As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Super Monday Night Combat] Blitz mode is out.

• Options
    ChuckNorrisTypeRChuckNorrisTypeR Registered User regular
    I have put in some time since SMC launched and I'm LOVING it, I was a big MNC fan but it didn't seem to have the community behind it or such as much of a pure DOTA esque structure. My PC is acting up ATM but I have a sexy Phenom II quad core and 16 gigs of ram coming so all should be well mid week. I would like to hook up with some fellow PA'ers and play. I'm still not 100% sure on how the games work though, is there any good explanations of the annihilator, the jungle, chikey, and such. I mean I think I get most of it from the narration but not really enough to know when to do what like I do in traditional DOTA games.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2012
    Check the OP. Plenty of information and videos there.

This guide explains everything you can spend money on. The finer points have changed (Effect durations and such), but the general gist is correct.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    wow, Assassin is still OP as fuck. If you play a Support class.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    gah, double post.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Hhm.. depends a bit, maybe it's because I mostly play assassin, but it's not quite as clear cut as you make it.
    Basically, Time should be your greatest ally, once your firebase comes online from the smoke stun, the assassin will melt almost immediately.
    So, how do you make time?
    Always jump to evade the assassins attacks and try to out-circle her. Meanwhile: Use your shotgun, it's very painful from close range and has higher DPS then the sword.
    Remember that assassins (And commando's in general) can't really take damage very well. Also, they THRIVE on chaos and panic: Running away from an assassin is the very worst thing you can do.

If you're good, and you suspect the assassin is bad, just immediately switch to your shotgun, spin around and grapple when you get caught in a flash-bomb, there is a rather high chance you'll get to grapple them.

Of course, the thing with assassins is that they (should) never attack you when you're on equal terms, they strike when you're low on health, distracted, or isolated from your group.

The good thing is that big meaty walking shields like to gravitate towards any support that will heal them: You should be surrounded by tanks / gunners or vets. (plus assorted megabeths and assaults)
    If possible, try to make clear that they can score a free kill by removing the dagger (and attached 'sin) from your back the moment you're under attack. (their clue should be that the screen just turned white from the assassins stun)

I realize that assassins can be very annoying because they strike when you really would like to be left alone. and yes, being picked off at a weak moment feels bull-shitty.
    On the other hand, if you ever see an assassin do a straight-up frontal assault, just melt her with anything, A head-on confrontation by an assassin is a move of desperation.

Try to be in a strong position, this means surrounded by at least your turret, preferably a group.
    If you find yourself alone and hurting: be wary of assassins strikes: figure out from where to could drop in: They're not invisible in SMNC, and have to use the same methods as everyone else.
    Do be careful of high ledges and corridors that are protected by your base-turret: these things are no detriment to an assassin: They either jump on, or cloak past them.

Now: the cloak:
    The cloak lasts anywhere from 7 to 10 seconds and decreases every attack they do, meaning that it'll last 5 seconds or so in combat, if it was full when they engaged (in my case: unlikely)
    Grappling will immediately deactivate the cloak, making turret diving quite doable for an assassin, as long as there are no grapples involved. Near turrets or active fire-bases, assassins will be hesitant to grapple. (a tier 2 or above base-turret will melt through an assassins HP before the animation is finished)
    Smoke-bombs don't work against turrets that are shielded, meaning that they provide some defense against assassins as they can't be deactivated.

Hiding in Bot-squads won't really do anything against an assassin, the exception if you're Leo, where it's "worth a try if you can't teleport back"

If you see an assassin attacking someone else: slowing them will make them hate you, but don't worry, they'll die before they can really act on it.

Hope this helped a bit, also: I'm only level 40 something, I'm sure there are much better players here who can give better advice.

Dibbit on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I think your qualifier makes it clear that the Assassin isn't overpowered, she's just excellent at knocking out defenders when they don't have any support from their team mates. That is fine.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I think your qualifier makes it clear that the Assassin isn't overpowered, she's just excellent at knocking out defenders when they don't have any support from their team mates. That is fine.

I blame the victims: Defenders have extra juicy backs that are just an open invitation to any dagger, Also, snipers, if it wasn't for their ice-traps and their damned dog / meddling kids.

edit: I feel the need to qualify that the sign of a real pro 'sin player such as myself is the hard-to-pull-off-but-awesome Face-stab: It's the back-stab with a mark of quality!

Dibbit on
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Check the OP. Plenty of information and videos there.

This guide explains everything you can spend money on. The finer points have changed (Effect durations and such), but the general gist is correct.

Thanks man, I actually stumbled into your videos last night and watched all the how to's didn't even make the connection. ><

Gotta work today, but I'm freelance so I will steal a few games later if my PC doesn't derp it up some more.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    So I'm trying to trudge through all the pages I've missed and catch up on stuff, but I'll ask this for now:
    What determines if I get a prize at the end of a match? Is it randomized, like in TF2?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    So I'm trying to trudge through all the pages I've missed and catch up on stuff, but I'll ask this for now:
    What determines if I get a prize at the end of a match? Is it randomized, like in TF2?
    Random. Apparently leaving reduces that chance in future games and not winning one for a while increases it.

• Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    Playing normal, I find a prize about once every four games.

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    I'm closing in on my endorsement build being finalized. It tastes so very very sweet.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197999364979/screenshot/596969323464177218

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Kor wrote: »
    I'm closing in on my endorsement build being finalized. It tastes so very very sweet.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197999364979/screenshot/596969323464177218

Wow, accuracy debuff. What class do you play as mostly? Or is this for everyone?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    If you are playing something like Tank or Commandos, then accuracy ain't a huge deal.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Kor wrote: »

Wow, accuracy debuff. What class do you play as mostly? Or is this for everyone?

This looks like a Commando loadout: they benefit greatly from attack speed increase, and melee weapons don't really miss.
    Could also be for a vet, don't know if accuracy has any influence on the homing falcon.

I would say this is great for assassins, but I'm unsure why there is a speed de-buff in there, I kinda like being fast.

• Options
    I main Support and I don't care for the Airstrike spam build. Of course, it works for quite a few classes. CG and Leo, Tank, Megabeth, and any commando.

The fire rate really helps when draining/healing. I've outhealed chain grapples before.

• Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    Destructoid is running a cross-promotion with Uber and offering free Mr. Destructoid skins for Karl.

http://www.destructoid.com/mr-destructoid-comes-to-super-monday-night-combat--226510.phtml

I'm not sure how much longer they'll run it for, so if anyone wants one it's probably best to get in now rather than later.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    dammit, I'm not part of Destructoid :(

Edit: n/m registered and got a code. NICE!

Elbasunu on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Also, what exactly is backdooring?
    I am hearing people say it is a bad thing to do. I want to make sure to not do this thing.
    Also tell me other things to not do.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Whether back dooring is bad or not is still up for. Debate honestly.

It involves killing opposing bots as they leave the spawner, but before they meet up with your bots. Usually Commandos or Strikers would utilize the jungle to accomplish this.

The idea is to gain levels while denying the opposing team a "bot cloud" to hide in toward the middle of the map.

Downsides include "hogging" xp on anything larger than a slim since you'll be the only one damaging them, and being away from your team when teamfights break out.

• Options
    Backdooring usually leave teams looking something like this

Regular team levels

Backdooring team levels

What happens is the Backdoor player gets ahead in levels which is great for him, but he can't do that and participate in the main fray at the same time. So it penalizes their own team as much as it helps them.

• Options
    Also, I don't know where this misconception comes from that backdoor-ers only kill slims and nothing else. Shadies are not that powerful.

• Options
    I'll have to try and get into some matches with you folks sometime, provided you're willing to put up with noobtarded actions on occasion. I take constructive criticism, as long as it doesnt devolve into "NO YOU SHITBRICK DONT DO THAT"

• Options
    Free skins are always welcome. I even play Karl sometimes. And it's much nicer looking than the Vet one (which didn't seem especially different outside of the antlers)

• Options
    The Giant Bomb giveaway was mostly nice for the free taunt.

Really wish they'd at least give the post-MNC characters a pair of unique starting taunts. Every new character having the same starting taunts is boring.

• Options
    FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    I picked up Leo. Wasnt sure if I liked him

First game: Didnt like him and didnt see myself doing anything good

Rest of games: Totally pushed the crap out of the bots for my team and made us win 3 games because of that. Other team got Annihilator ALL game, and we still won because I just pushed bots the whole time while other people fought for the annihilator or other things. I got 2-3 turrets all by myself because no one was coming to stop me.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

Really wish they'd at least give the post-MNC characters a pair of unique starting taunts. Every new character having the same starting taunts is boring.
    That's kind of the point.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I bought the original mnc pros bundle and forgot about the 5 game cc boost. Well I haven't been having too many bad games so I'm expecting about 3/5 wins. First game was a nice long game, but a loss. Second was getting stompy. Third started with this:
    75FB16B26B44485B9E6E29158F8E49ECBD5BF3C5

You can guess how it went.

Edit: Game 4 was a stompy 5v4 in my favor. Guess I'm cashing in on some insta-karma.

Enjoying the new Karl skin, thanks for the heads up Kor.

Karoz on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    yay for useless dipshit teammates that give up after the first anni

• Options

It really only stands out because the original pros have unique taunts for defaults.

• Options

It really only stands out because the original pros have unique taunts for defaults.
    Because it's cheaper to use animations from the previous game as opposed to spending time on totally new animations for what are free taunts.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    1) What is a 'feeder'?
    2) I am on if anyone wants to play. Same name as here.

• Options
    A feeder is someone that dies a lot, which gives the enemy team experience. So you are basically "feeding" the enemy more money/exp.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I'm surprise about how mobile Leo can be.

The trick with Leo, it seems, is to focus on the bots and be a big ass pussy. The reduction on Leo turret activation is a huge bonus, makes him really hard to kill.

• Options
    Just played a round with the assault guy? Jetpacks and assault rifle.
    He's pretty fun. Working on not letting people lead me around corners. Instead, bounce the grenades around the corner!

• Options
    EraserbrainEraserbrain Registered User regular
    I love this game and I love Karl, but I really wish the matchmaking system worked properly, to prevent bullshit like this: http://steamcommunity.com/id/eraserbrain/screenshot/558688305284686989

It's not fun to stomp people in their first game, Uber.

• Options
    Just had an awesome game, thanks to all the how to videos I just played a boss Karl. We still lost due to a few feeders though. =/ The other team was shooting the shit out of chickey and no one knew to ride him, so I flew up a jump thing and grabbed him every time they stunned him and ended up with the kill. Was a super action packed game and I only died 3 times, not to bad considering it was mostly me vs their whole team lol.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I love this game and I love Karl, but I really wish the matchmaking system worked properly, to prevent bullshit like this: http://steamcommunity.com/id/eraserbrain/screenshot/558688305284686989

It's not fun to stomp people in their first game, Uber.

Well, maybe that guy just got locked into Wascot? I've been playing for a while, but there are a few characters I've never actually taken for a spin.

• Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    Gah, I just had the most frustrating game. Our team was leading the game in money, and had even pushed them back to their base. Then the anni came along, and no one was there to get it. I was about $50 short, so I stayed below for just a little too long. Well, their gunslinger managed to slip behind us and grabbed it. By the time I got up there, there was no chance of stopping here. Things went downhill from there. We managed to push back, but lost the next anni when just me and an assault were the only ones who went up there. If we could have gotten that last anni, we could have killed their two player spawned jackbots too! The game ended shortly after that. So frustrating!