As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

books

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Oh man I love me some Tecate

just sit out by the pool and drink hella Tecates and get tore up and pass out in the hot sun

tecate is my favorite beer for this

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Okay, I'm thinking of reading some Conan until I can get Dance With Dragons next week.

I figure it is probably less dense but still entertaining enough to keep my interest in reading up til next week.

Well actually the goddamn end of Feast For Crows has got me all flustered to get my hands on the next one.

• FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    hey whoever was offering to format books into .mobi or whatever the Kindle format is

could that marvelous person maybe do that for Film Crit Hulk's screenwriting book thing?

here are the links

http://badassdigest.com/2012/01/12/screenwriting-101-1-of-2/

http://badassdigest.com/2012/01/12/screenwriting-101-2-of-2/

I wouldn't want anything special, just the text in a format my Kindle can read!

if anyone can make that work let me know

oh my goodness this would be wonderful

I'm like 14 pages too late on this but just so you know you just need to download Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) and press like 4 buttons to convert any kind of ebook file into any other kind. I'm sure there are other programs out there as well, some might even work better than this.

sig2.jpg
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Just a reminder to people who weren't in the first time around that the new Book Club for this month has started voting. If you want to join us in nominating a book, please send @Cilla Black or myself a PM and we'll hook ya up. Otherwise as soon as we pick the book you're welcome to read along, whether or not you're part of the voting process!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Book thread, help a girl out. I finished Maximum City, the nonfiction book about Bombay - which was, by the way, incredible - and now I am staring at the hundreds of books I own and I can't pick a new one to read.

I try very hard to never be between books, by jugging a fiction and nonfiction at all times, but Maximum City was so engrossing that everything else fell by the wayside. (Seriously, if you are interested in a book covering the following: Jainism, Islamic hitmen, Hindu mafia, crossdressers, bar girls, slumdwellers, and corrupt cops, you should probably read it.) Now everything is a disaster and I cannot read anything at all.

I've been thinking of one of the following:
    The One From the Other (the next in the Bernie Gunther series, about a private detective in Berlin from the 30's to the 50's)
    The Hunter (the first Parker novel)
    Post-Captain (second book of the Aubrey-Maturin series)
    Parrot & Olivier in America
    Bitter Seeds (a fantasy-scifi about Nazi supermen and British demon soldiers I guess?)
    Clouds & Ashes (a weird folkloric series of novellas set in some other world)
    Lost City Radio (about a woman who runs a radio show connecting lost/missing to those searching for them in a fictional South American country)

There are so many more, too! But none of them seem just right. I am panicking, guys, I think I need to put my head between my knees and take deep breaths.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    How is the Aubrey-Maturin series? I ask seeing as you've only read the first one, but I've heard of it and am curious.

I loved the shit out of the first one. It's good and bloody, and also humorous and nautically accurate.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    I was reading a radical feminist blog last night and she linked to Intercourse, by Andrea Dworkin. The sample chapter was really interesting so I bought it and so far it's completely engrosing.

Of course my Kindle decided that this was the appropriate time to use nothing but the (tasteful) nudes I've installed as screensavers. Damnit, me. Way to make myself feel like a terrible feminist.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    read the Parker novels!

not that i've read them. i've only read the darwyn cooke adaptations. but i want you to so you can tell me if they're any good.

also who uses naked ladies as screensavers? think of the children

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    read the Parker novels!

not that i've read them. i've only read the darwyn cooke adaptations. but i want you to so you can tell me if they're any good.

the parker novels are fantastic and if you like the cooke versions you like the originals

they're literally 1:1

edited April 2012

Who has two thumbs and a few artistic nudes among his screensavers? This guy.

Anyway, yeah, I'm probably going to get rid of them now.

Legba on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The Cooke Parker graphic novels are astounding in quality

Antimatter on
    Antimatter wrote: »
    The Cooke Parker graphic novels are astounding in quality

yeah i read cooke's adaptation of the hunter to like

see how he pulled it off

mind you this is about an hour after i blasted through The Hunter in under a day

i was astounded by how well he adapted it, almost word for word, into pictures

fun fact: out of the many adaptations of the hunter, cooke's is the only one where westlake allowed them to call the main character "parker"

its the only one he thought was good enough

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    @Lost Salient

Lost City Radio sounds extremely compelling to me
    Please read that and tell me what you think

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Yeah Lost City Radio sounds pretty cool. Or maybe Clouds and Ashes? That one sentence summary seems compelling enough.

• ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    I just started in on cormac mccarthy's suttree, the source of the semitic chapbook quote

read the intro, which is about four pages, and I just had to put it down because damn this is a good book

here's a larger section if you want the context:
    [On a deserted Tennessee riverbank by night] where hunters and woodcutters once slept in their boots by the dying light of their thousand fires and went on, old teutonic forebears with eyes incandesced by the visionary light of a massive rapacity, wave on wave of the violent and the insane, their brains stoked with spoorless analogues of all that was, lean aryans with their abrogate semitic chapbook reenacting the dramas and parables therein and mindless and pale with a longing that nothing save dark's total restitution could appease.

thenews.jpg
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Book thread, help a girl out. I finished Maximum City, the nonfiction book about Bombay - which was, by the way, incredible - and now I am staring at the hundreds of books I own and I can't pick a new one to read.

I try very hard to never be between books, by jugging a fiction and nonfiction at all times, but Maximum City was so engrossing that everything else fell by the wayside. (Seriously, if you are interested in a book covering the following: Jainism, Islamic hitmen, Hindu mafia, crossdressers, bar girls, slumdwellers, and corrupt cops, you should probably read it.) Now everything is a disaster and I cannot read anything at all.

I've been thinking of one of the following:
    The One From the Other (the next in the Bernie Gunther series, about a private detective in Berlin from the 30's to the 50's)
    The Hunter (the first Parker novel)
    Post-Captain (second book of the Aubrey-Maturin series)
    Parrot & Olivier in America
    Bitter Seeds (a fantasy-scifi about Nazi supermen and British demon soldiers I guess?)
    Clouds & Ashes (a weird folkloric series of novellas set in some other world)
    Lost City Radio (about a woman who runs a radio show connecting lost/missing to those searching for them in a fictional South American country)

There are so many more, too! But none of them seem just right. I am panicking, guys, I think I need to put my head between my knees and take deep breaths.

i've been alternating Maximum City and Pale Fire and been a little put off by the former

does it get a little less autobiographical/"the life of pi" at any point?

also pale fire is fucking incredible and you should read the berlin PI series because it sounds excellent

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Arang wrote: »
    I just started in on cormac mccarthy's suttree, the source of the semitic chapbook quote

read the intro, which is about four pages, and I just had to put it down because damn this is a good book

here's a larger section if you want the context:
    [On a deserted Tennessee riverbank by night] where hunters and woodcutters once slept in their boots by the dying light of their thousand fires and went on, old teutonic forebears with eyes incandesced by the visionary light of a massive rapacity, wave on wave of the violent and the insane, their brains stoked with spoorless analogues of all that was, lean aryans with their abrogate semitic chapbook reenacting the dramas and parables therein and mindless and pale with a longing that nothing save dark's total restitution could appease.

every time i read cormac mccarthy i can't help but hear it in my friend's beat poet/Spoken Word Open Mic Night voice

I would say the beginning and the end range into the author's life but the middle is generally not so much so.

I have never read The Life of Pi because it seemed annoying and not like something I'm interested in, so I do not have a comparison there.

And I am in fact reading The One From the Other, but I'm probably going to read Lost City Radio after that depending on whether Book Club picks a fiction or a non-fiction for this month.

Which by the way is a reminder for people to submit your nominations by Friday!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    edited May 2012
    double posts can suck iiit

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Lies Across America was really, really good. And Lies My Teacher Told Me is shaping up to be just as great. Both books are fascinating.

And I started the second book of the First Law trilogy, and it is off to a good start too.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Dy8OI.jpg

welp

Xehalus on
    edited May 2012
    today i finally finished read dave cullen's book on columbine

it's called columbine (weird right)

it is absolutely fantastic and is probably the single best piece of journalism surrounding what happened there and you should read it because seriously it is just damn

the first part of the book walks through the day of the attack from a couple of perspectives: victims, family members, and the killers

after that it alternates between chapters detailing harris and klebold meeting and coming up with the idea and the plan and the various things that led to it (hint: it was literally none of the things that it was reported to be, harris was a fucking psychopath and klebold was depressed as hell and latched onto his best friend, that's basically it) and chapters about the aftermath and the survivors

it's absolutely fantastic

seriously

the audiobook is also really good, whoever reads it has basically the perfect dramatic voice for this

Buttlord on
    Xehalus wrote: »
    Dy8OI.jpg

welp

Tell me you bought this

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    today i finally finished read dave cullen's book on columbine

it's called columbine (weird right)

it is absolutely fantastic and is probably the single best piece of journalism surrounding what happened there and you should read it because seriously it is just damn

the first part of the book walks through the day of the attack from a couple of perspectives: victims, family members, and the killers

after that it alternates between chapters detailing harris and klebold meeting and coming up with the idea and the plan and the various things that led to it (hint: it was literally none of the things that it was reported to be, harris was a fucking psychopath and klebold was depressed as hell and latched onto his best friend, that's basically it) and chapters about the aftermath and the survivors

it's absolutely fantastic

seriously

the audiobook is also really good, whoever reads it has basically the perfect dramatic voice for this

This is all true. That book should be required reading in High School.

• SiLlYxAzNSiLlYxAzN Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Any recommendations? I'm trying to find some good books to read :)

I bought The Hunger Games last night and only finished it this morning because I fell asleep at 7am on the second to last page.

So hey you guys, it's quite good.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Great, now I have forumers and RLers telling me to read that book. Maybe I will someday.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    SiLlYxAzN wrote: »

Do you want to read fiction or non-fiction? What genre?

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    When are we voting on book club next? I finished Something Wicked This Way Comes last night, and need to start something new, but if it is book club time again soon I can stall a bit for that.

I am in my reading cycle for something difficult next. It's looking like Paradise Lost, The Decameron, or Infinite Jest.

Fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, just about anything but not romance novels or non-fiction lol

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

Fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, just about anything but not romance novels or non-fiction lol

Sci-fi: Some Alastair Reynolds. House of Suns is good.

I had no interest in the book or movie until I saw a video praising it on Feminist Frequency. And it was only $5 for the Kindle version of the first book, so I figured what the heck.

It has a very well written protagonist. And it's not super long - or at least it didn't feel like it - while being an engaging and exciting read.

So yeah, I recommend it wholeheartedly.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Oh man.

I am maybe a quarter of the way through naked lunch.

It sure is different. It's like there is almost no narrative and it's just not so much a story but just a bunch experiences in each chapter drawn together by common setting.

It feels so directionless but engrossing at the same time.

captaink wrote: »

Hmm...I'll check those out

did you just skip the post i made about Columbine or what

read Columbine

jesus

Buttlord wrote: »

did you just skip the post i made about Columbine or what

read Columbine

jesus

Ohh! Sorry! I seriously didn't see that! I'll check that out also thanks :)

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Finished Wind Through The Keyhole earlier this week and honestly the inside story/ies would have stood well on their own even without the Dark Tower framing. I do enjoy me some Stephen King fantasy though

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

Need to clone myself a couple times to recommend this more than once.

Anything by Reynolds, really, but House of Suns and Galactic North are the two I pitch at people who might be interested in his stuff.

Straightzi wrote: »
    When are we voting on book club next? I finished Something Wicked This Way Comes last night, and need to start something new, but if it is book club time again soon I can stall a bit for that.

I am in my reading cycle for something difficult next. It's looking like Paradise Lost, The Decameron, or Infinite Jest.

People have one more day to nominate (by which I mean today right now Friday do it)

And then we're voting over the weekend.

I stalled a bit and then started reading The One From the Other anyway.

RUVCwyu.jpg
This discussion has been closed.