As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• NamonNamon Registered User regular
    Bhaalen wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Savant wrote: »
    World firsts in D2 had teams of people coordinating to get them to work. Back when Diablo himself was the only thing that gave appreciable experience in the last couple of levels, they'd have groups of guys hunt down games to clear out the chaos sanctuary and find exp shrines to have their the one character doing the leveling come in at the last minute and do the last couple of hits to Diablo outside of a party with the shrine active to get the most exp. Then repeat that again and again.

I'd imagine the effort will be somewhat similar in D3, though much much quicker. Whoever does it will be playing at maximal uptime with outside support though.

First to 99 in D2 is a bit different because lots of people were on Act 4 Hell by then, the leveling curve from there to 99 was almost impossible. The first guy to hit 60 in D3 though will be the only player in the level range of his content. Nobody else will even be able to make the games. Now that I think about it there probably won't be anyone outside his game finding loot that he can use, and I wonder if his outleveling his companions will render them more a burden than an asset by Hell difficulty. Of course the really mandatory thing will be playing the character in shifts 24/7, if you're not doing that it will be literally impossible to win the race. That means you also need 3 other characters also played 24/7 as well to keep up.

The D2 race is actually a pretty interesting story: http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Archives:_GerBarb

I don't think everyone trying to funnel gear to one guy is viable. He's gonna out level them and at that point they wont even be able to funnel him gear anymore. No, I think it's gonna be skill + time played + luck because of rng.

That's what I was thinking as I was reading this. If you had 3 other people trying to funnel you along, they'd almost have to be rushing themselves or the stuff they make or actions they do to pave the way would be useless to you after a certain point. They'd almost have to be ahead which would kill the whole "first" thing. Good luck. While I will admit I don't personally understand the desire to try for "firsts," that is what I love about this game. None of that affects me as I can play in my own private little world while you have yours.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Namon wrote: »
    While I will admit I don't personally understand the desire to try for "firsts," that is what I love about this game. None of that affects me as I can play in my own private little world while you have yours.

This is really what I love about the D2 and the new one. I can get all the parts of multiplayer that I like but I can do all the rest on my own. I had a hard time keeping up with Starcraft multiplayer or WoW endgame stuff because I couldn't play consistently, but with Diablo that's never a problem.

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Wizard, to be honest, has very little appeal for me. I sat down and really looked at their skills recently, however, and really tried to make something that looked fun. Here's what I came up with. I'm not big on managing some of the longer cooldowns, or trying to work with spells that have really high Arcane Power costs. I decided it might be cool to work with a skill like Disintegrate, because it's intended to be powerful, but only in short bursts because it costs a lot to maintain the channel. If I could find a way to alleviate the Arcane Power cost, I figured I could essentially perma-spam the ability and cause some real damage.

So I started looking at ways to quickly increase my AP-generation: with Magic Missile runed for Attunement, and the Prodigy Passive ability, I can generate 8 AP with every cast of the spell; with an Arcanot-runed Familiar active, I generate 2 AP every second, and I gain another 2 AP per second from the Astral Presence Passive; with Storm Armor active, and the Power of the Storm rune equipped, the cost of all my spells are reduced by 3 AP, and finally, for 5 seconds after using Prism-runed Diamond Skin, the cost of all my spells are reduced by an additional 7 AP.

So Disintegrate costs 20 AP (per second, I'm assuming) to channel, but that's reduced to 17 for me (and reduced fully in half, to 10 for 5 seconds after using Diamond Skin). I'm also regenerating 8 AP per second, so that basically doubles the length of time I can channel a 17 AP Disintegrate. It also means that it only costs 2 AP per second to channel for 5 seconds after using Diamond Skin.

Slow Time's thrown in there for survivability, and also because enemies in the zone take 20% extra damage with Time Warp. So I can use the ability offensively as well as defensively.

Also, Dynamo's a pretty neat Passive. I'm curious to know how it works with channeled spells like Disintegrate. Does it apply for the entire length of time that you hold down the fire button? Because that would be bad ass.

Anyway, thoughts?

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    That's quite similar to what I was hoping for, though I'm interested in Electrocute rather than Missile.

I think my problem with the Wizard is that I just don't much like the first incarnations of his primary and secondary spells, but further on he seems quite interesting.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Wizard, to be honest, has very little appeal for me. I sat down and really looked at their skills recently, however, and really tried to make something that looked fun. Here's what I came up with. I'm not big on managing some of the longer cooldowns, or trying to work with spells that have really high Arcane Power costs. I decided it might be cool to work with a skill like Disintegrate, because it's intended to be powerful, but only in short bursts because it costs a lot to maintain the channel. If I could find a way to alleviate the Arcane Power cost, I figured I could essentially perma-spam the ability and cause some real damage.

So I started looking at ways to quickly increase my AP-generation: with Magic Missile runed for Attunement, and the Prodigy Passive ability, I can generate 8 AP with every cast of the spell; with an Arcanot-runed Familiar active, I generate 2 AP every second, and I gain another 2 AP per second from the Astral Presence Passive; with Storm Armor active, and the Power of the Storm rune equipped, the cost of all my spells are reduced by 3 AP, and finally, for 5 seconds after using Prism-runed Diamond Skin, the cost of all my spells are reduced by an additional 7 AP.

So Disintegrate costs 20 AP (per second, I'm assuming) to channel, but that's reduced to 17 for me (and reduced fully in half, to 10 for 5 seconds after using Diamond Skin). I'm also regenerating 8 AP per second, so that basically doubles the length of time I can channel a 17 AP Disintegrate. It also means that it only costs 2 AP per second to channel for 5 seconds after using Diamond Skin.

Slow Time's thrown in there for survivability, and also because enemies in the zone take 20% extra damage with Time Warp. So I can use the ability offensively as well as defensively.

Also, Dynamo's a pretty neat Passive. I'm curious to know how it works with channeled spells like Disintegrate. Does it apply for the entire length of time that you hold down the fire button? Because that would be bad ass.

Anyway, thoughts?

Seems like super overkill, AP isn't that important. AP spenders are cool but I don't think they're so much better than generators that it's worth using almost every active and passive slot to cast them more often. Also Dynamo is a bit of a weird choice for a build where you're trying real hard not to cast signature spells.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Power Hungry may work decent in that build too. Granted you need health orbs to drop, but to start with on normal that shouldn't be much of an issue. Of course, not sure when that build becomes viable at all before having every bit at 55...

Xeddicus on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    May 15th is taking too long. Thank god GW2 beta is keeping me busy this weekend. I have no idea how I will keep my sanity next weekend. The wait is killing me.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Bah, I guess the pre-load doesn't actually let you install, just download. That means I have to sit through the install process on May 15th. /sadface

When you try it install it says:

"The fire from the sky still falls.
    Diablo III has not yet launched."

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Bah, I guess the pre-load doesn't actually let you install, just download. That means I have to sit through the install process on May 15th. /sadface

Diablo II has not yet launched."
    Oh God, the installer is from early 2000!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Question:
    Am I being a dumb by getting D3 from Amazon instead of just getting the digital version? My rationale is that having the disc will make installs on a second computer or if I upgrade to a new computer faster, but I'm wondering if it's even worth it considering if I need it somewhere else I can just download the installer (~8GB?) again, or just burn said installer to a disc from my first download.
    I'm asking mostly for that rare chance that I may not get my disc (therefore, my key) from Amazon on release day. But I'm feeling like the way bandwidth is nowadays, it's not necessarily something I should be concerning myself with too much.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Amazon has had a flawless record with me for getting games to me on release day if I choose release day shipping. But even so, if you want to play ASAP on release day, the digital unlock is going to be faster than the delivery guy.

As far as your reasoning for getting the disc, I find that digital versions make new/replacement computer installs easier than having the disc versions. I don't have to dig around, find the discs, find the CD keys, etc., for every single game I want to reinstall. I just log onto Steam or Blizzard, choose the games, let 'er download.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Amazon has had a flawless record with me for getting games to me on release day if I choose release day shipping. But even so, if you want to play ASAP on release day, the digital unlock is going to be faster than the delivery guy.

As far as your reasoning for getting the disc, I find that digital versions make new/replacement computer installs easier than having the disc versions. I don't have to dig around, find the discs, find the CD keys, etc., for every single game I want to reinstall. I just log onto Steam or Blizzard, choose the games, let 'er download.

Yeah, I've never had trouble with Release Day shipping either. And I'm not playing at midnight or anything, but I'm thinking I may just cancel and get it from Blizz and be done with it. No waiting for the mail man at all (even if it does show up that day), no entering a key. I can just launch the installer when I get up that morning before work, let it ride all day and then jump on for the evening to BARB SOME FOOLS.

edit: Yeah, I just went and got it on BNET. And extra bonus, no sales tax!
    2edit: Lame...so when I clicked to purchase and put in my CC info, it said $59.99 and then 0.00 under sales tax. Finished my purchase and tax was on it...thanks Blizzard. :|

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    if you're not getting the CE I think download from blizz is 100% the right choice.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    On the offchance that I buy a game retail for some reason I always throw away the disc if it unlocks on Steam(or Battle.net). I just don't even want to think about keeping that thing around.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The way I received WOTLK without installing using the discs was; I found a site that allowed me to download the client legally and used the cd key from my box right as I got it home.

Then again, the amount of time I actually saved was about 10 minutes of installation from the dvds. If you uninstall without the discs, its going to be about an hour of download time vs 10 minutes of finding the dvds and an additional 10 minutes of installation.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Old-fashioned fellow that I am, I still prefer to keep the disks lying around. Relying on digital downloads is putting A LOT of faith in Steam, Origin, and Battle.net to provide a copy without messing around with it, and I've been burned by STALKER and LEFT FOR DEAD 2 where the download versions were not built properly.

Not to mention bandwidth caps and download speed. I hate you people that it takes longer to install than download. And Brussel Sprouts. And the wait. Is it the 15th yet?

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Variable wrote: »
    if you're not getting the CE I think download from blizz is 100% the right choice.

I agree with this.

Since i'm getting the CE, though, I have to wait. :(

Here's how I want collector's editions to work in the future: You pre-order the game, and the game client is available online. On release day you can install the downloaded game client and start playing as soon as the servers are up.

Then Blizzard eventually mails you a box full of stuff later on.

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    _J_ wrote: »

I agree with this.

Here's how I want collector's editions to work in the future: You pre-order the game, and the game client is available online. On release day you can install the downloaded game client and start playing as soon as the servers are up.

Thats how my Old Republic CE worked

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • MatzMatz Bronze Grandmaster FurieRegistered User regular
    I'm getting the CE as well. However (as I understand it) this won't cause any delay for me. I think I can pick it up from the retail shop on the 15th May (in NZ) at my leisure. Servers then don't unlock till 7pm that night so should be plenty of time to install.

Just the wait till the 15th now. To pass the time I have even installed the Wow starter edition having not played since early WOTLK. Quite enjoying it. Dungeon Finder is fantastic.

2uenpg3.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.

I agree with this.

No reason normal versions can't work that way if CE can!

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Matz wrote: »
    I'm getting the CE as well. However (as I understand it) this won't cause any delay for me. I think I can pick it up from the retail shop on the 15th May (in NZ) at my leisure. Servers then don't unlock till 7pm that night so should be plenty of time to install.

Just the wait till the 15th now. To pass the time I have even installed the Wow starter edition having not played since early WOTLK. Quite enjoying it. Dungeon Finder is fantastic.

Yeah, Dungeon Finder is pretty useful . I really like the ability to just be part of a rag tag team and get things done.

Hopefully, my Wal-Mart CE pre order comes through. I usually don't go through them.

Edit: I do see this on the order:

Will arrive between Tuesday, 05/22/12, and Thursday, 05/24/12.

argh.

Krathoon on
    Xeddicus wrote: »

I agree with this.

If by this you mean, "everyone should just pay the same price and get the CE stuff" then I agree.

I'm not sure what the point of a Collector's Edition is. Or, to be more specific, I'm not sure why there are Collector's Editions and normal editions. Unless they just don't want to make that many soulstone USB sticks.

I'm sure there's a marketing reason to have a super-special edition of a game. I just happen to not know what that reason is. Is it that the CE's make more money for Blizzard? Or having a CE makes some fans happy, and they're more likely to spend money in the future? Or did a Blizzard employee just want a little Diablo statue, so he said, "let's put it in the CE!" in order to justify making them?

I dunno.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I agree with this.

I would settle for the client file being available to everyone so that they could pre-load it while waiting for their boxed CE's to arrive. It's more convenient than bumming a link to the client from someone that digitally pre-ordered direct from Blizz.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Bullio wrote: »

I agree with this.

I would settle for the client file being available to everyone so that they could pre-load it while waiting for their boxed CE's to arrive. It's more convenient than bumming a link to the client from someone that digitally pre-ordered direct from Blizz.

Wait...

People can share those client downloads?

Edit: To be clear, I'm not asking that someone do that. I just didn't know it could happen. I assumed that every digital pre-order had its own specific serial code / purchase ID that was needed to access the client and so the client, itself, could not be shared.

_J_ on
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Walt wrote: »

I agree with this.

If by this you mean, "everyone should just pay the same price and get the CE stuff" then I agree.

I'm not sure what the point of a Collector's Edition is. Or, to be more specific, I'm not sure why there are Collector's Editions and normal editions. Unless they just don't want to make that many soulstone USB sticks.

I'm sure there's a marketing reason to have a super-special edition of a game. I just happen to not know what that reason is. Is it that the CE's make more money for Blizzard? Or having a CE makes some fans happy, and they're more likely to spend money in the future? Or did a Blizzard employee just want a little Diablo statue, so he said, "let's put it in the CE!" in order to justify making them?

I dunno.

whelp some people like neat Blizzard stuff and are willing to spend more money on it

so blizzard makes them neat stuff and sells it to them for more money

Pretty much this. People go for the Collector's edition of games because it comes with extra stuff that they either want or feel like they need. Blizz makes the CE cost more and profits.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular

I agree with this.

I dunno.

whelp some people like neat Blizzard stuff and are willing to spend more money on it

I agree with this.

I dunno.

Pretty much this. People go for the Collector's edition of games because it comes with extra stuff that they either want or feel like they need. Blizz makes the CE cost more and profits.

I wonder what Blizzard's profit is on the CE, compared to their profit on the normal version.

Yeah, I meant the 'download the game ahead of time and wait for the box' bit.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    that tv spot rules

diablo looks terrifying

leah is boring though

Heisenberg wrote: »
    that tv spot rules

diablo looks terrifying

leah is boring though

But maybe she is Diablo. And they'll, like, shove a shoulstone into her and Diablo will pop out, like in Alien.

Eh? You didn't think of that, did you?

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

I agree with this.

I dunno.

Yeah I imagine people would be pissed off if Blizzard only sold 1 version of the game, for $70-80 and included a statue and other tidbits.

Blizzard knows that most consumers fall into two - the ones that value the extra stuff and the ones that don't. They estimate the size of the first group and make that many CEs (limited production is an added incentive to the buyers). Then the other group doesn't have to pay extra for crap they don't value, and Blizzard doesn't have to spread the cost of making the extra stuff over their entire consumer base - they can just charge the people who actually value it.

• SquabmanSquabman Registered User regular
    Apparently it has been confirmed that Inferno is not designed to be beatable in Hardcore - which means that we now most likely have our level 99 equivalent challenge :D

lagbagg.png
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Not bothering with the preload, since I'm getting the CE and am on the east coast, I'll have 2ish hours to install before the servers go live.

Do hate having to hook up the dvd drive but oh well

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    Squabman wrote: »
    Apparently it has been confirmed that Inferno is not designed to be beatable in Hardcore

I like this: YOU WILL DIE.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Diablo II has not yet launched."
    Oh God, the installer is from early 2000!

Haha, oops :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Squabman wrote: »
    Apparently it has been confirmed that Inferno is not designed to be beatable in Hardcore - which means that we now most likely have our level 99 equivalent challenge :D

That may be the case, but with the number of viable skill combinations they're touting, Blizz must know that someone will find a way.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    What do they mean 'not beatable'? Like, YOU WILL DIE sort of thing?

This discussion has been closed.