As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Costumes

• PerzephonePerzephone Gamer, Cosplayer & Geek :3 SeattleRegistered User regular
    SvK wrote: »
    LOL Cliff I was going to Like that but forgot I wasn't on FB lol

• Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    This.... Im making it myself so I hope it turns out well....

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    SvK wrote: »
    Yep. A friend linked me to that just the other day. I am waiting till after my move to start work on it. It looks to be one of those projects that will take up the dinning room table until its finished. ;)

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • kinja20kinja20 Registered User regular
    I'm going as Blade :) I need to find an appropriate sword though. Any suggestions?

• BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    I always envy the cosplayers every year. I want to do one myself, but I know I don't have the energy for everything that WEARING a costume requires, much less the skill and patience to make one to my way-too-high personal standards.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Sooo, folks who have been to PAX before... will cosplaying as something that hasn't strictly been in a modern video game be looked at funny?

I'm thinking of something mostly based on the Riddler from the 90s Batman: The Animated Series. Y'know, this guy:

11.jpg

I guess there's always the Riddler from the recent Batman games, but I'd miss the mask and tie.

Speaking of the tie, I'm hoping to put a bunch of green question marks on a (cheap) purple silk tie. Any thoughts on what type of material I should use? I'm a lousy painter, though I'd rather not have something that would fall off.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Sooo, folks who have been to PAX before... will cosplaying as something that hasn't strictly been in a modern video game be looked at funny?

Absolutely not. People dress as stuff not from games all the time. Last year, I saw a pretty great Carl from ATHF. I'm actually considering doing a costume for the first time this year, and none of my potential choices are game characters at all.

BLM - ACAB
    I always envy the cosplayers every year. I want to do one myself, but I know I don't have the energy for everything that WEARING a costume requires, much less the skill and patience to make one to my way-too-high personal standards.
    I didn't think I could make any good cosplay either. But my very first one as pictured over there,
    <<<
    It turned out really well and I got over sixty pics taken of me. And a veteran Enforce always gave me high compliments whenever I passed by him.
    it just takes patience and courage. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just enjoy making it and follow your instincts. Plenty of veteran cosplayers are always happy to give advice, I've noticed.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • HemisphereHemisphere Registered User regular
    For PAX Prime I'm working on...

-Evangeline/Knight Captain Templar armor from Dragon Age: Asunder

-Ginger!FemShep with the Mass Effect 3 version of the N7 armor using mixed materials because some of it just isn't coming together correctly with EVA foam alone

I've also got my Bethany Hawke (Act I) from last year as well as my Hoodie!Shep outfit I lounged around in on Sunday at PAX East so I might utilize one of those as well.

• BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    Hemisphere wrote: »

-Ginger!FemShep with the Mass Effect 3 version of the N7 armor using mixed materials because some of it just isn't coming together correctly with EVA foam alone

I've also got my Bethany Hawke (Act I) from last year as well as my Hoodie!Shep outfit I lounged around in on Sunday at PAX East so I might utilize one of those as well.

Excuse me while I flail over the idea of Evangeline. I will find you and give you all the love.

Excuse me while I flail over the idea of Evangeline. I will find you and give you all the love.

Yay! Please feel free to track me down and we can nerd about DA together if you'd like :D I'm hoping that it turns out well.

• SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User regular
    I've briefly read up on halo armor stuff... I just don't think I have the time to pursue it this year. *tear*

• arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    @Sarahstrasza
    Have you considered doing a Halo marine instead of a Spartan? Less armor to make and you can easily get pieces for it from military surplus stores.

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • LelentalLelental Registered User regular
    Perzephone wrote: »
    Lelental wrote: »
    On Friday I'm doing Gwynevere from Dark Souls

On Saturday I'm doing Zoya from Trine 2 (would LOVE to put together a group for this!!! LF Wizard and Knight!)

On Sunday I'm being Emilia from Dance Central. My friend is going as Miss Aubrey - We'd love to get more of the group, too!!

I didn't know you were coming out to this PAX :D I can't wait to see your cosplays other than on DA and from Vince XD

Bought my 3 day passes at 11:00am yesterday =D For sure going to be there!

• WeeEvil EeveeWeeEvil Eevee TacomaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    i wanna cosplay but all i have are my two Cosplays that i use at Sakura-con which is an anime convention and i have like no umfph to make a cosplay cause well lol im not very good with the making of stuff. my two cosplays are Yachiru from bleach and ITachi from naruto. dont know what to do. any help? thinking Umbreon cosplay. but again not good with sewing and what not.

WeeEvil Eevee on
    edited April 2012
    I've briefly read up on halo armor stuff... I just don't think I have the time to pursue it this year. *tear*
    @Sarahstrasza
    Have you considered doing a Halo marine instead of a Spartan? Less armor to make and you can easily get pieces for it from military surplus stores.
    This is a good idea. Or you could do something like mine.
    Use an old or new military flight suit. Attach a Spartan II insignia patch. then make your own name badge of whichever Spartan you want.
    I can send you the instructions that I used to make my foam/plaster arsenal.

KellyShepard087 on

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • euthanasianeuthanasian Registered User new member

On Saturday I'm doing Zoya from Trine 2 (would LOVE to put together a group for this!!! LF Wizard and Knight!)

On Sunday I'm being Emilia from Dance Central. My friend is going as Miss Aubrey - We'd love to get more of the group, too!!

Yay, Dance Central! I think I'll be going as Glitch all weekend (I have his crew outfit from last year's PAX, and I just recently put together his alternate outfit) and I'll probably drag my bf and friends into costumes as well, haha

• ZombicusZombicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I haven't been able to purchase my badge yet, but I plan on cosplaying again this year. My last PAX was 2010 and my last time cosplaying was '09 (I was blue spy, and it was my first time cosplaying).

This year, I plan to go as Series 5 11th Doctor from Doctor Who. I had a similar worry to cloudeagle's about going as someone not specifically from a video game.
    cosplay2.jpg

Still have the patches to work on, the gold watch, and of course the hair needs to be dyed and grown out by the end of August.

I've been wanting to make the communicator the clerics use in Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone, but the closest thing I've done to such a prop was my Spytron 3000 from PAX09 (made out of a cigarette case and some wood veneer at the last minute). It'll be an interesting endeavor nonetheless.

Zombicus on
    Prime Presence: 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14 | Heading to Prime 2015!
    pinnypals.com/pals/Zombicus
  • ComplexityComplexity Registered User regular
    Zombicus wrote: »
    My last time cosplaying was '09 (I was blue spy
    I saw that on the 405th forums XD
    I'm probably going to switch from the League of Legends Blitzcrank idea back to finishing my half finished halo armor set. I couldn't think of any relatively cheap not tacky looking way to make blitzcrank without pepakura files.

• SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User regular
    Pffft. No idea why I didn't think of just doing a marine. Maybe it's because I look like utter garbage in military threads... I do have one of those nifty light up master chief helms we got from halofest last year.. but my brute boyfriend already broke one of the light clips on the side. (It went up underneath the plastic, and neither of us can snake it back out.) Right now it's also in the air because I am still job searching... probably way too late to request time off should I manage to find anything.

Thanks for the awesome ideas.. I have a lot to ponder now!

• Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Alright, I really want a weapon to have on me for my USS costume, found this and want to make sure it's legit to carry around:
    PS3_Move_Rifle_Gun_Black_%288%29.jpg

It's a Playstation Move Shotgun housing, seems pretty safe to me, right? =P

There's also this one as well:

Logic3+Move+Machine+Gun.jpg

Sharkey1337 on
  • vasarianvasarian Registered User regular
    I did Quorra (Tron Legacy) last year's prime. I am thinking of doing Assassin's Creed - Hellequin this year. Anyone has any pointers on this Cosplay? ;)

P8270593.JPG

@vasarian
    I loved that Quorra cosplay last year. It was amazingly well done.

I have no tips for your AC cosplay, but that charie is freaking hot. I'd love to see cosplay of that.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • vasarianvasarian Registered User regular
    hey thanks! I wish I have gotten clearer pictures of myself in dark. but I need to find a photographer with studio first! ;)

• arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    @Sharkey1337
    check out the weapons policy and rules in the first post of this thread for info on prop weapons.

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Looking at those from the pictures provided, they look like real weapons at a glance. Toy guns that look real at a glance are not allowed. I know the toys themselves are safe, but they do violate the weapons policy. Sorry.

• YamisukoruYamisukoru Registered User regular
    I have a suggestion: would it make it easier for PAX enforcer to have a "Peace Bonding" Booth where anyone with a prop weapon brings it over to have it inspected, and it is deemed safe they would tie a bright ribbon on it and have the person sign a waver stating that they will not use the prop in a menacing manner else they would get in trouble ? if there need to be an example, Sakura Con have peace bonding booth i think some other convention does to. (if this is possible if not it kewl)

Also Last year at PAX Prime 2011... one enforcer basically said my Halo 3 sniper rifle looks to real and have to be put away. this is after I walked by like 10 enforcers which they thumbs up and as well as 1 police officer. just sharing this experience, since i just comply and took it back to the car... that thing was to heavy anyways lol.

this year i'm prepare, have the right prop that won't trigger any problems. :D going to use the Nintendo Wii Penguin United light gun lol
    34140031-2-200-0.gif

also suggestion for props if you don't have time or can't detail a prop there are always those Rubber training weapon which are bright colored.
    Products1426-700x700-402376.jpg

i think these should be ok if not then my bad don't get them lol. Amazon.com sells then they run in the hundreds and the hand gun they are around 20-45$.

this is what they use at the police academy for training.

my costume if you guys see me: Leon S Kennedy RPD uniform, Halo ODST and Maybe... i'll bring my Robocop like last year... but most likely not because someone last year was being a jerk decide to step on my piston and broke it all because I said i couldn't stand for a picture but you can catch me around after i finish my lunch. (had reservation at cheese cake.)

hope some of my info up there helps.

You actually bring up an idea that we are working on internally in order to make costume weapons and our policy easier to implement and more fair. I don't have anything to say about it at this point, if things change you all will be the first to know about it. The long term goal is to make a universal policy that is implemented evenly for all attendees with the minimum amount of impact, while still maintaining our rules of no guns that look real.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm quickly realizing I'm not gonna have any time this summer to work on anything for this year's PAX save for maybe one week off in May. The other week is Tenacious D/Protomen time, June == packing up, July == moving, and August == PAAAAAX. I has a sad. :(

Oh well, maybe I'll reuse my old STALKER costume as a sort of last hurrah for it since STALKER 2 has been canceled.

wWuzwvJ.png
    AaronC wrote: »
    You actually bring up an idea that we are working on internally in order to make costume weapons and our policy easier to implement and more fair. I don't have anything to say about it at this point, if things change you all will be the first to know about it. The long term goal is to make a universal policy that is implemented evenly for all attendees with the minimum amount of impact, while still maintaining our rules of no guns that look real.

That's kewl! hope it's something good. I should I have linked this earlier with my post but here is what Sakura Con policies looks like as far as the props policy: http://sakuracon.org/aboutus/policies.php (have to scroll down to AA. Weapons section) I this would help you guys get some idea too. can't wait to what universal policy you guys come up.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    If I were to go as Starburns, how many people would get it?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    Yamisukoru: I should clarify, there isn't any push to change what is currently allowed or not allowed, its more we're working on how to implement the rules better so they are evenly applied to everyone.

• PerzephonePerzephone Gamer, Cosplayer & Geek :3 SeattleRegistered User regular

I'm also cosplaying Bethany Hawke :D ^_^

edited April 2012

I didn't know you were coming out to this PAX :D I can't wait to see your cosplays other than on DA and from Vince XD

Bought my 3 day passes at 11:00am yesterday =D For sure going to be there!

^_^ Can't wait to finally meet you!

and
    vasarian wrote: »
    I did Quorra (Tron Legacy) last year's prime. I am thinking of doing Assassin's Creed - Hellequin this year. Anyone has any pointers on this Cosplay? ;)

P8270593.JPG

I did Quorra last year as well at PAX ^_^

Perzephone on
  • Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    Looking at those from the pictures provided, they look like real weapons at a glance. Toy guns that look real at a glance are not allowed. I know the toys themselves are safe, but they do violate the weapons policy. Sorry.

Alright, thanks for letting me know before I get them! =)

Guess I'm going with just my fists...

• AlphaMikkiAlphaMikki The Emerald CityRegistered User new member
    edited April 2012
    A usual good way to help get rid of the 'real weapon' look is to get rid of any trigger when possible, I find. May not be foolproof, but it's definitely something that could possibly work?

As for my own cosplay talk to add in here, I wonder how many MMO people like to partake in the world of Grand Fantasia... I'm planning on doing a rendition of my Ranger in the Windtracker armor set. Maybe even make a plushie of my Sprite for a prop rather than bother with weapon props. Wouldn't even know which ones to make at this point. x.x

This is just the image from the wiki, but here's the Windtracker armor for females I intend on making:
    Windtracker_F.png

AlphaMikki on
    Yamisukoru: I should clarify, there isn't any push to change what is currently allowed or not allowed, its more we're working on how to implement the rules better so they are evenly applied to everyone.

ah thanks for clearing that. I had a misunderstanding there. thanks!

• shockwavershockwaver Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    My wife will be going as Revan:
    6295215501_6271f378fa_z.jpg

And I will be going as Carth Onasi.

shockwaver on

Sweet!!!! Which version are you planning on doing? We'll have to get a photo together! I'm still on the fence about cosplaying 3 days in a row but it doesn't need repairs or anything so it'd be easy to do short notice.

Mine looks like this just in case so you'll know who to look for:
    mini-NA_PAX_VANGUARD.jpg

Sweet!!!! Which version are you planning on doing? We'll have to get a photo together! I'm still on the fence about cosplaying 3 days in a row but it doesn't need repairs or anything so it'd be easy to do short notice.

Mine looks like this just in case so you'll know who to look for:
    mini-NA_PAX_VANGUARD.jpg

I remember you :D I took pics of you awesome group last year and saw you shoot with Bill Doran!

This is my Bethany :) I just did her normal one as well, I need to fix the chainmail though. I'm using actual chain and I need to make where it stays on much better.
    https://facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=379056728802976&set=a.364529190255730.85709.364473226927993&type=3&theater

This discussion has been closed.