As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Condemned on the PC is just fine, though nothing really amazing over the 360 version. Probably looks nicer and I do enjoy FP games more with a mouse, but yeah.

Magus` on
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    The guys behind the Stranger's Wrath HD treatment tweeted today the PS3 versions is in the final stages of Q&A, and news on the PC release should follow shortly after.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    aerynkelly wrote: »
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Did the steam store break for anyone else or am I just lucky?

Looks broken to me too. What did you do to it? :)

I just tried to serve the Newell, honest!

Well it seems to be working again now. Quickly, serve him now while you have the chance!

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Darlan wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    Does anyone have any knowledge of the quality of Condemned on PC? Worth replacing the 360 version that's been sitting on my shelf, unplayed as of yet, for 8 bucks?
    I don't remember having any issues with my copy of the game, but is there something wrong with the 360 version? Why would you re-buy it?

PC is just my preferred platform, since you always get better framerate and better visuals at the very least. Also, KBAM for first-person over a controller ANY day.

Since I haven't actually played Condemned yet, I have an opportunity now to sell my 360 copy and buy the PC version, and get the best experience. Unless the PC version is all fucked up, which can happen, so that's why I was asking.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    Corpekata wrote: »
    The guys behind the Stranger's Wrath HD treatment tweeted today the PS3 versions is in the final stages of Q&A, and news on the PC release should follow shortly after.

Thank god, I was wondering if they were just yanking our chains with the PC update.

steam_sig.png
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    Does anyone have any knowledge of the quality of Condemned on PC? Worth replacing the 360 version that's been sitting on my shelf, unplayed as of yet, for 8 bucks?
    I don't remember having any issues with my copy of the game, but is there something wrong with the 360 version? Why would you re-buy it?

PC is just my preferred platform, since you always get better framerate and better visuals at the very least. Also, KBAM for first-person over a controller ANY day.

Since I haven't actually played Condemned yet, I have an opportunity now to sell my 360 copy and buy the PC version, and get the best experience. Unless the PC version is all fucked up, which can happen, so that's why I was asking.
    Come to think of it, I think it did force a widescreen aspect ratio with black bars on my then full-screen monitor. It didn't bug me at all, but something to keep in mind.

• aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    Did the steam store break for anyone else or am I just lucky?

Looks broken to me too. What did you do to it? :)

I just tried to serve the Newell, honest!

Well it seems to be working again now. Quickly, serve him now while you have the chance!

It took me a couple tries, but the Newell has been served!

fss_overall.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Condemned PC version from what I understand had similar problems that F.E.A.R has with some people with Logitech stuff/ lots of wireless stuff plugged into the USB, but that's about all I remember. If you own FEAR I'd suggest downloading it and giving it a quick spin to see if you get FPS trouble.

Corpekata on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    this isn't my giveaway, but I'd hate for anyone to miss out on a chance for it:
    signature.png

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    According to Steam's Facebook, there's a weeklong deal to celebrate Morrowind's 10th anniversary:

Morrowind and Oblivion are 50% off, ends May 7th. (sweet jesus)

A dollar for every year it's been out? Bethsoft sure knows how to throw a celebratory sale, let me tell yuh.

I'm personally waiting until it hits $5.00. That's holy crap gift randomly territory, and I'd buy three copies. Fallout 3, New Vagas, and Oblivion have all been there in the past. But not Morrowind for some reason.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I would buy both immediately at $5 a piece.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I've actually been playing Morrowind again recently so that's kind of neat that it's on sale now. I love Morrowind the most out of all of the Elder Scrolls games and I hope everyone buys a copy!

JtgVX0H.png
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    According to Steam's Facebook, there's a weeklong deal to celebrate Morrowind's 10th anniversary:

A dollar for every year it's been out? Bethsoft sure knows how to throw a celebratory sale, let me tell yuh.

I'm personally waiting until it hits $5.00. That's holy crap gift randomly territory, and I'd buy three copies. Fallout 3, New Vagas, and Oblivion have all been there in the past. But not Morrowind for some reason.

I picked up Morrowind back in June 2010 for €5, so it was probably $5 too.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    Many thanks to Choco for DS3 since I found apparently the ultimate Nina image. I've heard bad things, but I loves Obsidian, so I'm going to give it a fair shake.

steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »

Yeah $10 for a ten year old game :/

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life

You have your impulse buy level and I have mine.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I've bought Morrowind three times and if I got banned from Steam I'd buy it a fourth time at full price and still feel it was worth it.

Some people just really like certain games, ya know?

JtgVX0H.png
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Shit Morrowind is still worth at least $20. Getting it on sale now for $10 is a bargain for what you get. Best Elder Scrolls game, slightly ahead of Skyrim if you ask me.

B6yM5w2.gif

Sorry, to be clear, I agree with you. The :/ was for the deal not your impulse price.

Zdy0pmg.jpg

Sorry, to be clear, I agree with you. The :/ was for the deal not your impulse price.

Oh well then. YA. Take that shitty deal!

• EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    You know, most classic games I get. I love them for the same reasons most people do. Deus Ex? Unreal Tournament? Alpha Centauri? Baldur's Gate? Roller Coaster Tycoon? Etc? All awesome and I totally understand why they are considered the best of gaming from yesteryear.

But not Morrowind.

I just don't understand why people like that game! I bought it on release and got about 5 hours in. And the whole time I was waiting to be entertained. At all. It was drab, obtuse and dull! I'm reeeaally not a fan of hitting something and being told I didn't because an invisible dice roll failed.

I keep going back to it once a year, hoping it'll finally click. But it just doesn't.

Can someone explain to me what makes it so great for them? 'Cus I'm just baffled and feel like I'm the wierd one :)

Euphoriac on
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Condemned PC version from what I understand had similar problems that F.E.A.R has with some people with Logitech stuff/ lots of wireless stuff plugged into the USB, but that's about all I remember. If you own FEAR I'd suggest downloading it and giving it a quick spin to see if you get FPS trouble.

I have a Logitech wireless keyboard. :O

steam_sig.png
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    CLASS ALERT LEVEL RAISED TO TOTALLY FUCKING DAPPER:

@Iolo gifted me DE:HR out of the blue today! :^: :^: :^: :^:

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    CLASS ALERT LEVEL RAISED TO TOTALLY FUCKING DAPPER:

@Iolo gifted me DE:HR out of the blue today! :^: :^: :^: :^:

So, now that everyone in the Thread has Borderlands, you will now start gifting HR?

Oh @Iolo, you classy gent.

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Congratulations to @Masume, winner of the UFO: Afterlight giveaway. Enjoy!

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    You know, most classic games I get. I love them for the same reasons most people do. Deus Ex? Unreal Tournament? Alpha Centauri? Baldur's Gate? Roller Coaster Tycoon? Etc? All awesome and I totally understand why they are considered the best of gaming from yesteryear.

But not Morrowind.

I just don't understand why people like that game! I bought it on release and got about 5 hours in. And the whole time I was waiting to be entertained. At all. It was drab, obtuse and dull! I'm reeeaally not a fan of hitting something and being told I didn't because an invisible dice roll failed.

I keep going back to it once a year, hoping it'll finally click. But it just doesn't.

Can someone explain to me what makes it so great for them? 'Cus I'm just baffled and feel like I'm the wierd one :)

I sort of hated it until I read hints about where awesome stuff was, and then (having been given a doable objective) entertained myself by stealing sweet swords. But even so. Everyone hates you, and everything is trying to kill you, and a lot of visible quests just aren't doable; you're really wimpy. I eventually stopped playing because the tone was so depressing. The soundtrack might have something to do with that.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »

Not bad, but I'd be able to celebrate a lot better with a Skyrim sale too, steam.

You had your chance a month or so ago. The way that game sold, sales will be few and small.

Morrowind, however, might be a good buy now. I know I had to wait for it to go on sale longer than I anticipated. It never seemed to join the other Bethesda games in summer sales or Quakecon week or whatever.

I did? How much was it a month ago?

I don't know when it was exactly, but it did get a 33% off sale at some point.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

But not Morrowind.

If you think morrowind is dull, don't get Oblivion

steam_sig.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    oakke wrote: »

It didn't click with you.

It clicked for 300 hours with me.

Would I play it ever again? Doubtful. Some things are just old, gameplay-wise. But the original sense of wonder? Discovering the weird creatures and groups of people that inhabit it? Entering dungeons and sometimes not finding anything useful at all, other times just some lore, and other great loot?

The whole Solstheim arc was great, too. Werewolves rock!

I guess, in part, was that the game never held your hand like more modern ones. You were left to your own devices, and that was beautiful. You could find very good weapons (provided you knew where to look.) And it was all so... alien.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

But not Morrowind.

If you think morrowind is dull, don't get Oblivion

Oh, I did.

I got a little farther. The better graphics and non-shitty combat helped, but yeah, dull dull dull.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So I'm playing DE:HR and I was just reading some of Adam's emails and I found one about his dog.
    Wtf? Did this bitch kill his dog? Like this guy hasn't been through enough?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    So I'm playing DE:HR and I was just reading some of Adam's emails and I found one about his dog.
    Wtf? Did this bitch kill his dog? Like this guy hasn't been through enough?
    He went to the farm
    and got digging and crotch linking enhancement augs

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think the biggest difference between Morrowind and Oblivion is twofold

First and foremost is that Morrowind crafts an interesting and foreign world, while Oblivion retconned Cyrodiil into blandy mcbland fantasy English countryside

Second and only slightly less important is that I feel that the story was much better crafted and gave a better illusion of player agency. Partially due to the fact that your character is eventually an important dude, and partially due to the way the tasks are structured to give you multiple goals at each stage of the quest. Rather than a straight line of quests, it fans out into multiple interconnected quests at each story hallmark.

EDIT: That said Oblivion did have some very, very well crafted quest lines. It's just the main quest doesn't happen to be one of those. The Thieves Guild quest line in Oblivion remains one of my favorites, despite my less than glowing opinion of the overall game. And basically everything in the Shivering Isles is excellent. (Then again, it also fixes both my first and second points above)

Maddoc on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

Yeah, Half-Life was a dollar on it's 10th anniversary.

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I can't get Sniper Elite V2 to download or do anything but stay a "pre-order" in my library.

So here's a deal I found on the Steam forums:

http://getgamesgo.com/product/sniper-elite-v2-po

30 bucks from whatever Get Games is.

• MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Congratulations to @Masume, winner of the UFO: Afterlight giveaway. Enjoy!

You sir, are an alien of another class. Thanks!

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I can't get Sniper Elite V2 to download or do anything but stay a "pre-order" in my library.

So here's a deal I found on the Steam forums:

http://getgamesgo.com/product/sniper-elite-v2-po

30 bucks from whatever Get Games is.
    I think that's....eurogamer's thing?

steam_sig.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    That Sniper Elite v2 doesn't have its own thread in G&T is...disheartening.

I played about 1.25 joy-filled hours just now. I got a testikill! Having a co-op partner would be ever so nice.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    So about these Elder Scrolls things. I have a question, but first some history.

I bought one of them once. I think it was Daggerfall. I know it came on about a dozen 1.2MB 5.25" floppy disks, because that was the style of the day.

I installed it and couldn't get past the first rat, because the combat was "click the mouse and drag it across the screen like you are swinging a weapon" and I was horrible at it. I uninstalled it, never looked back, and never found another game that used the same controls... until recently when I tried Mount and Blade and found that someone apparently thought that it was a good idea to use the same scheme there.

So my question, then, is whether or not Morrowind and Oblivion have this same "click and drag to swing" thing going on, or if I can just click a button to attack.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Both Arena and Daggerfall did that. No, the games don't do the swing motion thing anymore. Though, Morrowind's system does include the to-hit mechanic from the prior games, where your weapon will repeatedly miss depending on what the stats and RNG god decides. From Oblivion on, the weapons will always hit if the target is dead on.

Although, to be honest, even with those improvements, I still think TES combat (Skyrim included) to be uncompelling at best.

Zxerol on
This discussion has been closed.