As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Paradox Interactive] Divine Wind finally on Steam, NEW HoI3 expansion announced

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    *grumble* For some reason, EU:3 has started running painfully slow just a few decades into a game. Everything else still works just perfectly fine, so I figure it's something specific to EU:3.

Just annoying. Game running smoothly one moment, game "sticks" for a couple of seconds at the end of every day the next. Absolutely infuriating, no idea what's causing it.

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    so I took all of South america in my EU3 game and gave France about 10000 gold to keep up relations over the course of 120 years. I stopped playing so I could download Divine Wind and restart playing as Holland, again. All that work, for nothing.

Highlights from that game to 1650 AD -

DOWed Spain and forced them to release Castille - subsequently Spanish capitol moves to Africa but has provinces in Sweden!
    Castille attacks Portugal and forces the Portugese capitol to move to Alabama.
    Barbant attacks Burgundy on October 15th, 1399 and subsequently takes all but 4 provinces, then is acquired by me through personal union 50 years later.

The aspect of the game I really need to focus on and play around with more is royal marriages and funding revolutions in small states that will be turn over the country to me. I don't like war that much except when it is assured mostly because of infamy hits (look, you wanna cause a trade dispute, I'm going to make the world forget you ever existed.)

mrt144 on
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    My favorite moment in EUIII (Magna Mundi) was when I used my vast wealth to plunge the Spanish Empire into perpetual civil war. They lost nearly all of their colonies to independence movements.

My least favorite moments were warring with the Holy Roman Emperor. He is a massive dick, albeit not as much as he is in CKII.

Brian Krakow on
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    So...what just happened?

I started playing as the Duke of Muenster, I went through a couple of generations. Ok, at one point my heir (son) was married to a girl who is the heir to Moray (in north Scotland). Fine. Somehow, my heir gets imprisoned by the King of Scotland. I can't quite figure out how that happened yet. Then he dies in prison. Now -I- suddenly inherit Moray?

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So, for those who unbookmarked it (I was nearly one of you, and it's my thread!) there will be an update in the Succession Game when I get around to writing it in a couple hours.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    I still don't understand this game, but I enjoy playing it when I do :P

• KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    My favorite moment in EUIII (Magna Mundi) was when I used my vast wealth to plunge the Spanish Empire into perpetual civil war. They lost nearly all of their colonies to independence movements.

My least favorite moments were warring with the Holy Roman Emperor. He is a massive dick, albeit not as much as he is in CKII.

CR2 HRE is cool looking when you can get it going on 30 Year War style crises.

The HRE married into Poland and Hungary ruling families. It ended up a giant grey blob, but with three families that had claims on the throne, there was always someone wanting to declare war. If they tried to invade me, I would just kill the HRE and the thing would implode for awhile.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
    Holy crap. Something just clicked. I made King of Ireland (woo!) and went on a bit. But something weird just clicked. This isn't a game of conquest like EU3. This is a game of survival. I knew that, but now I KNOW this.

Time to start up a new game playing as some Earl or Duke in the HRE or something. This will be fun.

Goddamn divine wind is a harder start for holland

edited April 2012
    Fuck the HRE I diplomatic annexed hainut fair and square

mrt144 on
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    Unlawful imperial territory is the worst. It makes expanding in the HRE as anyone but Holy Roman Emperor very difficult.

teriferin#1625
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    And expanding in the HRE as the Emperor stupidly easy. Hey, free territory? Why not!

edited April 2012
    When you get a level 6 banker, you take as many goddamn loans as they'll give you.

Edit: Or not? Why did my interest rates get jacked up? Does each loan add 2 points of interest? Why? They should be fixed rate with each successive loan carrying more interest.

mrt144 on
    Bleh, my new Vermandois ruler has zero stewardship. I'm strongly considering surrendering a deposition war to get his son as the King. Or starting a new game... I do have everything west of the Rhein, basically.

• GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Ruler got his head caved in and became incompetent. Regent started giving away my titles... to himself.

Dude is getting assassinated as soon as I die.

Sounds like it's time for a reign of terror. Imprison and banish your regent once you get control back. Once you put down the inevitable rebellions it'll be DECADES before they mess with your family again.

• DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    So how do I press claims in CK 2? My son is married to someone with a claim on the duchy of Lothain that has to be pressed in war but the diplomatic screen with the King of Scotland says I don't have a CB.

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    Oh, right. Well my son doesn't hold any titles and neither does his wife (the one with the claim). Lothian is owned by Scotland. Also in the diplomacy screen for the King of Scotland CB is marked by a red X. He's definately in my court.

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
    edited April 2012
    Oh man, my Eu3 game just got good. So as I stated I threw in the towel on an amazing dutch game where I had all of south america. When I restarted with Divine Wind installed it was much more difficult. After failing about 50-60 times to start off (You know Burgundy fucks me, Barbant fucks me, France fucks me) I finally get a good peaceful start going. Stay away from alliances and make tons of royal marriages without pressing a claim for the throne.

then in the last 2 years the following happens:
    I somehow come into the luneberg throne.
    France fucks up burgundy hella bad and leaves them completely defenseless. Completely. Any time I stumble upon one of their forts each siege takes 4-5 DAYs.
    I quickly acquire all of Burgundy's remaining territory but can only demand antwerp, utrecht and gelre.
    I fund patriot revolts in limburg, and regular revolts in breda, barbant, and ghent. Nationalist rebels show up. Ghent delivers itself to me while breda reforms barbant kingdom. I subsequently conquer the new barbant kingdom and annex.

I love this game.

mrt144 on
    Sounds like Burgundy went bankrupt

Now france is wanting to start shit. Sending insults my way. Not making enough money right now to gift away their anger but I'll find a way to manage.

I have 19 royal marriages in my current game. When you have 100 prestige, 0 infamy apparently you're really sexy.

One of my advisers just wont die. He's a philosopher who has been employed for 62 years. Why couldnt my 8-9-9 monarch survive half as long.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Patch hit for CK2 just now:
    Change log for 1.05d:

- Fixed an MP issue where clients would go OOS if the host had clicked around on the bookmarks or time widget at all
    - De jure kingdoms can now assimilate into empires
    - Fixed a bug with the Crusade CB where the kingdom title was usurped even if the holder was not involved
    - Fixed a bug with the 'other_claim' CB where, on success, a title could be broken out of the top realm of the attacker
    - Fixed a bug with the 'other_claim' CB where it would make the claimants your vassals when it should not
    - Fixed some bugs in the new regency events
    - The hostility of attached armies is now determined by the army they are attached to
    - A very high opinion of the liege now has a greater effect on reducing the revolt risk
    - Can't pick intrigue plots against people with no possible backers (lacking courtiers)
    - No longer possible to revoke religious head titles, or plot to do so
    - Halved the Varangian Guard in strength
    - Removed some more initial Byzantine holdings
    - Reduced the initial Crown Authority of the Byzantine Empire a bit
    - Increased the initial Crown Authority of the Seljuk Turks and Mauretania
    - Fixed a bug with dynasty 715 having a historical CoA when it should not
    - Fixed another issue with de jure assimilation
    - Vassals in revolt who _attack_ an outside state will no longer make their pre-war liege hostile to the target
    - Fixed an issue with too many plots being evaluated for the quick plot button in the Character View
    - Fixed another issue with huge plot power values due to the wrong cached military power
    - Should no longer be possible to attach armies to navies in port
    - AI: Should never try to revoke titles off landless vassals (Varangian Guard, etc)
    - AI: Even more likely join a plot with the same goal a character is already plotting for, if the plot power of the asker is higher
    - Added trigger 'yearly_income'
    - Asking the Pope for an Indulgence now costs a minimum of 25 gold
    - Fixed a rare crash when a plot target died while you were inviting a backer in the Diplo View

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Yay for the OOS issues being fixed!

So this game is starting to get out of hand. I annexed Hansa, vassalized oldenburg, annexed hainut and liege (they were diplo released by burgundy), have colonies on all the islands in the Caribbean and am making quick work of the incas.

One of my favorite things in this game right now is "Incite Natives". No colonies for you!

Yay for the OOS issues being fixed!

That's not our sync problem though

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Huh. What determines how much Indulgences cost?

Your base income before costs are subtracted.

Huh. What determines how much Indulgences cost?

As with just about everything else it's your current yearly income

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So what factors into how messy of a civil war you get when a new ruler takes over in CK2? My Barcelona/Aragorn game recently had my king die from stress and the realm broke out into far, far more war than I had previously dealt with. Previously I might have 2 or 3 vassals try to strike out on their own upon succession. This time it was easily 10 or more.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Another CK2 hotfix. Looks like 1.05d introduced a bug with pressing claims for vassals. As long as they're landed, they should remain your vassal now.

- When you press the claim of a vassal ruler, he should now remain your vassal
    - Kingdoms that are not previously de jure part of an empire can now also be assimilated
    - AI: Fixed an issue with calling allies into single wars
    - Fixed an issue with the regency events
    - Fixed numerous typos in the database and event files
    - AI: Fixed a bug with rulers being able to nominate dead children to titles, if not of their own dynasty

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    That being a bug explains so much.

I bought Crusader Kings 2 last week and I've been enjoying it. Though I think it's turned me evil. I'm playing the Kingdom of Georgia starting in 1066, and I just had my firstborn son murdered to inherit his claim on the Kingdom of England.

gjaustin wrote: »

I bought Crusader Kings 2 last week and I've been enjoying it. Though I think it's turned me evil. I'm playing the Kingdom of Georgia starting in 1066, and I just had my firstborn son murdered to inherit his claim on the Kingdom of England.

One of us! One of us!

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Alright folks, I think I've discovered it: the key to Ethiopian survival.

1. Start in the 1070s after the Caliphate has been halved.
    2. Do whatever you can to get the HRE allied with you.

I booted up as Nubia (for the billionth time), and for the first time in vanilla I've survived more than a decade. Heck, the Muslims haven't even declared war on me, I figure because they're terrified of my alliance. It's freed me up to get an economy rolling, and after just a few years I had the cash to fund the manpower to almost outnumber Axum... declared a Holy War on em' when they tried to attack Abyssinia and took Axum in the name of Glorious Nubia. Back to building castle villages and walls for several years, then Harer tries to Holy War on Abyssinia (for Gondar)... so I do what any respectable Nubian king (aka, any opportunistic type fighting for survival through any means possible) would do and promptly call my own Holy War on Harer. Combined with Abyssinia's forces, we forced the Muslims out of the Horn of Africa, and Harer joined Glorious Nubia.

Few more years, mostly just raking in cash now, and I line the right pockets down in Abyssinia... and successfully plot to off the King of Abyssinia, splitting his counties between his bajillion sons. Nubia can field more than twice the numbers, so a third Holy War down Ethiopia way, and after only sieging one county (and only three of the four holdings), Abyssinia cedes Gondar to me.

So now, with the exception of one county (Sennar), I have all of de jure Abyssinia plus the two counties of Aswan that I started off with. Gondar and Harer are even being super awesome about it and have begun the process of assimilating into de-jure Nubia. Once my treaty expires, Axum can join em'.

Still, it's a long road ahead. Both of my rulers so far have had the HRE alliance to help em' out, and even halved from 1066 the Caliphate can field multiple times the troops I can. Still, it's keeping them at bay, something it didn't do back in 1066. Ultimately I may need to try and culture switch... maybe Russian, for the infantry defense bonus buildings. And maybe someday the Caliph will die (weird, I could swear they're supposed to die every five years...), and I can ninja in while they're in turmoil to do some damage to em'.

But it's almost 1100, and Nubia survives. If only all these damned Monophysites would hurry up and start giving me proper taxes and levies.

Phyphor wrote: »

One of us! One of us!

And I managed to get myself murdered by the Queen of the Cumans for all my trouble of being a Tyrant and Kinslayer.

It might be time to be less evil.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Debating killing my wife. I pressed her claim on the Duchy of Anjou but didn't realize she would go independent on me. Our son is her heir... If I make him landed, would he stay my vassal if she were to have a shaving accident?

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

One of us! One of us!

And I managed to get myself murdered by the Queen of the Cumans for all my trouble of being a Tyrant and Kinslayer.

It might be time to be less evil hire better assassins.

FTFY

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Man, I've put 65 hours into CK2 Vanilla.

Time to mod up to CK2+.

I've been using my own mod for most of my play. I mainly just edited the job files to add another modifier at a skill of 25. Vanilla stops at 13. I also bumped up the dynasty opinion modifier to 25 and reduced truce times to 1 year. Oh, and added a custom delayed tooltip to show more information (like ID number, great for console commands). It's amazing how moddable this game is. I love it.

Debating killing my wife. I pressed her claim on the Duchy of Anjou but didn't realize she would go independent on me. Our son is her heir... If I make him landed, would he stay my vassal if she were to have a shaving accident?

I think so, as long as your title is King or higher.