As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]Making a new thread for the BWE. See you guys on Aspenwood soon!

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I wasn't sure what class I was going to play, but I put quite a bit of time into Necromancer during beta. Now I'm not even sure if I *can* play another class, due to Necro being too. Fucking. BAWS.

Death shroud tanking with the best.

• MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    Bah, what am I going to play while I wait for this to come out now - totally spoilt.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I wasn't sure what class I was going to play, but I put quite a bit of time into Necromancer during beta. Now I'm not even sure if I *can* play another class, due to Necro being too. Fucking. BAWS.

Death shroud tanking with the best.

Seriously, I felt way more tanky with my dagger necro than any guardian build I tried. Then roll away for staff shenanigans. Also you get an adorable ghosty pet.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Yeah, you get to choose your weapons, buy different sigils/necklaces/etc., refund your traits, and do all that noise in the mists.

As for the thief, there is a debuff that gets put on you when you stealth that lasts like 3 seconds where you can't stealth again, so you can't just stealth constantly, though I guess if you took the 2 initiative when you stealth and the 1 second longer stealth traits, you could cloak and dagger, then just keep doing it every 4 seconds when you pop back out. Then again, I didn't check but it might apply the restealth debuff at the end of your stealth instead of the beginning, which if so fixes that problem before it starts.

I actually think the Stealth is really good the way it's set up, because of how it's not permanent. My dagger/dagger and shortbow Thief was amazingly fun to play, and I was only what I would call OP against light armor targets. Not going to lie, even with a vitality/toughness build and very spread out traits, like 20/15/15/10/10, I could kill an elementalist in about 5 seconds, but against heavy armor it was a totally different game. The only way I could take Warriors/Guardians using 2 handers was kiting with my shortbow or cripple daggers. The swiftness on dodge roll and endurance restore on dodge roll traits are amazing for a thief.

It's a very mobile hit and run type of class, but the stealth is not as powerful as you might think. In group fights you'll be killed by AoE stealthed anyway. I mainly only used cloak and dagger if I was being targeted in a 2v1 and wanted to drop out for 3 seconds to make the enemies switch off me. 6 initiative is a lot, especially when you consider I could easily use those initiative to heart seeker twice, which means a dead enemy if they're under 40% health or so.

If anything, the Thief feels like the one class in GW2 that doesn't have nearly as much utility than the other classes. You simply can't build a thief to put a bunch of sweet conditions on your allies and stuff the way you can basically any other class. I still think it's going to be my main at launch though, just because I really enjoy the rogue archetype, and the damage output is great.

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    If anything, the Thief feels like the one class in GW2 that doesn't have nearly as much utility than the other classes. You simply can't build a thief to put a bunch of sweet conditions on your allies and stuff the way you can basically any other class. I still think it's going to be my main at launch though, just because I really enjoy the rogue archetype, and the damage output is great.

they are the best at reviving allies :)

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I built a thief in a way so that my elite skill would kill an entire enemy team no matter what class they were.
    I think the thief class will manage :P

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    I built a thief in a way so that my elite skill would kill an entire enemy team no matter what class they were.
    I think the thief class will manage :P

... I can't see such a build making it live unless it somehow gets overlooked. :shock:

steam_sig.png
  • steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Somehow I get the impression that a *lot* of abilities will not make it to the next BWE untouched.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
    my computer is two years old and the game ran like shit whenever there were more than ten or so people nearby

i really, really hated it when lots of strangers joined in when i was questing around with one or two other people

• BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Boogdud wrote: »
    I really enjoyed my time in the beta this week. The one thing that bugged me all weekend though, was the bad optimization. I fully understand the fact that the engine is unoptimized and it was nearly 100% cpu bound. But the performance in general bothered me very much. Just this morning I realized what bugged me about it. I heard the exact same thing during mid/later beta waves of Warhammer. The entire beta 90% of the people were in the "it'll be better at launch, it's unoptimized right now!" camp. Until release, then a month, then two months after release and the game performed nearly the same in high pop pvp/pve situations. It completely ruined the game for me.

So I'm left wondering if large scale pvp and open world pve are even possible. I mean, I want to believe...

Granted, if I have faith in any team it's arenanet.

It's funny I actually said to my GF on Sunday:

"I'm truly amazed at how smooth lag free the gigantic battles in WvWvW were."

So.. I dunno man. I thought it was pretty damn stellar.

I saw a lot of people complaining about how their i7 and awesome computers ran the game like total shit. I thought they were just trollin.

I recently spent about $800 on a new computer back in January. I have an i5 2500k, running at 3.8ghz. I didn't experience any drop in framerates at all. I did a ton of WvWvW over the weekend. Participated in giant battles and keep sieges that had to reach the 40v40 area in terms of number of people present. My friends with older computers than mine would complain about framerate drops in large battles like that, but I had absolutely no problems what-so-ever.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    As for the thief, there is a debuff that gets put on you when you stealth that lasts like 3 seconds where you can't stealth again, so you can't just stealth constantly, though I guess if you took the 2 initiative when you stealth and the 1 second longer stealth traits, you could cloak and dagger, then just keep doing it every 4 seconds when you pop back out. Then again, I didn't check but it might apply the restealth debuff at the end of your stealth instead of the beginning, which if so fixes that problem before it starts.

I actually think the Stealth is really good the way it's set up, because of how it's not permanent. My dagger/dagger and shortbow Thief was amazingly fun to play, and I was only what I would call OP against light armor targets. Not going to lie, even with a vitality/toughness build and very spread out traits, like 20/15/15/10/10, I could kill an elementalist in about 5 seconds, but against heavy armor it was a totally different game. The only way I could take Warriors/Guardians using 2 handers was kiting with my shortbow or cripple daggers. The swiftness on dodge roll and endurance restore on dodge roll traits are amazing for a thief.

It's a very mobile hit and run type of class, but the stealth is not as powerful as you might think. In group fights you'll be killed by AoE stealthed anyway. I mainly only used cloak and dagger if I was being targeted in a 2v1 and wanted to drop out for 3 seconds to make the enemies switch off me. 6 initiative is a lot, especially when you consider I could easily use those initiative to heart seeker twice, which means a dead enemy if they're under 40% health or so.

If there's two of you: Unstealth, burst attack. Then dodge, doge, use an attack skill to jump backwards, restealth. Rotate who is doing the attacking. Repeat forever. Never die.

What is this I don't even.
    edited April 2012
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

If there's two of you: Unstealth, burst attack. Then dodge, doge, use an attack skill to jump backwards, restealth. Rotate who is doing the attacking. Repeat forever. Never die.

that shouldn't do nearly enough damage to kill a person

unless you're in a 1v2 situation and you don't run away in the minute and a half you have before they kill you, in which case, yeah you should probably lose

unintentional on
    All this computer talk:

Yeah, this may be the game that forces me to upgrade. My last build was... shit. Most of my components are 3-5 years old.

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I also have an i5 and the one time I experienced significant frame drop was the 3-way battle in Stonemist during wuvwuv.

But I mean, it was like 150 players spamming AOE and the like so I kinda expected that, especially with my graphics NOT turned down.

• VoroVoro Registered User regular
    Did anyone end up posting pics of us vs the goons in WvW? I'm checking my screens, but I only have a couple of us shelling the central keep.
    wjiQE.jpg
    0P7oI.jpg

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Buddies wrote: »
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Boogdud wrote: »
    I really enjoyed my time in the beta this week. The one thing that bugged me all weekend though, was the bad optimization. I fully understand the fact that the engine is unoptimized and it was nearly 100% cpu bound. But the performance in general bothered me very much. Just this morning I realized what bugged me about it. I heard the exact same thing during mid/later beta waves of Warhammer. The entire beta 90% of the people were in the "it'll be better at launch, it's unoptimized right now!" camp. Until release, then a month, then two months after release and the game performed nearly the same in high pop pvp/pve situations. It completely ruined the game for me.

So I'm left wondering if large scale pvp and open world pve are even possible. I mean, I want to believe...

Granted, if I have faith in any team it's arenanet.

It's funny I actually said to my GF on Sunday:

"I'm truly amazed at how smooth lag free the gigantic battles in WvWvW were."

So.. I dunno man. I thought it was pretty damn stellar.

I saw a lot of people complaining about how their i7 and awesome computers ran the game like total shit. I thought they were just trollin.

I recently spent about $800 on a new computer back in January. I have an i5 2500k, running at 3.8ghz. I didn't experience any drop in framerates at all. I did a ton of WvWvW over the weekend. Participated in giant battles and keep sieges that had to reach the 40v40 area in terms of number of people present. My friends with older computers than mine would complain about framerate drops in large battles like that, but I had absolutely no problems what-so-ever.

Yea, and as someone else said I was even running on high settings.... so I dunno. Seems pretty good in GENERAL, and FUCKING SWEET for a beta.

So ANet, just release it.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    My i3 had some issues but only in WuvWuv. It's time to build a new computer, when feasible, it would appear.

I intend to spend a lot of time in WuvWuv and as it stands I can't really do that even at lowest. The full on red zerg last night turned my computer to mush.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • RednazRednaz Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    My i3 had some issues but only in WuvWuv. It's time to build a new computer, when feasible, it would appear.

I intend to spend a lot of time in WuvWuv and as it stands I can't really do that even at lowest. The full on red zerg last night turned my computer to mush.

Unless your computer really needs to be upgraded, I wouldn't take this weeks beta into account just yet. A.net acknowledged that there were some CPU and graphics problems this week, regardless if you had a low end or high end PC. Hopefully this issue will be fixed for the next beta. I think it will, since this beta was the first time A.net could actually stress test everything. I'm curious as to how many accounts actually participated this weekend compared to the last closed beta.

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    I dropped to about 5-10 fps in wuvwuv on my 6-7 year old processor.

As I said on teamspeak, new computer time.

I think this is the best screenshot I took

gw072.jpg

Man that thing was loud, the scaling for the event was a bit wonkers though because we had like 50-60 players there and it went down REALLY quickly once we could hit it.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    My wife's laptop has an i7 and a 460m video card, and she had to turn it down to low for most of the beta. It was an unusual performance issue for her machine.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Voro wrote: »
    Did anyone end up posting pics of us vs the goons in WvW? I'm checking my screens, but I only have a couple of us shelling the central keep.
    wjiQE.jpg
    0P7oI.jpg

You know, I actually ran into a ton of Goons on our server. I guess they ended up splitting swarming between multiple servers.

• KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    it should be noted that the beta client was CPU locked, for all intents and purposes. Pretty much everything was being run on one core of your CPU, because the game hasn't been optimized yet. Video cards and multicore CPUs were barely used to their potentials. I imagine that performance has no where to go but up.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Voro wrote: »
    wjiQE.jpg
    0P7oI.jpg

You know, I actually ran into a ton of Goons on our server. I guess they ended up splitting swarming between multiple servers.

Yes, there was lots of Goon on Goon violence.

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    To the posters from the last thread who thought I was joking about my Guardian armor/damage statement, you were playing in a different situation then I, apparently. I found my Guardian to be taken down very quickly by just about anything.
    I was trying really hard to figure out why pets suck so much ass. They're a bit too squishy, but the real problem seemed to be that they had huge problems pathing to targets. Sometimes my ranger pet would get just inside AOE range on a mob, but just outside range to actually attack them. Those times were great!

I also picked up an awesome skill temporarily that let me send my pet to rez a downed player. That was cool, but if the player was more than 2 feet from me or in any way up or down, my pet's pathing broke entirely.

This is another situation where opinions vary; I found pets to be overpowered. I had actually seen pets take down multiple players, at once, with them doing barely anything to it.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    it should be noted that the beta client was CPU locked, for all intents and purposes. Pretty much everything was being run on one core of your CPU, because the game hasn't been optimized yet. Video cards and multicore CPUs were barely used to their potentials. I imagine that performance has no where to go but up.

Not to mention that I assume there are tons of debugging hooks in the code that won't be in the retail build.

am0n wrote: »
    To the posters from the last thread who thought I was joking about my Guardian armor/damage statement, you were playing in a different situation then I, apparently. I found my Guardian to be taken down very quickly by just about anything.
    I was trying really hard to figure out why pets suck so much ass. They're a bit too squishy, but the real problem seemed to be that they had huge problems pathing to targets. Sometimes my ranger pet would get just inside AOE range on a mob, but just outside range to actually attack them. Those times were great!

I also picked up an awesome skill temporarily that let me send my pet to rez a downed player. That was cool, but if the player was more than 2 feet from me or in any way up or down, my pet's pathing broke entirely.

This is another situation where opinions vary; I found pets to be overpowered. I had actually seen pets take down multiple players, at once, with them doing barely anything to it.

I'm going to be honest. If you thought pets were overpowered, I have to doubt whether you were playing the same game. Absolutely no one I've talked to thought that pets were anything but worthless and hugely gimped. Are you sure you were playing Guild Wars 2?

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    My unhappiness with Pets may have come down to a low level PvE usage experience - I didnt' really toy with them much in PvP with full Traits, so the various issues I found with them PvEing may simply not have been relevant in a PvP setting.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • AtomicpandaAtomicpanda Registered User new member
    I must say, after playing WvW, I just couldn't find myself doing anything else during the event. I ended up getting most of my levels simply off nonstop PVP.

I didn't get too many screenshots (only when I remembered to) but probably like a few others, when I saw this mass of [GOON] and other random invaders that last night, I couldn't help but take a quick picture before turning and running for my life. Didn't help much that I turned around, and the other half of their swarm was right there.
    7C0E526AB51A45C9C04100C7DF5B68F3F7B5535B

I must say, after playing WvW, I just couldn't find myself doing anything else during the event. I ended up getting most of my levels simply off nonstop PVP.

I didn't get too many screenshots (only when I remembered to) but probably like a few others, when I saw this mass of [GOON] and other random invaders that last night, I couldn't help but take a quick picture before turning and running for my life. Didn't help much that I turned around, and the other half of their swarm was right there.

did you know you have the exact same avatar as @PipTheFair

edited April 2012
    Also, another group Photo and one of my Rainbow Guardian. Sadly, the lighting of the solo picture was bad, so all the colors look dark. :(

P.S. Poor @Geod - He forgot to eat his wheaties.
    vBF9v.jpg
    Ndazt.jpg

am0n on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

what the fuck guy

EDIT: oops this isn't se++

so uh, why is this game coming out around the same time as D3 :(

PiptheFair on
    edited April 2012
    am0n wrote: »

I'm going to be honest. If you thought pets were overpowered, I have to doubt whether you were playing the same game. Absolutely no one I've talked to thought that pets were anything but worthless and hugely gimped. Are you sure you were playing Guild Wars 2?

Positive. I have photos to prove it. Interestingly enough, many people I spoke to agreed with my sentiments on pets. I'm guessing our group of contacts were different.

am0n on
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    steejee wrote: »
    I had noticed the lag improvement too - it's entirely possible they spotted one simple but major lag causer that was quickly fixed. I do software development and it's remarkable how often a simple and very easily fixed performance bottleneck is missed till you throw piles of people at it. There's usually a *lot* of low hanging fruit when it comes to optimization.

On my ranger the major pet problems seemed to be:
    1. AoE was a nightmare. Other MMOs have put AoE dmg reduction on pets, I'd like to see something ismilar here (or much smarter AoE handling by pet...ie have it move out of it)
    2. AI is flaky. Sometimes it didn't react to mobs, or the F2 abilities would take 5 seconds to fire, stuff like that.
    3. Wasn't always clear what pets were good for what tasks. Whole thing needs to be clarified (and it was not entirely obvious how to get new pets till I accidently tamed one...)

I didn't get to try out any pet traits, but it seems the default pet is a bit too squishy/gimp without them.

I think the other problem they have, is the combat is all designed around you dodging/avoiding damage, moreso than mitigating it. Yet the pets just stand there and wail on things not avoiding anything. They really need more mitigating (HP/armor) or they need some kind of DR across the board (at least for PVE). I spent most every event with a dead pet by my side (and you can see every other ranger doing the same thing) because it was pointless to revive it only to watch it get instagibbed again. Shame too, the ranger was one of the more entertaining classes I played over the weekend, the pets just ruin them right now.

96058.png?1619393207
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Traits and attributes might also have a LOT to do with a pet rampaging and killing everything and being worthless.

• AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    My pet wasn't completely worthless but he certainly wasnt anywhere near op. Once I learned pet swapping starts to regain your stashed pets hp things got better. He was useful one v one, but once the aoes started flying it was just another piece of cannon fodder.

ECOED.jpg
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say the pet having issues hurt the class much. My ranger, once he picked up a shortbow, couldn't be touched by enemies.

It didn't really matter what my pet was doing at that point.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    Hey guys, just fyi, the GW2 forums will only be up for a few days, so make sure you post your feedback ASAP.

kQwcZLJ.png
  • TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    Geod should have done a side-by-side comparison of his character and an asura. I am willing to bet that the asura would be bigger than him.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
This discussion has been closed.