As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]nequa don't live here no mo'

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I liked the liveliness of the old days. There always seemed to be a lot going on. Much quieter now.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    We can bring back the liveliness, tynic.
    We can do this, Bro.
    We can make it happen!

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    I felt like there were a lot more characters associated with the old AC. Maybe it was a sort of snowball effect where once a core number of people created their compelling ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL, everyone else started doing it. Like, Gibs had Gabe, Mike had his weird ninja monkey thing, Tauhid was the smiley with dreadlocks and absolutely nothing else noteworthy, Lexxy and Arisa were, well, themselves, but with cat ears.

Also critiques were good or something.

I do wonder how much of the global mellowness of the forum comes with the aging demographics. Median forum age now is probably in the late 20s, now, rather than right at 21 or so five years ago.

• GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    I think when I started here most people were either in highschool or university. That may explain some of the attitudes that were prevalent on the forum. I think Darren was the oldest at like 27. I think most of the mod staff is around 30 now. Except for Darren, who's still an old man.

• DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    I joined the forums when I was still in university. So young and optimistic. The world hadn't crushed my spirit yet back then.

I drew some Sparks McGee fan art for Wil Wheaton and gave it to him at the Calgary Expo this past weekend. I gave him a larger framed copy and he signed a smaller version for me with Sparks' catchphrase: "I've got a course you can plot!"

sparks_mcgee.jpg

wilw.jpg

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Geordi visor bit is win. :^:

OrokosPA.png
    That is pretty much perfect, DMAC.

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Age and maturity is probably the numero uno reason for the "settling" of the wild west AC. I only had experience with the Gangbunch Fora, maybe starting back in 06-07, why did Andrew end up making his own forum anyways? Was there a problem with the AC?

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Siegfried wrote: »
    Age and maturity is probably the numero uno reason for the "settling" of the wild west AC. I only had experience with the Gangbunch Fora, maybe starting back in 06-07, why did Andrew end up making his own forum anyways? Was there a problem with the AC?

Was Andrew the dude that started War for Arcadia? I didn't know him, but I got the impression that he was pretty upset when all the old battle threads were just whisked away and wanted something more stable. I have no actual fact to base that on though. If we're talking about the same dude I know that that forum wasn't like shit talking the AC or anything like that.

are YOU on the beer list?
    Andrew "Homestuck" Hussie

I think the Gangbunch Fora mostly came about from a combination of Andrew launching his own site for his personal projects and a general dissatisfaction with the PA forums. The Gangbunch Fora were pretty laid-back until Problem Sleuth took off and then they got crazy very quickly.

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I could eat food off your art DMAC

Mustang on
    Maybe if you had it laminated first...

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    DMAC was Wil cool? I'll bet he was cool... 8->

are YOU on the beer list?
    He was cool. Not as cool as Sparks McGee but still pretty cool.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    When we were all in highschool/college, there were alot more activities. I've been trying to get some graduating mica kids to start posting, so that we can have some fresh blood.

There's also a percentage of regulars that don't really crit, either being busy or self conscious or both.

• .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    I joined this place 9 years ago, dang! I was 16.

I had personal dissatisfaction with how negative this place had gotten (it seemed like people were joining up just to shit on others without actually knowing much themselves) but that passed as well. Gangbunch fora were originally the Team Special Olympics fora for Andrew's site and comics, but became Gangbunch when I collapsed my own personal forum and merged the communities. I didn't actually bring much to the table but it was all small scale back then. Problem Sleuth then exploded Andrew's popularity and we all hid in a secret forum that has also mellowed now.

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
    edited April 2012
    There was a point when the critiques were harsh but fair and constructive and then they reached a point where everyone was just rushing to be the first to say how much something sucked without bringing anything helpful to the table. It got so bad that I hated posting anything here because it was just intensely negative all the time.

Things have mellowed but they've almost mellowed too much since nobody wants it to get back to that vicious sniping level again.

DMAC on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Lurking here made me want to buy a tablet, so I did and then I started posting here. That was in high school. Now I do everything traditionally? Curving path.

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    I remember I was a sophomore in high school when I first started lurking. By the time I was a senior I was posting (in '04). I kinda wish more of the ol' crew were around because the progress some of us/we/them have made is just so awesome.

Omg I'm old

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    I've just been too lazy/busy/distracted to post outside of the chat thread as far as the AC goes. I haven't even drawn anything in like.. a year. Work has sucked all the artistic creativity out of me.

• brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    I had to look up when I joined, 2005. I go through periods of lots of posting, then dropping off for months at a time.

I think my favorite pattern is when, for no discernible reason, the forum gets flooded with 6 or 7 new threads by new people, all of which fail to read the rules first and seem to not get checked on my the thread's maker. Seriously, you can watch the block of locks get slowly pushed away...

Every now and again a regular gets brought into the fold, but I can't remember the last time it happened. Who is the new one these days?

Well I mean, Art quality in general has also gotten better around here. People who understand what they are doing they dont have to call each other shit eaters to say that their anatomy is weird.

The first works I posted on the board are so crazy different.

• JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I joined in 2007, which seems weird to me but whatever. I feel like I have a hit or miss relationship with this forum, in terms of i will either get advice/crit or not at all.
    Which I assume happens to most of us anyway. But i still plod along doing my own thing, in hope that I get awesome-o-awesome.

I think this was my first illustration I posted here, because I remember the Gr. 11 Chemistry class I drew it in:
    ahnold.jpg
    Surprisingly better than all my other crap from that era. I did okay when I was studying from reference.

I wonder about the ol' faces and what they might be up to. NeedOptic, Iridium_Ape, Arisa, Megamau_x, Shinpug, M2tm, Galen, DJ, nat, Deek...

Pfft, that's barely even terrible. You should've seen the shitballs I was drawing when I first arrived here.

• Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    The crits became flames too fast back then. But like MD said I'd really love to see where some some of the old crew are artistically now.

I started posting in like 1999 or 2000 under a different name. And have taken a year or two off here and there since. Consequently forgetting passwords etc. But this has always been a place I came back to for inspiration. Its much more comfortable as a community then some other art forums which feel elitest or arrogant. Even when I'm just lurking I like it but I do miss the activity.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
    I did some tedious HTML updating and uploaded the dumb PA AC cards I made from back then, so long as we're reminiscing.
    http://www.firmanproductions.com/latrine/pacards/index.html

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Let's have a joined in 2005 party, Brokecracker.

.Tripwire. wrote: »
    I did some tedious HTML updating and uploaded the dumb PA AC cards I made from back then, so long as we're reminiscing.
    http://www.firmanproductions.com/latrine/pacards/index.html

Wow, I didn't realize that you'd made that many of those things. I remember when you had the other card layout and there were only like 20 of them maybe.

Yeah I don't remember hallf of those people.

But I get to add my awesome card to my iruka folder.

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    omg trip!

I don't remember you making one for me, that's so awesome! I'm SO POWUHFUL

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Ha i just realized i guess people left the AC to go to TSO/Gangbunch, and i joined TSO/Gangbunch first then came here after Homestuck took off.

I will forever have the black-and-green color scheme burned into my eyes.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    I miss Gangbunch. I was sad when random people started crashing the clubhouse as Andrew's mspaint stuff got more popular.

I was 15 when I joined the forums in... shudder 2003.

I think this was my first post. Bombs said his nose was broken

tauren.jpg

I think my first post was homestar runner fanart.

My first post was some late 90s pinup girl. Big ol' fake boobies.

I posted a rabbit-chicken in that animal splicing thread....it was terrible.

• Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    I loved the forum battle thread. And the continue the story new person draws the next page thread.

Assuming we had any interest those would be fun to try again

Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    My first post was a portrait I'd done of Drew Barrymore, which in retrospect I don't think is a very good portrait, but people still figured out who it was, which was good! :P

• TamTam Registered User regular
    yo for anyone curious about philosophy, I recommend the Philosophy Bites (aharrharr) podcast
    it's interesting little summary tidbits that might spark your interest enough to read the body of work proper

This discussion has been closed.