As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The War of Art: Vanguard kind of likes how Satan's asshole smells

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    altmann dropping some truth bombs in here

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    SJ wrote: »
    I also use micron pens. Is this for writing something in particular, or...?

I had an idea that I'll probably never do because it requires effort.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Finished the lone Chaos Warrior I was farting around with. For whatever reason I decided to try my hand at rust. I'm not rightly sure why, I have no armies that could make use of that effect.

EDIT: christ it looks like shit up close with harsh lighting.

Finished-WoC01.png

Dat ASS

Finished-WoC02.png

Dat AXE

Finished-WoC03.png

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I think he looks excellent. Heck, I loved you IF earlier. I hope mine look half as good.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    I use a brush. Like a man.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Micron pens are what women non-masochists use.

• altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    Hey a Deathwatch Terminator:

6984486722_d1f16ce020_c.jpg

6984486650_a1be8fecf5_c.jpg

6984486556_b010bbc46f_c.jpg

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to find a damn Raven Guard shoulder pad. Thought I had one lined up, but the dude will not send it to me.

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    In general, I'm a big fan of that Termi, but the Sword's just not doing it for me.
    I'm still trying to find a damn Raven Guard shoulder pad. Thought I had one lined up, but the dude will not send it to me.
    I *may* have one spare. Where are you located?

Also, more blaggards:
    S5003757.JPG
    S5003759.JPG

p.s. And entierly under-rated, The Avengers was so good that I've been sorely tempted to buy more of Knight Models wonderful minis.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    @Asher, I'm in the US. Shipping for one tiny bit would probably not be worth it to you, since you live in the Prison Colony.

And thems Dark Elves look sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

Extreaminatus on
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Yeah probably not worth it for a teeny tiny resin pad. Not to mention the chances of it getting squished.

And thanks!

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Infinity! My second Ghulam is done. Minus the eyes and satin varnish, because I'm tired. And my Ghulam doctor. I wanted to try a new skin tone and hair colour.

360788_sm-Haqqislam%20Ghulams.JPG

360789_sm-Haqqislam%20Ghulam%20Doctor%20WIP%201.JPG

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Dang but there is some nice stuff going on all over this page.
    Promotions for everybody!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    So, I have $122.50 in BTP credit. I don't want/need them to paint anything for me, but they can get just about any line in the hobby except Forgeworld.

I really need to expand my line of paints. I have a bunch of the pre-145 Citadel paints -- most of the washes, the foundations I love, and a handful of metallics and layer paints that I used on my Chaos army. Now that I'm playing Empire, I need more. I picked up some P3 (Beaten Purple) and Vallejo (Glorious Gold) to test them out. I loved the Vallejo, but wasn't wild about the P3, although someone mentioned that might just be due to purples sucking.

So who's got experience with paint sets? I don't want to pick out 50+ colors myself, but it looks like P3 only does sets based on Warmahordes armies, and Vallejo's got little 16-color bricks or the $250 megaset. Any suggestions?

• skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    Reaper's got triads, which work pretty well for the most part and cuts it to picking out ~16 colors. Or their first ~50 colors set is usually around $130 with normal discounts.

why are you smelling it?
    edited May 2012
    I'm beginning to wonder whether I like the reaper paints I got or not. At the same time, the p3's I have have awesome coverage and stuff.

Edit: I could be doing everything wrong though.

TheLawinator on
    Every time I buy a new set of Reaper paints I swear I'm never buying another brand again. And every time I see them dry on a model it's difficult to hide my erection.

Except for metallics. Reaper metallics aren't bad I just prefer others.

And regarding coverage - certain colors are just shitty for coverage across the board period. Unless you get yourself a high pigment version.

I'm always buying new paint - even colors I already own in different brands - to find that perfect version of each color.

Ugh. BTP says they have a hard time ordering Vallejo, but can do everything else. Reaper sounds bad for layering, which is my jam, more so than wet blends or glazes.

P3? Or just blow my credit on more models so I have a big gray empire army instead of a modest painted one.

Reaper is not bad for layering. That's silly. Being good at one thing doesn't mean it's bad at the other thing.

- The triad system takes out all the guesswork and leaves you with really natural-looking subtle gradations.
    - You can use it right out of the bottle thanks to it having flow improver in it.
    - The pigment doesn't separate from the binder when you thin it with water which means...
    - No chalkiness or tidemarks if you choose to do some 'juicing' like I do.
    - It dries super matte and looks amazing.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Super proud of the work I did on this, especially the layering/blending on the robes. Go go Harbinger of Menoth!
    tzeentchling.jpg

Is this for the project? Is it for a power armor dude? I can send one of my extra ones if you want. Hell, I can send you a whole dudes worth of RG upgrades if you want.

• Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Still just a WIP, but I started working on my Ogre Bloodbowl team

ogreteam_wip_2.jpg

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Huh. Looks more… Nurgle-y than I expected, that does.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    altmann wrote: »
    Hey a Deathwatch Terminator:

6984486722_d1f16ce020_c.jpg

6984486650_a1be8fecf5_c.jpg

6984486556_b010bbc46f_c.jpg
    Heh, you doing the blue-white fur too, now? Looks great with the black. Really cold looking model. I love it.

• Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Huh. Looks more… Nurgle-y than I expected, that does.

That would be because they are Nurgle tainted Ogres! :P

They like to party with my other team the Stagnant Society.

• altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    I saw your thunderwolf matrias, and when I was trying to think of a fur scheme (brown, grey, white etc.) i remembered your ice wolf blue scheme and I tried it. I like it!

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I too think the DW Terminator is nice. Honestly that's the kind of highlighting I get when I highlight black, but for some reason I always feel like the lines are to...obvious. Even to the point of feeling comical. I think that's the shade of gray I use though, after seeing yours Altman. What gray are you using (Also useful to get the color pallet for the army in line)?

If I'm being really critical though: I do feel like he's a little bland for a DW veteran. More bits and widgets might have been nice. That's probably related to how ornate I'm making my models these days in terms of "field gear" though.

Deathwatch have the whole left arm steel which is traditionally achieved by a really thin blue wash. /nitpick

Also highlighting black is like the hardest thing to do. I do not look forward to painting my Deathwatch marine for the project. I think it's going to involve mixing some black with the darkest grey with tiny zenithal highlights of pure codex grey. But even then I'm worried.

• OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Got myself a unit box for the Black Talons faction in Heavy Gear Blitz! Started painting them up. Themed them after the Titans, the antagonists from Zeta Gundam:
    JNkZv.jpg

Done washing it. Going to clean up a few things then highlight the sucker.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    Reaper is not bad for layering. That's silly. Being good at one thing doesn't mean it's bad at the other thing.

- The triad system takes out all the guesswork and leaves you with really natural-looking subtle gradations.
    - You can use it right out of the bottle thanks to it having flow improver in it.
    - The pigment doesn't separate from the binder when you thin it with water which means...
    - No chalkiness or tidemarks if you choose to do some 'juicing' like I do.
    - It dries super matte and looks amazing.
    So, one of the gripes about Reaper paints is that their coverage isn't great. The flow improver is one of the things that makes it great for wet blending/glazing, but if all I want to do is slowly layer up small flat surfaces and such, I could see that not being ideal.

Also, has anyone had the fabled Reaper cracking issue? Supposedly they don't play nicely on top of other paints. Some say it happens more often than not, others say that's a huge exaggeration. So I dunno.

Oh, that's probably what happened on my dude's shoulder.

altmann wrote: »
    I saw your thunderwolf matrias, and when I was trying to think of a fur scheme (brown, grey, white etc.) i remembered your ice wolf blue scheme and I tried it. I like it!
    It looks pretty good, but it has this sort of ghostly effect and I wouldn't want to use it for more than the one thunderwolf.

If you do it with anything bigger I'd like to see it.

mr_mich wrote: »
    Also, has anyone had the fabled Reaper cracking issue? Supposedly they don't play nicely on top of other paints. Some say it happens more often than not, others say that's a huge exaggeration. So I dunno.

Never seen it.

That's not true. I have seen it on my palette which leads me to believe it happens when you glob too much on.

If you're worried about coverage buy the HD stuff but you're doing yourself a disservice by not dabbling a bit in all of the big 4 paint brands.

• OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I heard the Reaper cracking happens if you don't thin it enough, due to whatever weird stuff they put in the paint.

makosig.jpg
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Kromlech order arrived today!
    I made some Ogryns with the dkok ork heads and backpacks.
    guard-ogryn.jpg
    The bone 'ead has a valkarie h-bolter under his arm, doesnt show up in the pics.

website_header.jpg

Is this for the project? Is it for a power armor dude? I can send one of my extra ones if you want. Hell, I can send you a whole dudes worth of RG upgrades if you want.

According to the German dude I ordered it from, it's on the way. I'll hit you up if it's not here by next wednesday, though.

Do you have all the upgrade pieces, or just the one?

• MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Got myself a unit box for the Black Talons faction in Heavy Gear Blitz! Started painting them up. Themed them after the Titans, the antagonists from Zeta Gundam:
    JNkZv.jpg

Done washing it. Going to clean up a few things then highlight the sucker.

YESSSSS! HEAVY GEAR!

Looking good so far.

snm_sig.jpg
    edited May 2012
    Here's the next member of the squad. I'd use a better camera but a certain member of the family is being lazy and petulant, and can't be assed to go find it, wherever she might have it.
    rIpe1.jpg

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    Do you have all the upgrade pieces, or just the one?

I have a head, torso and waiting for the shouler to come in. I'm using Death Company legs for a different pose, though.

This discussion has been closed.