As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NBA: Jordan Leading the Bobcats to the promised land.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Rose-less bulls are still the second best team in the East. They could easily make the ECF. They are by no means a lock to get there, and the loss of rose could easily break them, but I still think itll be heat bulls in the ECF. So, unless Lebron gets hurt too, its an easy stroll to the finals for the Heat.

Poor D-rose. Because of his makeup, you just know this is absolutely destorying him. And hes such a solid guy that you really feel bad for him. I was telling my wife that if I could, I would easily trade tearing my ACL to save D-rose's. She thought it was some noble sacrifice, but I had to convince her that it was purely selfish. My life would be better if MY acl was torn instead of his, thats how much I was looking forward to these playoffs. Strictly for my OWN enjoyment, I would rather have my ACL torn.

Plus, Id get to eat all the ice cream I want, right, thats how these things work? I havent had a series medical condition or injury since I was a child...

616610-1.png
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    What the fuck.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    All credit to the Clippers bench I guess?? I mean yeesh. That 4th quarter.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    fuck

just

just fuck

fuck gendered marketing
  • DversedDversed Registered User regular
    Holy shit. I turned that game off at the half.
    I think I have to buy a clipper shirt to atone for my sins.

It felt like the crowd was preparing for mass suicide at the end

just

fuck

fuck gendered marketing
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    Well, that was pretty neat. :rotate:

(for anyone who missed it)
    My only regret is forgetting I had it on ESPN, so I didn't get to hear Ralph Lawler losing his shit as it happened live. But that's what late-night replays on Fox Sports are for.

fuck

fuck gendered marketing
    I have a feeling the same TV analysts saying "You have to play until the very end" tonight were the same ones criticizing Thibs for having Rose in the game late.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Wow, what a comeback.

TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Wow, what a collapse

fixed

fuck gendered marketing
  • Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Speaking of the Brooklyn Nets from the last page, their new logos have been released, as designed by Jay-Z:

Q2vZ2.jpg

Looks good! I like the white/black color scheme and the classic, simple lines. I like that clothing and accessories with this on it could be integrated into your casual wardrobe without your looking like some weird Superfan. (The opposite would be something like the bright, pumpkin-colored hats from the 1980's-era Houston Astros...)

They look oddly cool and pretty retro. But why didn't they go for a name change?

I dont get the shield though. Like, a shield has nothing to do with the nets. So when it gets broken down to just shield and B, it really isnt very telling.

Then again, basketball logos are the worst logos, so this is remarkably good still. Both Washington logos have looked like they were designed by a child and the owners brother who "photoshops" respectively.

616610-1.png
    I think the Nets logo is pretty mediocre. Lettering over a basketball is so generic, it's already used by the Lakers, Clippers, Pistons, Knicks, and Cavs.

I also think they should have kept red and/or blue as part of their color scheme. Black and white is bland. And the Nets aren't an expansion franchise, nor were they forced to leave their colors behind like the Thunder had to. It seems like they're cutting off ties to their rich history with the new color scheme. This is the franchise that made Dr. J a household name, after all.

• sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    So happy to see LBJ crushing... maybe people will quit the silly "Carmelo is one of the guys in the league who can give Lebron problems, outplay him in a series" stuff. Mostly Simmons I guess, but still. It was irritating.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    this dallas/okc game is good

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Too good for them to not come back to Oklahoma for a game 5 with a 2-2 series tie.

Amare with the most hilarious sports injury since Gus Frerotte concussed himself by headbutting a concrete wall.
    A frustrated Amare Stoudemire punched glass casing surrounding a fire extinguisher minutes after the New York Knicks' loss to the Miami Heat, according to a team source. The Knicks power forward suffered lacerations on his left hand which required stitches.

A league source told ESPNNewYork.com that Stoudemire is "almost certain" to miss Game 3 on Thursday in New York and there is a possibility that Stoudemire could miss the rest of the series.
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7875526/2012-nba-playoffs-amare-stoudemire-new-york-knicks-injures-hand-loss

It's usually never cool to laugh or mock a guy getting hurt, but c'mon. :lol:

hahahaha

ArxtqSiCQAAtPLb.jpg
    Arxw4_8CQAAZO3g.png

• jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    -

jackisreal on
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Just realized JR Smith looks identical to Fruit from the Wire

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Pierce

with

the

DAGGER

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Poor Bulls :(

• ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    I'll admit to rooting for the Heat in the East, but damn...seeing how the Bulls just collapsed tonight makes me sad. I really like that team, and it's pretty clear that their spirit is just broken. Which is not cool, considering how tough and badass they've been this whole year.

Profs wrote: »
    I'll admit to rooting for the Heat in the East, but damn...seeing how the Bulls just collapsed tonight makes me sad. I really like that team, and it's pretty clear that their spirit is just broken. Which is not cool, considering how tough and badass they've been this whole year.

It's totally different waiting for your star to come back versus knowing he won't be coming back.

Reminds me of the Clippers 2 years ago. Blake Griffin got hurt in the preseason. Through mid-January the Clippers held their own, going 17-19 as they waited for Griffin to return. The hope was that Griffin's return would help spark a run towards a playoff seed.

Then news came out that Griffin had suffered setbacks in his rehab and would require season-ending surgery. The Clippers promptly went into the tank, going 12-34 over the remaining schedule. It was obvious from watching them that year that the fight had gone out of them following the Griffin news.

edited May 2012
    Eh, this bulls team is better then that. Thibs is better than that. They will bounce back. Steal home court back and probably win in 6. That was rough. It was hard to watch and just depressing at times. Its like they went into half time and someone saw Rose's locker and they all started crying. But I dont think they wont get back up and still make a run to the ECF.

If they get beat bad again in game 3 then I will change my mind.

Im actually glad they got crushed in a weird way. I had sort of stopped caring about these playoffs and this bulls team because I went "well they have no chance at winning it all so who cares."

But after that loss, I am now invested in them picking themselves back up and fighting. That loss transformed them from crippled giant, to underdog, which is a much more interesting story for these playoffs.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
    Once they start giving Scalabrine 35 min a game, they'll start to win again

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    I'm not saying the Bulls can't come back.

But it's not a matter of just "they're better than that." A loss of motivation is a huge difference between success and failure in a league as competitive as the NBA.

Just look at Lamar Odom from last year to this year. From the best 6th man in the league to a guy who looks like he doesn't even belong in the NBA, all based on a loss of motivation.

I tend to agree with BubbaT on this point. The #1 thing to look at when assessing a team's motivation is their defense. Teams can miss shots, players can have off-nights, but defense is usually going to be a consistent factor borne of consistent effort. And usually, the Bulls are the league's top defensive team whether Rose is on or off the court.

Last night, they were slow on rotations and couldn't defend the pick and pop to save their lives. This is not like them.

And while some of the blame goes to Rose's bench replacements in John Lucas and C.J. Watson--two of the worst man defenders on the team--there were plenty of mistakes also being made by great defensive stoppers like Noah and Deng, who usually give each game their all.

It sounds cheesy, but that is what an emotionally broken team can often look like.

Another factor is that since the Bulls are missing Rose's offense, each player has to step up their own offensive game that much more, leaving less energy to dedicate on the defensive end.

Great players are great two-way players, of course, but the Bulls as currently constructed are not a team of great players. They are a team of very good players and one great player who had his season, and hopefully not his career, so cruelly cut short.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So happy to see LBJ crushing... maybe people will quit the silly "Carmelo is one of the guys in the league who can give Lebron problems, outplay him in a series" stuff. Mostly Simmons I guess, but still. It was irritating.

Same. If I hear one more person mention Carmelo Anthony in the same sentence as LBJ, I'll scream. I'm not even a Heat fan (Rip City baby!), but LBJ is better than Anthony in every conceivable way. Melo has one thing he could be better at than LBJ, which is scoring...but he's not even really better at that. Carmelo Anthony is an amazing scorer...LBJ is a transcendent player.

Name another player in the NBA who can guard all five positions, put up 30 points pretty much whenever he wants, and regularly has double digit assists. He is also the fastest player to each every scoring milestone, 1 through 19k. He's going to shatter most statistical records before he retires. The only possible knock on LeBron is his "heart", but he really just needs to win a ring and that goes away.

Also, he loves to play in the Garden. The Knicks better watch out, he might put 50 on them tonight. Some of his biggest games have been at the Garden.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited May 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    LBJ is better than Anthony in every conceivable way. Melo has one thing he could be better at than LBJ, which is scoring...but he's not even really better at that. Carmelo Anthony is an amazing scorer...LBJ is a transcendent player.

I'd say Melo's a better pure shooter and FT shooter, but that's about it

I don't really understand getting frustrated about the statement "Carmelo is one of the few guys who can outplay Lebron in a series". It's true. Just because Carmelo most likely won't doesn't mean he can't. I don't think there are a ton of guys in the league who have a non-zero chance of having a larger impact than Bron over 7 games but he'd have to be one of them.

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    LBJ is better than Anthony in every conceivable way. Melo has one thing he could be better at than LBJ, which is scoring...but he's not even really better at that. Carmelo Anthony is an amazing scorer...LBJ is a transcendent player.

I don't really understand getting frustrated about the statement "Carmelo is one of the few guys who can outplay Lebron in a series". It's true. Just because Carmelo most likely won't doesn't mean he can't. I don't think there are a ton of guys in the league who have a non-zero chance of having a larger impact than Bron over 7 games but he'd have to be one of them.

The statement was more about giving LBJ trouble, with Carmelo can't do. He could theoretically outplay him over a series, but it's unlikely. And he's certainly not going to give James "trouble", because Melo can barely guard an inanimate object, let alone James. We all know good offense can break down and beat good defense, the whole "You can't stop him, just contain him", but James is a good enough defender to do quite a bit of containing.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited May 2012
    y2jake215 wrote: »

The statement was more about giving LBJ trouble, with Carmelo can't do. He could theoretically outplay him over a series, but it's unlikely. And he's certainly not going to give James "trouble", because Melo can barely guard an inanimate object, let alone James. We all know good offense can break down and beat good defense, the whole "You can't stop him, just contain him", but James is a good enough defender to do quite a bit of containing.

Well giving LeBron problems could mean on the defensive end, which is true. I agree LeBron won't have a ton of trouble scoring on Carmelo, but the other way around could cause him problems

e: I'm just going by that one specific quote though. Haven't heard anyone specifically say, "Carmelo could give LeBron problems on the offensive end," but if someone has, yeah, I agree, that's dumb

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    The only possible knock on LeBron is his "heart", but he really just needs to win a ring and that goes away.

Actually no, it won't. He has to win a bunch of rings for that to go away. Only one ring and people will still say he didn't realize his potential. But I doubt he has the same insane desire to win like Jordan or Kobe. If he had - he'd have a ring by now and we'd be writing off the next few years as "so, who's gonna be second behind the Heat". He already had a few chances to win a ring, and on some occasions he failed a round earlier - and while Jordan for instance also needed 7 years for everything to come together to win, I think his early failures was because he tried to do everything himself and didn't trust his teammates enough. James defers too much when it matters instead of just taking over.

Switch James for Chris Paul on that Heat team and no way are the Mavs winning the 2011 title and the Heat would be the heavy favorite again this year.

• PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    wow, i've never seen a more disinterested looking jazz team

also ty corbin should probably get canned

pmdunk.jpg
    fuck yeah grizzzzzzzzzz

fuck gendered marketing
    Who else is available? Hire Nate McMillan? Promote Jeff Hornacek? Get Sloan back somehow?

SabreMau wrote: »
    Who else is available? Hire Nate McMillan? Promote Jeff Hornacek? Get Sloan back somehow?

McMillan would be more of a sidegrade, except whoops, it may turn out that Portland's continued lack of success was more than just injury-related. It's possible he's even worse than Corbin.

Hornacek is a completely unknown quantity, and sometimes coaching requires more than a deadly shooting stroke when Karl Malone gets doubled.

Reports from earlier in the year were that Jerry Sloan might be interested in coaching again, but that would take a whole lot of bridge building and renewed support from management for him to actually coach the Jazz again.

There's always clinging to false rumors that Phil Jackson is going to come back to coaching? (Works for delusional Knicks fans.)

And yes, a Rockets - Spurs series would have been a hell of a lot more competitive. Houston was a 5th through 8th seed through much of the regular season before they were sidelined with injuries to their best players. Those guys would finally be coming back to form right about now, and would have at least kept the games close.

Yeah, I don't know if Hornacek would be a good or bad thing, but he's an assistant coach now and at least I recognize the name, while Corbin came seemingly out of nowhere.

Just haven't been up to date on which head coaches are looking for jobs, aside from thinking of McMillan because I live in Portland. If Corbin flubs the rest of the series so badly that he's out the door by offseason, one would expect them to look for a long-term coach rather than an interim that's then kept on for the following year.

This discussion has been closed.