As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]Making a new thread for the BWE. See you guys on Aspenwood soon!

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Draygo wrote: »
    You dont. No loot no nothing. If you want to level via pvp go into wuvwuv.

I perfer it this way actually, I mean while you pvp you dont have any real use for loot, or levels. And if there is leveling there must be loot, and the last thing you want is people on your team wasting time going after players instead of objectives for loot.

Competative PvP is about a level playing field, where the only objective is winning the game.

As many of us experienced in Beta, Wuvwuv fills up hella fast. When there's more people per server than there was in beta, it'll be even worse.
    So, yeah. Borderlands and Red on blue fighting is the best most of us will be able to eek out may times, especially during prime time.

Sooo you want exp/loot in rvb?

I dont. I want people going after the objectives. Playing RvB for the sake of playing RvB. Not for some silly PvE 'reward'. Levels and gear are meaningless in RvB, skins are the only reward which is given out through the glory system. its not that RvB lacks a reward, it lacks the PvE reward, and has pure pvp rewards.

As far as wuvwuv in primetime yeah, your going to have to hit the borderlands, I really dont see that as an issue though, unless EVERYONE is wuvwuving and all 3 borderlands fill up as well as the central area.

Draygo on
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    I can't think of a single downside to getting experience points from playing conquest

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Getting upset about how the overflow system works seems a bit silly considering this was their first major test for it.

I think it's a fairly reasonable criticism, given how it looks like they expected grouping to ensure all members of the party end up in the same place. But that's what beta's here for, and I'm glad to see something as important as this was found out at this stage.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I don't exactly align with madpoet's level of dissatisfaction but I think it's good that the devs hear it. When people are invested into a game like many of us are into GW2 it makes it hard to admit there are problems. Right now the overflow thing is a problem, and the responsible thing for us to do is to shout and bang plates together until it's fixed.

And while we're shouting and banging plates together, I hope they either make certain tooltips more clear or give us some sort of resource to know specifically what each ability does in detail. One example: when I was playing elementalist one heal skill I thought about unlocking had a tooltip that said something like "heals X damage (don't recall the exact number) and removes a status ailment with each pulse." And I thought "what the hell is a 'pulse'? Am I supposed to know what that is or how many I have?"

There are several small examples of things like this (that I don't want to list out here) - things that just confused me about specific parts of the game mechanics and wanted to know more about, especially if I'm about to spend skill points on them.

That said, my primary problem with GW2 at the moment is that I can't play it RIGHT NOW. But I don't want my enthusiasm to be interpreted as "nothing at all is wrong with the game, just kick back and relax until release." It's only right and proper that the GW2 developers sacrifice their free time, stress levels, and personal lives so that I can have a better game experience.

Also, I'm a little drunk because of friends being in town, sorry.

Yougottawanna on
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    I found it amusing how the stuck animation bug, which causes you to slide around instead of walking, has made its way from GW1 to GW2
    Overall, I ended the beta with a generally positive note, although it feels like the game needs quite a few more public betas to iron out all the little issues before release

I can't think of a single downside to getting experience points from playing conquest

I can.

You arnt getting the gear to go along with your level.

if you are getting exp you gotta get loot. If you get loot, the objectives of pvp change from 'team' to 'me.

I can.

if you are getting exp you gotta get loot. If you get loot, the objectives of pvp change from 'team' to 'me.

that is a weird logical leap
    why do you need to get loot with your level
    when you go back to pve you'll still be in the same region, downscaled to where you were at
    you'll have more trait points though, which makes sense because you get those for playing the game!

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

I can.

Most PvE loot isn't very impressive, especially compared to equivalent crafting made gear. A slight monetary gain would make up for any non-loots

One thing that I think needs work is the trait descriptions. Telling me 'marks do more damage' is vague. Is it going to be better or worse than 'leave a Mark of Blood when you dodge', which is explicit. Give me some numbers here!

• CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    The positive feedback loop in here is astonishing. I sincerely hope that more legitimate criticism is getting through to ANet, because my overwhelming impression of the BWE was that this is a game with a lot of work yet left undone.

Huggles wrote: »
    One thing that I think needs work is the trait descriptions. Telling me 'marks do more damage' is vague. Is it going to be better or worse than 'leave a Mark of Blood when you dodge', which is explicit. Give me some numbers here!

my guess is that those are placeholders
    they definitely aren't done putting text into the game

my favorite was that i had an event where the objective was "Rebels defeated killed: 9/10"

(yes i filed a bug report kate)

Uh

Ok... In theory, I go into conquest and play nothing but conquest as a dedicated pvp player.

Now I go to PvE as a level 80 with a level 1 dagger and no money.

derp. Sure i'm 'like' a level one, but how do i know what real level I am. If i walk to the level 15 area, and get 2 shotted because my armor sucks, and cant kill anything because my weapons suck, it can quickly become frustrating. Much better for me to be a level 2 when I should be a level 2.

PvP players have been pushing for the PvP game and the PvE game to be seperate for a long time. Its like getting 2 different games rolled into one. I have my PvP game, I have my PvE game. I can play both without one interferring with the other.

Uh

Ok... In theory, I go into conquest and play nothing but conquest as a dedicated pvp player.

and at this point because of the downscaling, you get to have skills but you still have level appropriate challenges at all times because your equipment did not scale with you
    you also won't have traits until you can afford the trait book, etc
    if you have MONEY from another character, you can buy those things and function at a higher effective level

i don't see a problem

Doesn't RvB gain you unique rewards via spending glory?

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Getting upset about how the overflow system works seems a bit silly considering this was their first major test for it.

I think it's a fairly reasonable criticism, given how it looks like they expected grouping to ensure all members of the party end up in the same place. But that's what beta's here for, and I'm glad to see something as important as this was found out at this stage.

It's a valid criticism, but you shouldn't be upset about it. Or anything else, for that matter. Save your disappointment and anger for a released product, and submit that feedback while they can still go hog wild with the underlying engine.

naengwen wrote: »

It's a valid criticism, but you shouldn't be upset about it. Or anything else, for that matter. Save your disappointment and anger for a released product, and submit that feedback while they can still go hog wild with the underlying engine.

Oh, I agree competely.

The only thing that caused me real problems was occasional texture popout. Sometimes instead of the camera zooming in when it collides with a surface, I'd lose all textures and just see the skybox. Sometimes it happened just walking around, but only with the camera pointing between NE and SE, weird stuff like that. Plenty of bug reports submitted for that, believe me! Probably an additional effect of limiting the processing to one core on the CPU.

edited May 2012
    Uh

and at this point because of the downscaling, you get to have skills but you still have level appropriate challenges at all times because your equipment did not scale with you
    you also won't have traits until you can afford the trait book, etc
    if you have MONEY from another character, you can buy those things and function at a higher effective level

i don't see a problem

Except I dont have money, I said that right there.

And as i said, i would have no idea what my 'level appropriate' would be, because I dont have that nice easy gear curve that grows with my level to guide me.

I could as a level 80 walk into that level 15 fight with level 4 gear. What if i walk into a 35-40 zone not knowing any better?
    Just believe me on this, it should be seperate. If you want to level as you pvp there is already an option, go to wuvwuv.

It is best to keep it seperate, there have been long and wordy discussions over it on the various dedicated pvp forums and the dedicated pvp crowd wants UAX, max level, everything availible, and no grind. Giving out EXP rewards would be frowned upon by that set of people. And that set of people has been asking for UAX from release in GW1. No grind, no exp, no gear drops.

it keeps things simple, no confusion.
    Doesn't RvB gain you unique rewards via spending glory?

yes, gives you skins for pvp items.

Draygo on
    i thoroughly disagree!

• DodosaurDodosaur Registered User regular
    I played a bit of the beta, and I have to say I'd probably prefer the original Guild Wars. They removed customizable skills, purely PvP characters, and the group vs. group fighting that made Guild Wars special. I mean, scaling is great and all, and in the beta there was almost always someone around to do events with, but in the few instances there wasn't the game didn't feel right at all.

Customizable skillbar removal was the biggest blow to me. Even with weapon switching and switching between utility skills, everything got very stale very fast, except for Engineer, Elementalist, and Necromancer. Engineers get their kits and Elementalists get four elements, and then they get their Lightning Hammer (rock on!) and then a Fiery Greatsword, so they have a huge amount of skills available at any time. Necromancer skills, even their utility ones, are so varied that I doubt it'll get boring quickly.

As for PvP, it kind of sucks going into PvP without having your weapons, armor, and traits scale up with you. I'd have preferred the original Guild War's ability to create a character just for PvP and use PvP rewards to obtain better weapons, armor, and skills. Of course, like in the original Guild Wars, I'd still want there to be PvE characters participating in PvP, with the addition of more customizable weapons and armor since they have to spend time in PvE getting it, but with PvP characters people won't have to get the highest tier armor and weapons to be as effective as their higher-level counterparts.

steam_sig.png
    As expected, you wernt there during the release of gw1 in the competitive pvp scene as it matured. RvB is built for the competitive player, and the features for that should be driven by that subsection of the population. Anet learned from those mistakes in gw1, and I hope they do not go backwards on it and start putting pve in my pvp.

Dodosaur wrote: »
    I played a bit of the beta, and I have to say I'd probably prefer the original Guild Wars. They removed customizable skills, purely PvP characters, and the group vs. group fighting that made Guild Wars special. I mean, scaling is great and all, and in the beta there was almost always someone around to do events with, but in the few instances there wasn't the game didn't feel right at all.

Customizable skillbar removal was the biggest blow to me. Even with weapon switching and switching between utility skills, everything got very stale very fast, except for Engineer, Elementalist, and Necromancer. Engineers get their kits and Elementalists get four elements, and then they get their Lightning Hammer (rock on!) and then a Fiery Greatsword, so they have a huge amount of skills available at any time. Necromancer skills, even their utility ones, are so varied that I doubt it'll get boring quickly.

As for PvP, it kind of sucks going into PvP without having your weapons, armor, and traits scale up with you. I'd have preferred the original Guild War's ability to create a character just for PvP and use PvP rewards to obtain better weapons, armor, and skills. Of course, like in the original Guild Wars, I'd still want there to be PvE characters participating in PvP, with the addition of more customizable weapons and armor since they have to spend time in PvE getting it, but with PvP characters people won't have to get the highest tier armor and weapons to be as effective as their higher-level counterparts.

this stuff was all in the beta, WvW and PvP are two separate things
    your pve character becomes a level 80 PvP character when you enter the PvP outpost, they know every skill and have access to every piece of equipment

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

I can.

Most PvE loot isn't very impressive, especially compared to equivalent crafting made gear. A slight monetary gain would make up for any non-loots

Someone else said this, may have been you, but it's wrong. Gear from crafting, from drops, and depending from vendors are on equal footing. The DIFFERENCE is that you can choose specifically what stats you want on the crafted item, and that's about it.

I figure you can make Mastercrafted(it's the Green quality stuff so not crafting exclusive) gear and even Gold quality gear with crafting too, just like once you're into the teens you start getting green drops/being able to purchase sweet green lewt from karma vendors.

Also did anyone else notice some karma vendors had an entire SET of recipes? I saw this in Diessa Plateau, the charr 15-25 zone. One had a full recipe set for Blood Legion armor, another for Ash Legion armor.

Gonna get on that next time :3... wonder if a non-charr can wear them...

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Dodosaur wrote: »

this stuff was all in the beta, WvW and PvP are two separate things
    your pve character becomes a level 80 PvP character when you enter the PvP outpost, they know every skill and have access to every piece of equipment

Yeah, it definitely was in. For me, the only complaint I had about structured PVP was that you had to make a PVE character go through the tutorial to enter it.

Then, I realized that I didn't actually have a problem, because by removing the distinction between "PVP character" and "PVE character" and turning it just into "character" that they really helped streamline things and make it so that I can use my character for whatever I want.

Also, Dodosaur, the Traits system is the replacement for the original GW Skill system, when you get right down to it. You have that awesome feeling of customization and the same level of excitement that comes from making a particularly neat build.

If you're just looking at weapon switching and utility skills, and you're ignoring traits, then you're doing it wrong. Which, come to think of it, if you weren't aware of the structured PVP, then you likely didn't realize the impact Traits have. :lol:

EDIT: Something VERY IMPORTANT that I learned: when you buy PVP armor, right-click it and send it to the Collectibles menu ASAP. That way all of your characters will have access to it (in limitless quantities, even). If you don't send it over and you delete your character, you'll lose the armor. D:

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    I'm stuck in a bit of an old-school (is that the right word?) mindset: I didn't so much as touch WvWvW, because I was never directed in that direction.

It seems weird that you can get the rewards of being lv80 just by skipping straight to WvWvW. Is that weird to anyone else? Maybe it's just me. I was content to experience PvE content for the moment, and gradually learn the game mechanics that way.

• CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    As expected, you wernt there during the release of gw1 in the competitive pvp scene as it matured. RvB is built for the competitive player, and the features for that should be driven by that subsection of the population. Anet learned from those mistakes in gw1, and I hope they do not go backwards on it and start putting pve in my pvp.

I couldn't agree more. Structured PVP shouldn't drop gear, and it shouldn't give experience. The way they have it now is perfect, honestly.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm stuck in a bit of an old-school (is that the right word?) mindset: I didn't so much as touch WvWvW, because I was never directed in that direction.

It seems weird that you can get the rewards of being lv80 just by skipping straight to WvWvW. Is that weird to anyone else? Maybe it's just me. I was content to experience PvE content for the moment, and gradually learn the game mechanics that way.

Only your effective level is boosted to 80 in WvWvW, you still need to unlock all your skills and traits by levelling up. The structured PvP is the only PvP that unlocked everything for you immediately.

All the rewards you get from WvWvW (the drops, experience, karma, coin) is tailored to your current (unmodified) level.

Edit- Basically, you get more health and hit like you were level 80 in WvWvW.

Cobalt60 on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

You don't get the rewards of being lvl80 in WvW because:

a) You are not strictly lvl80, you are only upranked to "80" so that there is some semblance of balance. However, someone who has a higher base level than you will have an advantage.
    b) Related to previous; you keep your PvE gear, skills and traits
    c) All loot drops and XP that you gain while in WvW is scaled to your base level.

Now in structured PvP you do get access to everything, but structured PvP is for competition not RPG progression.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • DuoRCNDuoRCN Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Structured PVP is the type of PVP that skips you to level 80 and gives you access to all traits/abilities/items that you would have at that level.

WvWvW levels you to 80, but you keep your items/traits/abilities that you have earned. There is a sense of progression, and as you level, you can buy base weapons/armor from the weaponsmiths/armorsmiths as you can in PvE. Enemies also drop loot bags, which seems to scale based on level. However, i'm not sure about the scaling, as I only entered for a short amount of time. I'm also not too sure on what is available through loot bags.

Edit: Meh, basically posted the same clarification as others.

There seems to be a need for some sort of guide or tutorial to explain things, because parts of the game seem to be overlooked completely. The ones i've found are the sylvari in WvWvW who gives you a nice overview of what's going on, and the entrance area of the mists, but it seems that people are not in the habit of talking to NPCs and miss out.

DuoRCN on
    edited May 2012
    Very interesting post on the GW2 forums:
    This is a general rule of our skill system. AoE attacks hit up to 5 targets. AoE buffs or heals can heal up to 5. We cap it at 5 because its the party size and lets us reign in the balance on AoE without impacting most normal situations. WvW is the one place where this shows up, but we believe the alternative is worse. Hope this helps…

I kind of figured out the thing about buffs as I was using the charr battle shout skill a lot in WvW. However, I did not realise that AoE attacks hit only 5 targets. That is very interesting, and I like it.

As expected, there are some priority rules, and they make sense:
    For enemies:
    1) Your selected target assuming they are in range.
    2) enemies based on proximity to you.

For allies:
    1) party members based on proximity to you
    2) non party members based on proximity to you.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • xgalaxyxgalaxy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Boogdud wrote: »
    I really enjoyed my time in the beta this week. The one thing that bugged me all weekend though, was the bad optimization. I fully understand the fact that the engine is unoptimized and it was nearly 100% cpu bound. But the performance in general bothered me very much. Just this morning I realized what bugged me about it. I heard the exact same thing during mid/later beta waves of Warhammer. The entire beta 90% of the people were in the "it'll be better at launch, it's unoptimized right now!" camp. Until release, then a month, then two months after release and the game performed nearly the same in high pop pvp/pve situations. It completely ruined the game for me.

So I'm left wondering if large scale pvp and open world pve are even possible. I mean, I want to believe...

Granted, if I have faith in any team it's arenanet.

I just want to chime in and say I had zero performance issues and was kind of baffled by how many people are bringing this up.
    I was in WvWvW most of my time and in zerg fests that must have involved at least 100+ people on the screen at once and performance was great.
    The only time I noted some slight sluggishness (maybe 30fps-ish) was on Sunday when all three servers were attacking the middle keep at once and we were sandwiched between both factions in a stairwell leading up to the second level and there was shit everywhere. The screen was literally full of people, particles effects, explosions, death and destruction.

My specs:
    i5-2500k
    8GB Ram
    Nvidia 560Ti.

xgalaxy on
    GW2: Rancid Cupcake (Necro), Ranch Dressing (Ranger)
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I was actually really shocked that you don't get exp and money from structured PVP. Hopefully something they'll reconsider

Still though you do from WVWVW so there's that

override367 on
    edited May 2012
    xgalaxy wrote: »
    I really enjoyed my time in the beta this week. The one thing that bugged me all weekend though, was the bad optimization. I fully understand the fact that the engine is unoptimized and it was nearly 100% cpu bound. But the performance in general bothered me very much. Just this morning I realized what bugged me about it. I heard the exact same thing during mid/later beta waves of Warhammer. The entire beta 90% of the people were in the "it'll be better at launch, it's unoptimized right now!" camp. Until release, then a month, then two months after release and the game performed nearly the same in high pop pvp/pve situations. It completely ruined the game for me.

So I'm left wondering if large scale pvp and open world pve are even possible. I mean, I want to believe...

I just want to chime in and say I had zero performance issues and was kind of baffled by how many people are bringing this up.
    I was in WvWvW most of my time and in zerg fests that must have involved at least 100+ people on the screen at once and performance was great.
    The only time I noted some slight sluggishness (maybe 30fps-ish) was on Sunday when all three servers were attacking the middle keep at once and we were sandwiched between both factions in a stairwell leading up to the second level and there was shit everywhere. The screen was literally full of people, particles effects, explosions, death and destruction.

My specs:
    i5-2500k
    8GB Ram
    Nvidia 560Ti.

Might be related.

i5-2500k is pretty much the best gaming processer out there, except maybe for the new extreme edition i7's. :)

Draygo on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I had some performance issues on my 2500k (4.8ghz oc) until the first server restart, then it ran like a champ

Graphics settings had no effect on my framerate

xgalaxy wrote: »

My specs:
    i5-2500k
    8GB Ram
    Nvidia 560Ti.

Might be related.

i5-2500k is pretty much the best gaming processer out there, except maybe for the new extreme edition i7's. :)

I only bring it up because I've seen people mention that they run 'beast machines' and were having performance problems.
    So I'm calling them out on their bull ;P

I have an AMD 6870 graphics card which is quite good, but only a moderate performance Phenom X3 for the CPU. The game ran quite well when there were few characters around, but in more populated areas the framerate became very poor and in large DE or WvW battles it was nearly a slideshow. As changing the graphics from low to maximum made no noticeable difference to performance I am assuming it is just CPU-limited beta issues.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • JaentherJaenther Registered User regular
    I had no performance problems in WvWvW either, but I did get intermittent heavy lag in the PvE starter zones on Friday, was pretty much gone by the time I got back on after work on Saturday.

Still, in response to Boogdud's post, there's definitely still work to do and not much we can say but that we hope and trust they'll do it. Still, if WvWvW this weekend proved anything, it's that large scale PvP is DEFINITELY possible. Also, that it doesn't take long for the teams losing early in the matchup to team up against the leader....

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    In regards to wuvwuv(we call it that guys get it right!) I wonder if the siege equipment is guaranteed to hit even if you can't really see where it lands. I built a catapult on a rock ledge near our main base in Blue territory, and was flinging rocks at the tower owned by the Red team. I could visually see I was likely hitting the walls/gate but I wonder if it was actually doing damage.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited May 2012
    Jaenther wrote: »
    Still, if WvWvW this weekend proved anything, it's that large scale PvP is DEFINITELY possible.

What's funny about this post is that I immediately envisioned my horrible experiences in WAR both in beta and at release, with how crappy and unstable both the client and server were.
    Whats depressing is even without those problems, WAR was still fundamentally broken because it only had two faction pvp.

xgalaxy on
    edited May 2012
    Even with my personal performance issues, I could tell that WuvWuv is going to be hugely fun. Doing small strike teams to take camps etc is great and then it leads into towers which you then reinforce and push on to further objectives. Securing a tower was really gratifying and I felt invested in it such that I fought as hard as I could to keep it in our control.

?.jpg

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Anyone found the jumping challenges?

I found one in Queensdale:
    Start of the cave:
    gw028gs.jpg
    And getting to the end. The chest contained a crappy focus, worst than the one I was using lol.
    gw029x.jpg

Challenges weren't really difficult, just a bit harder to pull off due to the fact that your character feels a bit floaty.

Slimcea on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.