As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tribes] Ascend: Everything for one purchase price, 6 maps, shielded assests, SHOCKLANCE!

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Ohgodohgodohgod

I just figured out what throwing knives are for. Why was I using the stupid fucking pistol this whole time?

Life as an infiltrator just got a million times easier.

They both have their merits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pwW_fDkZUE

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I do love the fact that since everything is projectile base, and sort of slow moving at that (at least comparatively to player speed), that I just get abunch of kills when I'm not even looking at them. It's the best thing in the world to fire off a spinfusor at someone chasing you, look the other way to be able to ski better, and then have a kill message pop up in front of you. I mean, often it's because I got lucky with where I aimed, but still. I just find this game really satisfying.

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    There are a few hitscan weapons, namely a rifle or two and some of the more basic handguns.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Fine, more or less everything. Everything that I use at any rate.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I reset my password since I apparently forgot the one I created months ago except all the website does is tell me it's reset. I still can't log in. What am I missing here?

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Quid wrote: »
    I reset my password since I apparently forgot the one I created months ago except all the website does is tell me it's reset. I still can't log in. What am I missing here?

Presumably a new generated password will have been sent to your registered e-mail address?

subedii on
  • Options
    Presumably.

Oh hey, spam box. Duh.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Ohgodohgodohgod

I just figured out what throwing knives are for. Why was I using the stupid fucking pistol this whole time?

I don't play infiltrator, but uh, in that video the knives get a kill faster every time but one. And that's the closest range, at which point you'd probably be thumpering, no? Seems like the knives are pretty much better. What's the advantage of the pistol I'm not seeing here?

Infiltrator definitely feels like HiRez's pet class to me.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Ohgodohgodohgod

I don't play infiltrator, but uh, in that video the knives get a kill faster every time but one. And that's the closest range, at which point you'd probably be thumpering, no? Seems like the knives are pretty much better. What's the advantage of the pistol I'm not seeing here?

At this moment I prefer the pistol because I'm not good at aiming. Although the damage per shot is lower, the damage overal is only little in short and mid range duels and I get more shot per seconds and hopefully more chances to hit someone :P Maybe when I get better at aiming and leading i will switch to the knives.

johnwing on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Ohgodohgodohgod

It does more damage when you are shooting at ranges with no fall off and it's projectile moves twice as fast. It also has a higher rate of fire. So it's more accurate at range than the knives, but does less damage at range than the knives. It does more damage close up than the knives, but less damage further away than knives. Thus both have their merits, they are side grades. Also infiltrators don't get a thumper?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    uh the SN7 has a faster projectile speed.

That has a lot to do with it.

• Options
    Ohgodohgodohgod

It does more damage when you are shooting at ranges with no fall off and it's projectile moves twice as fast. It also has a higher rate of fire. So it's more accurate at range than the knives, but does less damage at range than the knives. It does more damage close up than the knives, but less damage further away than knives. Thus both have their merits, they are side grades. Also infiltrators don't get a thumper?

Luckily the infiltrator don't get the thumper or else it would be totally imba.

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Done with C&H for awhile. I dunno if people are botting or what. The army of juggernauts sitting at spawn, chain firing mortars at nothing is getting old.

I sat in front of some guy for a bit bouncing his mortars back under him, and he'd turn back to face the direction he spawned in and keep firing. So it doesn't seem like a plain keyboard macro. Also, they suicide right after running out of ammo.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Done with C&H for awhile. I dunno if people are botting or what. The army of juggernauts sitting at spawn, chain firing mortars at nothing is getting old.

I sat in front of some guy for a bit bouncing his mortars back under him, and he'd turn back to face the direction he spawned in and keep firing. So it doesn't seem like a plain keyboard macro. Also, they suicide right after running out of ammo.
    It's performance art. Very modern.

• Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I put exp into buying the Brute today. I kind of wish I hadn't; it seems like a base juggernaut is better. Though maybe I just can't play him very well.

Does anyone use the brute quite a bit? Any pointers?

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Brute's bad. That's kind of all there is to it.

Without potential energy you're going to be grounded too much, and your secondary pistol is pretty awesome, the fractal grenades are pretty nifty too. None of it makes up for how immobile you are though, and anyone playing to duel will pick you apart midfield.

I have the most success with the brute playing him off the flag and using fractals and the pistol to shut down certain cap routes or short chase.

Really though, there's no reason to play anything other than raider if you want to kill mans. The new weapons are still insane.

• Options
    I'm playing in windowed mode and every now and again my computer has decide I've clicked on another window.

Why?

• Options
    Ohgodohgodohgod

Sorry, I meant jackal. Which is way better than the thumper anyway. A higher rate of fire doesn't make it more accurate. Accuracy is on you. Some people can actually aim pretty well with the knives it seems. You might prefer the pistol, but the knives look pretty better for what they'd actually be used for, finishing off enemies.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Ohgodohgodohgod

But this has nothing to do with it. The faster rate of fire and faster projectile makes the pistol a lot easier to finish off wounded enemies with if the Jackal can't do the job (at range, in the air, etc.)

But that isn't why the knives are better. Oh no.

The knives have splash damage.

Splash damage takes out mines and motion sensors.

I will never use the pistol again.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Ohgodohgodohgod

Sorry, I meant jackal. Which is way better than the thumper anyway. A higher rate of fire doesn't make it more accurate. Accuracy is on you. Some people can actually aim pretty well with the knives it seems. You might prefer the pistol, but the knives look pretty better for what they'd actually be used for, finishing off enemies.

Hm, I seem to have lost the link to the weapon DPS table but, if memory serves the SN7 is the highest DPS weapon that the infiltrator has. It's a completely arbitrary decision on your part to limiting its role to finishing off enemies. It does a lot of things very well, like melt heavies. I also remember a player from back in beta SexyKate (haven't see him/her around for a while though) that would just chill mid field as the infiltrator, wouldn't bother stealthing and would just duel people with the SN7. Let's just say s/he won a lot more duels than she lost.

• Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »

Without potential energy you're going to be grounded too much, and your secondary pistol is pretty awesome, the fractal grenades are pretty nifty too. None of it makes up for how immobile you are though, and anyone playing to duel will pick you apart midfield.

I have the most success with the brute playing him off the flag and using fractals and the pistol to shut down certain cap routes or short chase.

Really though, there's no reason to play anything other than raider if you want to kill mans. The new weapons are still insane.

Darn I thought the heavy spinfusor would be... heavier. It was a cool class to play if I was able to get him into an enemy generator room and lay down some damage on people trying to repair. Though I died on my way there too often for it to be worth it.

The fractal grenades were great, though I'm too exp broke to try to save for the pistol. I kind of wish you could trade upgrades you bought and didn't like for a refund...

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    im having a brain fart with those knives... really? the guy can just flick them 300yards with no arc?
    quarterbacks have a bitchin time trying to throw a ball with no arc, accurately, at 40+ yards.

even when the guys on top shot were throwing knives, they only did so at 10-20yards maximum.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    heckelsheckels Registered User regular
    im having a brain fart with those knives... really? the guy can just flick them 300yards with no arc?
    quarterbacks have a bitchin time trying to throw a ball with no arc, accurately, at 40+ yards.

even when the guys on top shot were throwing knives, they only did so at 10-20yards maximum.

powered armour...

heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • Options

Laser knives! With splash damage! That is hilarious that they have splash.

• Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    I put exp into buying the Brute today. I kind of wish I hadn't; it seems like a base juggernaut is better. Though maybe I just can't play him very well.

Does anyone use the brute quite a bit? Any pointers?

I use the brute quite a bit for base defense/offense. The brute really needs to be upgraded a bit to be more effective than the jug. The brute is pretty good at keeping enemies out of their gen room/destroying turrets long range, it really just depends what your play style is.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options

It makes exactly as much sense as the rest of tribes, a future in which warfare is conducted via capturing flags and fought in suits with jetpacks that can turn off friction and lob explosive blue discs af eachother. :P

• Options
    edited April 2012

It makes exactly as much sense as the rest of tribes, a future in which warfare is conducted via capturing flags and fought in suits with jetpacks that can turn off friction and lob explosive blue discs af eachother. :P

We have been capturing flags during world war II and also during modern times. So why not the future?

johnwing on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    johnwing wrote: »

We have been capturing flags during world war II and also during modern times. So why not the future?
    I don't think you understand what "capturing flags" means in the context of Tribes and in the context of World War II. If you can find me a historical example of a real war with a battle where each side focused on capturing the opponent's flag and returning it to their flag stand more often than the opponent did the same thing, then I'll give you all my money.

• Options
    B_RB_R Registered User regular
    Some posting you guys are doing here.

• Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    I have some people asking for admin rights to the steam group so they can post events and what not. I don't recognize the names so I don't feel comfortable admining them. I just don't want to admin the wrong person and get spammed with useless events. Its happened before.

Is there anyone I should admin? Right now it's just myself and TychoCelchuuu. If there is someone who wants to try and get events and things coordinated, I'd be more than happy to give them the ability to do so.

• Options
    johnwing wrote: »

I don't think you understand what "capturing flags" means in the context of Tribes and in the context of World War II. If you can find me a historical example of a real war with a battle where each side focused on capturing the opponent's flag and returning it to their flag stand more often than the opponent did the same thing, then I'll give you all my money.
    During the Civil War, a regiment’s battle flag served as a symbol of honor and a rallying point for the troops on the field. Carrying the flag onto the battlefield was both a privilege and a significant risk for the unit’s color bearers. Opposing forces took great pride in capturing or killing the color bearer and capturing the flag, which could confuse and demoralize the troops. Color bearers, both Union and Confederate, often acted heroically to keep their unit’s colors flying.

You can go ahead and paypal me, I'll wait.

I always figured they kept some important data in the flags or they contained special artifacts or something.
    Which made keeping them outside super retarded.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    This is hurting my brain...

Can we keep discussing the game? Cause base assets are useless, and that makes me sad.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    If UT3 demonstrated anything it's that canonical explanations for game mechanics only leads to idiocy. And, consequently, hilarity, but I think one F.L.A.G. was enough.

• Options

Can we keep discussing the game? Cause base assets are useless, and that makes me sad.

I disagree that base assets are useless. In a 16 v 16 game it isn't really hard to spare one player who focuses on keeping the base operable. The thing is that base assets are NOT a substitute for having players in your base defending, they are a supplement to having players in your base defending. They are a force multiplier, but if that force is zero or one it's not going to make much of a difference. What base assets, like the base turrets do, is make it harder or make it take longer for the enemy to disrupt or own your flag stand. If I'm fighting in my base near a turret in a 1v1 situation, say, trying to kill an enemy raider, the turret gives me a bit of an edge. Having to dodge the turret shots makes them more predictable and distracts them from fighting me. If they ignore they turret it will kill them. Always fun is hitting someone with an explosion into the ground and then having a turret splat them (shame you don't even get an assist for that, if memory serves). The radar lets your defense see enemies they may have otherwise missed, but you have to have people on defense in the first place to see the enemy at all. Generators keep deployables running, which help keep your base less hospitable and take longer to crack.

Now, base assets are NOT more important than the flag. Just like kills are NOT more important than the flag. Having 10 people on your team defend your generator or attack their generator is obviously a misallocation of resources. Just like having 10 people dueling midfield would be. When you have a level 4 base turret it takes less time for you to repair it from dead to full life than it takes for the enemy to kill it. Don't repair it while the enemy is actively attacking it, repair it when they are doing something else. You spend less time than they spend, its a net gain. Or they ignore it, and I can't count how many kills (on some maps more than others, to be certain) a level 4 turret nets over the course of a game. However, the priority is still the flag. When I play tech I usually drop a motion sensor and a turret at each entrance to the gen room, and then ignore the gen room as much as I possibly can. I will then prioritize the flag stand, either SMGing down flag runners on their way in or out or thumpering them as they grab the flag, depending on loadout and mood. When there are lulls or our flag stand is otherwise defended I repair base assets, focusing on radar if we have good defenders or turrets if our defenders are getting harassed a lot.

Base assets help, but they don't win games by themselves.

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    I just started getting into this game and am loving the technician so far. I really hope that its useful for higher end matches. It feels like my turrets do well and I am getting a ton of kills with the SMG but would I be better off investing exp into another class? I like the idea of the Doombringer and I am in tons of matches where the point is undefended by a live person standing on it.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    dispatch.o wrote: »

You're doing it wrong, the Brute is very specifically designed for indoor combat. They're great at attacking/defending the gen, or controlling the enemy flag stand(on some maps). They can beat pretty much anyone in a straight up fight indoors and fractals are devastating in closed areas.

Zek on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    The only thing better than one fractal is two fractals.

Seriously, I've ran a train on the enemy gen room as a solo Brute. Most of the time I have a spare fractal to lay down to keep the enemy away and give myself a chance to regen health/energy.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Forbe! wrote: »
    The only thing better than one fractal is two fractals.

Seriously, I've ran a train on the enemy gen room as a solo Brute. Most of the time I have a spare fractal to lay down to keep the enemy away and give myself a chance to regen health/energy.

Fractal grenades are total bullshit. If one goes off and you are anywhere in the area in the duration it's going off, you will die. They are exponentially more powerful than any other grenade in the game.

Brutes have really good weaponry overall and are the class I generally fear the most as an Infiltrator. A Doombringer who sights me before I get the jump on him might be more dangerous, but being sneaky gets around that. Raiders with jammer packs are manageable if you are careful. Brutes do a ton of area damage in the places where Infiltrators are most at home and will almost always win a straight up indoor fight, even if you get off a good initial Jackal salvo.

Heavies are in general annoying, unless I can do the sticky grenade + 3x midair Jackal combo from stealth.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Brutes just hit hard, but on offence, the Juggernaut I'd say is more flexible and is better equipped for general combat and has more team based utility.

The Doombringer is just a defensive beast. His secondary at times may not be the most useful, but for flag cappers, the chain gun is perfect as they usually stand in a straight line, and having 2 forcefields is great for directing pathfinders into other traps, like your mines.

The Brutes need loving. Against an Inf, I can see where they can be a menace, but in all honesty, they not as deadly nor flexible. I prefer Doomrbinger for defense and Juggernaut for everything else.

• Options

Yeah, sadly, they're pretty useless.