As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Skinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (it's a school thread)

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    yeah I got those letters too, seemed like a waste of money/time
    but maybe this one is better, I dunno

I mean I got a pretty cool student job with nothing, it's probably harder if it's a real job though

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    hey guys i'm done with this semester

starting to clean out my studio space for the summer

someone get their acoustic guitar and play some green dayy

wait are you headed home for the summer?

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I won the "outstanding student in biology" award today. My professor gave me his instructor's biochemistry textbook (with a little dedication inside), which was quite nice of him. Too bad I can't understand anything past the first 20 pages.

Really not looking forward to organic chem in the fall.

@Butler_For_Life_#1

You took organic chem recently. How'd you get through it without losing your sanity?

Orgo is all about patience. It requires a lot of practice and repetition. Study a little bit of chem every day, and don't worry if it takes a while to get it. There's a lot of topics in Orgo that really can't be grasped immediately.

Take advantage of every single opportunity your professors give you.
    Group studying is excellent for orgo, so make sure to find some friends in the class and bounce ideas off of them.

You also have to be very careful. Small details make huge differences, so make sure that you've got the small things right.

And remember to never get discouraged! Confidence is key.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Also understand that this course may end up costing you twice as much as any other course you take, as it's likely you'll be paying to take it twice.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Thank for the advice! I'm decent at chemistry but I have difficulty with thermodynamics and the "physics" side of it. I'll be sure to find some other people to study with, so it should end up being ok.

also, also: nanoputians.

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    being a honor's society is already streets ahead of the thing i got

that thing was just a book

can't put "my name was in a book" on a resume

"yeah, it's called a phone book" they'll say

"what's a phone book?" the young intern, who never used his smartphone as a phone will ask

and the older exec in charge of hiring will shake her head and sigh

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Thank for the advice! I'm decent at chemistry but I have difficulty with thermodynamics and the "physics" side of it. I'll be sure to find some other people to study with, so it should end up being ok.

Orgo has very little physics and math. If you're good with the other aspects of chemistry, you may find Orgo to be easier than you expect.

Also I have a 5-7 page essay due Sunday. It actually needs to be completed like nowish because we have to use a SafeAssign verification that can take up to 48 hours during high-volume times (like end of the semester), and we need to give ourselves time to address any incidences of plagiarism in our papers. I've got two pages written so far, but I haven't actually hit the body of the paper yet. Which is fine, I'll probably just do two short paragraphs for each "bullet point" in the essay (since it's a comparison between Utopia and England, so I'll set up how things were at the time in England in the first paragraph, then contrast it with Utopia in the second paragraph, and do that for each of the three aspects).

Really need to just get this done, though. It's difficult when you haven't read the work, though.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    well, just applied for readmission

not sure if it's necessary, but the deadline for the fall semester is may first, and I figure I'll call them on monday to see what else I might have to do, I guess

we'll see

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Ubik wrote: »
    being a honor's society is already streets ahead of the thing i got

that thing was just a book

can't put "my name was in a book" on a resume

"yeah, it's called a phone book" they'll say

"what's a phone book?" the young intern, who never used his smartphone as a phone will ask

and the older exec in charge of hiring will shake her head and sigh

i'd never sent out mail/letters in my life before i worked in this office

also my boss was like "maybe x's computer needs more ram"
    i just nodded absently, looking away

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Chemistry is impossible, makes no sense

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

I, as someone who took Orgo 1 twice (C- and A, respectively) agree with butler, and want to add: MECHANISMS If you know your mechanisms, and I mean really know, not just memorize, you will be able to figure out SO MUCH in Org 1 and 2. They make the reactions make sense, and certain themes crop up again and again. I also can't imagine a teacher not loving mechanism questions, so get good at pushing electrons. I highly recommend picking up the largest whiteboard you can fit in your backpack/carry. Was wonderful for studying. I'll also say I got the most out of teaching others orgo, way more than I got out of group study sessions. So shoot for being "that guy". It eventually gets to be a series of fun puzzles, "You start with X, and are allowed these tools, tell us how you would make Y". And fuck the qualitative stuff. Right in its greasy asshole.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Steps to be successful at organic chemistry

1) Find the thing with positive charge
    2) Find the thing with negative charge
    3) Put them together

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    maybe i will post in here!

my mom died right as i went off to college out of high school and i couldn't handle the stress and flamed out. now i am sort of an adult (24) and i've been teaching myself to code for a while. i'd like to get a degree, though. i start at the local community college in september. english comp, discrete mathematics, calculus, programming and algorithm development.

it's been forever since i had any academic responsibilities and i am hoping i don't fuck up!

Organichu wrote: »

my mom died right as i went off to college out of high school and i couldn't handle the stress and flamed out. now i am sort of an adult (24) and i've been teaching myself to code for a while. i'd like to get a degree, though. i start at the local community college in september. english comp, discrete mathematics, calculus, programming and algorithm development.

it's been forever since i had any academic responsibilities and i am hoping i don't fuck up!

I know that feel, bro. I'm just finishing my second year (of three!) at CC. While I don't personally recommend such a heavy load, you'll be fine. Just focus, focus, focus.

Good luck. Keep your eyes on the prize.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Man. I'm starting to think I should just buy a plane ticket for Oahu for next thursday, drop in on Manoa admissions, and ask them what the hell is going on after dancing around covered in copies of this damn letter. Which begs the question, Thriller dance or something a bit more contemporary?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

Yea, my lesson from fucking up my first two years was: If you have a day where you are not doing any schoolwork outside of class, you should really find something to study. There is no way you actually already know everything. Constant study is wayyyyy better than that 16 hour adderall and tea fueled binge that permanantly sears a Coheed album in your mind and makes you associate it with that subject forever more.

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    did anyone else get solicited for those "who's who of highs chool" books where you pay money to get your name in it and then you pay money to buy it and then i don't know who else buys it or what the point is

i'm not saying that's what that honors society is but that's what i thought of

yeah, I kind of partly get the impression that it might just be something like that

where I give them money and then maybe they send me a certificate or some horseshit and never hear from or receive any benefit from them ever again

2110.strip.gif

• StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    Registration for the final course of my degree will take place at 8:30am, May 1st. Oh my god I hope I can get in, this has taken waaaaay too long

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    hey guys i'm done with this semester

starting to clean out my studio space for the summer

someone get their acoustic guitar and play some green dayy

wait are you headed home for the summer?

nah

haven't lived at home since i moved out freshman year

taking summer classes and working in indy

• 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    did anyone else get solicited for those "who's who of highs chool" books where you pay money to get your name in it and then you pay money to buy it and then i don't know who else buys it or what the point is

i'm not saying that's what that honors society is but that's what i thought of

yeah, I kind of partly get the impression that it might just be something like that

where I give them money and then maybe they send me a certificate or some horseshit and never hear from or receive any benefit from them ever again

You're paying for the CV bullet. Employers eat that shit up. If you can afford it, I would say go for it, just don't have expectations about how involved you'll be in the organization after you join (you won't be).

Do they really count for that much? I mean, if you're straight out of school and don't have much in the way of job experience, then I guess it would be better than nothing. I got a few of those letters and pretty much ignored them after a cursory google.

My thinking is that it's better than nothing. It may not be worth anything realistically, but supplementing your CV with these kinds of extracurriculars can't hurt you.

I'm not pushing it, trust me, but there really isn't any harm in joining honor societies if you can afford it.

As I understand it, Golden Key is one of the lower rungs of honor societies. Which isn't to say that it's particularly bad or anything, but when I asked a few people who I would want to impress with my resume, the "Who's Who" comparison wasn't all that far off in their eyes. This is definitely a YMMV thing depending on several factors, but definitely do your homework, especially if A) you have people in your intended industry you can ask, and/or B) you have invitations from more than one honor society. You can always be in more than one, of course, but if you have to prioritize the money that would go to admissions fees, you want to get the most bang for your buck.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I just
    walked in
    20 minutes before the end of the final
    because I thought I was 20 minutes early for the start of the final

this should/could/would have happened 3 years ago, not in a class like this
    check out this fucking breakdown

• AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    Orgo was hell, it was frustrating and demoralizing. Much of that was my fault for skipping class too often and trying to cram, but it wasn't like physics or math. It really felt like it wasn't learnable.

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
    ugh registering for classes ugh

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    ugh registering for classes ugh

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    CuGza.jpg

and then it's done

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Diablo3 comes out on finals week. Ugh

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • FarthingFarthing Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ahhhh last exam tomorrow I am super keen for this to be over, just wanna drinkkkkkkk

damn two finals on the last day grrrr.

Farthing on
    So I think since I can't really afford to pay for a full 12-hour summer term out of pocket, and can't get any aid for it, I'm going to only take two classes. One of which is Information Systems Security, and while I'm taking them, I'm going to study for the CompTIA Security+ exam. Hopefully by the time I start next Fall, I'll be Security+ certified.

• BaronSamediBaronSamedi Same dude as yesterday. The AlamoRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    So I think since I can't really afford to pay for a full 12-hour summer term out of pocket, and can't get any aid for it, I'm going to only take two classes. One of which is Information Systems Security, and while I'm taking them, I'm going to study for the CompTIA Security+ exam. Hopefully by the time I start next Fall, I'll be Security+ certified.

Me too! But I'm not taking any classes. Just working and studying for the sec+ exam. It may help me get a grant when I come back in the fall.

"Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit, and your shit is stuff?"--George Carlin
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    You guys you guys.
    Something weird is happening. I got a job that is relevant to my field, and actually USES KNOWLEDGE THAT I LEARNED IN CLASS.
    When does that ever happen?

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    oh god i'm so close to done with year two of law school

all i have to do is study for one exam, and yet i still can't really be bothered

edited April 2012
    Trillian wrote: »
    You guys you guys.
    Something weird is happening. I got a job that is relevant to my field, and actually USES KNOWLEDGE THAT I LEARNED IN CLASS.
    When does that ever happen?

Usually right before you wake up.
    Tox wrote: »

Me too! But I'm not taking any classes. Just working and studying for the sec+ exam. It may help me get a grant when I come back in the fall.

I really want to sit A+ as well. It's not that it's necessarily that relevant anymore, I just really want that damn cert.

Tox on
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    oh god i'm so close to done with year two of law school

all i have to do is study for one exam, and yet i still can't really be bothered

You can do it! Knock this one out of the park!

I'm in a similar boat, man. I took all of my finals during the first week of exams and now all I have to do is write a 16 page paper to meet the ABA requirement for my internship. Its ungraded (for credit only) but I can't be bothered to even start because I'm done with finals and graduation is on Saturday.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Okay, that final was rough but it's done
    Last one ever tomorrow.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    got both my finals tomorrow, and holy shit, studying for this philosophy one is straight up enraging

i've barely paid attention in that class so it's deffo my fault, sorta frustrating my own efforts here, but man i didn't remember until just now why i fucking hate philosophy classes

trying to read kierkegaard/heidegger/hegel is such a waste of time. like, i fundamentally understand and accept they're important figures of significant intellectual substance, but all i can picture is some sort of victorian version of aspergers paired with masturbation, like an eighteenth century social justice tumblr

fucking hate philosophy terminology, hate archaic writing styles, hate trying to make it relevant, gonna smash everything

reposig.jpg
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    Ugh I need to start trying to get ahead in my work so I can go to Sasquatch without having to worry about grade shit. But work is boooorinnnng

an A-
    i knew that one went better than the others

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Exams in a week

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

This discussion has been closed.