As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EVE] Guide to basic Skills, Ship fitting, and general newbiness.

MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
I had a similar post to this around a year ago, but it got lost, so I am recreating it for the MMO subforum. My goal here is to give a basic overview for those unfamiliar with game, who have either just started or are interested in playing, and want to know what all these terms mean and how they affect the game. This is a big series of posts so bear with me.

THE BASICS:

First things first. I am assuming you've played the tutorial, learned how to fly a ship, done the missions, etc... I'm also assuming you are roughly aware of what EVE is. So what now? You've got a ship, a little bit of cash, and no direction. Now you get to decide what you want to do!

There a couple categories of things to do in EVE. Let's review them a bit.

Combat:
Blow stuff up! There's a LOT of fighting going on in EVE at all times. You can just wander around asteroid belts in lower-sec systems killing rats, or run combat missions, clear a deadspace complex, or fight other players in a war or as a pirate. Of course, they can attack you too. Bounties, loot, and salvage can make this very profitable indeed.

Industry:
Manufacture goods for fun and profit. Buy a blueprint, get some ore, and rent out a manufacturing bay somewhere. Then sell your goods on the market. Almost anything that players use in the game can be made by players.

Trade:
Buy low, sell high. Get a bigass transport ship, haul goods from station to station. Can be very profitable if you know the market. Risky too, as an unguarded hauler in low-sec space is a tempting target.

Mine:
Point mining laser at rock. Wait. Drop ore at station. Repeat. Process and sell, or use for manufacture. That's about it. Boring but you can make a lot of money, especially in 0.0

Explore:
The newest thing to do. Grab a small ship and head out into the black, searching for lost and hidden treasure. It involves dropping scan probes at various points in a system, looking for interesting signals. As you close in, you'll need more accurate probes. Results can vary from hidden asteroid fields, complexes, or just floating ruins that you can unlock and find tasty loot in.

So now that you've read that, think about what sounds fun to you. Set yourself a goal. Maybe you want to fly a giant battleship and fight in a war. Maybe you like slowly accumulating massive wealth via the market. Maybe find hidden spots in the inky cold of space. Whatever your goal is, once you know it, you can start training the skills to get you there.

Defintions/info to know:

Attributes - Perception, Willpower, Intelligence, Charisma, Memory. This is not WOW. These stats will not affect how fast your ship goes, how much damage your weapons do, or how much money you make when trading. Skills do all that. Attributes determine how fast you learn those skills.

CPU/Grid - Two limited resources that vary based on what ship you are flying. Most equipment takes some combination of CPU and Power Grid. The more you have of each, the more and/or higher quality equipment you can install into your ship.

Capacitor - Cap is life. REMEMBER THAT. Without cap energy your ship won't do much. Your weapons can't fire, your tank won't hold, and you can't warp. (With some exceptions, projectiles don't take cap to fire)

Capacitor Regen - I mention this seperately for a reason. Capacitor energy regenerates at a fixed rate. Your capacitor will recharge, from zero to full, in a set amount of time that does not change. This means the more cap you have, total, the more energy will recharge every tick, which in effect increases your regen. Some equipment can also reduce the time this takes/regen per tick.

Shields - An energy shield that protects your ship from damage. Shields regenerate the same way cap does.

Armor - Plating that takes damage after shields are gone.

Structure - The final line of defense. When structure is gone, your ship explodes and you are ejected into your pod. Doesn't last terribly long either. If you are taking structure damage, you should be getting the hell out of there.

Tanking - The ability to survive or mitigate damage. In EVE that generally means boosting shields with more energy or using an armor repairer so as to not run out of shields/armor. In larger ships, resistances come into play.

Tackling - Hitting someone with warp scramblers and stasis webs to keep them from flying and warping away while you or someone else shoots them. Often done in small, cheap frigates that orbit the target at high speed (harder to hit).

Damage Types - There are four types of damage in EVE. EM, Thermal, Kinetic, and Explosive. EM will do the most damage to shields, whereas Explosive is most effective on armor. Thermal and Kinetic are a bit more balanced, but each leans one way or the other.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
MuddBudd on

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SKILLS:

Training skills in EVE is lot different than in other MMO's. Learning skills takes place in real time. That means a three hour skill will take three hours of real time, whether you are logged in or not. The advantage to this is you can set skills to train and go do something else, the downside is that you need to be aware of when skills will finish to maximize your time. Also, level V on a skill will always take longer to train than the previous four levels combined. When training, think hard on just what level V would get you. Is an extra 2% projectile range really worth more than a week of training? (made that example up). The general rule of thumb on skill levels is to stop at level IV unless level V is a pre-req for another skill you really want.

To figure out a good schedule for training, I recommended you download Evemon, a program that lets you make a plan for skills, and rearrange it to match times when you can log in to change skills. It will remind you when to change skills and even recommend learning skills to shorten your time spent training!

The skills below are general skills that you should find useful in almost all the ships you fly. I've included short descriptions on what they do/how valuable they are. If these skills are not in your character sheet, you can buy them on the marketplace and download them into your characters brain.

Electronics:

Electronics - Increases the CPU output of any ship you fly. Very useful. I recommend getting it to lvl IV as soon as possible. This is also one of the few skills I personally recommend getting lvl V in, when you have the time.

Electronics Upgrades - (Requires Electronics II) Allows the use of Co-processors and various sensor equipment. Also decreases (per level) CPU needs of said equipment.

Targeting - (Requires Electronics I) Increases number of locked targets allowed by +1 per level of the skill (does not increase past ship limitations).

Propulsion Jamming - (Requires Electronics III and Navigation II) Allows use of Warp Scramblers and Stasis webs. Also reduces cap needs 5% per level for scramblers/webbies. Great for newbies because tackling is very useful in battles and it's something even newer players can do.

Engineering:

Engineering - Increases the Power Grid of any ship you fly. Just like Electronics, get it to lvl IV quickly and lvl V when you can.

Shield Management - (Requires Engineering III) 5% bonus per level to total shields on whatever ship you fly. This also increases regen due to the way shields regenerate. If you fly shield-tanking ships a lot, it's probably worth lvl V.

Shield Upgrades - (Requires Engineering II and Science I) Allows use of shield extenders and rechargers. Also reduces their powergrid needs.

Shield Operation - (Requires Engineering I) Allows use of Shield Boosters and reduces shield recharge time.

Energy Management - (Requires Engineering III) Increases total energy capacity of capacitors on any ship you fly. One of the most useful skills you can have, get to lvl IV quickly.

Energy Systems Operation - (Requires Engineering I) Increases capacitor regen and allows cap boosters, etc... One of the most useful skills you can have, get to lvl IV quickly.

Energy Grid Upgrades - (Requires Engineering II and Science I) Allows the use of various Power Grid upgrades like cap batteries. Also decreases their CPU cost.

Mechanics:

Mechanic - Bonus to structure hitpoints per level. Not terribly useful on its own but a pre-req for many other useful skills. Raise it as high as your other skills require it.

Hull Upgrades - (Requires Mechanic I) Allows the use of hull upgrades like cargo expanders, armor hardeners, and armor plating. Also increases total armor for any ship you fly. Critical for Armor Tanks.

Repair Systems - (Requires Mechanic I) Allows use of armor repair modules and decreases repair time. Also critical for Armor Tanks.

Navigation:

Navigation - Bonus per level to sub-warp speeds. Useful for any ship, and a pre-req to other skills.

Afterburner - (Requires Navigation I) Allows use of afterburners. Mind-bogglingly useful. It is very rare that you will want to fly a ship without an AB. (there are exceptions, but personally I try to use one on everything I fly)

High Speed Maneuvering - (Requires Navigation IV and Afterburner IV) Allows use of Micro Warp Drives. Situational. MWDs are fun as hell to use but are CPU/Grid intensive. Get this eventually, but you won't need it right away.

Evasive Maneuvering - (Requires Navigation II) Increases the agility of your ship, which basically means you are harder to hit. Great for smaller ships and tacklers.

Weapon Skills
    I'm splitting this up into a few subsections based on weapon type. (more on this in the next post)

Gunnery:
    Gunnery is for turret based weapons. Lasers, Railguns, and Projectiles.

Gunnery - Increases rate of fire of all turrets. Pretty much a necessity if you use turret weapons.

Weapon Upgrades - (Requires Gunnery II) 5% reduction per level in the CPU needs for weapon turrets, launchers, and smartbombs. Incredibly useful. Allows you to fit more and/or better weapons. Particularly good for larger/advanced ships. ADDED BONUS = It affects missiles and even smartbombs. I recommend getting this to lvl V if you use turret weapons.

Advanced Weapon Upgrades - (Requires Gunnery II and Weapon Upgrades V) 2% reduction per level in the Power Grid needs for weapon turrets, launchers. Not quite as nice as Weapon Upgrades, but still very useful for fitting more and/or better weapons. Get it when you can afford to. Also, consider getting it to lvl V eventually, because when dealing with large advanced ships, even 2% can mean a LOT of extra grid. BONUS = Affects missile launchers as well.

Controlled Bursts - (Requires Gunnery II) 5% reduction in capacitor need of weapon turrets per skill level. Especially nice if you use lasers.

Motion Prediction - (Requires Gunnery II) 5% bonus per skill level to weapon turret tracking speeds. I won't go into tracking speeds and how hits are calculated here, but this is very good and will increase your accuracy.

Rapid Firing - (Requires Gunnery II) 4% bonus per skill level to weapon turret rate of fire. Like Gunnery, great if you use turret weapons.

Sharpshooter - (Requires Gunnery II) 5% bonus to weapon turret optimal range per skill level. More range is always good.

Surgical Strike - (Requires Gunnery IV) 3% bonus per skill level to the damage of all weapon turrets. Get it when you can, as more damage is always nice. (again, for turret weapons only)

Trajectory Analysis - (Requires Gunnery V) 5% bonus per skill level to weapon turret accuracy falloff. Complicated to explain how, but basically means you will have a larger optimal range for your weapons, which can mean more hits and more damage. Get it when you can, but the pre-req may take a while depending on your starting skills.

Missiles:
    This section should be considered pretty much required for anyone who flies a Caldari ship.

Missile Launcher Operation - Allows the use of various launchers, Increases their rate of fire. Note that you will also need the appropriate missile skill (rockets, standard missiles, heavy missiles, etc...) along with this.

Rapid Launch - (Requires Missile Launcher Operation II) 3% bonus to missile launcher rate of fire, per level. More missiles fired = more enemies blowed up.

Missile Bombardment - (Requires Missile Launcher Operation I) 10% bonus to missile flight time per level. In other words, increases missile range.

Missile Projection - (Requires Missile Launcher Operation III) 10% bonus to all missiles' maximum velocity per level. Gets to the target faster and also increases range.

Drones:
    Gallente should pay special attention to this part.

Drones - Allows use of various drones. +1 drone active per level. You will need to get the appropriate drone type skills too. For example, mining drones or combat drones. (similar to missiles). You cannot have more than 5 drones without some of the higher level drone skills, the proper equipment, and a carrier or mothership. (and that's primarily geared towards fighters, which are more like automated frigates) If you like flying drone ships, get this to lvl V.

Drone Interfacing - (Requires Drones V) 20% bonus to drone damage, drone mining yield per level. Takes some time to get there but worth it. If you use drones regularly, get this, as it doubles their damage/output at lvl 5. If you aren't using drones that often, don't worry about this yet.

MuddBudd on
    edited July 2007
    SHIPS:

Not going to go into individual ships here, but classes and their Tech 2 subclasses. (T2 basically means more advanced/powerful) There are also several types of specialized transport and mining ships I won't go into.

Frigates:
    Don't let their size fool you, frigates are extremely useful. While they may be the smallest ships in EVE, they are also the fastest. A correctly equipped frigate can orbit a larger opponent so fast, that their guns can't track (rotate) fast enough to hit it. They are cheap and have many varied uses, from combat to tackling to electronic warfare platforms and so on.
    Tech 2:
    Assault Frigates, Interceptors, Covert Ops. Assault Frigates are far more powerful, with more armor, stats, CPU/Grid, and usually extremely resistant to many types of damage. Interceptors are extremely fast and agile frigates designed to run circles around larger opponents. Covert Ops are stealth frigates.

Destroyers:
    Destroyers are specialized ships. They can equip a lot of smaller weapons, but aren't nearly as tough as a cruiser would be. Usually used as an anti-frigate platform, or as a looting/salvage vessel. Somewhat of a glass cannon in combat. Destroyer skill is not needed to fly anything larger, like cruisers or battleships, so you can safely ignore this until needed.
    Tech 2:
    Interdictors, ships capable of launching Warp Interdiction Spheres, which are big energy bubbles that stop people from warping. Extremely useful in large scale PVP.

Cruisers:
    Bigger and stronger than frigates, but also slower. Capable of using medium weapons and stronger equipment. Also make great EW platforms, repair ships, or even mining ships.
    Tech 2:
    Heavy Assault Cruisers, Logistics, Recon Ships. HACS are hardened cruisers intended for heavy combat. Logistics boats are designed to assist other ships in fleet battles. Recon Ships are stealth cruisers.

Battlecruisers:
    Similar to Destroyers, Battlecruisers are a middle ground between Cruisers and Battleships. You will not need battlecruiser skill to fly larger ships. Able to use Warfare Link modules.
    Tech 2:
    Command Ships. Extremely tough and designed to wreak havoc on large battlefields with warfare link modules. (Warfare Link modules affect various ship abilities on a massive scale, affecting everyone in your gang)

Battleships:
    Absolutely massive ships capable of using devastating weapons. Also extremely slow and may have trouble killing smaller, faster frigates if not prepared. There are no Tech 2 Battleships. YET.

Capital Ships:
    Even bigger than Battleships, I won't go into a lot of detail here. Dreadnoughts, for sieging space platforms and stations. Carriers/Motherships, which can transport large numbers of smaller vessels and control Fighters (frigate sized drones). Titans, which are LITERALLY the size of a space station (maybe bigger) and can fire doomsday weapons capable of destroying pretty much anything, with the exception of other capital ships, perhaps.

SHIP FITTING:
    Alright. So if you've done the tutorial, you should have some basic skills trained up and a few ships to choose from (or sell and buy a better one). Now you need to learn what equipment to install on it. In high sec space, a few small guns and maybe a repair device will do you, but in low-sec and 0.0, you need to choose wisely. (NOTE: this is geared towards combat. Non-combat stuff like exploration or trading, etc.. is a whole other matter)

You are highly recommended to download Quickfit, which will let you test out ship builds offline. You can see what your skills will allow you to fit, what the cap regen will be like, and estimate the DPS vs. various enemies.

TANK:
    This is the very first thing you should figure out. BEFORE weapons. Your ability to tank is what will keep you alive, and there are several ways to do it. Ships will often have armor/shield bonuses, check for these to help determine which of the following you use. (Also, some ships are balanced enough to choose any of these methods)

Armor Tanking - Generally you'll want to armor tank if your ship has more armor than shields, and has a lot of low slots. Amarr ships are usually the best armor tanks, followed by Gallente. Install an Armor Repair Unit to patch you up during/after battles and install Armor Plating to increase your total armor. In larger ships, you will have enough slots to install resistance hardeners/plating as well, that will decrease the damage you take from specific damage types.

Shield Tanking - The opposite of course, is shield tanking, for ships that have more shields than armor, and more medium slots than low slots. Caldari ships are usually the best shield tanks, followed by Minmatar.

Active Shield Tanking - Install a Shield Booster to recharge your shield as it gets damaged, and Shield Extenders to increase your total shields. In larger ships, you will have the slots to install Shield Resistance Amplifiers to protect against specific types of damage.

Passive Shield Tanking - Since shields will regenerate on their own, in larger ships (cruisers and up, usually) you can exploit this and run a passive shield tank setup. The idea is to increase your shield regen to the point where your shields regenerate so fast that it would take a heavy, sustained barrage to severely reduce them. This involves installing a lot of Shield Extenders to increase shield size and regeneration, as well as other modules that increase shield regeneration times. (ex. Shield Power Relays and Shield Rechargers)

Weapons:
    Alright, now we get into the 'make other people dead' stuff. There are four types of primary weapons. The turret based weapons each have two subtypes that either favor range or damage.

Lasers: Favored by the Amarr, Beam and Pulse lasers do EM/Thermal damage exclusively, which can limit their usefulness against armor tanks. Lasers do very good damage however, and do not require ammunition. Instead, they use a laser focusing crystal that can be swapped out quickly in combat to vary damage and range.

Hybrids: Railguns and Blasters used by the Gallente and Caldari, they do Kinetic/Thermal damage. They use various hybrid ammunitions that have differing balances of damage and range.

Projectiles: Artillery and Autocannons favored by the Minmatar. Projectiles always do Kinetic damage, but depending on the ammo used, also do 1-2 other types of damage. For example, EMP ammo does EM, Explosive, and Kinetic damage. This makes Projectiles very versatile. Also, Projectiles do not require capacitor energy to fire.

Missiles: Favored heavily by the Caldari, but used by all races. Missiles come in various sizes to be used on various ships. Missile Launchers require a special launcher hardpoint that not all ships have. Missiles can do any of the four damage types, depending on the missile used, but each missile only does one type of damage.

Smartbombs and Drones: Smartbombs are area of effect weapons that do damage to any ship within a certain range of you. This can be very good for getting smaller ships or drones away, but be careful not to hit any innocent bystanders with it. Drones are used heavily by the Gallente but all the races have drone ships. Drones are small flying robots that will attack your enemies for you. They can be quite effective with good skills. Often battleships will use them to get rid of frigates.

Choosing a Weapon:
    When you are just starting out, you aren't going to be able to use the most advanced weapons. But that's ok. Often the difference between a standard weapon and a more advanced version with a long complicated name isn't that much of a difference at all. So start with the cheap stuff and work your way up from there.

Here's an example I see all the time. A new Amarr player gets themselves a ship and rushes out to get lasers, first thing. In a Punisher, for example, they would have three slots for weapons. They buy themselves three Medium Pulse 1s, which is a high damage weapon. (it's a small laser, dunno why it's named medium). However, since they just started the game, they can only fit two of these resource intensive lasers onto their ship, and don't have much CPU/Grid left for anything else. So they are flying without a good tank and with only two weapons!

They would be much better off if they got three Dual Light Pulse 1s instead. They require far less CPU/Grid, so they would have three weapons firing instead of two, and would have plenty of room left for tank, etc... Not to mention the Dual Lights are less than half the price.

This example is played out with all the various weapons for all the races. So please remember the lesson here, because even the highest damage small weapon (T1) is still not much more than the rest. Even the rarest of the faction loot found in 0.0 is only a few percent better than the generic equivalent most of the time. So save yourself the money and only buy the expensive stuff when it's the only way to make everything fit.

Other Modules:
    Once your weapons and tank are in place, you probably have a few various slots left open. Lets go over what might be good to put there.

Low Slots:
    Damage Mods - Heat Sinks, Ballistic Control Units, etc... Each weapon type has a corresponding module that increases rate of fire and/or damage.
    CPU/Grid Mods - Control Units and Co-Processors. Use up some CPU to increase available Power Grid, or vice versa. Good if needed.
    Capacitor Mods - Flux Coils and Power Relays increase capacitor regen at the expense of total cap or shield boosting.
    Propulsion Mods - Warp Core Stabilizers help prevent people from warp jamming you. Inertial Stabilizers increase ship maneuverability, and Overdrive Injectors increase speed at the expense of cargo space.

Mid slots:
    Propulsion Mods - Afterburners and MicroWarpDrives (MWDs) increase the speed of your ship.
    Capacitor Mods - Capacitor Batteries increase total cap, Cap Boosters allow you to use special charges to inject more energy into your ships capacitor.
    Electronic Warfare Mods - Warp Jammers and Stasis Webs slow down the target and keep them from fleeing (PVP).

High Slots:
    Capacitor Mods - Energy Vampires steal cap energy from your target.
    Electronics Mods - Tractor Beams pull wrecks and cargo cans towards your ship. Salvagers let you salvage for components to make Rigs.

Alright. Hopefully, all of that gave you a general idea as to what skills you want, and how to fit a ship for basic combat. this guide is a work in progress so feel free to post with suggestions on stuff I have forgotten to mention.

MuddBudd on
  • kf1kf1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Looks pretty solid.

Only thing I could think to add would be a basic description of the various ship classes.

kf1 on
    edited July 2007
    kf1 wrote: »
    Looks pretty solid.

Only thing I could think to add would be a basic description of the various ship classes.

That'll be going in post 2 when I get a chance.

MuddBudd on
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Missiles have to be replenished right? Like ammo?

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Yep.

So this isn't completely useless; missile launchers, projectile turrets, and hybrid turrets all need to be reloaded. Lasers don't.

kf1 on
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Stop making this game sound so goddamn good.

Seriously.

You shit.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Let's take a player who doesn't know much about eve, what kind of character should they build and what kind of skills should they specialize in at first?

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The capacitor point isn't entirely accurate. There are ship builds that don't require any cap to fight.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Let's take a player who doesn't know much about eve, what kind of character should they build and what kind of skills should they specialize in at first?

For PvP you want a character with high perc/will, as those are the main attributes for gunnery. Drones are a funny exception as they use int/mem, most people don't realize that Gallente have to balance those 4 skills just about equally.

TBH what sort of ship you want to fly is secondary to your base attributes. Any char can pilot any ship, it's just that starting chars get about a week's worth of their racial ship skills. For this reason, it's often best to do build a char that has the highest of an attribute (for instance, Caldari Achura have the best perc/will combo for PvP).

Zenitram on
  • AmnioticAmniotic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Kainy wrote: »
    Stop making this game sound so goddamn good.

Seriously.

You shit.

If you get into EvE, get yourself into the war. Life in empire is safe and dull.

It cannot be stressed enough, EvE is fun in a good corporation, and boring as hell alone.

Amniotic on
    EvE Online - Kellen Pikara
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    We should probably mention heavily that not needing ammo is not a huge cost saving measure.

electricitylikesme on
    edited July 2007
    We should probably mention heavily that not needing ammo is not a huge cost saving measure.

But dude! You never need a refueling run when shooting POSes with lasers!

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PmoneyPmoney Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Are there any sites that suggest equipment to fit your ship with? For example, you could choose the ship, what it is intended to be used for, and it would give you a general idea of what to fit?

Being new myself, figuring out what the hell I should be putting on my ships in all those slots is quite overwhelming. Right now I'm flying a Comorant around equipped with 6 scavengers and a 10mn AB. Thats it. I know what to equip my tackling frigate with, for the most part because I was in a private chat with somone for the good part of an hour or so discussing it But when it comes to doing other things, I really have no clue. Should I be using a cap battery? Or a recharger? Or one of the thousand other parts I have never heard of?

This game is awsome and its complexity is through the roof. Is there anything that could help me out?

Pmoney on
    Steam : Pmoney
    360 : ThePmoney
    Battle.net: Pmoney.thereal
    edited July 2007
    Another question. Lets say I've been salvageing/scavenging all day. I've been going into desertest fields, picking up the scraps and taking them back to base.

Should I just be selling everything? I have a small stockpile of heavy missle launchers/ammo/other junk. I understand I should sell the salvaged goods, Alloyed Tritanium bars and such, but what about all that other junk? Would I make more melting it? Selling it?

Pmoney on
  • ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pmoney wrote: »
    Are there any sites that suggest equipment to fit your ship with? For example, you could choose the ship, what it is intended to be used for, and it would give you a general idea of what to fit?

Being new myself, figuring out what the hell I should be putting on my ships in all those slots is quite overwhelming. Right now I'm flying a Comorant around equipped with 6 scavengers and a 10mn AB. Thats it. I know what to equip my tackling frigate with, for the most part because I was in a private chat with somone for the good part of an hour or so discussing it But when it comes to doing other things, I really have no clue. Should I be using a cap battery? Or a recharger? Or one of the thousand other parts I have never heard of?

This game is awsome and its complexity is through the roof. Is there anything that could help me out?

And people scoffed when I said we needed ship build threads...

Leave the destroyer for salvage. They're terrible in pve and pvp unless you've already got a lot of skillpoints (but they're great for salvage cleanup...). Get yourself a cruiser, preferably a caracal since you fly caldari, and toss a rack of launches, some shields, an ab/mwd and go nuts on lowsec rats.

Screamline on
    edited July 2007

Leave the destroyer for salvage. They're terrible in pvp unless you've already got a lot of skillpoints (but they're great for salvage cleanup...). Get yourself a cruiser, preferably a caracal since you fly caldari, and toss a rack of launches, some shields, an ab/mwd and go nuts on lowsec rats.

What about Low Slots? The only thing I've ever put in a lowslot was an overdrive injector(something that sounds like this) on my tackler. There are so many parts it makes my head explode.

Pmoney on
  • Casses JudgerCasses Judger Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ballistic Control System Is are every missile-spamming Caldari's best friend. If you need help getting it all on there, Reactor Control Units increase Powergrid, CoProcessors increase CPU output, or Power Diagnostic Units increase PG, Shield HP, Sheild Recharge, Cap, and Cap Recharge, and is usually a good choice in the event you don't know what you want to go in a low until you discover something else. Caldari ships are not renoun for their speediness so the Overdrive is a waste.

Casses Judger on
    edited July 2007
    OP needs links to Evemon and EFT/Quickfit.

Screamline on
  • EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pmoney wrote: »

Leave the destroyer for salvage. They're terrible in pvp unless you've already got a lot of skillpoints (but they're great for salvage cleanup...). Get yourself a cruiser, preferably a caracal since you fly caldari, and toss a rack of launches, some shields, an ab/mwd and go nuts on lowsec rats.

What about Low Slots? The only thing I've ever put in a lowslot was an overdrive injector(something that sounds like this) on my tackler. There are so many parts it makes my head explode.

For caldari ships you generally want Ballistic Control Systems for missile damage, Power Diagnostic systems to make your capacitor recharge faster, or fitting mods (Power Diagnostics if you just need a bit of power grid, Reactor Control Units if you need a lot of power grid, or CoProcessors if you need CPU).

That's really about it except for interceptors fitting modules that increase speed, and the few gunnery ships using Magnetic Field Stablizers instead of Ballistic Control Units.

EQDuffy on
  • _X__X_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So I could use some tips. I'm currently doing entry level missions. I've only found 1 agent so far. While doing a couple missions I'm getting a bunch of ores and refined them and I've also gotten some salvage off of destroyed ships. Is there a way to just sell this stuff outright or am I forced to use the Market and hope someone else buys my junk? I have no clue what stuff is worth.

_X_ on
    edited July 2007
    I also got a reward from a mission that requires Navigation Level 2 as a Seconday Skill to use. I cannot find Navigation under my skills tab. Is there a way to get it?

_X_ on
    edited July 2007
    _X_ wrote: »
    I also got a reward from a mission that requires Navigation Level 2 as a Seconday Skill to use. I cannot find Navigation under my skills tab. Is there a way to get it?

Skills you don't already have can be purchased off the market.

Screamline on
    edited July 2007
    For skills, you have to buy them. Most of the basic ones are fairly cheap.

For selling stuff, you can right click the item and hit sell; if there's a buy order up for 'em in range, you'll be able to sell it without adding it to the market. One note on this however; generally speaking, buy orders are for a fair bit less than the module/whatever is worth.

If you want to see how much you can get for something, right click it and hit View Market Details; it'll show you the buy and sell orders for whatever region of space you're in.

kf1 on
  • HibikiHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    can someone post a list of what the standard abrievations stand for?
    when browsing the eve forums, everyone talks in abriev and i got no clue.
    something like ship builds.

10mn MWD II
    Warp Disruptor II
    Fleeting Web
    Sensor Booster II
    Med Elec Cap Injector

2x MAR II
    2x EANM IIs
    1x DCU II
    1x MFS II

1x PG rig
    1x Hybrid Burst Aerator (ROF).

^^ i have no clue what most of those mean.

Hibiki on
    edited July 2007
    Ya, I ended up finding the sell button.

New question. I bought some stuff for my ship, a new Mining Laser and a Shield Enhancer or something. I'm under power though and they won't let me undock, is there something I can buy to boost my power?

_X_ on
    edited July 2007
    Hibiki wrote: »

10mn MWD II
    Warp Disruptor II
    Fleeting Web
    Sensor Booster II
    Med Elec Cap Injector

2x MAR II
    2x EANM IIs
    1x DCU II
    1x MFS II

1x PG rig
    1x Hybrid Burst Aerator (ROF).

MWD - Micro Warpdrive. Afterburner on crack; huge speed boost, but requires alot of capacitor to run, and lowers the total amount of cap available when fitted.

MAR - Medium Armor Repairer. Cruiser sized armor repair module

EANM - Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane. Increases armor resists for all damage types.

DCU - Damage control unit. Gives your ships structure resists, and boosts armor resists when active.

MFS - Probably Magnetic Field Stabilizer. Weapon upgrade for hybrid turrets. Increases tracking and....damage multiplier I believe.

kf1 on
    edited July 2007
    Ignore my new question as well. I think I found the solution. I bought a training thing to boost power so I can buy a Capacitor booster and use it. I think that should allow me to use my new crap.

_X_ on
    edited July 2007

10mn MWD II --- Microwarpdrive; huge boost to your subwarp speed, but increases your signature radius by jesus percent
    Warp Disruptor II --- Warp disruptor; prevents target from warping
    Fleeting Web --- Stasis Webbifier. Cuts target speed by 70-90%
    Sensor Booster II --- Boosts your sensor; faster lock time and longer lock range
    Med Elec Cap Injector --- Capacitor injector. provides a quick boost to your capacitor (...)

2x MAR II --- Medium Armor Repairer Tech 2. repairs your armor; better than tech1 verions
    2x EANM IIs --- Energized adaptive nano membrane. Raises your armor resistances. Again, Tech 2
    1x DCU II --- Damage control unit. raises shield, hull, and armor resists
    1x MFS II --- Magnetic Field Stabalizers. Increases weapon damage for hybrid turrets.

1x PG rig --- A rig that increases your power grid (I think)
    1x Hybrid Burst Aerator (ROF). ---- a rig that increases the rate of fire of hybrid turrets.

Screamline on
  • Van doVan do Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DCU - Damage control unit. Gives your ships structure resists, and boosts armor resists when active.
    Actually DCU = Drone Control Unit, DC = Damage Control. Just whoever posted that setup is a giant newbie, is all. Also beware the PDU/BCU trap (Power Diagnostic and Ballistic Control Systems, respectively. No, not units. Not anymore).

Van do on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It seems so much like a game I could get into...and yet...a game that I'm so utterly lost trying to wrap my head around.

DrZiplock on
  • HibikiHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Van do wrote: »
    Actually DCU = Drone Control Unit, DC = Damage Control. Just whoever posted that setup is a giant newbie, is all. Also beware the PDU/BCU trap (Power Diagnostic and Ballistic Control Systems, respectively. No, not units. Not anymore).

hehe, thats why it would be nice if someone can compile a list of what all these abbreviations mean.

Hibiki on
  • Van doVan do Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Van do wrote: »

hehe, thats why it would be nice if someone can compile a list of what all these abbreviations mean.
    Think its on the Goon wiki.

Van do on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wasn't able to get started last night (installing an air conditioner, woo) but finally got the trial set up.

Starting out with the PvE Gallente build from goonfleet wiki. I was wondering what is a good skillset to work towards for maxing out cash / hour from ratting.

From reading the other thread, it seems to me that having fun in PvP is much more about being able to absorb losses than having a maxed out char / the best ship possible. So of course I would like to fly with the MERCHI / Goons in PvP but to supply that activity I am currently looking at ratting / exploration for earning the iskies.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited July 2007
    being able to absorb losses is easy in MERCHI, almost too easy.

As for ratting, if you train for a decently skilled Dominix or Myrmidon, you can take NPC battleships no problem.

Zenitram on
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Keep them coming, especially about the new section I just added.

MuddBudd on
    edited July 2007
    New OP and weapons/ship post look solid

Zenitram on
    edited July 2007
    If i recall correctly you need the destroyer skill to get into a dictor. Might want to add that to the destroyer part.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ships, tell me about newbie ships. I just got a Navitas for mining, but I need something cheap as hell to use on combat related missions.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
    edited July 2007
    Ships, tell me about newbie ships. I just got a Navitas for mining, but I need something cheap as hell to use on combat related missions.

By newbie ships you must mean frigates. Both the Tristan and Incursus are good at what they do. Incursus is more of a paper tiger, better damage but almost no tank. The Tristan is a more well-rounded platform, but you need both light blaster and light missile skills to use right. It also has room for one light drone.

If you want to mine, get in a Vexor (cruiser) as quickly as possible.

Zenitram on