As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sean Bean was impaled in the making of this [CHAT]

• Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Gold Bond is incredible. Truly a quality of life enhancer.

It's like a mint for your pants.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i wonder if i should get RE4 on the xbox

haven't you beaten it like 47 times?
    yes

i also bought it three times

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    I have more respect for the motherfuckers behind that Kickstarter scam then I do for that asshole trying to peddle his "Your World" shit.

Is there a Gang of Daggers Kickstarter? There really should be.

What is this Your World thing? And why is it so horrible?

It is "A MMORPG Game built by gamer's, for gamer's and funded by gamer's. "

how did this even get 20K in funding at all?

This guy is basically pitching Second Life

I believe it's two bogus $10,000 pledges that makes the total look like that.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    i wonder if i should get RE4 on the xbox

haven't you beaten it like 47 times?
    yes

i also bought it three times

It's RE4 with slightly better graphics. The controls are the same (aka super fucking weird). There are only 12 achievements and they are dumb.

But it's still RE4 so I bought it and enjoyed it. It has all the DLC and Mercenaries.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I am seriously going to try making a game.

Kinda afraid to speak it aloud but shit. I'm serious. Creating for a living would be a lot better than IT Managing, and I'll never know if I can unless I try to.

Spool make a game, get successful, then we can work on making spore, but better

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I want you guys to make Facebook + Qwikster + the music of the Spin Doctors into an epic rock opera third person beat 'em up rhythm game.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1465600975/echoes-of-eternia-a-modern-take-on-a-classic-desig

Here's another one that was on reddit and another shitty site. Although the guy looks like he "hired" a pixel artist in the last update, it's still $30,000 (goal of $10,000) going to an RPG Maker project.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Perhaps you just have, you know, a lot of extra room in your pants.

sart-baggy.jpg

I am now stupider for having read part of the Your World story. Four thousand whole words! How ever will he find an hour to bash that out.

I wish they would make a Myth 3 game that was not shitty and from a different developer like Myth 3.

So basically Myth 2 for the broadband age. That game was the best.

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

sart-baggy.jpg

Pictured: The Mayor of Austin, Texas.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Gold Bond is incredible. Truly a quality of life enhancer.

It's like that biscuit ad from Prairie Home Companion. "Gives shy people the strength to get up and do what needs to be done."

did they have cocaine in them

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

Kinda afraid to speak it aloud but shit. I'm serious. Creating for a living would be a lot better than IT Managing, and I'll never know if I can unless I try to.

I had a vision of squat, hirsute men riding purple beetles into glorious, possibly acidic combat

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1465600975/echoes-of-eternia-a-modern-take-on-a-classic-desig

Here's another one that was on reddit and another shitty site. Although the guy looks like he "hired" a pixel artist in the last update, it's still $30,000 (goal of $10,000) going to an RPG Maker project.

ok I only glanced over that since you posted the link (and wouldn't touch reddit with a stolen iMac) but what is the problem?

Looks like an interesting project. Budget is hell of low (even $30k would be hell of low) unless the creator is doing this for free in their spare time. But a lot of people do just that.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!

I had a vision of squat, hirsute men riding purple beetles into glorious, possibly acidic combat

this wasn't what i was thinking but now i have two game ideas!

sart-baggy.jpg

That is a person that really wants to wear a skirt/kilt but hasn't fully committed to the decision.

i should make a kickstarter

i'll set up your LLCs

Spore was so cool! It's too bad there wasn't a game shipped on the disk :(

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Any other boozers around?

I am buying one bottle tonight - should it be:
    Remy Martin VSOP
    Old Forrester bourbon
    Four Roses
    Evan Williams Single Barrel
    or Forty Creek double barrel select which is apparently a genuine premium canadian whiskey, weird as that sounds.

winky inspired me to finally really get serious about trying this
    does it mean my effort is doomed to incompleteness and failure y/n

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    BATTLE BEETLES

Spore was so cool! It's too bad there wasn't a game shipped on the disk :(

I said it before but I want to make a game that really explores evolutionary tradeoffs in organisms somehow

So sort of like spore but probably with more creature raising

i dont have a good framework though, but I miss all the monster raising games from the early days of the playstation

I kind of want to mix those style of games with something like spore

edited April 2012
    wazilla wrote: »

ok I only glanced over that since you posted the link (and wouldn't touch reddit with a stolen iMac) but what is the problem?

Looks like an interesting project. Budget is hell of low (even $30k would be hell of low) unless the creator is doing this for free in their spare time. But a lot of people do just that.

It appears pretty much all the art assets were stolen from other places around the web. Basically, they had nothing.

ah, ok. I didn't recognize the art as coming from somewhere else.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    iqy8eg.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

It appears pretty much all the art assets were stolen from other places around the web. Basically, they had nothing.

Psn:wazukki

You may already have done this, but if you really want to do this, pick something simple to start with (make a pong clone, or whatever), because it is going to be more complicated than you think it is. It makes a huge difference to your motivation to be able to get something working quickly.

The worst thing about Spore, the absolute worst thing, was when you got to the space game and it was super clear other races were attacking you because your expansion in a different direction triggered the event, meaning you frequently had to abandon your effort to grow as you dealt with war.

Every Single Time.

So I'm guessing winky didn't finally get serious on his promise to get serious and design a game from the ground up with no programming knowledge?

I'm actually kinda bummed about that. :(

japan wrote: »

You may already have done this, but if you really want to do this, pick something simple to start with (make a pong clone, or whatever), because it is going to be more complicated than you think it is. It makes a huge difference to your motivation to be able to get something working quickly.

definetly. If you are getting into programming (as opposed to hiring a team) you need to start in the late 1970s in terms of complexity and work your way forward.

It is way better to finish the worlds billionth Breakout clone (and Breakout / Arkanoid is pretty much the "Hello World" of game programmer - something everyone should do) than take on a project that is too complex to finish.

For your first couple games go for something that - in terms of gameplay and scale - you would find on an Atari 2600 (obviously with modern graphics / sound and such).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »

sart-baggy.jpg

That is a person that really wants to wear a skirt/kilt but hasn't fully committed to the decision.

Is that some sort of crazy khaki-hakama hybrid?

fuck gendered marketing
    BATTLE BEETLES

or this

game, cartoon, and toy line

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The worst thing about Spore, the absolute worst thing, was when you got to the space game and it was super clear other races were attacking you because your expansion in a different direction triggered the event, meaning you frequently had to abandon your effort to grow as you dealt with war.

Every Single Time.

Spore was just bad on p much every level

i dont have a good framework though, but I miss all the monster raising games from the early days of the playstation

there was a monster game from the ps1 era

I never played it but it sounded amazing

it was like, you put a CD in the game or something, and it makes a custom monster based on the music on the CD

I'm not sure about whether or not the art assets were stolen from other places, but I just being a little incredulous about being able to crowdsource $30,000 by saying you're going to be using a free-to-use development platform.

Even if they are using an existing platform or engine, a full game is going to have a lot more than $30K worth of artwork and music in it if you were hiring professionals to create them.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited April 2012

I'm not sure about whether or not the art assets were stolen from other places, but I just being a little incredulous about being able to crowdsource $30,000 by saying you're going to be using a $60 development platform.

tyrannus on
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

there was a monster game from the ps1 era

I never played it but it sounded amazing

it was like, you put a CD in the game or something, and it makes a custom monster based on the music on the CD

Are you fucking with us Skippy?

DO NOT FUCK WITH ME ABOUT MONSTER RANCHER

Psn:wazukki
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I should work more on my 2D map generating thingamabob.

This discussion has been closed.