As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Legend of Korra: PANIC!!!! Episode 4 Is Uploaded!!!!

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    It is the most brilliant alternative to a clip show I've ever seen.

I agree. The only one that competes is the one Reboot did.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6NYnE3gJ5U

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    yes

that was the joke

and it was hilarious

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »
    Clerks also had a great clip show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEpezD0EfSQ

I don't mind clip shows, but that one was just them doing it for the sake of doing it. It was literally the second episode. :?

I think they were trying to make a joke out of the fact that they were doing a clip show when they didn't really have any old clips to work with, but it just annoyed me.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    clip shows are terrible is the point they were making

it was super funny

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Yeah clip shows are basically the worst, unless they're clever like Avatar's, which you couldn't even call a clip show on account of the lack of clips. It was a clever recap episode.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    or community's which didn't eve reuse footage

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    didn't how i met your mother have one? i vaguely remember this happening

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Goatmon, that was the entire point of the Clerk's episode. It was a clip show during the second episode. The episode going back to the "scaling up the building" joke over and over just killed me.

There is absolutely no point to clip shows now. They were somewhat justifiable back when you really couldn't collect a whole season on VHS (not cheaply, at any rate), but even then they were a downer. Nowadays it is just inexcusable to have one. Do shows actually still have them?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    the office had one in season 6

• ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    I recall that Scrubs had one at some point.

• The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Goatmon, that was the entire point of the Clerk's episode. It was a clip show during the second episode. The episode going back to the "scaling up the building" joke over and over just killed me.

There is absolutely no point to clip shows now. They were somewhat justifiable back when you really couldn't collect a whole season on VHS (not cheaply, at any rate), but even then they were a downer. Nowadays it is just inexcusable to have one. Do shows actually still have them?

HIMYM had one and it was awful. I don't know any other shows that have done them, which is good, because they are the worst.

I'm glad to see that riffing on clip shows has become a trend, though, as that usually makes for some fun stuff.
    Yeah clip shows are basically the worst, unless they're clever like Avatar's, which you couldn't even call a clip show on account of the lack of clips. It was a clever recap episode.

I wouldn't even call it a clip show at all since they're basically running a meta gag on the fandom the entire time.

The_Tuninator on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Most shows are clip shows now, since the ones with overarching stories seem to all have a "Previously on...". They tell you exactly what you need to know going in, which is great if you haven't been paying attention.

And really annoying if you have.

sig.gif
    Clip shows haven't ever been anything but a cheap way to fill an episode slot. They weren't even useful during vhs days because even small children who liked a show could remember all that shit.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I don't remember anything resembling a HIMYM clip show.

They do reuse stuff a lot, but always to add a different perspective.

Jimothy on
    Has become a trend?

The Clerks episode aired in the late 90s. Shit, even the Simpsons made fun of themselves when they eventually did it.

Their first clip show episode was called "So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show"

YL9WnCY.png
  • The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Most shows are clip shows now, since the ones with overarching stories seem to all have a "Previously on...". They tell you exactly what you need to know going in, which is great if you haven't been paying attention.

And really annoying if you have.

I always hated those on Avatar. Spoiled the random returning characters every time.

That said, the Korra "previously on" reel is glorious, and the only one of its kind which really does not annoy me.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Martian Successor Nadesco's clip show hurt my brain.

I think Nick demanded that those refresher clips be put in.

YL9WnCY.png
    The refresher clips were annoying the first time through but I found them fairly clever on a rewatch. They do a really good job of getting you up to speed on what you need to know to fully enjoy the episode. Yeah, it spoils who you're going to meet, but not any of the actual content.

• AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    I want to see some Republic City political cartoons

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    A fat catrabbit labeled The Council.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Avraham wrote: »
    I want to see some Republic City political cartoons

I'm imagining a lot of sad-looking dinomammals labeled "avatar"

0BnD8l3.gif
    edited April 2012
    -Tal wrote: »
    and sure he has three ponytails and smells like a lady, but look at DAT CHIN

Tarrlok2.png

Beauty-disneyscreencapscom-1721-1-.jpg

Goatmon on

the Avatar would be represented by a giant polar bear dog

and then there's the platypus bear of probending

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    pee-pee

doo-doo

she is a bad avatar

PNk1Ml4.png
    the statue of Toph, crying but facing the wrong way

edited April 2012

Yeah I mentioned that this was the case in the post you're responding to, and I mentioned that I jsut didn't find it funny at all.

I agree that they aren't necessary, but there is certainly a point in it. Sometimes people don't catch a show until a ways into the season or something. Those episodes are thrown in largely so people who are new can catch up without having to rent or buy anything.

I don't think it's a very efficient way to accomplish this, but one or two clip episodes in a show isn't going to kill the fun.

Goatmon on

TankHammer wrote: »
    It is the most brilliant alternative to a clip show I've ever seen.

I agree. The only one that competes is the one Reboot did.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6NYnE3gJ5U

That was absolutely brilliant. However it was just a short bit at the end of the final episode of S3, and wasn't really a clip show. If anything, it was a very creative "Last Time on Reboot".

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    So the D&D Korra thread is being taken over by Amon sympathizers.

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    and sure he has three ponytails and smells like a lady, but look at DAT CHIN

Tarrlok2.png

Beauty-disneyscreencapscom-1721-1-.jpg

It don't mean a butt if it ain't got that jut

Well he's a terrorist, whatever his agenda, so those people are silly.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular

I don't mind clip shows, but that one was just them doing it for the sake of doing it. It was literally the second episode. :?

I think they were trying to make a joke out of the fact that they were doing a clip show when they didn't really have any old clips to work with, but it just annoyed me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76p_ncbffCE

BLM - ACAB
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The Clerks Clipshow was originally episode 5 I think. So the joke was pretty much the same but some clips were actually from the show.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular

I am unsurprised

0BnD8l3.gif
    edited April 2012

Is it? I looked over the last two pages and all I see is ridiculously drawn out arguments about Azula going crazy and how illogical it is.

I try to read the posts but my brain just isn't having it and my eyes just glaze over.

Goatmon on

The Clerks Clipshow was originally episode 5 I think. So the joke was pretty much the same but some clips were actually from the show.

Nope.

Clip show was episode 2. It had clips from the previous single episode, clips that weren't from anything, and clips from earlier in the show.

Also, I liked how they did a "Previously, on Clerks" gag for the first episode and it was just a test pattern.

BLM - ACAB
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular

It was the second, but the the fourth episode was aired first so the callback's made even less sense.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

It was the second, but the the fourth episode was aired first so the callback's made even less sense.

Oh that's right.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    The Geek wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76p_ncbffCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWmAez71uMY&feature=related

touché

BLM - ACAB
This discussion has been closed.