As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[StarCraft2] POST IN THE NEW THREAD. DIABLO KILLED THIS ONE.

• KambingKambing Registered User regular
    I like watching videos of when cheese fails, but damn if those lifesaglitch guys aren't painful as hell to listen to.

Shrug. They're funny enough. Got no problems with them (at least with their cheese vods).

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • badger2dbadger2d San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    This is how I think that starcraft broadcasts would need to be edited to appeal to non-Starcraft players.
    Yilias wrote: »
    That video is weird to me. I feel like none of the battles have any context in that format.
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    What you see in that highlight reel is exactly that: highlights - the most action-packed parts of the game. Regular sports do the same thing; even cricket looks interesting when it's summarised into the news report!

This could actually be a pretty cool thing. Not to replace commentated full games, but to be an ESPN-like highlight reel through which you could catch up on both the gist and the cool moments of tourney games you missed or don't have time to watch all of.

Yilias is right that context is missing though, and to pick up marty's point about sports highlight reels, context is provided in those. In a two-minute game recap/highlight reel on ESPN or wherever, there are always commentators providing brief overview context for how the game's been proceeding to help make sense of the significance of the highlighted moments. That's what this SC2 highlight reel really needs. That, and it needs to be just plain shorter; it actually gets numbing watching intense battle scene after intense battle scene from one game for five minutes straight.

badger2d on
    Blizzard: Symphony #1704
    Steam: badger2d
  • itswebitsweb Registered User regular
    Can someone please tell me how to hold a void ray all in when I'm gasless expanding

it's fucking ridiculous

• crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    edit: with regards to when cheese fails

they are a bit grating sometimes. ;-)

i get it though. they do their hype thing, throw in some catch phrases and generally successfully entertain.

crucialityfactor on
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    itsweb wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me how to hold a void ray all in when I'm gasless expanding

it's fucking ridiculous

As terran?

Hmmmm... I'm no terran expert but if you're expanding and they're not, you should expect some form of aggression to where your tier3 unit (marines) would need to be ready.

All-ins are tough to hold if you're not ready though.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    I don't remember the last time I played this game and had fun

Fuck it

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

it's fucking ridiculous

Bunkers and Marines works for me. If you hold it, your economy is so far ahead you typically win. Don't be afraid to pull SCV's for repair/walling. Scouting and watchtowers couldn't hurt either.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular

it's fucking ridiculous

As soon as you see the all-in coming, lift your natural CC and run back inside your main. Build a bunker at the top of your ramp. If they warp inside your main, pull SCVs and kill the units. As long as you hold the all-in you are in great shape, and can usually win right away with a stim counter-attack.

When playing non-overlord (non-flying map hack) races, I'm starting to leave a worker or something on the edge of mineral lines to tell the moment someone expands.

This saves on mules and is super economic. A good tell of what they're up to as well.

Nexus cancels are so passé.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • itswebitsweb Registered User regular
    Thanks for the responses, I was pretty angry when I first typed that out because I have not seen that build in ages and I've never been able to handle it.

Going over my replays of it, though, I scouted it one game and still lost, and the second game it hit me by surprise. Both times I actually lost to the high ground warp-ins and not the actual void rays themselves. I should be able to handle it next time If I don't let those pylons go up. Just have to live until stim.

thanks mmmig, dover, meeks : )

edited April 2012
    TannerMS wrote: »

Fuck it

Yeah it's a tough sell.... especially when one puts a lot of value in being able to improve or keep up with the status quo of the ever-changing metagame... even more so if one constantly plays to win.

What keeps it going for me are the stress-free nights of drunken team games (I don't condone underage drinking!) or scary team zombie matches. Pictionary's also fun and there's recent mention of starcraft poker.

In short, it's the community that keeps me here, not the game.

I remember in the 11 years of Broodwar going from competitive 1n1s to UMS maps, back to competitive 1n1s and then finally to not playing as much at all. For community, I'd hop from clan channel to clan channel, as each died down or became too serious for their own good.

Heh, I remember Clan -17X. Filled with the elitist wannabe pros, but a good place to find an iCCup C+ or above challenge.
    It was the Tatooine cantina of Starcraft.

/lawn, off

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
    that zombies game is soooo much fun.

• fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    TannerMS wrote: »

Fuck it

Words...

Damn it Mig, you beat me to it. I was just about to say the last time I had a ton of fun with this game was last Friday night, hurling deadly discs of doom down a straightaway at some flag carrying zealot bent on scoring a winning flag cap. Fun times.

Until you get to the end and have no idea what you're supposed to do to win.

Yeah what was that game? I didn't get to play cuz I was late to the party but from Kambing's stream, it looked like fun.

FPS SC2?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    edited April 2012
    photon discs. It's pretty fun, but has the unfortunate tendency of making everyone want to play tribes. We may have to have a drunken friday night tribes game one of these days... and a drunken friday night poker game.

edit: also photon discs isn't technically an FPS

fatalspoons on

there's an end?

edited April 2012

there's an end?

depends on if we're talking about the same zombie game or not. If we are, then yes.

fatalspoons on

there's an end?

depends on if we're talking about the same zombie game or not. If we are, then yes.

the 5 player one. i just figured it got harder and harder until you lost.

there's an end?

No. It's supposed to end. The first time it ended right after killing that alex guy. Not sure why it didn't end when we played it on Friday.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I have fun every time I win a game. If I didn't I'd have stopped playing a long time ago.

wins are awesome, losses are rough but plenty of them are fun too.

I guess I have to try photon discs I don't even know what it is. if it's as fun as photon cycles I'll enjoy it.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Variable wrote: »
    I guess I have to try photon discs I don't even know what it is. if it's as fun as photon cycles I'll enjoy it.

Personally photon cycles is my favorite custom game, but I think I'm part of a rare minority. It's dropped out of rotation on drunken friday night customs as no one ever wants to play it. But photon discs is a lot of fun. Easy to get into, too.

• KambingKambing Registered User regular

there's an end?

No. It's supposed to end. The first time it ended right after killing that alex guy. Not sure why it didn't end when we played it on Friday.

I think the triggers are based on clearing waves of monsters. So if you were just eternally kiting them, then that would explain it.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if we were just playing sub-optimally, but there comes a point where the zombies become too strong to fight and you spend most of your time running away. It's a fun game but it doesn't seem well balanced and I don't see a lot of replay value in it. I noticed a few other co-op zombie games that we can give a try on Friday.

• HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    I've see a couple of posts about darkgrid before. Does anyone actually use this and is it a big improvement on standard keys? It looks like the control group and camera key set up would encourage good mechanics. The only thing that looks terrible is having attack on q but from the sound of it some people have just switched that to w.

Also, do any pros use the extra buttons on their mice and is there a reason for this?

mEEksa wrote: »
    I noticed a few other co-op zombie games that we can give a try on Friday.

Yes please

• chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    huh, you lot are begining to sound a bit burned out. If you're not having fun sure switch to another game for a bit.

Just recently came back to SC2 after a long ME jag, it's a lot of fun at the minute, even when I lose. :)

Should point out I'm only a Gold player, so I never feel I MUST win. :)

chuckleberryfinn on
    No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    gsl tommorow yesssssssssss

might only be code a but who caaaressss
    (T)BoxeR vs (Z)Suhosin

(P)Creator vs (T)Skit

(T)Polt vs (T)Sound

(P)SangHo vs (T)Sting

(T)Keen vs (Z)Golden

(P)Puzzle vs (Z)True

(T)GanZi vs (P)GuineaPig

(T)IMHappy vs (P)Choya

gonna miss the first couple at least which is sad (gogo boxer) but def. wanna see polt vs sound, hopefully killer does well, and the other matches look p.good too

Biosys on
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Hedwirez wrote: »
    I've see a couple of posts about darkgrid before. Does anyone actually use this and is it a big improvement on standard keys? It looks like the control group and camera key set up would encourage good mechanics. The only thing that looks terrible is having attack on q but from the sound of it some people have just switched that to w.

Also, do any pros use the extra buttons on their mice and is there a reason for this?

a lot of people use their mouse buttons for keystrokes. my side buttons are 0(zero) and S, and I keep my hatcheries on 0, so selecting them, and selecting larvae area twitch of my thumb. I've remapped ` to be 8, and W to be 9. W is my queens, and i've remapped E to inject. There are some other zerg-specific changes i've made, but this way, i get to use 3 more control groups easily, and my injects are FAST.

Some people remap their Mouse4+5 (the scroll wheel up and down) to do something special. before the ghost nerf, a lot of terrans used it for ultra fast snipes.

After you've played the game a while, you really need to remap parts of your keyboard, both traditional and grid have things goofy in certain places, the camera keys suck, and reaching more than 6 or 7 is a huge hand move, limiting the number of control groups you can effectively use.

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I bought a razer naga for this reason but actually getting a handle on it is intimidating as fuck

• shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    I play with regular grid, and i map 0 to `, and 789 to yhn. Makes everything easily accessible with my left hand. I really need to remap explode baneling to not the same as morph though...i've accidentally blown them up so many times :/

edited April 2012
    I had a mouse with two extra buttons and wanted to map them to shift and ctrl, just so I wouldn't have to contort my hand all the time when setting hotkeys. Unfortunately the mouse sucked so I returned it but I'd like to try it again someday with a better mouse and see if it helps. Maybe when HOTS comes out I'll use it to play the campaign.

fatalspoons on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I had a mouse with two extra buttons and wanted to map them to shift and ctrl, just so I wouldn't have to contort my hand all the time when setting hotkeys. Unfortunately the mouse sucked so I returned it but I'd like to try it again someday with a better mouse and see if it helps. Maybe when HOTS comes out I'll use it to play the campaign.

Okay, wow, that is a great idea.

edited April 2012
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Okay, wow, that is a great idea.

fatalspoons on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    seriously

I never even thought of doing that. I have those two buttons bound to control group 9 and 0 and I always forget to use those for useful things anyway

Changing right now

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Biosys wrote: »
    gsl tommorow yesssssssssss

might only be code a but who caaaressss
    (T)BoxeR vs (Z)Suhosin

(P)Creator vs (T)Skit

(T)Polt vs (T)Sound

(P)SangHo vs (T)Sting

(T)Keen vs (Z)Golden

(P)Puzzle vs (Z)True

(T)GanZi vs (P)GuineaPig

(T)IMHappy vs (P)Choya

gonna miss the first couple at least which is sad (gogo boxer) but def. wanna see polt vs sound, hopefully killer does well, and the other matches look p.good too

i'm glad i don't care about anyone playing TvP (except maybe choya) so i can't do other things while those games are going on and not feel guilty at all

• marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    I have about 10 buttons on my mouse but, man, my mouse arm gets tired enough as it is, warping in 12 units at a time for 20 minutes.

• shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    I have about 10 buttons on my mouse but, man, my mouse arm gets tired enough as it is, warping in 12 units at a time for 20 minutes.
    gotta switch to zerg. just have to pick which key you want to hold down: d, z, or r.

shwaip on
  • HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    How do you change your mouse buttons to ctrl and shift? Sounds like a great idea but I heard it mentioned in the darkgrid thread on team liquid that it wasn't competition legal; although it's not like I am enterin GSL any time soon.

You'll need to do it through your drivera

This discussion has been closed.