As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]Making a new thread for the BWE. See you guys on Aspenwood soon!

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Geod should have done a side-by-side comparison of his character and an asura. I am willing to bet that the asura would be bigger than him.

There were some Asura (NPCs) nearby. It was best I didn't get them in the photo.

am0n on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Dodging: I'm pretty sure I was doing it wrong. Could some people who were really good at it explain the mechanics?

What is this I don't even.
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    I also made my dude super short.

Be my short bro, @Geod

mrsatansig.png
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Dodging: I'm pretty sure I was doing it wrong. Could some people who were really good at it explain the mechanics?

If you're dodging when any effect would happen during an animation, it is evaded. You don't need to literally dodge out of the way of anything, though it is useful as a dash. You just need to BE dodging when the numbers pop up, and it is effectively a X.Y second invincibility

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

If you're dodging when any effect would happen during an animation, it is evaded. You don't need to literally dodge out of the way of anything, though it is useful as a dash. You just need to BE dodging when the numbers pop up, and it is effectively a X.Y second invincibility

So, I figured that out. I'd usually dodge when a big-bad boss was telegraphing an obvious boss-attack. When else should I have been dodging?

What is this I don't even.
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    Dying in wuvwuv and having a battering ram blueprint dissapear from my inventory sucked. Is that a design choice or a bug?

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    Speaking of dodging, I found that enemies have really short leashes that I'd often hit inadvertently just playing keepaway, as roll for initiative (love that name) and withdraw only move you backwards. No kiting enemies silly distances a la WoW, alas.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    Hey guys, just fyi, the GW2 forums will only be up for a few days, so make sure you post your feedback ASAP.

Did so on a bunch of threads, but there's a constant shouting down on certain issues. Hopefully A.net will be ignoring those replies.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Voro wrote: »
    Hey guys, just fyi, the GW2 forums will only be up for a few days, so make sure you post your feedback ASAP.

Did so on a bunch of threads, but there's a constant shouting down on certain issues. Hopefully A.net will be ignoring those replies.

like which?

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I want to, but I haven't been able to log in since Friday (it's trying to re-create my account that already exists for whatever reason, then giving me an error message) and poor Support is too swamped to help me. :(

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I must say, after playing WvW, I just couldn't find myself doing anything else during the event. I ended up getting most of my levels simply off nonstop PVP.

I didn't get too many screenshots (only when I remembered to) but probably like a few others, when I saw this mass of [GOON] and other random invaders that last night, I couldn't help but take a quick picture before turning and running for my life. Didn't help much that I turned around, and the other half of their swarm was right there.
    7C0E526AB51A45C9C04100C7DF5B68F3F7B5535B

did you know you have the exact same avatar as PipTheFair

Holy shit that's not Pip, I just assumed it was.

I am dumbfounded at people on the forums proclaiming they want long duration CC's.

What?

They're more than long enough already. Any longer and you might as well just put a giant V over the skills that cause them.

I am dumbfounded at people on the forums proclaiming they want long duration CC's.

What?

They're more than long enough already. Any longer and you might as well just put a giant V over the skills that cause them.

this is boggling

• MortifiedPenguinMortifiedPenguin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

like which?

The engineer forums is on fire with people unhappy about weapon kits. Some of it I agree with, like the flamethrower which seems to almost constantly miss enemies if they so much as move. Some people are asking for sweeping changes though.

The mechanics for the class are fine, I just want to actually be able to put a dent in stuff. I don't see ANet making big changes though, just tweaks, which is good.

I also saw a thread about giving Charr females boobs. Truly amazing feedback for the developers.

MortifiedPenguin on

What?

this is boggling

Are we... in agreement? or...?

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I must say, after playing WvW, I just couldn't find myself doing anything else during the event. I ended up getting most of my levels simply off nonstop PVP.

I didn't get too many screenshots (only when I remembered to) but probably like a few others, when I saw this mass of [GOON] and other random invaders that last night, I couldn't help but take a quick picture before turning and running for my life. Didn't help much that I turned around, and the other half of their swarm was right there.
    7C0E526AB51A45C9C04100C7DF5B68F3F7B5535B

If I can borrow that screenshot for a point. That green arrow next to the "Red Defender" name is exactly what I was talking about last topic. That's how you can easily pick a mesmer out of a crowd of clones and duplicates, because the player is the only one who's going to have that arrow next to their name.

What?

this is boggling

oh yeah sorry i should've written more, i agree with you

i can't believe people WANT to be cc'd for ten seconds straight

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    People on the thief forum are talking about backstabs.

Was this actually a thing? Like you get bonus damage attacking from the back or something? I never noticed

Was this actually a thing? Like you get bonus damage attacking from the back or something? I never noticed

each of the weapons had some sort of bonus effect if you attack while stealthed, breaking the stealth
    shortbow was immobilize, pistol was shoot many times, i guess dagger was backstab based on this post

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular

each of the weapons had some sort of bonus effect if you attack while stealthed, breaking the stealth
    shortbow was immobilize, pistol was shoot many times, i guess dagger was backstab based on this post

Oh wow. Yeah I never bothered to check the tooltip for the weapons while in stealth. I was always curious as to why my pistol/dagger combo would sometimes release a volley of shots.

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

What?

this is boggling

It's akin to Stockholme syndrome. People have become so used to being rendered unable to control their character until they die in PvP that they've come to think it's enjoyable. Hopefully ANet is stronger willed that Blizzard. :(

steam_sig.png
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular

like which?

Personal story and PvE scaling are attracting a lot of "don't listen to whiners" and "learn to play, noob" comments. People are refusing to accept that there may need to be some tweaks since it doesn't work in 100% of case, but people will shout it down just because they didn't run into issues during their limited play this weekend.

The other main one I've been watching is character slots. There's an army of people acting like Arena.net needs to short-change you in order to make money. They think that somehow not having a subscription fee means a.net can't turn a profit if they give you one slot per profession. It's going to be a tough sell for me to get friends into GW2 if they see 8 professions and 5 slots. Coming from either WoW or D3, it will just look like yet another money-grubbing cash shop game.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular

What?

this is boggling

I think it's more they want to cc other people that long and lack the capacity to imagine such a thing happening to someone as good as themselves.

edited April 2012

Personal story and PvE scaling are attracting a lot of "don't listen to whiners" and "learn to play, noob" comments. People are refusing to accept that there may need to be some tweaks since it doesn't work in 100% of case, but people will shout it down just because they didn't run into issues during their limited play this weekend.

This right here makes me angry. Spending 45 minutes on my low level Engineer while trying to solo a group of 4 npcs (ascalonian fighter, 2 archers, and a healer), that I literally could not put a dent in without resetting it and getting my NPC meat shields back was a god damn nightmare.

MortifiedPenguin on
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    Geod should have done a side-by-side comparison of his character and an asura. I am willing to bet that the asura would be bigger than him.

There were some Asura (NPCs) nearby. It was best I didn't get them in the photo.

I didn't even realize when I made the character that I was making him short. I'd be curious to see what the height difference between the shortest human and the tallest asura would be.

Also, if you're short, the enemy can't see you as easily in PvP. That's my rationalization.

like which?

The engineer forums is on fire with people unhappy about weapon kits. Some of it I agree with, like the flamethrower which seems to almost constantly miss enemies if they so much as move. Some people are asking for sweeping changes though.

The mechanics for the class are fine, I just want to actually be able to put a dent in stuff. I don't see ANet making big changes though, just tweaks, which is good.

Part of that is due to the collision detection with damage. I'm sure there's a better way of putting it but there it is. Basically, there's almost 0 vertical elements to any skill and the "animation" is not just an animation. If the animation doesn't hit the enemy, neither do you. There's a number of skills where that flat, directional AoE has issues.

There's also a couple dozen times where it's been obvious and saved my butt. Running around an enemy's attack or getting above an enemy in a water fight usually means insta-win or taking no damage. It's especially bad in water fighting where getting to the surface regenerates your health. In that case, usually the simple act of swimming up means the enemy is following directly underneath you, and because skills lack a vertical element, they can't actually hit you when they're directly below you. However, directed attacks like the elementalist auto-attacks are directed at the enemy, so still hit.
    I also saw a thread about giving Charr females boobs. Truly amazing feedback for the developers.
    Considering 1 out of 5 female Charr merchants were completely naked in the game (especially around the entrance to the Charr city), I think it would be a terrible idea. Also Charr don't need Boobs, there's plenty to tell them apart from the men. Just so long as they don't mysteriously slip into a male charr voice.

Geod wrote: »
    am0n wrote: »

I didn't even realize when I made the character that I was making him short. I'd be curious to see what the height difference between the shortest human and the tallest asura would be.

Also, if you're short, the enemy can't see you as easily in PvP. That's my rationalization.

if you're gigantic, they will think you're in range when you're far away!

• CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

There's also actual non-stealth backstabbing, in the form of flanking, as well as the dagger stealth skill.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Part of that is due to the collision detection with damage. I'm sure there's a better way of putting it but there it is. Basically, there's almost 0 vertical elements to any skill and the "animation" is not just an animation. If the animation doesn't hit the enemy, neither do you. There's a number of skills where that flat, directional AoE has issues.

There's also a couple dozen times where it's been obvious and saved my butt. Running around an enemy's attack or getting above an enemy in a water fight usually means insta-win or taking no damage. It's especially bad in water fighting where getting to the surface regenerates your health. In that case, usually the simple act of swimming up means the enemy is following directly underneath you, and because skills lack a vertical element, they can't actually hit you when they're directly below you. However, directed attacks like the elementalist auto-attacks are directed at the enemy, so still hit.

Considering 1 out of 5 female Charr merchants were completely naked in the game (especially around the entrance to the Charr city), I think it would be a terrible idea. Also Charr don't need Boobs, there's plenty to tell them apart from the men. Just so long as they don't mysteriously slip into a male charr voice.

The vertical issue is silly. Seems like something that will be addressed though so I'll certainly be going back to engineer next BWE. If nothing else ANet knows that it needs looking at in a few areas. It WILL be my main, it just needs some fixing up.

Charr do not need boobs, but it was funny that it got more replies than serious feedback on charr running animations and other stuff.

MortifiedPenguin on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    The other main one I've been watching is character slots. There's an army of people acting like Arena.net needs to short-change you in order to make money. They think that somehow not having a subscription fee means a.net can't turn a profit if they give you one slot per profession. It's going to be a tough sell for me to get friends into GW2 if they see 8 professions and 5 slots. Coming from either WoW or D3, it will just look like yet another money-grubbing cash shop game.

Not that I don't sympathize, but I don't see the slot situation changing much. Anet will set the number of slots where the market will bear it and not a slot higher.

fuck gendered marketing
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    Zellpher wrote: »

What?

this is boggling

I think it's more they want to cc other people that long and lack the capacity to imagine such a thing happening to someone as good as themselves.

It's memories from oldschool DAOC that I see often. Where you remember mezzing a huge group of people for a minute and dismantling them. And forgetting why that's terrible gameplay.

Small groups from what I've seen have a bunch of awesome ways to escape larger groups. That's good. CC shouldn't last for more than 2-3 seconds, though. 10sec Moa seems like it needs to become 5s Moa with some other effect to make up for the cooldown.

kildy wrote: »

What?

this is boggling

It's memories from oldschool DAOC that I see often. Where you remember mezzing a huge group of people for a minute and dismantling them. And forgetting why that's terrible gameplay.

Small groups from what I've seen have a bunch of awesome ways to escape larger groups. That's good. CC shouldn't last for more than 2-3 seconds, though. 10sec Moa seems like it needs to become 5s Moa with some other effect to make up for the cooldown.

Part of the problem is that everyone is approaching the game from a "Me" standpoint. Which, to be honest, is definitely a fair view. The other part of the problem is that Guild Wars is very much a "we" game. You wont get anywhere in a dungeon or PvP until you start realizing that everyone in a small group has a mes of some sort and can all be swapping them out, quick firing them to mes an enemy long enough to completely destroy them. Instead everyone wants their one CC to last as long as the proper "group rapidly swapping out CC duties" does.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    They need to tone down size differences a bit. My female human mesmer was somewhere near the middle of the slider, but standing next to this random Norn NPC is just silly.

size.jpg

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well, that's roughly how big the norn were in relation to the player character in GW1.

reVerse on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I think five slots is a good number.

i don't see why that means they should have to turn it down :P

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    I sat behind my brother while he was playing a ranger for 3 hours. The default bear pet is an incredibly powerful tank. He charmed a river drake, whose f2 does massive damage and skills do aoe damage, but it died every battle. Their AI probably just needs some work.

edited April 2012
    The Anet guys and gals have been responding to the personal story suggestions:
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/story/Suggestion-Remove-downscaling-levels-in-Personal-Story/page/1
    They seem inclined to scale down areas that are harder, but not entire encounters.

Also, the Mesmer forums are making me laugh.
    Two very interesting topics, one above the other: "Mesmers to OP for PVP?" right below "Mesmer: a big letdown for PVPers?"

Dedwrekka on
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    kildy wrote: »

What?

this is boggling

Part of the problem is that everyone is approaching the game from a "Me" standpoint. Which, to be honest, is definitely a fair view. The other part of the problem is that Guild Wars is very much a "we" game. You wont get anywhere in a dungeon or PvP until you start realizing that everyone in a small group has a mes of some sort and can all be swapping them out, quick firing them to mes an enemy long enough to completely destroy them. Instead everyone wants their one CC to last as long as the proper "group rapidly swapping out CC duties" does.

Yeah, that's pretty much par for the course for us gamers though. We're a greedy bunch.

The game definitely has solo PvP builds that you want to use when pubbing it in BG's... but the more interesting builds spring up when you start thinking about what your team brings to the table. For instance, as a Warrior... I'd like to try a build that brings lots of banners to the table. Sacrificing some DPS or mobility for group utility is something to take into consideration.

Hopefully A.Net sticks to their guns. Some people need to play the game for longer than a weekend to see just how genious the grouping mechanics will be. Creating builds tailored for your groups will lead to some amazing gameplay. People just need to pull their heads out of their own asses and realize it's not all about them. Each player is a cog in the wheel.

steam_sig.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    I have never really been a fan of pet class gaming but I decided to give it a whirl.

All the pets I had were 'juveniles' though, do you have to charm adult versions in higher leveled areas or do they level with you at some point?

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.