As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Secret World] - Cthulhu is all over this

• PeffPeff Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    If any of you are interested in joining, I'd totally appreciate you joining via this link :P

Clicky to Help Me

What faction....?

steam_sig.png
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Here's a cool little article

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=29587

Talking about how some big parts of encounters use the environment pretty heavily.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Help the dragons!

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://secretwar.thesecretworld.com/en_US/share/propaganda/12/105/358914&h=PAQGx-ofUAQG5JxzbiPmu9RCy4jWY-udTLlgoZSjBaiFY-A

I'm also wondering if I perhaps should create a proper account in case I actually win something - thoughts?

SquiddyBiscuit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There is literally no way I could pre-order this game, much less even consider buying a lifetime sub. Does no one remember this is Funcom?

TSW could have a built-in mechanic for giving handjobs while playing, and I'd only be able to worry about how it would irrecoverably wreck my wang.

Honestly I'd like it to be good, but I'm going to have to see some real evidence before I put a single penny down.

Toxic Pickle on
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    With a small amount of work, you can get into Secret Agent territory and get guaranteed beta access. Took me 2 days. Then you can see how you feel about the game yourself, instead of just saying "Funcom".

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    There is literally no way I could pre-order this game, much less even consider buying a lifetime sub. Does no one remember this is Funcom?

TSW could have a built-in mechanic for giving handjobs while playing, and I'd only be able to worry about how it would irrecoverably wreck my wang.

Honestly I'd like it to be good, but I'm going to have to see some real evidence before I put a single penny down.

I agree. TSW has a new director behind the wheel but they screwed up Age of Conan to such a massive degree I'm hardly convinced it was all on him alone. I'm still firmly in the "wait and see" stance right now. The concept is definitely interesting but it's the execution I am worried about

t5qfc9.jpg
  • steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Same boat - I really, really, really want it to be good, especially with Tornquist's involvement (TLJ is top like 5 games all time for me), but the 'Funcom' part just says 'WARNING WARNING', as does EA's role as publisher (though much less so as they seem to be a parternship sort of publisher this go). I'd be open to a Lifetime if the game launches and there's no AO immediate disasters or early warning signs ala AoC (where Tortage was the open beta focus, then everything after feeling sparse/unfinished in comparison once the game was out).
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    With a small amount of work, you can get into Secret Agent territory and get guaranteed beta access. Took me 2 days. Then you can see how you feel about the game yourself, instead of just saying "Funcom".

I'm...not sure what you're talking about. Is this related to the Facebook thing? That falls into 'no touche' area for me.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
    Yeah, the Facebook thing. Make a fake Facebook account, join up into a group for one of the factions, friend a metric ton of people, and reach secret agent (highest rank, gives guaranteed beta access) in less than 24 hours.

@hoodiethirteen
    Well, first of all, it has been a long time since AoC launched. If you can't believe a company can get better, then, I guess that's your choice. But that's not usually the way it actually works.

Anyway, you have a closed beta where damn near no one is leaking. That is pretty damn impressive to me. And seems to suggest that the people in the beta want to keep their access to it.

But, then again, anyone who has the "no touch" policy on facebook is usually not going to have their opinion changed on anything anyway.

edited April 2012
    Well, first of all, it has been a long time since AoC launched. If you can't believe a company can get better, then, I guess that's your choice. But that's not usually the way it actually works.

Anyway, you have a closed beta where damn near no one is leaking. That is pretty damn impressive to me. And seems to suggest that the people in the beta want to keep their access to it.

But, then again, anyone who has the "no touch" policy on facebook is usually not going to have their opinion changed on anything anyway.

Huh? I don't find value in their product and therefore don't use it, and don't see the point in 'selling' my personal info for access to it, it's that simple.

Companies get better, they also get worse. If I didn't think companies could change I wouldn't own a Ford or have stock in them. AoC's launch was a long time ago, but the game being run into the ground even now. The same thing was said when AoC was launching about AO, and while AoC's launch was far better than AO's, it was still bad.

steejee on
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    steejee wrote: »

Huh? I don't find value in their product and therefore don't use it, and don't see the point in 'selling' my personal info for access to it, it's that simple.

Its just a trend on the internet. People who immediately dismiss facebook, who are somehow "selling" their name and birthdate (which, guess what, everybody who wants it already has it, if you've ever filled out anything for anyone ever before), tend to be of a certain personality that their opinions don't often get changed on something that has fallen into a particular category in their mind.
    Companies get better, they also get worse. If I didn't think companies could change I wouldn't own a Ford or have stock in them. AoC's launch was a long time ago, but the game being run into the ground even now. The same thing was said when AoC was launching about AO, and while AoC's launch was far better than AO's, it was still bad.

My faith in the game is born out of The Longest Journey & Dreamfall. You've got a guy who has proven himself to make amazing games heading the project. I don't care at all about Funcom's previous MMOs issues, because so far, the guy whose in charge, whose passion project it is, has spun nothing but gold for me.

And hey, I'm not saying it is going to be amazing for sure. But to argue that it isn't worth $0 to head over to Amazon, preorder, get beta access, and then fully retain the ability to cancel, just seems silly.

Fake facebook accounts. Literally everyone is doing this.

@hoodiethirteen
    My faith in the game is born out of The Longest Journey & Dreamfall. You've got a guy who has proven himself to make amazing games heading the project. I don't care at all about Funcom's previous MMOs issues, because so far, the guy whose in charge, whose passion project it is, has spun nothing but gold for me.

And hey, I'm not saying it is going to be amazing for sure. But to argue that it isn't worth $0 to head over to Amazon, preorder, get beta access, and then fully retain the ability to cancel, just seems silly.

Tornquist is *literally* the only reason i have any interest in this game.

The FB/Preorder stuff for Beta isn't important to me simply because I'm not trying to get into TSW's beta - it's less than two months from release and I don't have much time to beta it (I still haven't put a dent in my Steam Winter Sale backlog) :p It's one of those rare MMOs where I do have high interest and follow beta info, but don't want to beta myself, so I'm basically relying on launch feedback before I make any sort of plunge, no matter how small.

http://sticktwiddlers.com/2012/04/23/the-secret-world-hands-on-preview/

Another article from the same event as the last one I posted. Nothing hugely different, but nice to see another positive opinion.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Its just a trend on the internet. People who immediately dismiss facebook, who are somehow "selling" their name and birthdate (which, guess what, everybody who wants it already has it, if you've ever filled out anything for anyone ever before), tend to be of a certain personality that their opinions don't often get changed on something that has fallen into a particular category in their mind.

Ragnar? The dude hasn't made anything good in 10 years, and the only things he did make that were successful were cult adventure games that were really, really rambly, long on story and short on game design.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Ragnar? The dude hasn't made anything good in 10 years, and the only things he did make that were successful were cult adventure games that were really, really rambly, long on story and short on game design.

Like I said, I wasn't insisting it was going to be a good game, and I also specified that he had spun nothing but gold for me. If you aren't a fan of adventure games, then cool. But most people who are love what he's done. And I am super excited to see it injected into an MMO.

I like adventure games, but I'm not banking on him being the thing that makes TSW gold. He seems a little too much like Molyneaux to me in interviews.

Oh, so I just discovered the whole secret agent thingy - seems like it'll be a lot easier to get into beta now.
    If you wish to support the dragons, clicky-clicky:

Link

steam_sig.png
  • minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    I feel dumb but...how do I sign up for the Beta? I need a key for it? In which case, where do I get said key?

You either pre-order the game, or you play the secret wars facebook games.
    Basically you get 1 point to spend in the game for every friend you have - they are agents that you can deploy every hour in this game. You need 1200 points to get beta access, so say you manage to scrounge together 200 friends on a fake account (piece of cake, search for Secret Wars groups) and deploy them every hour then you should get beta access in about 6 hours.

steam_sig.png
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Did the fake account thing myself, hopefully the beta weekend wont suck.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Gonna try the fake account stuff, how long did it usually take to get enough agents? Gonna give it a day or so.

Out of curiosity, how did you guys manage to do the recruit 5 people mission?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    Arthil wrote: »
    Gonna try the fake account stuff, how long did it usually take to get enough agents? Gonna give it a day or so.

Out of curiosity, how did you guys manage to do the recruit 5 people mission?

I didn't, your best luck would probably be recruiting people from here. Everyone on FB will probably already have been initiated into the secret wars and thus cannot be recruited.

steam_sig.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Wasn't hard to make a few dummy accounts, I'm well over Secret Agent already.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    Everyone who does not want to go through the facebook game can just preorder the game and get access to the beta weekends starting on the 11th. You can always just cancel the preorder if you do not like it.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Playing around with the builders...the system is pretty daunting when first looking at it, which I think is kind of a good thing. I cobbled together some kind of Blades Regen/Impair/Penetration build, but I could see a ton of other ways I could have tilted it.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Didn't see this one linked in the OP:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBSUgKbKaWs&feature=related

I was really wishing for a Renegade interrupt after the first few lines of the CDC agent talking, honestly.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular

Is Funcom really tough on leaks for this game? Sounds like it's pretty easy to get into the beta. Can people admit they are in it, or is that under NDA, too?

Whether or not you're in the beta is always covered by the NDA of a beta.

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    It's not actually, I've been in several beta's where you could at least say you got in.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    A tidbit of news from the latest build of the beta (that I'm not in, but I eavesdrop on vent buddies who are) is that the last upgrade really fleshed out the character models. Old characters were not saved so you had to start over. Combat animations look much better, and characters/npcs are nicer as well. Also the npcs from the starter quest have been brought in line to look much more like the characters from the trailer cinematics.

*edit There were also comments about a flamethrower some guy was weilding that looked like he had made it in his backyard with a propane tank and a garden hose, and how the bootleg contraption was a thing of beauty that my friend wanted very badly.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Its this or GW2. i aint got the time for two....

I dug AOC but it was very very rough around the edges...

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    Beta invites are apparently going out today, so check your emails if you haven't already.

@hoodiethirteen
    How do you connect your FB acc with beta access to your funcom acc?

steam_sig.png
  • SKiller0SKiller0 Registered User regular
    Tried the fake account thing. Every single time, sooner or later, Facebook would throw the SMS verification crap at me (tried it from different locations/IPs too). There's no way in hell I'm giving them my real number so I'm pretty much SOL. I'm also not pre-ordering this game until I can at least try it in beta. Been burned by P2P MMOs too many times. It's a real shame that Funcom decided to go the invasive social media route. Naturally, I didn't get a beta invite while all my friends, who played the FB game and pre-ordered - did. I understand them wanting to promote the game. I'd be more than happy to help any way I can, but not at the expense of my privacy. It's ironic since they're only even aware of the game because of me. I've been following this since Ragnar blogged about it way back in the day of Dreamfall. So disappointing that they've managed to lose me as a customer over something so trivial.

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    They are also giving out beta invites to people who just register on their website. I don't' see a problem with giving people another way to get in.

• SKiller0SKiller0 Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    They are also giving out beta invites to people who just register on their website. I don't' see a problem with giving people another way to get in.

I did. Didn't get an invite. I get the newsletters on that email account so I'm reasonably sure I didn't miss it (checked my spam folder and everything).

• AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Get your beta keys here for the first weekend http://www.gamespot.com/event/codes/secret-world-pc/

It's NDA free as well.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    How large is the following for this game? Who all is going to be in the beta weekend (I can ask since it's not under NDA, right?)?

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    The game doesn't seem to be terribly popular. I don't know of anyone who really follows it. That being said, the art design looks fantastic and the world looks interesting. I just hope it doesn't get screwed up because lolFuncom.

Steam: Spawnbroker
This discussion has been closed.