As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sean Bean was impaled in the making of this [CHAT]

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    i dont have a good framework though, but I miss all the monster raising games from the early days of the playstation

I kind of want to mix those style of games with something like spore

there was a monster game from the ps1 era

I never played it but it sounded amazing

it was like, you put a CD in the game or something, and it makes a custom monster based on the music on the CD

like that but then over time you could watch your monster evolve as you tweaked certain things

it would be like doing selection lines in biology but with a video game

i got this idea when a friend said he was going to breed nematodes for better infectivity

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    wazilla wrote: »
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1465600975/echoes-of-eternia-a-modern-take-on-a-classic-desig

Here's another one that was on reddit and another shitty site. Although the guy looks like he "hired" a pixel artist in the last update, it's still $30,000 (goal of $10,000) going to an RPG Maker project.

ok I only glanced over that since you posted the link (and wouldn't touch reddit with a stolen iMac) but what is the problem?

Looks like an interesting project. Budget is hell of low (even $30k would be hell of low) unless the creator is doing this for free in their spare time. But a lot of people do just that.

It appears pretty much all the art assets were stolen from other places around the web. Basically, they had nothing.

I'm not sure about whether or not the art assets were stolen from other places, but I just being a little incredulous about being able to crowdsource $30,000 by saying you're going to be using a free-to-use development platform.

They even stole the photos of their office from other people.

Psn:wazukki
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    i dont have a good framework though, but I miss all the monster raising games from the early days of the playstation

it was like, you put a CD in the game or something, and it makes a custom monster based on the music on the CD

Are you fucking with us Skippy?

DO NOT FUCK WITH ME ABOUT MONSTER RANCHER

Someone should make a Bieber monster and a dubstep monster and make them fight

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    spool32 wrote: »
    I am seriously going to try making a game.

Kinda afraid to speak it aloud but shit. I'm serious. Creating for a living would be a lot better than IT Managing, and I'll never know if I can unless I try to.

I've been working on an RPG for just under 3 months. Perhaps we should talk?

Tamin on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I want you guys to make Facebook + Qwikster + the music of the Spin Doctors into an epic rock opera third person beat 'em up rhythm game.

Two Princes Online: The Movie: The Game

3rd person beat 'em up rhythm game sounds like a challenge... but I'm sure it could be done.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    I think I cried the first time I got a monster to S-rank and it died.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    winky inspired me to finally really get serious about trying this
    does it mean my effort is doomed to incompleteness and failure y/n

You may already have done this, but if you really want to do this, pick something simple to start with (make a pong clone, or whatever), because it is going to be more complicated than you think it is. It makes a huge difference to your motivation to be able to get something working quickly.

I've PM'd two expansive MMO(ish) story sequences, writing and executing one from scratch and on the other managing a 20% world redesign with 60ish quests rewritten (also largely by me) and implemented by the team.

But a programmer I am not. currently I am terrifying myself with the Unreal Devkit and trying to draw my design ideas into a coherent concept. Actually I wouldn't mind a little focus-group session, if people would be interested in tolerating some very alpha design ideas and giving feedback. Isn't there an IRC channel around somewhere?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I got an urge to watch a movie. Hmm, anything decent come out lately?

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

monster rancher

one of the coolest rarest most baddest awesomest monsters was on the Men In Black soundtrack.

which I had :smug:

steam_sig.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »

You may already have done this, but if you really want to do this, pick something simple to start with (make a pong clone, or whatever), because it is going to be more complicated than you think it is. It makes a huge difference to your motivation to be able to get something working quickly.

definetly. If you are getting into programming (as opposed to hiring a team) you need to start in the late 1970s in terms of complexity and work your way forward.

It is way better to finish the worlds billionth Breakout clone (and Breakout / Arkanoid is pretty much the "Hello World" of game programmer - something everyone should do) than take on a project that is too complex to finish.

For your first couple games go for something that - in terms of gameplay and scale - you would find on an Atari 2600 (obviously with modern graphics / sound and such).

My first-and-only video game was a galaga clone on a TI-86

It was woefully unoptimized and clunky but it worked (mostly) and impressed my friends in 7th grade

I have since forgotten everything I learned from doing that

fuck gendered marketing
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I would work on a project but it'd take nearly $100,000 for any reasonable sized project just for me, 2-3 years at the least, full time.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

what?

I never played it

here is the description

Remember when you though monsters were lurking in every dark corner of your house? Well, you were right: Every CD YOU OWN CONTAINS A MONSTER. Every PC CD, ever music CD and every game CD each has a monster living inside. Use Monster Rancher to safely release these monsters into a virtual environment where YOU'RE THE MASTER, TEACH YOUR MONSTER ATTACK MOVES. Capture your monster (on a memory card) and take him to a friend's house for some HEAD TO HEAD FIGHTING ACTION. We dare you to find and train your ultimate fighting machine!

I think I cried the first time I got a monster to S-rank and it died.

:(

what?

I never played it

here is the description

Remember when you though monsters were lurking in every dark corner of your house? Well, you were right: Every CD YOU OWN CONTAINS A MONSTER. Every PC CD, ever music CD and every game CD each has a monster living inside. Use Monster Rancher to safely release these monsters into a virtual environment where YOU'RE THE MASTER, TEACH YOUR MONSTER ATTACK MOVES. Capture your monster (on a memory card) and take him to a friend's house for some HEAD TO HEAD FIGHTING ACTION. We dare you to find and train your ultimate fighting machine!

skippy it was the best game ever

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Any other boozers around?

I am buying one bottle tonight - should it be:
    Remy Martin VSOP
    Old Forrester bourbon
    Four Roses
    Evan Williams Single Barrel
    or Forty Creek double barrel select which is apparently a genuine premium canadian whiskey, weird as that sounds.

I vote: Not Remy Martin

That's not me being a snob -- there are just better products for right around the same price.

I will defer to other boozers on the other options.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    no no waz, this is a different link/kickstarter project

tyrannus on
    skippy it was the best game ever

oh

I am sad I missed it then

what?

I never played it

here is the description

That is a terrifying description.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1465600975/echoes-of-eternia-a-modern-take-on-a-classic-desig

Here's another one that was on reddit and another shitty site. Although the guy looks like he "hired" a pixel artist in the last update, it's still $30,000 (goal of $10,000) going to an RPG Maker project.

ok I only glanced over that since you posted the link (and wouldn't touch reddit with a stolen iMac) but what is the problem?

Looks like an interesting project. Budget is hell of low (even $30k would be hell of low) unless the creator is doing this for free in their spare time. But a lot of people do just that.

It appears pretty much all the art assets were stolen from other places around the web. Basically, they had nothing.

I'm not sure about whether or not the art assets were stolen from other places, but I just being a little incredulous about being able to crowdsource $30,000 by saying you're going to be using a free-to-use development platform.

They even stole the photos of their office from other people.

Different project, wazilly

fuck gendered marketing
    no no waz, this is a different link/kickstarter project

Oh, my mistake, sorry!

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I would work on a project but it'd take nearly $100,000 for any reasonable sized project just for me, 2-3 years at the least, full time.

What if you worked for free but I gave you stock options like whoa.

Reminds me of those barcode games that caused minor riots as someone discovered something totally OP and there was a mad rush to buy (or steal) crap to scan that code.

hello yes, burger king?

I would like to give you 50,000 stock options for a whopper

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

hello yes, burger king?

I would like to give you 50,000 stock options for a whopper

what is the conversion rate of SkippyBucks to CastleCoins?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Hah people that work for like $20,000 a year and take stock options on a startup are insane.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I don't think that Echoes of Eternia kickstarter is a scam.

Even using RPGmaker, they are all working for essentially free (waaaaaaaaay under min wage) considering the number of hours it is going to take to create their project.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

Go go go

If I can take a stab at RPGMaker, you can do it

Where's my $30k for the project, kickstarter

I am braving the depths of Voddler's free catalogue!
    A CIA agent has to stop a former associate who has stolen a weapon which kills people without harming buildings, all before he is to get married in a few days.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I really can't read about the Liberian Civil War. It's a serious subject that should be read about seriously, but at some point every author feels the need to mention General Butt Naked and my inner five year old loses his shit.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Cat carrier and catnip purchased.

We are a go for cat acquisition!

Hah people that work for like $20,000 a year and take stock options on a startup are insane.

options yes. Options are for suckers.

Actual stock, well it depends. That can work out very well indeed. But you need to be realistic about what actual chances the company has.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    if you are male and you live anywhere that gets mildly warm and you do not use gold bond

...what the hell is wrong with you

919UOwT.png
    desc wrote: »

Go go go

I just love that the project has it so you can download the DIGITAL GAME AND THE DIGITAL SOUNDTRACK!! if you pledge $35.

why is that amusing?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    50 reasons to oppose flouridation, eh?

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    desc wrote: »

Go go go

I just love that the project has it so you can download the DIGITAL GAME AND THE DIGITAL SOUNDTRACK!! if you pledge $35.

edit: the game is basically $15 anyway. so an extra $20 gets you a soundtrack?

seriously this is just a bunch of hilarious bullshit. it might deliver, but it's so pumped up beyond what it really is that it's getting to be hilarious.

here's another one for you
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/274047326/zelda-vs-jesus?ref=live

tyrannus on

ratings agencies have expressed concern about the solvency of castlevania

as a result, castlecoins are not being accepted as legal tender in skiptopia for the foreseeable future

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    50 reasons to oppose flouridation, eh?

Do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk... ice cream. Ice cream, Wazilla, children's ice cream.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    @skippydumptruck

http://otakuworld.com/index.html?/games/psx/mrcd.htm

these are CDs that have rare monsters in them.

i don't know why i am still googling this stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

ratings agencies have expressed concern about the solvency of castlevania

as a result, castlecoins are not being accepted as legal tender in skiptopia for the foreseeable future

you son of a!

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Someone should make a Bieber monster and a dubstep monster and make them fight

dubstep's move would be an elbow drop

919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.