mumbling is classic nerd!

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Indeed. Just look at Professor Frink.

QuizMaster on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    I haven't really listened to either of them, but I dunno if they'd fit. MC Chris isn't at PAX because he's 'AS approved' or whatever. It's because he raps about nerdy things and is a huge nerd. And they might be a bit too big. Stop me if I'm wrong about them, as I don't really know much about them...

I think what might be better would be Game Over, Freezepop or another gaming related group that I can't think of at the moment.

Freezepop would be fucking awesome.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited July 2006
    Legacy wrote:

Freezepop would be fucking awesome.

I've expressed this to Khoo a few times and to the representatives of Red Octane that were at E3.

Maybe someday...

Legacy on
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    We're getting big enough that shipping the Black Mages over might just be possible. We should try to hook them up for '07.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • AndwarfAndwarf Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Minibosses and NESkimos were show enough for me.

Andwarf on
    Most inanimate objects find me at least mildly agreeable!
    edited August 2006
    Let me reiterate [Khoo], Freezepop would be fucking awesome.

Hint, fucking hint.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    To anyone that doesn't think Gnarls Barkley isn't nerdy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQofC--JwkE&NR

Yes, the song is his, but the video is obviously not. This should be the theme song to the new movie.

TrainwreckX on
    edited August 2006
    To anyone that doesn't think Gnarls Barkley isn't nerdy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQofC--JwkE&NR

Yes, the song is his, but the video is obviously not. This should be the theme song to the new movie.
    I'm pretty sure the song is a lock for being the Gnarls Barkley single released along with the Transformers movie as well as playing during the end credits. But remember, Gnarls Barkley is a duo, not a single guy, and that song isn't entirely about robots in disguise, but does use them as a metaphor for something.
    Regardless, as nerdy as Cee-Lo, Danger Mouse, or MF Doom may be, PAX will HAVE to be the new E3 next year for it to be big enough to handle a number two top artist.

FTV on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006
    With his new album coming out next month, Weird Al will probably be in the midst of a tour by the time PAX comes around next year...

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Common Market would be pretty rad at PAX.

Weaver on
    edited August 2006
    The Geek wrote:
    With his new album coming out next month, Weird Al will probably be in the midst of a tour by the time PAX comes around next year...
    Dude regularly plays state fairs and tiny clubs. He probably wouldn't be too hard to pick up for PAX, assuming his schedule isn't already filled up.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2006
    The Geek wrote:
    Dude regularly plays state fairs and tiny clubs. He probably wouldn't be too hard to pick up for PAX, assuming his schedule isn't already filled up.

Oh god, could you just imagine how awesome that would be?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited August 2006
    The Geek wrote:
    Also assuming that people would actually enjoy it.

the dough on
    edited August 2006
    the dough wrote:
    The Geek wrote:

You don't get to claim any sort of nerd/geek status if you don't enjoy Weird Al.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited August 2006
    The Geek wrote:
    You don't get to claim any sort of nerd/geek status if you don't enjoy Weird Al.
    Agreed. Also TMBG?

FTV on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2006
    FTV wrote:
    The Geek wrote:
    Agreed. Also TMBG?
    and Ween.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited August 2006
    FTV wrote:
    The Geek wrote:
    Agreed. Also TMBG?
    and Ween.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited August 2006
    FTV wrote:
    The Geek wrote:
    Agreed. Also TMBG?
    and Ween.
    /me goes and listens to Ween for the first time on iTunes. Hmm... it's like TMBG's nonsense songs. Pretty cool.

FTV on
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    The Geek wrote:
    the dough wrote:
    The Geek wrote:

I used to enjoy weird al, but listening to his newer stuff is just kind of painful.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
    edited August 2006
    JoahW wrote:
    I used to enjoy weird al, but listening to his newer stuff is just kind of painful.
    All that matters is that you're not object to all his work. Take me, I don't think he's too hot as a sketch or stand-up comedian but he's funny most the time he does music.

FTV on
    edited August 2006
    JoahW wrote:

Hardware Store > You.

Legacy on
  • AndwarfAndwarf Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    His new stuff is just as good as his old stuff.

We just aren't 12 anymore, so some of it isn't as hilarious as it could be.

Andwarf on
    Most inanimate objects find me at least mildly agreeable!
    edited August 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    JoahW wrote:

Hardware Store > You.

Exactly the song I was going to hold up as an example.

I think Hardware Store is my most favorite Al song ever.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited August 2006
    Andwarf wrote:

Honestly, I did use to enjoy Weird Al, in fact, my first concert ever was Weird Al. However, his comic stylings no longer entice me.

the dough on
    edited August 2006
    the dough wrote:
    Andwarf wrote:

Honestly, I did use to enjoy Weird Al, in fact, my first concert ever was Weird Al. However, his comic stylings no longer entice me.
    How does it feel to have no soul?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited August 2006
    the dough wrote:
    Andwarf wrote:

How does it feel to have no soul?
    How does it feel to have no avatar? Oh shit, I don't have one either.

the dough on
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Andwarf wrote:
    Thats what I was getting at.

I do love "A Complicated Song" though. In fact, whenever me or my friend play "Complicated" in karaoke revolution, we sing the Weird Al version.

But still, I don't know if Weird Al would be that great at PAX.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
    edited August 2006
    JoahW wrote:
    Andwarf wrote:
    Thats what I was getting at.

I do love "A Complicated Song" though. In fact, whenever me or my friend play "Complicated" in karaoke revolution, we sing the Weird Al version.

But still, I don't know if Weird Al would be that great at PAX.

Heathens.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB