As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Moebius] and MAYBE GABRIEL KNIGHT 4?! Update on the Jane Jensen [KICKSTARTER]

• FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Raggie wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Really, GK1 is fine the way it is.

It's fine for us, but I'd love to introduce the game to a new generation of gamers, and most of them wouldn't touch something so old. I've heard some even complaining they can't make out what the graphics are supposed to represent. I guess pixelated graphics take some getting used to.

yeah, things like snake tracks in the grass on a pixellated screen? If I wasn't trained in games that looked SO MUCH WORSE than GK1 from Sierra, I don't think my eyes would catch the visual clues of the pixellated art.

Ha!
    I got stuck on that back in around the time it came out because I didn't see it then (that could really stand to be somewhat more obvious). And the game was pretty back then (I think it still is, but hey, I'm old and outdated.) In fact, that particular bit was why I could never progress past Day 3 or 4 or so.. since without that snake scale you can't compare, means you can't link to the museum, etc etc.

It really depends on the player. The truly new generation, I have no idea, I don't really recommend games to people considerably younger than me often (well, except when I'm peddling Planescape Torment every now and again, I suppose). I've recommended the game to people at around my age that weren't really gamers (beyond, the Sims and a few other titles here and there) and that seemed to generally go well. The graphics not really being a huge problem, as far as I could tell.

I guess my concern would be that a remake might make the graphics lose some of the charm. The character sprites are pretty outdated these days, but the character portraits still look great. I'm basically afraid of change :P

• RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    The character portraits are scans of hand-drawn art, so the portraits would look the same, only in higher resolution. I don't think there would be that much of a change in GK1. Now, GK2 and GK3 on the other hand...

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Jane recently had a podcast interview with Gamesradar and in it, she told that GK remakes are very likely to happen, and she's already talking with Activision. That is, if the kickstart will be succesful and once Moebius is done.

Raggie on
    ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Jane recently had a podcast interview with Gamesradar and in it, she told that GK remakes are very likely to happen, and she's already talking with Activision. That is, if the kickstart will be succesful and once Moebius is done.

:!:

I am intrigued

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Right now it looks like the kickstarter could go either way.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Over a fortnight for 50k? I reckon they'll make it. If not then there's nothing in the rules about them bankrolling the final chunk themselves as I doubt they're willing to just forget the whole idea at this point.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Over a fortnight for 50k? I reckon they'll make it. If not then there's nothing in the rules about them bankrolling the final chunk themselves as I doubt they're willing to just forget the whole idea at this point.

They would have to self-deposit it into the kickstarter though, because if the number doesn't hit 300k, then the funds go back to all the people who donated.

I plan on giving more near the end, just in case.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Right now it looks like the kickstarter could go either way.

No way. Like no way in hell it doesn't reach it.

It would have to stagnat at its current rate for it not to reach the goal. This game will get media exposure again shortly before the end. Not to mention as soon as the LSL Kickstarter ends (In 2 days) it will get another bump due to Sierra fans swapping over.

So, IMO most likely it will reach its goal even before the last day(s) bump.

C2B on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    It has been one of the more pro-active Kickstarters in terms of marketing itself.

steam_sig.png
    The pledges have been flatlining for a bit, but they've picked up again. I think the news of a possible GK4 have encouraged new pledges.

At any rate, it doesn't look likely the kickstart will go much over the 300,000, which is a bit sad considering how several others have funded several times over the initial goal.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    I just realized the average backer of this project has donated 71$. For the Banner Saga the average pledge was 36$, 51$ for Shadowrun, 38$ for Tim Schafer's kickstart and 46$ for Leisure Suit Larry. The most dedicated backers of a game kickstart so far?

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    Pledges are increasing, people are swapping over from the Larry Kickstarter and help establish some community driven stuff;

So awesome.

45k away

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Josh Mandel is also sending everyone over to the Jane Jensen Kickstarter in the Video thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj8NePtKP-8

at 3:00

This article discusses remastering GK1 for the iPad. That's actually one benefit of remakes I didn't think of: new platforms! I'd love to see it happen.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    How do iPad adventure games handle pixel hunting? You can't really scan an area like you can with a mouse.

steam_sig.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The short answer is badly. Solutions I have seen include giving you a little magnified pop up if you hold and sweep your finger around the screen (fiddly) or something you can do to highlight all the interactables on the screen (swinging a bit far into giving the whole game away).

MhCw7nZ.gif
    The short answer is badly. Solutions I have seen include giving you a little magnified pop up if you hold and sweep your finger around the screen (fiddly) or something you can do to highlight all the interactables on the screen (swinging a bit far into giving the whole game away).

I don't think highlighting the items would make the game too easy. Lots of adventure games do it. Besides, GK1 is a difficult game and there's a trend towards easy adventure games these days. If the remake would supposed to be an introduction to the series for new people, being easier wouldn't hurt.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    edited May 2012
    Dean Erickson. The Actor who portrayed Gabriel in GK2 shows his support for the campaign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJkF8IXUMyE

Donations are now pretty steadily rising after the Larry Kickstarter. At 265'000 at the moment.

C2B on
    Just posted by Jane:

"We have a new kickstarter main video coming today or tomorrow and some Moebius art by Sunday plus the Moebius T-shirt design."

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    edited May 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di0bQJuMLHA

Second Adventure confirmed with publisher support. (600'000 does not need to be made)

C2B on
    Mystery Game X! And it'll be cooler than Mystery Game Y!

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    If that game is not Gabriel Knight 4 / GK1 remake, I will eat my own hat.

She would not be so vague if it wasn't going to be such a big deal.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    Whatever it is (and I am hoping it is something Gabriel Knight related for sure), I'm excited :D

edited May 2012

Then, that publisher would be Activision. Not to be a downer but I have pretty big doubts.

Kickstart is now close to/at 280'000.

C2B on
    C2B wrote: »

Then, that publisher would be Activision. Not to be a downer but I have pretty big doubts.

Kickstart is now close to/at 280'000.
    OR, that publisher is another studio entirely (like TellTale), who secured the use of the license from activision/blizzard.

Just saying that there are a large number of possibilities here.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Now there's info on the creative review books. And now I'm sad I'm not getting a hardcover one. :(

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    300'000 and funding reached!

... is what I would say if I was actually around when it happened. For now its only 1'000 away and will reach the goal in a short time.

Still 13 days to go too. Happy days.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Ah. The deal has improved. The big box version of Moebius is on the $100 tier and both are big boxed and signed on the other. This is catching my interest now.

• mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ah. The deal has improved. The big box version of Moebius is on the $100 tier and both are big boxed and signed on the other. This is catching my interest now.

I *think* the signing specifically pertains to the GK design bible, although it's not quite clear. It's also digital signing, which makes me wonder if they're talking it in the pure encryption sense - not much fun to look at, but a legally-binding signature - or the layman's sense - basically a scan of the signature so you have a nice visual. The smart move would be to make it both.

I was toying with upping to the $200 level, but if I *do* that I might as well make a further jump to the $224 level and get the complete set of GK bibles.

mattclem on
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    I just realized the average backer of this project has donated 71$. For the Banner Saga the average pledge was 36$, 51$ for Shadowrun, 38$ for Tim Schafer's kickstart and 46$ for Leisure Suit Larry. The most dedicated backers of a game kickstart so far?
    Or that it drives away small time kickbackers? I haven't backed the project yet. The whole pay 3 times the price of one game to get 2-3 games discouraged me. Specially as one of them was kiddy game I wasn't even interested in.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
    jammu wrote: »
    Or that it drives away small time kickbackers? I haven't backed the project yet. The whole pay 3 times the price of one game to get 2-3 games discouraged me. Specially as one of them was kiddy game I wasn't even interested in.
    Well, the rate for one game seems reasonable, but it's a fair point that it'd be nice if there was a tier for both major games but none of the fancy other stuff. I guess you could get the first tier twice?

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I still haven't donated yet but I still think I'm going with the $250 tier.

They are in PA, right? I could totally make it to PA for a Scarlet Furies concert.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Drez wrote: »
    I still haven't donated yet but I still think I'm going with the $250 tier.

They are in PA, right? I could totally make it to PA for a Scarlet Furies concert.

That's going to be a weird party, if awesome in a way. The one thing all guests will have in common? Being willing to drop $250 on a game. That's quite the icebreaker!

I'd probably stretch to that if it was remotely feasible for me to make it there. That said, I quite like the fact that it's not possible for me to make it to force me to sanity-check my funding.

Backers
    $303,666
    pledged of $300,000 goal

;)

I just woke up and had several "Congrats" on skype. I'm like, what?

A big thank you to the 10K backer. Hugely appreciated! And also to everyone who has been commenting and doubling and bannering and spreading the word.

jammu wrote: »
    Or that it drives away small time kickbackers?

Small time kickbackers can shell out 16$ for one game, which is IMO more than reasonable.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    Since they have the Erikson doing a clip, I am wondering if they are going to do GK4 and he is doing the voice of Gabriel.

edited May 2012
    Since they have the Erikson doing a clip, I am wondering if they are going to do GK4 and he is doing the voice of Gabriel.

I see GK4 as the end of a project where they try to resurrect the franchise.

GK1 with a graphics update but 100% pitch perfect gameplay (think like what they did for Monkey Island) on Win/Mac/iPad. Drum up good sales, get the world talking about it... make some money.

GK2 needs it the most out of the three games, but it is also the hardest to re-do with the old assets, as I assume they don't have the individual mic audio channels any more, and some of the recording quality is less than stellar. If they remake GK2 in the style of GK1 (remake) or Moebius, they will probably need to bring him in to read some new lines, or possibly even an entire script.

I am loathe to want a remake in that style for GK3, as large numbers of the puzzles were built around using the camera, and they would have to re-script the entire game for the new perspective. Plus, having just played it, the graphics are not so terrible that people couldn't understand what was going on if they wanted to play it.

so remake 1 and 2, use it to remake 4(which should open with an intro movie that gives the important plot points from 3 to the player before dropping them into scotland or india or wherever she decides to go next)... and if 4 is CRAZY successful, THEN go back and tackle 3.

edit this would be my perfect world, but whatever she decided to do, I am there with bells on.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116

He did the clip because one fan alerted him about the kickstarter in Facebook.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    Yeah. It is probably more publicity than anything. It just seems odd.